Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage IIb and 5+ years out, anyone?

Options

Comments

• Judy_Mc
    Judy_Mc Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hello All,

Just thought it was time I checked in with you all.I was diagnosed in March of 2003. Yes that's right 16 years ago.I was stage llB. I had a Mastectomy and 35 radiation treatments. I did not have reconstruction.I refused Chemo based on some research I did way back then.After that I had 6 years of Arimidex.I have had a couple of scares but it has not come back. I am now 76 years old and this year I refused to have a mammogram.As usual I will do it my way.I have excellent health and still ride my horse and spend my time as a volunteer in dogs rescue. We are leaving tomorrow for our 16th trip to Europe.Celebrating our grandson's High school graduation. He wasn't even born when I was DX.

See ladies,you can do this.

Judy

• Houston2016
    Houston2016 Member Posts: 248
    edited June 2016
    Options

Wow, your diagnoses are very similar to mine. The only thing is my Dr. suggested chemo first before surgery which I am doing. I'm wondering of the quantity of rads you had is that normal?I agreed it's important to live and enjoy life in the moment. Good for you! I just hope will have the same outcome and enjoy my life as normal again. Cheers.

• BRACA1
    BRACA1 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2016
    Options

Diagnosed 2006 10 years now! Still taking Femara

• flannelette2
    flannelette2 Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2016
    Options

8 years out - diagnosed about this time in 2008. Mx, chemo, rads, arimidex for 5 years, I think that eneded at the start of 2015. My name was Flannelette but through some techno-problem I lost that, so became Zucchini. First time here in a long time, though I was a regular - every day for about 7 years. I notice changes in treatments, and, interestingly, see people getting FEC in the US. For me, Canadian, FEC seemed to be common, but not at that time for US - please correct me if I'm wrong.

• nowheregirl
    nowheregirl Member Posts: 55
    edited July 2016
    Options

11 years ago, I was told I had stage IIb breast cancer - 3cm+ tumor along with 1 positive node out of 9. I only had a lumpectomy but I am still here, alive and kicking.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited July 2016
    Options

Congratulations nowheregirl. So good to see you!

• LizM
    LizM Member Posts: 46
    edited July 2016
    Options

Houston2016, I just saw you post. I did change my lifestyle after my diagnosis. Whether that has had anything to do with being around with no evidence of recurrence (knock on wood) 11 years after diagnosis, I have no idea. However, it does make me feel like I am actively doing something to prevent recurrence. After I was diagnosed, I stopped drinking alcohol for the most part. I was drinking one glass of red wine a day before diagnosis. Everything I read states that even one drink elevates your estrogen level. Currently, I have 3 or 4 glasses of wine a year on special occasions and that's it. I also changed my diet. I buy organic foods and body products, I stay away, if possible, from soy products, and other foods/herbs which are estrogenic. I don't eat a plant based only diet but stay away from all dairy and meat unless it is grass fed and hormone free. I drink 3 to 4 cups of green tea a day, and I drink a protein shake (Orgain nutritional shake) daily to ensure I get enough protein. I drink ginger tea every morning, which helps my acid reflux (quit taking PPI's/etc) from Femara, and also keeps my liver enzymes at good levels while taking Femara (they were elevated a couple of times). Ginger is also a strong anti-inflammatory, and I don't take Advil or aspirin anymore because I took too many my first five years after treatment and my stomach can't handle them anymore. Ginger does the trick now with much less side effects. Was on Fosamax plus D for 7 1/2 years and had one yearly infusion of Reclast for osteopenia. I only take a multi, calcium, and Vitamin D (2,000). I exercise (mainly walking) because exercise reduces your estrogen, and most importantly I try to stay thin. I was underweight when diagnosed but put on a few pounds with Femara but my BMI is still 20. Also, I have 30 more pills of Femara and I am done after 10 years. I'm a little scared to be without my little pill (safety blanket) every night before I go to bed but I am also anxious to see if I feel better physically as well as emotionally.

