Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ER+PR-HER-

Options

Comments

• kal21
    kal21 Member Posts: 20
    edited December 2011
    Options

if you are PR- the tamoxifen will NOT help. hard to explain why here. I don't have the info right in front of me now, or I would explain. If you hear anything please write.

• kal21
    edited December 2011
    Options

Can not the moderaters help answer the ER+ PR- Her 2 - questions?

Why also can the biopsy report with two different labs checking be different than a surgical one??

Than I read on different site biopsy better next report says surgical..

No wonder this is sooo upsetting to us.

• mammalou
    mammalou Member Posts: 293
    edited December 2011
    Options

I don't think it is a given that the tamoxifen won't work. I think it is a possibility that there might be tamoxifen resistance.

• PLJ
    PLJ Member Posts: 65
    edited December 2011
    Options

If you go back and read the entire thread, you'll find the information you are seeking.

HTH,

PLJ

• christina1961
    christina1961 Member Posts: 450
    edited December 2011
    Options

It is not true that tamoxifen will not help if you are PR-.  I am PR- and low estrogen positive. I will be starting tamoxifen in February.  There is a recent publication in the Lancet that is available as full text on the internet that reports the effectiveness of tamoxifen on PR-, even with low ER positivity. I will try to find it later and post a link to it when I leave work.

• kal21
    edited December 2011
    Options

I will look at the lancet site. I read the oposite though on a oncology site cancer center.

Guess there is always the opposite  answer if you look long enough.

Also is there a board who talks about.. when people assume since treatment is done you are cured!!

• christina1961
    edited December 2011
    Options

Bar,

Here is the link to the summary of the results of the recent meta analysis published in the Lancet in July 2011.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(11)60993-8/abstract

I found this very helpful as I only have 5-10% ER with intermediate staining. If you register for free you can access the full article and get updates in your email on other published articles in the Lancet.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,962
    edited December 2011
    Options

Thanks Christina!

• christina1961
    edited December 2011
    Options

You are welcome!  This made me feel better - even the results for those with 4-10% look encouraging to me although they didn't interpret them as meaningful in the analysis. I look for hope wherever I can find it.

• IllinoisNancy
    IllinoisNancy Member Posts: 99
    edited December 2011
    Options

Hi,

I'm ER+ PR-, HER- and I was on Tamoxifen for 4 years when it came back to the same breast and the same kind as the first time, ILC.  I'm on Arimidex now and hope it works better than the Tamoxifen.  I also had the Oncotypedx and it was a 9.

• kal21
    edited December 2011
    Options

Christina,

Thanks, I will read the info.I have also wrote every place I can with that ? so we shall see.

• kal21
    edited December 2011
    Options

Yes it looks like any ER+ tamoxifen is a good thing but when PR - is involved that changes..

• christina1961
    edited December 2011
    Options

I went for a consult out of state at UNC Chapel Hill when I found out I was ER positive, PR negative.  I asked whether I might be tamoxifen resistant and the oncologist there told me she didn't have any reason to believe that I would be tamoxifen resistant.  My local oncologist said that HER2+ is a factor in tamoxifen resistance and because I am HER2 negative, I will be more likely to obtain benefit from tamoxifen. I am also EGRF negative (HER1). That is why I will start on tamoxifen as soon as I get through this clinical trial of chemo.  All three oncologists I have seen are in agreement on taking the tamoxifen although one of them doesn't believe my 5-10% ER receptors are enough to make much difference.  She said my cancer would behave more like a triple negative.  

• mammalou
    mammalou Member Posts: 293
    edited December 2011
    Options

Thanks for the article.  That was very encouraging.

• kal21
    edited December 2011
    Options

Yes that was helpful and at least someone says to take it. I don't think I ever had her 1, what is that?

• bak94
    bak94 Member Posts: 652
    edited December 2011
    Options

I am 3% er pos under 1%pr pos ond her2 neg, never had the her 1. My mo said we would retest the tumor after neoadjuvent chemo, as those results were from a biopsy. Well, good news is I had a complete pathological response! I am happy, but I can't retest. My biopsy was tested twice already. MO want to put me on tamoxifen, not sure I want to be on it for 3%. I just don't know what to do.

