Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Jewish Warrior Sisters

Options

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,775
    edited October 2011
    Options

Not very religious myself so I am writing this before sundown. I grew up attending an Othodox schul, but we were not really orthodox. Anyway, my daughter has an orthodox friend who is hosting a tichel party for me. Rather than giving scarves and hats for a new bride to wear, they will be to cover my soon to be bald head! I thought this was such a sweet idea and am really looking forward to it. I am always amazed at how unfailingly kind and generous people have been since my diagnosis. It may seem odd to say in the face of cancer, but the goodness I have experienced from friends, family and even some strangers has been very life affirming .

Caryn

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited October 2011
    Options

Caryn, what a thoughtful thing your daughter's friend is doing. Very often at tichel parties there is someone who shows you creative ways of tying tichels (something I've never been good at!) so in addition to being fun you know what to do!

To add to what others are saying: I grew up in Reform but in my late teens/early 20's started becoming more & more observant. SAB, I know what you mean about "seems like a dream" because that's how it is for me (in the opposite way!) when I think about my very young self and how different my life was.

I now live on a place called Moshav Matityahu. Eema, I didn't answer that question when you asked (I think in another thread, not sure) because the entire moshav has approximately 75 families so it's not exactly anonymous. However, just about everyone here knows, I don't have a job that I might lose, and I realized there's really no reason not to say it.

We had a fairly quiet Shabbat, which I needed after the chagim. Hope everyone has a Shavua Tov.

Leah

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hi Ladies,

Well, I hope you all had a great chag! I was so looking forward to a fantastic Simchat Torah, I really needed one after my endometrial biopsy on erev chag, and instead I had to have a colposcopy and cervical biopsy because my GYN found a spot on my cervix. She said she THINKS it is just vasculitis, but she can't be sure. Either way, the girls downstairs get evicted on Wednesday, but I get to be nervous until then, I guess. Our rabbi gave a great dvar Torah on Shmeni Atzeret about how the chag was designed to bring us closer to Hashem, and I certainly was talking to Him!

Im trying hard to be positive, but my record isnt very good right now. Erev Simchat Torah I had a few drinks with my datia friends and we danced behind the mechitza! It's funny, some of the more religious women looked at us askance, and I'm thinking, if you only knew how I danced before I became observant!!! Im being VERY "snius" for me! Anyway, the next day my good friend would not let me go with the gentile man who had been sent to take me, because I dont know him, and that CERTAINLY wasn't snius! So instead, she drove me and said if she had to stand in front of G-d and say "sorry, I decided to get drunk and dance with the Torah instead of taking my friend to the doctor for a biopsy" she would never be able to live with herself, so I let her take me. We are both such rebels. Actually, she did a big mitzvah, because we always laugh together in these cases.

Uch. The waiting is the hardest part. I'm going to go find some ice cream to drown my sorrows, if it all hasnt been eaten during the food orgy that is the holidays!

Shavouah tov, ladies!

• Eema
    edited October 2011
    Options

Oh, I forgot to mention. The cervical biopsy was STAT. When I was in the stirrups, she said she would have done it the day before, but she didnt have her scope in the office where she was. Great.

• Leah_S
    edited October 2011
    Options

Miriam Raizel bat Hinda Leah, I am davening for you!

Leah

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited October 2011
    Options

Eema I hope it is just vasculitis.  How long until you know?

I think it is easier to be observant in Israel...so much support and good company.  When I moved to Northern California there wasn't even an Orthodox shul nearby.  My brother is still Orthodox.  He lives in Los Angeles and he is with Aish, but his wife and children attend a Reform temple.  They joke that they have a "mixed marriage!"

• Eema
    edited October 2011
    Options

Thanks, Leah! SAB, I'm not sure, but I AM sure I will know before i go under the knife on Wednesday. Well, not completely. She might get in there and find something and have to do a different surgery. Eize basa!

