Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in Nov. 2011...anyone else?

Options

Comments

• naan1004
    naan1004 Member Posts: 278
    Options

Hello everyone, I'm also starting chemo this month on Nov 22nd, just 2 days shy of Thanksgiving, guess I won't be having turkey with all the fixings...sigh.  Thanks for all the posts I've been so busy reading up on all the useful hints and advice that I am finally putting up a post.

• racerdeb
    racerdeb Member Posts: 114
    Options

naan1004,

Welcome!  I can't tell you how valuable this message board has been in helping me discuss options with my doctor, better knowing what to expect and giving me so many useful tips.  I wish you best of luck for your first treatment on Tuesday.  I'll be getting my (hopefully) easier weekly Herceptin treatment on that day also.

• Lory48
    Lory48 Member Posts: 266
    Options

Hey Deb, How are you feeling today??

• naan1004
    Options

Thanks Deb, I could use all the luck u can give me!!  Good luck with your treatment as well, wow, we're treatment buddies, on the same day.  I'll be thinking of u!!

• racerdeb
    Options

Fortunately, I'm still feeling pretty good overall - no major SEs.  However, I'm getting very tired from lack of sleep at night.  I'm going to try to take a good nap this afternoon.  I just had one of my favorite relaxers - beef bouillon with a hint of cinnamon.  Then I'm going to play some sleep relaxation music on my new Kindle Fire. 

Thanks so much for asking, Lory48.  I hope you're doing okay too.  When is your next treatment?

• bethu77
    bethu77 Member Posts: 263
    Options

Congratulations on finishing Terry! I am doing a happy dance with you. I can't wait until I can say those same words!!!!

• GrandmaV
    GrandmaV Member Posts: 1,045
    Options

naan1004, thank you for joining us.  This is a very encouraging group of ladies to join up with.  Do you know what your chemo combo is?  It helps to try find those with the same treatment to be able to compare notes with.

• naan1004
    Options

GrandmaV, I'm having ACX4 every 2wks, then TX4 every 3wks.  Haven't had any surgery yet, just a biopsy, is that normal?  From most of the posts I've seen so far most have had surgery of some sort and ports put in too, although my surgeon doesn't recommend getting a port put in, y?

• racerdeb
    Options

naan1004,

I think the timing on the surgery depends on the size of your tumor.  They may want to reduce the size of it first with the chemo. That's just my best guess.

Like I've said in previous posts, I really like having the port.  But then again, it's a personal decision.  Since you're not HER2+, you won't be needing treatments as long as I will (Herceptin for a year).  That was a big part of my decision - knowing that eventually threading the IV through my veins might become a big challenge.  I know the nurses prefer the port because it's easier for them to start the IVs.

• naan1004
    Options

Deb, yeah the surgeon did mention that they like to do chemo first to shrink the size, but from most posts I've seen so far most have had surgery, so a little concerned but I guess playing it safe is better, although they haven't told me I'm just worried that it might have spread elsewhere and thus the chemo first?  Although the mammo and ultrasound didn't show it.

• Lory48
    Options

Deb, I feeling pretty good.. little spurts of energy, then tired. SE's are minimal..had my "shot" yesterday, gave me a bit of bone pain, but not too bad! Oh anf my next one is 6 Dec

Naan, I too am triple negative, and having chemo prior to surgery.

• Bonseye
    Bonseye Member Posts: 124
    Options

I am so glad to have found this group and we can all share. I am starting my chemo 11/25.....the day after Thanksgiving. I am so encouraged and just working toward getting better. I had a set back with a staph infection, surgery, TE removed and won't be replaced until after chemo. All I know is that I want to fight this and come out on the other side healthy and I will be a survivor! They want to do the chemo to be safe....safe is good and I will just ride this roller coaster.....at the end I will celebrate the wonderful medicine available to us! Right now I have a PICC line for my IV antibiotics and hope to be able to use it for my chemo....the little things in life.....we need to stick together and blessings to you all on this journey!

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    Options

terry, i think i commented in another thread, but just wanted to say again, CONGRATULATIONS!!  

mardibra, i used the numbing cream and it was wonderful.  it never hurt when the stuck the needle in my port.  i highly recommend it!   

