Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage 3 triple negative survivors over 3 years out

Options

Comments

• yellowdoglady
    yellowdoglady Member Posts: 52
    edited November 2011
    Options

Thanks, TifJ!

Happy is the best part of it now.  I just shared my first wedding anniversary with my sweetheart of 8 years.  I remember something Cher once said.  You can have the best job, the best apartment or the best relationship, but you can't have all three at once.  Maybe I had to pay double for this, but I have all three just now.  A loving cooperative household, a wonderful job, and a big yellow dog rescued from a bad situation who makes sure everyone knows it's a happy day every day.

Mccrimmon 324,

I think that wanting to get things the way you like them is part of the process, as is wanting a reward for the bad experience of treatment.  I'm more about wanting to clear out the stuff I don't need or want so no one else should have to deal with it.  No need to keep things that you can't use when others can and will put those things to good use.  I'm donating a lot of things that will help others and free me up to worry only about what is important.  And believe me, there are plenty of people who can use whatever we can spare right now.  

Someone asked me how life after cancer is different than other people who could be hit by a bus any day.  I said that the difference is that I have seen that bus and know how best to avoid it.  A different bus might not have the same effect on me.

So I'm giving thanks for everyone who is here, kicking and raising hell, and for those I have lost to cancer this last year; my stepsister and three friends.  I'll light candles for each of them on my table.          

• mybodymydecision
    mybodymydecision Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    Options

From a new diagnosed triple negative person so glad to hear the positive!  Love hearing survivor stories please keep them coming. 

• Lulubelle
    Lulubelle Member Posts: 45
    edited November 2011
    Options

3 years on Friday!!!

• yellowdoglady
    edited November 2011
    Options

lulubelle, never forget that you kick butt!!

Get busy and get ready to have a rest of your life!  It's an easier ride from here on out, or so I hear.  It certainly is, from what I feel. 

• yellowdoglady
    edited November 2011
    Options

mybodymydecision,

If you are new to this, all I can say is do not be too afraid to save your life.  The diagnosis is frightening, but the treatments for us are tailor made to save us specifically.  I expected much worse than how it went.  I was able to work through it all, with a day or few off over those weeks.  In short, don't sell yourself short.  You CAN do this.

• bak94
    bak94 Member Posts: 652
    edited February 2012
    Options

bump

• MicheleS
    MicheleS Member Posts: 196
    edited February 2012
    Options

3+ years here!!

xxoo

• ladyj726
    ladyj726 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    Options

Hi ladies im new here im a 35 year old black female and I was just diagnosed with stage 2 triple negative ductal carcinoma. I was in the shower just a couple weeks ago when i noticed the lump them my life changed so quickly! Im so afraid.and im so confused . This is tbe first time speakin about this, ive kinda hidden myself from

everyone and wont talk, i feel alone like why me! I start the begining of my many drs appointments starting tommorrow morning to prepare for chemo. Any advice?

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited May 2012
    Options

Welcome Lady! You are at the very hardest part of all this - it is so scary. Once you have a treatment plan in place you will feel better. I recommend you join a chemo thread - with others going through chemo at the same time. Unfortunately a new one starts up every month. These ladies will be a real lifeline for you. There is also a "calling all TNs" thread which is very active where you can get lots of advice and support. Good luck with your treatment and know you can ask anything here!

• MsBliss
    MsBliss Member Posts: 62
    edited May 2012
    Options

Not stage 3, but stage 1 (1.4), grade 3 (of course!) with a dirty margin of high grade DCIS.  In March I passed my three year mark for surgery (2 lumpectomies).  So far, so good.  I am also a rare case that did not do chemo or rads.....I am ever nervous 'bout it too......

• yellowdoglady
    edited May 2012
    Options

Ladyj,

You CAN do this.  Do not be afraid.  You are a proactive person, so you got going fast when you found a problem.  We are all here for you.