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,506
    edited October 2011
    Options

Caya....my DD and SIL live on Bathurst near the 401.....maybe we can meet the next time I get to Toronto to see them...thinking of going over winter break.

Eama....will be thinking of you Wednesday......

Leah...I will keep you posted if I am fortunate enough to spent time in Israel again next summer and I would love to spent time on the moshav.....

Exhausted from the holiday season....it was a good time.....I leave Thursday early to see my parents in south FL. 

Be back tomorrow and will write more...Hugs, Karen

• karen1956
    edited October 2011
    Options

Sukkah is down and put away for another year...now to get back to "normal" eating!!! wonder how much weight I gained over the holidays.....this week-end I'm off to South Florida to see my parents, then the first week-end in November, we are in columbus for my niece's Bat Mitzvah!!!

• undercoverebel
    undercoverebel Member Posts: 574
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hi everyone,new here and just looking to say hello. Maybe even get a GOOD latka recipe. Never got to eat my grandmothers cooking but heard a lot about it. Like to try and make some traditional hanukkah food as well. That would surprise my dad for sure. Anyway glad to meet you all. Shannon

• crusader1
    crusader1 Member Posts: 114
    edited October 2011
    Options

Eema...Thinking about you on Wednesday..Hope all goes smooth with little pain.

Yesterday was the unveiling for my brother and my nephew. Both overdue but it was a sunny and very meaningful day.

This Thursday is the bris of my BBF's first grandchild ..He is named Ilan.Nice name for a child named after an I  person..

Once again I welcome all here and do wonder where all live..

Hugs,

Francine

• Eema
    edited October 2011
    Options

GYN called! Spot was endometriosis! Baruch Hashem for endometriosis! Hope it is just as easy Wednesday!

• SAB
    edited October 2011
    Options

Yay Eema! Happy to hear it!

Crusader, Mazel Tov on your first Granchild and a new beginning, especially after saying goodbyes this week...it is such a blessing and a reminder of the joy of life. I live in Nor California...I think many of us have a general location listed under our names on the left hand side.  

• undercoverebel
    edited October 2011
    Options

Happy to say i've tested neg for the jew gene-aka brca 1 & 2. One less thing to worry about.

• Leah_S
    edited October 2011
    Options

Eema, I'm glad to hear the results! Who would ever think you'd be glad to hear about endometriosis?

All the best for an easy surgery and an uneventful recovery.

רפואה שלמה

Leah

• karen1956
    edited October 2011
    Options

One year ago today I was in Israel...sure wish I was there again this year.....

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited October 2011
    Options

Eema - as I said on the other thread, I'll be praying for you. What's your Hebrew name? I'm Failah bat Chava.

Undercover - congrats on the brca test. That is a huge weight lifted off your mind.

Crusader - I'm in central NJ.

• undercoverebel
    edited October 2011
    Options

RACHELVK-thank you,it's one less thing to have to look for over my shoulder. Seems there's so much following me as it is-all of us.

• BlueCowgirl
    BlueCowgirl Member Posts: 132
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hello everyone...although I am not at all religious (half Jewish, half Christian, and celebrate everything), I feel strong cultural ties to my Judaism...especially the cuisine! And I think that Passover is the most beautiful holiday I'm aware of, in any religion...nothing beats a great Seder! 

So, who else's mom refers to the scarves they wore on their heads during chemo as "Schmates"(sp?)?

Undercover, my favorite latkes come in a manischevitz box. Actually my REAL favorites come from Rein's Deli in CT, but I don't have that recipe. But the manischevitz ones are actually really good!

Now for one more question...Who here is familiar with Croyden House seasoning? Anyone? There is a point to this, I promise... 

• exbrnxgrl
    edited October 2011
    Options

Good luck to Eema and Rachel. My Hebrew name is Leeba Shana. Yes, I call all rag like things, scarves, tattered clothing etc. shmates. My grandmother lived with us and I grew up in NYC so my speech is peppered with lots of Yiddish.

