Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage IIb and 5+ years out, anyone?

Options

Comments

• ampmusic14
    ampmusic14 Member Posts: 31
    edited May 2021
    Options

selenawolf and nora_az thank you for sharing and congrats to you. My one year is coming up soon. I'll have an MRI in June to check my ta-tas. But every little pain and bump still freaks me out!

• bcat34
    bcat34 Member Posts: 12
    edited July 2021
    Options

9 years out from my official diagnosis today -- I am so grateful!

(My tumor was large at 4.1cm x 3.9cm x 2.5cm and I had one confirmed node. My chart noted an 8cm tumor?! I'm still on tamoxifen and still NED and keeping on mode. The good side gets and annual peek to make sure the previously biopsied fibroadenoma hasn't gone rogue. Happy to talk more about this if anyone ever wants to. I couldn't have radiation because of a family connective tissue issue. I honestly didn't think I would be here typing this 9 years out. Reading these 5+ years stories meant so much to me and still do so much. Much appreciation for everyone behind the scenes who have brought us all together.)

• cathy67
    cathy67 Member Posts: 411
    edited July 2021
    Options

BCat34,

Congratulations!!! I wish I will also type 9 years out later.

• CinD
    CinD Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2021
    Options

It's so good to still see some positive posts here. I know that one of the things that kept me somewhat sane over the years has been hearing the stories of long-term survivors, and I try to pay it forward.

I had my yearly appointment with my oncologist last week and after almost 12 years together, he has released me! Yep, I'm finally off the "need to be seen by an oncologist once a year list." My mammograms will now be ordered by my general physician, and my oncologist has instructed her to also run the tumor marker CA 27-29 test once a year. I still need to be overly diligent should I have new aches and pains, but when I think about it, we all should whether we have a history of cancer or not.

Almost 12 years ago when I heard the words "there's a little cancer in your lymph nodes" and "your cancer is Grade 3", I never imagined I would be here today writing about my release into the wild. My treatment included surgery and chemo, and I was on Tamoxifen for 10 years because I could not tolerate the AIs. My diet is much better than before I was diagnosed, and I try to move as much as possible. I've tried different supplements but now only take a good Multivitamin (Nature Made.) I have black raspberry powder every day in my oatmeal because it's supposed to be a great cancer fighter and I love black raspberries.

I'll continue hoping and praying for a cure and will remain grateful that so far I have been fortunate in this fight. Stay strong my fellow Stage IIers, and may we all have long, healthy lives with cancer being something that's only in our history.

• cathy67
    edited August 2021
    Options

CInD,

Congrats!! It is great news for you, also for all of us. Thanks for posting the news here, may God bless you and us!

• bcincolorado
    bcincolorado Member Posts: 4,700
    edited August 2021
    Options

CinD that is great news. I love oatmeal and love berries but have not found the powder to put on them. What brand it is and where did you find it? I know berries are not "in season" all year at a reasonable price but try to buy some year round anyway.

• CinD
    CinD Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2021
    Options

Thanks Cathy67, and I hope you are blessed with everything good!

Hi Bcincolorado, I buy the black raspberry powder directly from the producer berrihealth.com. They have a program you can sign up for where you get discounts, and I've gotten 25% off my last 2 orders. I usually place 2 large orders every year for the free shipping. I love it in my oatmeal with some walnuts. Amazon also has it for a higher price. Like everything these days, the price has gone up recently. BTW, I think I remember you from way back, likely the January 2010 surgery thread. I'm glad to see you're doing well.

• bcincolorado
    edited August 2021
    Options

I am hanging in there still. I have had some issues on my "non-cancer side" and now on a 6 month check up to make sure it does not turn into cancer too. I know they are being careful at least and read my mamo when I go in. Then go in for ultrasound to check again and at least give us results so we are not on pins and needles waiting to hear. Glad to know you are doign well too.

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited May 2022
    Options

Yes, indeed! I will be 18 years out in November!

• bcincolorado
    edited May 2022
    Options

kindergarten that is wonderful. Hope you keep on for awhile. I figured we are working hard to keep cancer from getting us for a reason to keep us going. We need to support each other as well.

• bcat34
    edited June 2022
    Options

10 years out from my official diagnosis today -- I am so grateful!

I noticed my tumor in the shower, just over 2 months after my 34th birthday. My tumor was large and very fast growing. (T2 N1 M0) at 4.1cm x 3.9cm x 2.5cm and I had one confirmed node. My Oncologist's chart noted an 8cm tumor.(?!?) It was taking over my entire small breast, and lumpectomy was not an option. I had to have chemo first (FEC-D) at the Tom Baker Cancer Centre in Calgary to shrink the tumor enough for surgery. My last chemo was the last day of the Mayan Calendar. Although the world didn't end, that was my last round of chemo.