• pboi
    pboi Member Posts: 148
    edited July 2016
    Options

LizM...thx for your post and congrats on your 10 years on Femara...wow! I've had reflux issues since chemo and it now continues on Arimidex. I'm interested in the ginger tea you use? Do you make it? Buy it? Thx!

PB

• LizM
    edited July 2016
    Options

I buy it from my local organic market. Either Traditional Medical Organic Ginger Tea (not Ginger Aid) or other brands with 100% ginger root, nothing else, and steep for 10 to 15 minutes. I discovered the wonderfulness of ginger a couple of years ago. Not only for digestive issues but as an anti-inflammatory. It does thin your blood so be careful if you take any other blood thinning medications, to include NSAIDS and aspirin. Sometimes if I use ginger tea and take NSAIDS I bruise easily. I drink first thing in the morning before any food or other drink, just like you do with PPI's

• lunderwood
    lunderwood Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2016
    Options

Thank you all for the feedback! This is a question that I too wondered especially since I have just completed a UMX and am now waiting for final pathology to determine what follow-up treatment is needed. Your responses are so encouraging!!!!

• Bellini3
    Bellini3 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi everyone. I've been meaning to post- since I made 5 years late last year. Am well- a few hiccups along the way, but remain in remission. I was 34 at diagnosis and didn't think I'd make it to 40- but here I am!

• Houston2016
    edited July 2016
    Options

Lizm- Thank you so much for sharing. It definitely sparks some interest for me am still under treatment. I was never a big meat eater but I love fish and tofu. I heard about soy with phytoestrogen but it is highly recommended wherever I read. Has any other ladies 2b survivors eating tofu or fish as part of your diet? I also drink green tea but will try ginger tea too.

Nowheregirl- I'm curious if you received treatment in Japan 10 years ago? Did you have to change your lifestyle or diet as well? Thanks for sharing your experience.

• Monica1971
    Monica1971 Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi all, I was diagnosed on July 27, 2011 - Stage 2b - 1 tumor 1.9cm and 2 smaller satellite tumors. 1 very large lymph node out of 20. ER+/PR+, HER2-. Thought my life was over - my kids were 4 and 6 at the time. 6 rounds of TAC and 33 rounds of radiation. I was on breastcancer.org every day, many times a day - am doing great, rarely come back here anymore - but it sure helped me for the first year! Life returns to normal, feel free to ask anything - would love to help out as I had many wonderful ladies help me out when I was diagnosed. There is light at the end of the tunnel! xox

• colt45
    colt45 Member Posts: 381
    edited August 2016
    Options

Monica1971,

Bless you for returning to foster the real hope that exists for so many fighting as they push to get to the end of that tunnel.

• LM070917
    LM070917 Member Posts: 68
    edited August 2016
    Options

That's great news Bellini, it's nice to hear of a pre menopausal diagnosed woman still doing well. I was also 34 at diagnosis.Here's to many many more years to come.

• LizM
    edited August 2016
    Options

Houston2016,

I stay away from soy for the most part. I have read so many things about phytoestrogens over the last 11 years. There appear to be arguments for both sides as far as it being good or bad for those of us with hormone receptor positive breast cancer. I do eat fish: wild caught Alaskan salmon and tuna, halibut, rainbow trout, and cod. I try to eat cold water fish from up north and/or organic/wild caught. Also, I have been told I should eat organic beef for vitamin b12, which I try to eat once a week or at least bi-weekly.

• Houston2016
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi, I would like to know if you have lumpectomy to the tumor breast? Did your tumor shrink through alternative treatment? Thanks.

• leftduetostupidmods
    leftduetostupidmods Member Posts: 346
    edited August 2016
    Options

Will be 7 years out in October. Had BMX, chemo and ALND (refused radiation). Then AIs for 3 years (couldn't take more). Had a few scares along the way but still officially NED.

On a low carb diet, taking melatonin and Vit D3.

