Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Why Im Not Doing Chemo

Options

Comments

• suzieq60
    suzieq60 Member Posts: 1,422
    edited November 2011
    Options

Steve Jobs made th mistake of trying alternative before he had the surgery - delayed by 9 months - this was probably what lead to his demise.

Eve - you are looking at a 50% reduction in risk of recurrence if you have chemo/herceptin.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2011
    Options

I thought that Steve Jobs lived 8 years after being DX? Am I wrong? I read that the average life expectancy for someone with a metastatic neuroendocrine tumor is only around two years.

ETA : See "Did Alternative Medicine Kill Steve Jobs?"  Did Alternative Medicine Kill Steve Jobs? - Yahoo! News GOOGLE the title.

And which protocol did he follow? Does anyone know?

Maybe you're right Susie. Maybe the surgery could have extended his life. We'll never know. But some alternative medicine doctors do not believe in doing biopsies or surgeries. That surprised me.   Dr. Burton Goldberg Cancer Interview - Biopsy cause more cancer!www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOQehHTaFwE

He was one the doctors that Suzanne Somers interviewed. Apparently, he cured his own cancers.

• mari55
    mari55 Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2011
    Options

Just wanted to add that not all chemo's are alike.  There are those ( especially the oldr ones)  that kill all fast growing cells and therefore have a greater number of side effects because they are not targeting just cancer cells ( hence anemia, low white cells, hair loss).  Herceptin is a monoclonal antibody that targets Her2 directly.  Many of the new drugs are becoming more specific to thier target.  That does not mean they are without side effects.  With that said, gather as much information as you can so you make the most informed decision.  For each of us it is a personal one.

Mari 

• suzieq60
    suzieq60 Member Posts: 1,422
    edited November 2011
    Options

Princess - from what I read, Jobs had the most treatable type of pancreatic cancer - surgery the best option to treat it. Leaving it too long, of course allowed the cancer to become more advanced and then no longer treatable.

For me, chemo and herceptin was doable - not nice - but it didn't incapacitate me that much.

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited November 2011
    Options

Hello everyone:  I just heard from my doctor.  I have IDC low grade 1, stage 1.  That is all he knows right now...they haven't finished the testing to see about HR positive or neg.  He said the spot was very small (5mm) and he could do a lumpectomy, then of course, he mentioned radiation as a treatment option.  He's talking to me like I'm hearing all this information for the first time.  He doesn't know that I'm miles down the road in my research.  He gave me the ACS web site as well as suggested Susan Love's Cancer book...all conventional cancer info.  I didn't even get into alternative treatements with him...will wait until our meeting which will be sometime next week.

Of course I was hoping for nothing, or at the very most DCIS, so this is very disappointing, but it is what it is and I will have to deal with it.  My boyfriend is in shock, because he refused to believe it was anything, so now he is firing questions at me right and left and I'm trying to answer as best I can.  Fortunately I am going to my private physician on Thursday who prescribed my bioidentical hormones last year, so I will ask his opinion about this.  We also have the holistic doctor that my boyfriend is seeing for his MS who can advise me as well.

We'll just take things a day at a time. 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2011
    Options

I'm really sorry about your DX, Kaara.  It's absolutely normal to be worried and scared when you learn you have cancer. So it's really important to breathe, take your time and research.  You're so proactive, strong and wise. I am confident you'll find treatments that are right for you.  Remember to have faith and to listen to your inner spirit.  It will always lead you in the right direction.

Psalm 32:8
    I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.

Hugs and prayers,

Sharon

• Kaara
    edited November 2011
    Options

Sharon:  Thank you for the kind words.

• flash
    flash Member Posts: 129
    edited November 2011
    Options

Everyone must make the decision that is right for themselves.  I know my mom chose the alternative, I chose the conventional. we're both still here so whose to say what is right.

good luck 

• Luna5
    Luna5 Member Posts: 532
    edited November 2011
    Options

Kaara .. I assume you are familiar with the OncotypeDX test to determine the aggressiveness of your cancer.  Just read an article re lump followed by radiation in Dec 2011 Life Extension Magazine.  There is discussion of radiation effects I've never seen anywhere on these threads or anywhere else before --- that the radiated breast gradually flattens out.  I didn't do radiation so not that familiar with the long term effects but I have read a lot of posts about it and this was a new take on it.  Anyway the discussion of lumpectomy and radiation is part of an interview with Suzanne Somers about her recent Stem Cell Breast Rejuvenation.

• Hindsfeet
    Hindsfeet Member Posts: 675
    edited November 2011
    Options

Kaara, so sorry about your dx. You've done your homework so you know what's next. I can't believe it took this long to hear back about your tests. It usually took me a few days after the biopsy or a surgery. You are patient.

