Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in Nov. 2011...anyone else?

Options

Comments

• bahamamom3
    bahamamom3 Member Posts: 275
    Options

I am getting my port put in next Monday, Nov. 21st and my first chemo Nov. 25th.  My doctor said she would give me the treatments on Fridays, then I would rest over the weekend and feel good enough to return to work on Monday or Tuesday.  But I saw where you said days 3-7 are the worst.  I am wondering now if I shuld change my appointments and maybe get them on Wednesdays or Thursdays. What do you think? I am a middle school teacher, so it does take quite a bit of energy to do my job.  Plus, I haven't told anyone at my work yet and was hoping not to have to.  Now, I am also wondering how to get beyond the hair thing.  I think I will look at wigs, but I just can't imagine myself wearing one. 

• GrandmaV
    GrandmaV Member Posts: 1,045
    Options

Congradulations to all who had their first treatment today.  You're one step closer to being done.

• GrandmaV
    Options

bahamamom3, thank you for joining us.  Your first treatment is the same day as my second tx.  What combination will you receive? 

• racerdeb
    racerdeb Member Posts: 114
    Options

Lory48,

It's good to see that you survived your first treatment also.  That's a bummer about your incision.

My Onc highly recommended the Claritin - just not the D variety.  So, I'm definitely gonna try it.

Like I said in my other post, I'm somewhat pooped too.  I had expected 2-3 hours of treatment, but it took a lot longer to get started with all of the pre-meds, getting all of my stuff put in their computer, etc.  From start to finish, it was over six hours total time.

Be sure to share your SEs, etc., with the rest of us.  I know linnyhopp is a day ahead of us, so she will be a good indicator of what to expect, I think.

• linnyhopp
    linnyhopp Member Posts: 466
    Options

Just to add...my appointment was 6 1/2 hours yesterday as well.  They did warn me about that, but even still it was a very long day.  My husband says he still has the chair imprint on his behind!  I am not scheduled for any injections, guess it will be on an as needed basis after my next blood work, but I too had read about the Claritin and was ready to take it if needed.  Gosh, I think all the OTC stuff I bought cost more than my co-pays...LOL!  I will be sure to post as time goes by.  Hoping there isn't too much bad stuff to share.  Here's to only positive stuff. 

Bahamamom3 ~ I work at an elementary school as an Office Manager.  I am taking this week off and we have Thanksgiving week off as well, wish you could do the same.  Everyone at work knows, so I don't have that to deal with, but my 87 year old MIL doesn't.  If you come up with ways to work out not letting certain people in on your life right now, please share.  Thanks.

• Lory48
    Lory48 Member Posts: 266
    Options

So far, the worst thing is the snb incision issues and the drainage..The glue left from all the take is making the pain even worse..you know the skin sticking together! uggg  I feel soooo full!! switching back to low carb and good lowfat protein. Laxatives, stool softners, heartburn.. and a little tired.. All in all not to bad!

• Allagashmaggie
    Allagashmaggie Member Posts: 66
    Options

Good Morning Fellow Warriors,

Monday, the 14th, was my second session and all went well.  My blood work was fine and vitals all looked good.  So far, I am feeling fine thought starting to get that tinny taste in my mouth again.  My weight was up, which concerns me, but she told me not to stress out over it.  I am still in my normal range, just at the high end.  She also told me to exercise as much as I can stand and go according to how I feel so I need to get out and walk more.  She did say the steriods may play a role in that. I, too, will be switching back to low carb and good lowfat protein.  I had been drinking quite a bit of those "boost" drinks as they are high in protein but are also very high in calories.  I think I will go back to my normal eating habits, just paying attention to getting good protein in my diet.  I also ask her about foods to eat that may not have estrogen.  My tumor was so highly estrogen receptive (95%) that I asked about that.  She told me to drink milk that has not been injected with growth hormones an to eat organic meat if I can.  I also read that is why women should limit their alcohol intake; it promotes estrogen in the system.  I have cut out my one vice of a glass of wine at night though I may have one on Thanksgiving Day. 

I still have some hair though got quite a bald spot on the back of my head but with a hat on and some hair sticking out here and there, one would not guess yet.  Still have eyebrows too. 

Next one is December 5th.  Best Wishes to all of you and keep up the fight.