• christina1961
    edited December 2011
    Options

Bak, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidermal_growth_factor_receptor

You found this link! If you go to the past posts you will see a lot of different articles posted.  Here is a link about EGFR or HER1:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidermal_growth_factor_receptor

• pebee
    pebee Member Posts: 96
    edited December 2011
    Options

I would be careful with wikipedia - anyone can post there.  Did the article give references?

• kal21
    edited December 2011
    Options

Bak94..Don't quite understand but if you are triple neg.. don't think tamoxifen works..

We just have to keep researching ourselves.

• christina1961
    edited December 2011
    Options

pebee, Yes, there were references.

I'm not a big Wikipedia person either, but figured it would be ok for a definition of the EGFR protein. Here is another definition from a generalized medical website:

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=32387

• kal21
    edited December 2011
    Options

My  surgeron opinion was same as MO.. Since on all test I was ER+ not to worry about the PR-So guess I will go with that for now but will keep reasearching..  

• carmelle
    carmelle Member Posts: 133
    edited January 2012
    Options

I was ER+ PR- and HER-. I was 38 pre-meno..ovary removal, arimidex for 5 years, now coasting.

I think it's good to know your details especially when it comes to BC being hundreds of types of disease.

Michelle

• pebee
    pebee Member Posts: 96
    edited January 2012
    Options

Carmelle - if you don't mind me asking....

I was 46 pre-menopause when diagnosed.  I **may** be in chemo-induced menopause now, but no one knows.

How did the decision to get your ovaries out?  I have asked and have been told that it won't make a difference (but the MO can't show me the studies)

• carmelle
    carmelle Member Posts: 133
    edited January 2012
    Options

i didn't stop mentruating during chemo. i had issues with hormones prior to bc diagnosis. i am also er+ pr- which not the best mix for tamoxifen. that was the combo. i asked my oncologist if he felt comfortable with removal and arimidex and he said yes.

• luckypenny
    luckypenny Member Posts: 13
    edited January 2012
    Options

Pebee

I am pre meno but in chemopause. Getting total hysterectomy next month. Am er + and slightly pr+ and her 2 neg. My onc recommended hyster vs just ooph and says lowers recurrence approx 5%. By doing this and taking ai vs tamox.

Prior to starting chemo I did lots of research and I remember coming away with strong desire to take ai based on that info. Onc agreed with me. Hope this helps. I realize that it is a very personal decision and not one to be taken lightly.

. I had huge tumor and 6 nodes positive.
  • kal21
    edited January 2012
    Options

Carmelle..

What did they say about tamoxifen and PR-? it won't work?

• Catherine22
    Catherine22 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi,

I am focal 1% ER+ and 'very weak' 10% PR+ and HER2-. I am also wondering about the effectiveness of tamoxafin. It is very encouraging to me to read that you had such a positive response to chemo.  :)  This is my first post. I am grateful for any help, news or suggestions anyone might have. Thanks, Catherine <3 

Diangosed Dec2, 2011 

Grade 3, 5.5cm 0/4 nodes. Mastectomy in January.  CAT scans in two weeks. Now awaiting chemo.

• ruthbru
    edited March 2012
    Options

I'm not sure about the tamox, Catherine. But I do know that chemo works best on grade 3 tumors.....so you can plan that it will kick cancer butt for you!

• beau
    beau Member Posts: 149
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hi All,

I just want to join the group and thank Christina for posting this thread as well all the comments other folks have made! I am very curious as to how much current research still leaves a big question mark about whether being PR - means we should stay on AI's longer ( because we might have a more aggressive type) or whether it is not well enough understood to say for sure.

Although I am listed as PR -, I did have a small amount of positivity (4.5%) , but that is below the protocol limit for being considered PR+.

One of the articles that was posted here used < 1% PR- as the proof point of PR-. Does anyone have an opinion on this or experience with what their PR score was ?

I am no doctor or scholar but just trying to see what other flocks think.

Also, I have been on Arimidex for over a year, but have considerable arthritis on it. I am thinking of trying Aromasin to see if my joints feel any better. Anyone else switch with success?

Best to all, Beau

• ruthbru
    edited April 2012
    Options

My PR was zero. My estrogen was only 25%, so my oncologist wants me off after the 5 years as he feels the risks will outweigh the benefits at that point.

It sure would be worth a try to switch, lots of people who have trouble with one AI don't with another.