You might consider a second opinion. My third dx was stage 1, grade 1. It was pure mucinious which is said to be slow growing more favorable cancer. But...how can they call any cancer favorable? They did. Yet those dx with it are treated the same way as any idc cancer patient.

I'm sure you will get more information soon on your cancer.

• Kaara
    edited November 2011
    Options

Luna5....Yes, I'm a long time member of Life Extension.  Their home office is right here in Ft. Lauderdale!  I will definitely be on their site doing research.  The oncotype test is on my list to ask the doctor to do.  I am going to insist on it.  My second opinion is going to be with our holistic physician who treats my boyfriend currently for his MS.  He also treats cancer patients integratively with their disease.

evebarry:  Thank you...I have found this thread to be a valuable resource for me in making my decisions regarding treatment.   Let's keep it going! 

• thats-life-
    thats-life- Member Posts: 169
    edited November 2011
    Options
    kaara....!..hang in there...Im glad you have been researching and getting to know people here too...Remember you do have time to make a decision. Make sure you look at both sides of the treatment fence, or sit right on top of it Smile....lots of people are here for you..thanks for your input on my thread, and elsewhere, I didnt know you were waiting for a dx that whole time...wow...stage 1 has positive outcome %....yes, just breath for now, then act...xxx
  • Kaara
    edited November 2011
    Options

that's-life:  Thank you for your encouragement and support!  I feel confident that this was caught early and is treatable with hopefully no recurrance.  I have an app't with my bs on Monday to discuss final results of pathology report, surgery, and treatment options.  I'm also meeting with my private physician tomorrow to go over my results with him.  I also have a holistic dr. that my boyfriend goes to for his MS.  I have met him and have a lot of confidence in his abilities.

• ma111
    ma111 Member Posts: 167
    edited November 2011
    Options

Kaara,

I am happy for you!

• Rosieo
    Rosieo Member Posts: 200
    edited November 2011
    Options

Hi

New to posting here but often read because I too am dealing with breast cancer.  Just want to put in a message regarding the Herceptin.  My cousin also has breast cancer (same time as I) and she did not want to do chemo but they really pressed her into telling her that she would not get sick etc.  Well by the second treatment she was down and out and she refused to take anymore, so they convinced her to just take the Herceptin.  She is doing that and has no side effects and they told her that it would be to her benefit. 

• thats-life-
    edited November 2011
    Options

I added a link to the post 'herceptin heart attack' on some trial results for herceptin and chemo..there was mention that sometimes its the chemo that complicates things. It also mentions the 45+% survival benefit that suzieq mentioned..I will add it here, but dont want to put anyone off the treatment..I suppose its important to be aware of potential side effects though.

http://www.adjuvantonline.com/breasthelp0306/Trastuzumab.html

• thats-life-
    edited November 2011
    Options

This is a link titled 'what should breast cancer patients and survivors eat during Herceptin treatment:

http://foodforbreastcancer.com/articles/what-should-breast-cancer-patients-and-survivors-eat-during-herceptin-treatment%3F

seems like good information evie...There was a mention of using an antioxidant vitamin supplement while on herceptin may not be a good idea, anyway, read it if you are interested, and maybe google for more info. I dont think they are selling something!

• Hindsfeet
    edited November 2011
    Options

thatslife...read both links. The first one was a little over my head ;) The second link very interesting. I love gratefruit. The pharmatist  warned me not to eat gratefruit while taking other meds...that's it prohibits. I will look carefully again at that list if and when I take herceptin.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2011
    Options

Kaara, I am truly sorry.  We all understand your state of shock but it will come to pass and you will begin to "accept". The best tip I can offer you is to take it one day at the time, that's what I keep repeating to myself.  I am sure you will find the understanding and support from your BC sisters that you need.

ThatsLife, I am really sorry about your present concerns.  Today, I was making copies from the drug compendium - the pharmacist loaned me - of the meds I have to take.  An old old, I mean old man came by to take his blood pressure from those machines, you know.  I was having a bad time fighting with the dang photocopier Lollll  At one point, he said : I hope you don't have to take all those meds.  He made me smile. So, we got to talking and, in a nutshell, what he was saying to me is that life is full of mysteries. In the end, he looked me in the eye as he walked away and said: "Try not to think too much".  As I pondered this good-bye "gift" , I thought : "think"....it's so full of meaning, I will add these few words to my list of mantras, as I feel I was touched by an angel.  Anxiety, stress can do so much damage to our well being and health.