• naan1004
    Options

Lory, good to know i'm not the only one, thanx

• naan1004
    Options

Bonseye, yeah another person starting around my start date, we r Nov chemo sisters, hee hee :P

• bethu77
    bethu77 Member Posts: 263
    Options

I am going to look into the numbing cream. I think the oncologist should give us some to use instead of a prescription. I am going to use some of my friends before I buy it. I feel queasy off and on but I am doing better today...how is everyone else feeling?

• Lory48
    Options

Beth, I am having the queasy off and on.. but the weird cravings..?? I just told my husband I wanted a shrimp taco.. lol. Guess I will have to settle for soup..

• Lory48
    Options

So I just received a updated pathology report from my surgeon.. I have been upgraded to a 3A.. wow

• GrandmaV
    GrandmaV Member Posts: 1,045
    Options

Lory, I'm sorry to hear that.  What was the reason?

• YaYa5
    Options
    lory, sorry about the updated pathology report.  as grandmaV asked, do you know why it was upgraded?
  • racerdeb
    Options

Lory48,

I'm sorry to hear that too.  It's probably due to the size of the tumor and its presence in your lymph nodes.  Here's a link to staging descriptions that are on this website:

http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/diagnosis/staging.jsp

• racerdeb
    Options

Well, my nap didn't happen, so I finally called my doctor about my inability to sleep.

He said that it's probably due to the little green pills they gave me to reduce swelling after x1 on Tuesday.  I don't even remember what they called them.  He asked if I had also been hyperactive, and I told him that he must have ESP!

He said to omit taking the last two pills today, and I will probably crash and burn soon and sleep for two days!

I swear I learn something new every day going through all of this stuff, and I just thought I'd share it with y'all in case someone else has gone through the same thing.

• Lory48
    Options

It was because the MRI found the size to be larger and of course the node involvement..Well it is what it is..

• YaYa5
    Options
    lory, stay around here and we'll all help you get through this.  you don't have to do it alone.  
  • Terry71
    Terry71 Member Posts: 108
    Options

Thinking about you Lory and BIG hugs comin at ya ((((((((((((((LORY)))))))))))) 

• Terry71
    Options

and Thank you so much Yaya I appreciate that 

• Terry71
    Options

Bonseye- I had a picc line up until today, was taken out after my last treatment, they will use this for your chemo thats what its for....... and its so much easier.......

• Terry71
    Options

Oh and to make you all laugh DH says when I on my steroids Im like Mickey mouse on Perks hahahahahahaha

• bahamamom3
    bahamamom3 Member Posts: 275
    Options

I think we all deserve to have a meltdown once in a while.  I don't think of myself as a "whiner", but it just seems like there is so much to all of this-so many doctors' visits with different doctors, tests and blood work, surgeries, side effects, radiation.  I am beginning to wonder if it will ever be over. This has all happened so fast, and several times I have been just so overwhelmed by it all.  I cried for just a few minutes when my radiologist called me to tell me my diagnosis.  My husband was with me, and I was trying to be as positive with him as I could about it.  But I told him that I was a little scared (really it was a lot scared) and I cried a few tears.  Then this week when I had my chemo ed and the nurse was telling me that my hair would definitely fall out, I burst into tears again very suddenly.  I wasn't expecting it.  Actually, on her way to the waiting room to get me, she stopped by a storage room and picked up a new box of tissues.  i remember thinking that she probably needed that sometimes for other people, those who were not as "informed" as I have tried to become, those who were more worriers than I, those who were not as strong as me.  I was so surprised at myself.  I am much more concerned about the side effects of chemo and radiation, the port placement coming up, all the needles and IV's I have had and will have (they freak me out) than I am about my hair falling out.  But for some reason, when she asked me something about my hair or a wig or something related to that, I opened my mouth to answer her and all I could do was cry.  It was kind of embarrassing, and sure enough she passed me the tissue box that I had known I would not need.  So you certainly deserve your meltdown.  I can't think of any other illness that people have to go through so many things with. Just look at it this way.  You have accomplished so much already.  Every time you have a new procedure, treatment, lab or test, you are that much closer to the end.  Cry when you need to, then try to focus on the end result after that.

• Lory48
    Options

Bahama, I know what you are feeling, I think we all have mini meltdowns, major meltdowns..or just get angry! The port is the greatest thing ever! As I sat in my chair getting my treatment, many around me were having their arms warmed, then crying in pain as another vein blew..All I could do was hold back tears for those individuals. Chemo Tuesday, Nuelasta shot yesterday..a little nausea and a tiny bit of bone pain.