Mastectomy and ALND in February 2013. Excellent patient care by a really kind team throughout. I'm so lucky to have been NED after my neoadjuvent chemo. I'm still NED and in cautiously keeping on mode. No one in this city except for a handful of people and my medical professionals knows I'm a cancer patient. My hair/lashes/brows were not the same after, but I have really good tips to share if you've been through FEC-D too. I had reconstruction a few years after my mastectomy, and still very happy with what I did on that front.

The good side gets a mammogram only (about once a year--Ottawa has massive mammogram waits) to make sure the previously biopsied fibroadenoma hasn't gone rogue. Happy to talk more about this if anyone ever wants to. This forum is the only safe space I have to talk about cancer as my family was not and still is not into talking about cancer and they find me morbid for wanting to recognize cancer-anniversaries. I've talked to cancer-savvy psychologists about what I went through with good results.

I couldn't have radiation because of a family (genetic) connective tissue issue. 34 year old me honestly didn't think I would be here now at age 44 typing this 10 years out, especially because I could not have rads. Reading these 5+ years stories meant so much to me and still do so much. Much appreciation for everyone behind the scenes who have brought us all together.)

• bcincolorado
    edited June 2022
    Options

bcat34 congrats on making it that far and being your own advocate and finding a safe place to talk as well which is important as well. May you continue to remain ok for the foreseeable future.

• bcat34
    edited June 2022
    Options

Thank you bcincolorado. Your kind words are very much appreciated (and I know I'm not alone in that sentiment.)

• cathy67
    edited July 2022
    Options

bcat34,

Congratulations!!!

• toronto-girl
    toronto-girl Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2022
    Options

Very Happy to say I'm 10+ years post diagnosis! Life for me is very enjoyable with lots of interesting twist and turns that I have the energy for. Hang in there guys

• bcincolorado
    edited July 2022
    Options

Good for you!!!

• ampmusic14
    ampmusic14 Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2022
    Options

Bcat34 thank you so much for sharing!

• DxStageII2020ugh
    DxStageII2020ugh Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2022
    Options

Very cool to read your story! I was dx in April 2020 - two years out now and feel so lucky to be here. I am on lupron and arimidex to keep me in menopause and I'm just now stopped with the crazy hot flashes and adjusted to all the new muscle aches. Still waiting to get my double DIEP flap.

• maureen1
    maureen1 Member Posts: 87
    edited August 2022
    Options

I am Stage II and very grateful to reach 10 years since my diagnosis on July 31st of 2012. I am still taking Tamoxifen. Otherwise my life is full of the joys of children, grandchildren and marriage that I thought I might not have when I was first diagnosed especially since I had positive lymph nodes. I wish you all success in your treatment and happiness in the years ahead, (((hugs))) Maureen1

• pebblesv
    pebblesv Member Posts: 486
    edited August 2022
    Options

Wow maureen1 thank you for that update! I'm glad to hear you're on tamoxifen and have been doing well as I'm also on tamoxifen.

And also thank you to others who posted - this is such an inspiration for those of us still going through it. I'm 4 years out since this all started and just received that awesome mammogram letter that says, "We are pleased to inform you that there is no evidence of breast cancer on your recent Mammogram and/or Ultrasound." Honestly, I want to frame that letter!

• bcincolorado
    edited August 2022
    Options

I often put mine up with a magnet with the grandkids pictures and those they drew us. Figure it is something to be glad about.

• cathy67
    edited August 2022
    Options

maurren1,

Congrats to the ten years anniversary! Pray myself same anniversary several years later.

• malebreastc
    malebreastc Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2022
    Options

I was stage 2b initially and was clear for 17 long years, unfortunately have recurrence since last year..

• bcincolorado
    edited August 2022
    Options

Sorry to hear that. Best wishes to you.

• msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 185
    edited September 2022
    Options

hello sweetie here comes your encouragement I am a 28yr Survivor Praise God. Diagnosed at 42 yrs old while planning our 2nd marriages. Idc stage2 0/3 nodes 3 mo chemo before and after L mast got married then rads 7 wks and 5yrs on tamoxifen. Hope this Inspires others. msphil

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 774
    edited September 2022
    Options

I'm 13 years out. Triple positive, Stage 11a. All is well.

• brinkofeternity
    brinkofeternity Member Posts: 181
    edited September 2022
    Options

I’m 4 years out. Found out recently my initial MRI showed a potentially positive node but by the time I had my surgery after neoadjuvant chemo, my sentinel nodes were clear. Thank God!

• colt45
    colt45 Member Posts: 381
    edited February 2023
    Options

My wife is 10.5 years out. Doing great.

Prayers to all

• bcincolorado
    edited February 2023
    Options

Wonderful!!!! May it be 20 years out or more!!!

• cathy67
    edited February 2023
    Options

colt45,

Thanks for the good news, it encourages me move forward! I am already 3.5 years, and next chekcup is in May.