• racerdeb
    Options

Allagashmaggie,

Thanks for sharing your progress.  Since you're one treatment ahead of several us, it really helps us to know what to possibly expect in a few weeks.  I've been trying to watch my diet too, eating more healthy foods.  I also have estrogen positive, but I never asked about the % (will do so on my next appointment).  Although I don't drink very much, I hadn't heard that alcohol promotes estrogen in the system.

I had chopped my hair off really short last week before x1, and I'm actually starting to enjoy it - really convenient.  I'm hoping it makes it through Thanksgiving day, and then I'll probably start breaking out the wig and hats.  I've done my best to get ready for the hair loss challenge.  I've also bought a good variety of hats and will be using the velcro bangs.

Good luck with your 12/5 x3 treatment!

• racerdeb
    Options

linnyhopp,

I'm with you on those OTC meds, especially after getting all of that other stuff too - the wig and the hats.  And then I have co-pays on the surgery, hospital, doctor visits, medications, etc.  I'm scared to see how much I've spent on everything so far.

Has anyone mentioned the Glutamine powder to you?  It's supposed to help with potential mouth sores.  My cousin is going through a recurrence of her breast cancer, and she highly recommended it to me.  My oncologist agrees.  It's supposed to be tasteless, but I'm not crazy about it.  I use it three times a day (three teaspoons).  It works best for me in hot tea that I somewhat just gulp down when it gets lukewarm.

She also recommended a daily B6 vitaman.  My Onc also agrees on this one.

I figured it wouldn't hurt to add a couple of more items to your OTC expenses!  LOL

• racerdeb
    Options

GrandmaV,

Since you're a bit ahead of us also, please continue to share your experiences with us.  I think it really helps when we have a better idea of what to expect.

• racerdeb
    Options

bahamamom3

Getting the port implant is a fairly easy process, with very little pain.  They gave me a mild sedative and used local anethesia.  After getting my first treatment yesterday, I was so thankful that I chose to use the port.  Everyone in the treatment center had one, and the nurses said it makes it all so much easier for the patients and the nurses.

I somewhat chose a reverse schedule of what you're doing.  I'm getting my treatments on Tuesdays so that the potential "worse" fatigue days are on the weekend when my husband can better help me.  When racing season comes around (starting in March), I may have to change my schedule to be at my best on weekends.  By then, I hope to have a better idea of what to expect.

Quite interestingly, I bought a synthetic wig on line that I really like.  My family is amazed at how nice it looks on me.  Like I said in another post, I've already chopped off my hair really short.  I didn't have the nerve to shave my head, but it's my way of getting ready for the hair loss.

Good luck on your port implant and first treatment.

• GrandmaV
    Options

Good morning ladies, I'm feeling great this morning.  I've haven't quite returned to normal eating habits, but I'm working toward that.  Some things still seem unappetizing.  Other than that, I have no complaints today.  I have my 3rd weekly herceptin Friday, but I doubt that will bring any SEs.  My 2nd Chemo tx is the day after thanksgiving, so I anticipate continuing to feel great until then.  I hope everyone has a wonderful day with no SEs.

attypatty, I hope all goes well with your 1st tx today.

Trinity, when you can, please let us know how you are.  You were having such a tough time last time we heard from you.

Kim137, Is your first tx tomorrow?

racerdeb, thank you for your updates. I hope you continue to have no SEs.

• Terry71
    Terry71 Member Posts: 108
    Options
    Me after my FIRST haircut
  • Terry71
    Options
    Me the day I got it shaved
  • Terry71
    Options
    Sporting my wig that I never wear LOL
  • Kathy9433
    Kathy9433 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Terry71....you look beautiful in all three pix!!!

Kathy :O)

• Terry71
    Options

Kathy- Thank you so Much xx 

• racerdeb
    Options

Are any of you x1 November 14 & 15 folks feeling any disorientation?  I fortunately don't have any other SEs right now, except for a bit of a dizzy feeling.  I've taken so many meds over the past few days that I'm not sure what may be causing me to feel disoriented.  I feel like I'm functioning on half a brain.

I may just be overtired - seemed to be waking up way too early every morning. And, of course, I end up having to pee several times a night due to all of the water and fluids I'm drinking.