• Bellini3
    Bellini3 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2016
    Options

Thanks Lottemarine. I'm in Australia too. Hope all goes well for you too. And Houston- I had mastectomy after lumpectomy. Congrats seachain on 7 years!

• Houston2016
    edited August 2016
    Options

Nowheregirl, I read your post and curious. We have identical diagnoses and I also started with AC+ Taxol. I have four more Taxol and my OC discussed today that I need to wait three weeks after my last Taxol before I can have surgery. Did you also do the same? I was worried about cancer in three weeks but it seemed that you had hormone therapy before surgery? Also how come you have to take Taxol again after your surgery? Thanks much for sharing!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited August 2016
    Options

Houston2016 if I'm readying this correctly Nowheregirl had surgery first, then chemotherapy. Now many have chemo first followed by surgery. A lot has changed even in 6 years from when I was treated.

Also note she is also from Japan. The protocol might be a little different there.

• Houston2016
    edited August 2016
    Options

I think her dates stated she had chemo then surgery. Here the protocols for having neoadjuvant chemo to shrink the tumor prior to surgery is not uncommon. It is usually for those with early stages and wants breast preservation.

• fd1
    fd1 Member Posts: 55
    edited August 2016
    Options

It's officially been five years since I first went to the doctor with a lump. It ended up being cancer, 2.1 cm, 2 nodes positive, and extremely ER/PR positive. I was only 30.

What a five years it's been: I got married, changed jobs, bought a house, got a dog... I've been given so much. Still, It's hard at certain times on certain days to not let what happened run my life or to wallow into the depths of why me. It still occupies at least a part of my mind everyday. Every time I see a baby carriage or a woman with beautiful cleavage, I feel to some degree loss. I guess time will never heal this wound completely. But I always remember that I didn't lose everything, that I am alive and, should I be so lucky, I'll stay that way.

• London-Virginia
    London-Virginia Member Posts: 109
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi everyone - I was diagnosed May 2009, had surgery, chemo, rads and mostly have been on Tamoxifen as I didn't get on at all with Femara. It took a long tie for my hand and foot pain to improve (oddly, it just suddenly went) and dry eye problems finally went too. I will keep taking Tamox for a total of ten years. I am perfectly fine, even though it was a ghastly set of experiences. I still think every day about this but now I am pretty detached and feel free of the crippling fear. I didn't think I would ever feel free again, but mostly I do. Without question, this site was the biggest success in terms of info swapping and support. I wish all of you well, in every way!

• Hildy910
    Hildy910 Member Posts: 227
    edited November 2016
    Options

I've wanted to post in this thread for a while, and as of yesterday, I can. 😀 IIb, 1 positive node out of 17. I had two tumors about an inch apart, so had mastectomy followed by dose-dense ACT. Since I also had extensive lymphovascular invasion, they recommended rads as well, which I did. Developed mild lymphedema despite being a so-called low risk profile for it. It's a PITA, but better than a sharp stick in the eye....

• opt4life
    opt4life Member Posts: 111
    edited November 2016
    Options

Good day, can I just say that I love, love, love this thread full of optimism and hope.

Onward and upward

• stephilosphy00
    stephilosphy00 Member Posts: 161
    edited December 2016
    Options

So encouraging! BUMP!

• flannelette2
    flannelette2 Member Posts: 11
    edited December 2016
    Options

Stage 2b and 8 and 1/2 years out from dx! I had the works including 5 years Arimidex and wouldn't have done it any other way. My tumour was huge, but as my BS said, not the travelling kind.

• jean1945
    jean1945 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2017
    Options

5+ years out but just found site. Keep your chin up Sundermom. There is life after treatment. Unfortunately, I was almost 65 when diagnosed and have had multiple health issues since then. My PCP believes they are chemo related, but I'm sure age is a contributing factor. But I am enjoying life with my family, especially the grandchildren.

• HoneyBeaw
    HoneyBeaw Member Posts: 150
    edited April 2017
    Options

Bumping this thread as its a great motivator.