Here is a little bit of hope, there is so much out there to be found Wink

"Suppression of Proliferation and Invasive Behavior of Human Metastatic Breast Cancer Cells by Dietary Supplement BreastDefend

Conclusion: BD inhibits proliferation and invasive behavior of the highly metastatic human breast cancer cells in vitro. BD may have a therapeutic potential for prevention or treatment of highly metastatic breast cancers"

http://ict.sagepub.com/content/10/2/192.abstract

Some info on the macrobiotic diet I posted about previously:

"A carefully planned macrobiotic diet, as part of a healthy lifestyle, may be effective in preventing obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and cancer. It may also be therapeutic in people already ill with these conditions. Further research is certainly needed. Funding agencies should, as a priority, strongly consider encouraging research on this dietary approach in cardiovascular disease, cancer, and diabetes mellitus."

http://ncp.sagepub.com/content/25/6/621.full.pdf+html

• Hindsfeet
    edited November 2011
    Options

This is a interesting article I read. I'm sure the chemo now usued is better than mustard gas. Before reading this I pretty much had this visual. And, I fear if I took it it could cause another cancer.

Chemotherapy: Does It Really Cause Cancer? 
    Posted: Friday, July 14, 2006

by Dr Laurence Magne
    http://www.cancer-free-for-life.com/

From the office of Dr. Laurence Magne,author of www.cancer-free-for-life.com

It may surprise most people to find out that one of the most common treatments for a variety of cancers is chemotherapy and that it actually has its origins in World Wars I and II. Given that most people consider the treatment of cancer to be a war, then it shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

The fantastic science of chemotherapy began because it was noticed that Mustard Gas caused the destruction of fast growing cells. In the average human body, the fastest growing cells are hair follicles, stomach lining, immune system, bone marrow and hair follicles. This serves to explain why Mustard Gas was an effective agent of warfare damage to such major systems of the body would cause obvious illness and death.

After World War II, a number of other chemotherapy agents were developed, all of which operate in basically the same way: attacking and killing growing cells.

As an analogy, suppose you were to tell an exterminator that you have a termite infestation in your home. The exterminator, a profession whom you are entrusting, tells you that the best course of action will be to use a chemical which is known to eat away at both the wood and the foundation of homes, as well as causing irreparable damage to furniture and windows.

But, after all, you really do want to get rid of those termites, right?Basically, the use of chemotherapy is the same type of treatment. Another way to look at it would be using a sledgehammer to open a peanut.

Chemotherapy is, admittedly, effective at reducing tumors because it's a highly effective and toxic poison. It's designed to kill cells and it does its job very well. It's also very effective at hampering the immune system, damaging the gastrointestinal system and, effectively, causing a great deal of damage to the human body.

Chemotherapy treatments are effective at many things, especially at diminishing the quality of life for cancer patients.

Chemotherapy treatments also happen to be carcinogenic. Yes, carcinogenic. Remember, a carcinogen is something that has been shown to increase the chances of developing cancer.

Returning the termite analogy, we can add that the chemical will saturate your home with a substance that is known to potentially attract termites again in the future. Who in the world would let this person exterminate their home using these chemicals?

This is one of the many reasons that it is so vitally important to pursue all of the available options to dealing with cancer. Far too many doctors only consider the standard treatments, such as chemotherapy, despite the well established health risks to the patient.

• Unknown
    edited November 2011
    Options

My, that certainly is a negative chemo article.  The coumadin I take daily is used to kill rats.  It all has to do with dosages and you have to weigh pros and cons with any drugs.  I guess I am just very fortunate that out of all the chemo treatments I have done, only one had really bad SEs....most of them only caused constipation.   I had a friend who did the mustard....not gas, but as one of her chemo treamtments for her lupus which has now been in remission for almost 20 yrs....she said it was a rough one.

I am currently not doing any treatments until the different oncos I see can come up with a plan that they agree on and one I am willing to do.  As of now I don't plan on doing anything until after the holidays because this is the year of the party for me....am doing one at my Dad's the weekend after Thanksgiving....a  holiday open house.   Then I want to do several here at my home....a neighborhood party, another for my friends & coworkers here and I also would like to do something with the local BCO gals I met with before for lunch.  Once I get the place clean, it is best that I just keep on entertaining.  Leaving up the  Xmas tree was the smartest thing I have ever done....all I have to do is gently dust it off......there was method to my madness after all.   

• Kaara
    edited November 2011
    Options

We watched a very interesting movie last night  "Food Matters".  It's all about nutrition and supplements and the role they play in keeping the body healthy and free of disease.

80% raw foods, proper supplementation, juicing, vitamin infusions and so on.  All of these were recommended as protocol for allowing the body to heal from any disease.

I know it works because our friend put her Mysthenia Gravis in remission by following these very principles.

Marybe:  I hope you have a wonderful holiday season.  You deserve that much needed break from chemo.  Enjoy it to the fullest! 