My advice is to get out a piece of paper and write down every question you have for the doctors.  Every last one.  When you have a treatment plan, talk to your closest family and friends about how you will need to do this, and see if you have their support.  Decide how to handle your job.  If you trust them, it's better if they know you aren't bailing out randomly, but may need a few days off for getting well.  I took a day or two off here and there and was allowed to work from home a few days here and there, and it all worked out because they knew what was going on.  But I had a good work situation to begin with.  Not everyone does.

And you might want to look into wigs or head scarves to keep you stylish and warm during chemo.  I'd send you mine, but they are currently in Australia, where the daughter in law of a friend from high school even younger than you got sick.  I'll look up where they came from, but I really liked the pretied headscarves.  They were so easy.  I never cared for the wigs, but that was just me.    

Good luck to you sweetie!

• netty46
    netty46 Member Posts: 68
    edited August 2012
    Options

12years out and local recurrence now same breast. Tn started chemo august 7th . Depressed and scared. All my scans were clear.after chemo surgery and some targeted rads. Just heard that the longer your out of the first cancer the better your prognosis and easier to treat. Hope that's true.

• thriceblessed
    thriceblessed Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2013
    Options

Stage 3 TNBC and this month I'm celebrating 3 years out from my last treatment!  In that time, I saw one kid graduate from college, one from grad school, and one get married.   Took a trip-of-a-lifetime to visit the Holy Land (something I'd always wanted to do and had kept putting off), renewed friendships with girlfriends I'd neglected, mended a relationship with my mom, enjoyed many more mini-weekend vacations with my husband as a couple than we had since before we had kids, began a 'second career' of fulfilling volunteer work with cancer patients, and ran a marathon.  The cancer journey opened my eyes to living life 'in the now'.  I'm so grateful to God to be here today to share this hope with you. Hoping all of you will be joining me at the 3 year mark soon.

• 4everStrong
    4everStrong Member Posts: 88
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hi laides.

I am stage 3 Just finished chemo and now waiting for IRM and lumpectomy. I am scared my ki76 is 80% meaning the cancer will come back?

• Winters74
    Winters74 Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2017
    Options

just curious how everyone is doing now??????? Newly diagnosed stage 3c possibly 4 after initially being diagnosed stage 1 last uea

• Redporchlady
    Redporchlady Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi Winters74,  I am not 3 years out yet but follow this thread as it gives all of us hope.  I am 2 1/2 years and feeling great.  I think the hardest part is mentally sometimes and plus I am not the same person.  I hope your treatments are going well and this is a great place to talk to others. 

• bak94
    bak94 Member Posts: 652
    edited February 2017
    Options

winters74, and all of you lovely ladies that are newly diagnosed- I was diagnosed for my second time as you can see on my profile in 2011. Here I am, still kicking 6 years later. I feel pretty good, but have suffered some of the late side effects of chemo. I won't get into that now, just know that so far I am doing good. I am so happy to see this thread being revived. I hope other stage 3 that are years out or more post, just remember as we get further out from our diagnoses we sometimes forget to come back here and offer support. Feel free to private message me or reply here if you have any questions or if you need a shoulder to cry on, I am here for you.

• KSteve
    KSteve Member Posts: 190
    edited February 2017
    Options

Winters - Just wanted to join in here. I'm 6-1/2 years out from Stage IIIA diagnosis. I am very grateful to be feeling wonderful and living life to the fullest. My daughter just got engaged and my son is in his last semester of college. These events will be even sweeter then they would have been pre-cancer. So sorry you've been diagnosed a 2nd time. That just sucks. Go kick a$$ again and kick it to the curb. Will be thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way.

Hugs,

Kathy

• sylviaexmouthuk
    sylviaexmouthuk Member Posts: 7,914
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hello bak94,

I was so glad to read your post and know that all is well with you. I spotted the thread you started back in 2011, had been revived. It brought back memories of when you were a strong poster on the thread I started back in 2010 and am still doing. I remember you, mmccrimmon324 and Christina31 all from the US, going through treatment together. You are welcome to pop in and say hello any time you like.

Wishing you well.