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    Options

racerdeb, i felt a little disoriented and a bit dizzy after all six of my tx's.  i stumbled a little when i got out of the chemo chair to go to the bathroom, too.  every single time.  it goes away in a few days, but it definitely feels a little scary, i know.  keep drinking and resting.  i think it will go away!

terry, i think you look fabulous in every pic!  the wig looks so natural and even bald, you're adorable.   

• GrandmaV
    Options

racerdeb,  Only two things that I can think of, with all the fluids you may have depleted your electrolytes.  Try some Gatorade or other sports drink.  My other thought was that your blood pressure may be low.  Maybe some salty foods like soup.  When I'm feeling light headed, it's usually one of these two things.

• GrandmaV
    Options

Ya Ya,

How are you?  How does it feel to be all done?

• Tipnas
    Tipnas Member Posts: 82
    Options

Racerdeb, thank you for the tip about the Glutamine powder.  I had a very sore mouth on my first round of treatment.  I go for my second treatment tomorrow and plan to ask about it.  I also have the dizziness and light headedness.  It comes and goes and feels a bit strange. I mentioned it to my onc, but he didn't seem overly concerned.  I'm not sleeping too well either

• Tipnas
    Options

Terry, thenk you for posting the photos, you look beautiful.  I'm getting my wig on Saturday!

• racerdeb
    Options

GrandmaV,

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll definitely persue both recommendations.  This message board continues to be such a great resource for me.

Terry71,

I love all of the pictures!

• Tipnas
    Options

Hi Ladies, I posted this on the TCH thread and just wanted to give you a heads up.  I know there are several HER2+ ladies in our November group.  My friend in Pennsylvania is ER+/PR+ & HER2+.  She is in a study under the care of Dr Brian Czerniecki at University of Penn Hospital.  She is part of a study of HER2+ women being treated with immunotherapy vaccines prior to surgery to see the effects of the vaccine on the tumor.  They make the vaccine from her own WBCs.  Anyway, she and her doctor are being featured in a piece on the CBS Evening News with Scott Pelly this evening if anyone is interested.  It sound very promising!  take care

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    Options

tipnas, thank you for the heads up.  i'll definitely watch as i've heard about this study.

grandmaV, i'm doing ok and it feels absolutely wonderful to be done!  i can't even describe the feelings i had yesterday.  you'll be there before you know it and just think ... one already down!  i'm so happy that you're feeling better and it's so wonderful that you don't have another tx until after thanksgiving.  you should just keep feeling better and better until then.

racerdeb, i agree with what grandmaV said, too.  my onco told me that my blood pressure could be low and that's why i was dizzy.  i take it at home, though, and it never got really low, so i don't know.  good luck! 

• racerdeb
    Options

I checked my blood pressure at home, and it seems to be normal.  However, my pulse is quite a bit higher (92) than normal (usually about 65-70).  I think I'll get some sport drinks as grandmaV suggested to see if that helps.  Again, it may just be a lack of sleep. 

• GrandmaV
    Options

racerdeb, Are you still on steroids?  They can make your heart beat faster.  If it keeps this up, it wouldn't hurt to call and ask your onc about it.

• linnyhopp
    linnyhopp Member Posts: 466
    Options

Hi to All ~ So glad to hear that the "first timers" did so well yesterday. I am hanging in there. Took a xanax last night so actually slept pretty well...except for a few potty trips from all the fluids. I do have a sore throat today and am hoping that isn't the start of something unpleasant.  I will keep drinking and hoping that relieves the feeling.  Any tips from anyone would be appreciated.

Racerdeb ~ I bought the Glutamine capsules (saw a pic of the bottle on these boards somewhere).  I hope they work as well as the powder?  I am going to take one right after I finish reading here.  I will have to send my long-suffering husband for the B-6 as I forgot to pick that up.  Thanks for the reminder.

Yaya ~ You must be over the moon to be finished with the chemo part.  I know we all are glad for you and can't wait to be where you are now.

Tipnas ~ Thanks for the heads-up on the news piece...will definitely be watching that!

Hope all of you are having a great day with little SEs and know I am thinking of all of you...will check in later.  

• Terry71
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments on my pics.... Just wanted to put a Face to the Name Smile I bought the wig and wore it home, that was it, She hangs on the stand and hasnt been touched in 2 months or so