• Hindsfeet
    edited November 2011
    Options

For those interested, I got a call a few minutes ago that my mastectomy is December 27th. I' wish it was a little earlier, but understand that December is a hard month to schedule surgeries due to vacations and etc. Well, I'll enjoy the holidays without pain...except for New Years :) It's early enough where I can have friends over New Years any how. The best part of it, I don't think I'll miss any days of work.

I have an oncologist appointment Friday. I know the whole chemo topic will come up. I' think I'm pretty armed with information to give reasons for not wanting chemo. I looked up the person I'm seeing. She's a leading speaker and in the forefront of trials and the latest information on chemo and cancer treatment. I'm sure I will be a challenge for her :)

• thats-life-
    edited November 2011
    Options

Thats good news eve...at least your onc is up there with the latest information, you can pick her brain on recent research. You know, since my onc and i discussed my thoughts on zometa, and the recent trial results came out questioning zometa in pre menopausal women, he has not mentioned my starting a bisphosphonate again!..prior to that they were on my case for a year.

Im glad you can enjoy Christmas before your surgery :)

• Kaara
    edited November 2011
    Options

eve...all the best to you...sending you prayers and positive energy for your upcoming surgery.  I'm having mine on Dec 12, and just looking forward to getting this thing out of me and moving on with my life and new way of living.  I guess once you've been dx with bc, your life changes forever, but I'm trying to keep it positive and do good things that will help me going forward.

I sent an e mail to all of my friends because I just didn't want to expend the energy required to call each of them.  I am getting back some awesome replies and prayers, so I think it is good to be open about our disease.

My challenge this week was getting the darned pre op app't with my PCP, and they didn't want to fit me in.  I had to throw a big hissy fit and pull out the "C" card to get what I wanted, which is so sad.  You would think that someone with bc would have priority over someone going in for a routine check up, but apparently not.

eve, keep us posted on what our onc says about the chemo.  I'm not at that point yet, but I want to be armed in case I have to face it.  Right now I'm still on the fence about radiation treatments.  Even though I gave my BS studies that show women over 70 don't benefit, he says not so fast.  I meet with the entire medical team tomorrow, so I will ask the onc. 

• AlaskaAngel
    AlaskaAngel Member Posts: 694
    edited November 2011
    Options

Evebarry and Kaara,

Consider at least suggesting that your tumor board review include a written consultation by the members with an endocrinologist in your behalf. I doubt it will happen in reality, but awareness is the first step toward better care.

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/121/topic/778170?page=7#idx_207

A.A.

• thats-life-
    edited November 2011
    Options

Alaska: i just read your post on the 'chemo' thread, and here...and i wanted to say that is a great idea!..and a great point. You know, when i was first diagnosed, and they thought i was early stage (prior to the scans) The breast surgeon said to me "I can refer you to an oncologist, but you know that if i do, you will be offered chemotherapy"...i didnt understand why he worded it like that, until recently. I now realise it is a choice to see an oncologist, who has a speciality in oncology....having a treatment team that included an endocrinologist is a brilliant idea.

• Kaara
    edited November 2011
    Options

AlaskaAngel:  You question is timely, because I am meeting with my medical team tomorrow and I will certainly ask that question.  Will be interesting to see the response.

Thanks for your input. 

• ma111
    ma111 Member Posts: 167
    edited November 2011
    Options

eveberry,

It sounds like you are at peace with you decision, that is so important.

You know, seeing the oncologist is a choice. I read that having a palliative care doc early in the program is good because oncs overlook se's  and they strive to make us feel better. So, when I skip one or two treatments I still have to face the onc, however, when I decide no more chemo at all ever, I am prepared. I do like my palliative care doc a lot.

• Hindsfeet
    edited December 2011
    Options

Actually, I am seeing the oncologist to talk about taking herceptin without chemo. The oncologist I am seeing is pretty up with what's new in trials and cancer studies. I am working on information, stats and etc so if you have any for me or Kaara, we both appreciate it. My breast surgeon suggested I have a scan, which I want. I've have been dx with cancer four times in four years so it's important to me to know what exactly is going on in my body.  I've had a systemic yeast infection the last year and a half. I lost 25 pounds a little over a year ago without trying. I know that my immune system is exahusted. I'm constantly battling mouth sores. If there is something going on I want to know about it so I can know exactly what I'm dealing with. If not...then I will have peace of mind that there is nothing majorly wrong with me.This is why I want to see an oncologist.

I won't ask the question what would you do if you were in my shoes.  I won't do anything that suppresses the immune system. I already asked when they called me for an appointment if they were alternative medicine friendly. The person I spoke to, said yes. So...I'm hoping she will hear me out and work with what I feel comfortable with. If not, I have no problem going else where or not seeing an oncologist at all.  

For those who question why I won't follow "standard treatment"...because I know that if I further compromise my immune system, I'm not one of the ones that will make it through treatments. There's a lot I don't want to get into here...just believe me.