Sylvia xxxx

• jcpriest0469n
    jcpriest0469n Member Posts: 63
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi to all, just had my 6 month Check up and all seems good. I was first diagnosed Oct.2013. I've been feeling better every day. My appetite is back,but out of nowhere mouth sores return. I have been eating onions in my tuna fish. It's taken a couple weeks of eating bland good to heal. I am grateful for the time I have,but does anyone else have trouble with certain foods?

• Winters74
    Winters74 Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2017
    Options

well so far the AC seems to have done its job. My PET last week is showing me as NED but at a possible price. I had an echocardiogram prior to AC and heart was fine. Then, I just did another this week after completing the AC and it states "there is evidence of a aortic aneurism". Hopefully, it will turn out to be nothing. My doctor hasn't even called me about it. I just saw it on my online medical account. I start toxyl and carbo Monday weekly for 12 weeks. Then I got accepted into a clinical trial for the vaccine that is suppose to prevent reoccurrences in Nashville. My doctor is also talking about adding a hormone inhibitor since I was 15% estrogen positive. Not sure what good it will do since it is so low but I will try and do anything at this point to avoid hearing those words a third time of "it is cancer".Hopefully, with everything being done, I will be able to say in 10 years I survived this awful disease!

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 768
    edited March 2017
    Options

Great news on the NED although I'm sorry to read about the aortic aneurysm, Winters. I think AC more commonly affects the the left ventricle. My father survived repair of an aortic aneurysm despite being a heavy smoker. My 84 year old mother has had one for many years. It's monitored periodically, but surgical intervention isn't typically recommended until it reaches a certain size. I do NOT want to diminish the finding. Rather to point out that it may be something requiring no action for some time.

Lyn

• Jojobird
    Jojobird Member Posts: 95
    edited March 2017
    Options

Stage 3c survivor here, dx last March. One year anniversary.

I am NED and so very happy to be alive. Dear TNBC sisters, I wish you all long and happy futures.

Jojobird

• Kristiefranklin
    Kristiefranklin Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2017
    Options

hi my name is Kristie I'm in remission as we speak. I had triple neg breast cancer stage 3 with 19 limp notes removed I survived with chemo first the surgery then radiation of 34 treatments it was very had but scary I also have two girls but did not have the breast removed I was scared I'm only 36 just wanted to share I'm fine just keep up ur check ups cause our bodies are very aggressive.

Survivor Kristie good luck

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,996
    edited May 2017
    Options

Yay, Kristiefranklin!! Thank you for sharing your wonderful news and inspirations with the community! It is really appreciated!

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    edited May 2017
    Options

hello all

checking in at 18 months since dx, thought i'd chime in. I hope this thread stays active it is such an encouragement for triple negatives.

• Stirsa
    Stirsa Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2017
    Options

3 years and 3 months out! Stage 3b .... 14 toumors in my breast ... 3 lymphnods armpit, 1 under collarbone. Chemo, double masectomi and reconstruction and radiation:)

• Momy4ever
    Momy4ever Member Posts: 21
    edited May 2017
    Options

Stirsa,

Thank you so much for sharing. Wishing you long and happy life. May I ask did you have chemo before surgery? If yes what was your response. Did you have pathologic complete response?

Thanks

• Stirsa
    Stirsa Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2017
    Options

Yes, I was treated with cytostatic first because I had so many tumors that an operation was impossible. I received 8 doses in total 1 dose in every two weeks. My biggest tumor could be seen with the naked eye when it lay so superficial. After my first dose of chemo , you could not see it anymore. After my second dose I was on ultrasound, no tumors were seen at all. The chemo were very effective.! After my surgery, I was told it was a complete remission. I was sooooooooo happy! Been clear so far and i feel more healthy then ever. ( live in sweden )

• kayrem
    kayrem Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi - I am almost 6 years out from a stage 3 diagnosis. I have done a lot of fun things in that time. I still get scared but I think about this less and less every day. Look after yourselves, have faith that you will be fineand enjoy the moment as best you can!

Take care

Karen