Caryn

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited October 2011
    Options

Of course "shmates".... a great word. Nothing like it in the English language. It's interesting how many Yiddish words have been adopted for the English language like "chutzpah" "shlep" "maven" There is no equivalent in English

• crusader1
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I definitely wore Shmates during chemo. Great word...Yes many of the Yiddish words have come into our English as colorful ways to describe so many things.

Exbrnxgrl..I see you are in California now. Where did you live in the Bronx. I grew up there and worked there for many years..

Eema..Hope all went well.

Bluecowgirl..I hate making   laltkes as I can't stand the smell of the grease ..But I do love the taste..

Undercover- Congrats on being BRCA negative.I do remember when I got that report.

I had a bad scare this week. I found a lump well above my reconstructed breast. Of course I had to have a biopsy and wait three days for results. We all know how that feels. It turned out it was some strange type of inflamation. Boy was I scared. I have already had one mastectomy for cancer and one prophylactic for my emotional well being. So this really scared me. Thank goodness for the good news . What a relief..

One year from today I will be in Israel. Tomorrow's bris is my my friends grandchils not mine but thks for the good wishes. We all welcome these Mitzvahs.

Hugs,

Francine

• exbrnxgrl
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hi Francine,

I grew up not far from Pelham Pkwy and Eastchester Rd. I went to PS 97, JHS 135 and Columbus HS. Then, I got adventurous and went to Queens College via 3 buses! How about you?

Caryn

• Leah_S
    edited October 2011
    Options

Oh my, friends from the neighborhood! I grew up in the Bronx (Marble Hill Housing project) and went to P.S. 122. Then we moved to Queens and I went to P.S. 13, JHS 73 and Newtown HS. I also went to Queens College. So the other good Yiddish word to be used here is - lantsman!.

Leah

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hi everyone. I made it through yesterday. And I think I had my first real chance to say "Thank you" to G-d since this started. Let's just say this has been a rough patch in our relationship!

If I can jump in on the Bronx conversation - I was born in Manhattan, but my Dad grew up on Kruger Ave. My mom's from Queens (Springfield Gardens).

Wishing you all a great day! 

• SAB
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Failah bat Chava glad to hear you are finally on the other side of surgery after waiting so long. I hope recovery is quick and easy for you.  What's next now?
  • exbrnxgrl
    edited October 2011
    Options

Rachel,

So glad to hear surgery went well besides a few "blips". Lots of people who went to my HS came from the Kruger Ave. area. It really is a small world.

Caryn

• crusader1
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hi ladies,

Rachel gald went well for you..

Caryn..I too graduated CCHS but I lived on the south side of Pelham Parkway and I went to PS 105 and JHS 127. I graduated from Hunter College..My best friend lived on Bouck Ave.I also taught elementary school at PS 89 right near 135 and not far from (97.) Small world.When did you graduate from CCHS?Loved your bio..My you have had many careers. I taught elementary school for 35 years.

Cruger Avenue was two blocks from where I grew up on Brady Avenue.

Yes we are all Landsman...

Hugs ,

Francine

Leah..My friends lived in Marble hill housing and I knew a few teachers at 122..

• Leah_S
    edited October 2011
    Options

Francine, I doubt if the teachers were there when I was! That was mid to late 1950's. Though I did like the school.

Have a Shabbat Shalom everyone!

Leah

• karen1956
    edited October 2011
    Options

Spending Shabbat at my parents in S. Florida.....dinner will be more like a family dinner than Shabbat dinner, but it will be nice.....I will help mom do the cooking as it seems over whelming to her, but its really not much work for me.......I brought my homemade challah.....she has kasha in the freezer...so all we need to do is make potatoes, green beans, salad and the chicken!!!!  WE usually have dessert on Shabbat, so it will have to be fruit or my mandel bread cookies I brought for my folks....

Have a great Shabbat.....