Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Differences in SEs with Tamox from different manufacturers

Options

Comments

• smo23915
    smo23915 Member Posts: 71
    edited May 2013
    Options

Mylan seems to be the best, for many of us.  My neighbor is a pharmacist and he said they are temporary out of stock, but will continue it.  I sure hope so.  He did tell me it does help if people call or email that they would like the medication brought back.  I am Celiac and that is the only generic without gluten.  So, I told them that in my long note.  They told me to check back in a month.  So, it does not hurt to call or email them.

Sharon

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177
    edited May 2013
    Options

Smo23915-I like many others here have called I personally was told it's been discontinued, no date on when or if it will go back into production. I tried the Watson brand and the side effects were horrible. I'm hoping Mylan changes their decision.

• maxineo
    maxineo Member Posts: 199
    edited May 2013
    Options

I just called Mylan this morning and was told that their production of tamoxifen has been discontinued but that it is a 'temporary discontinuation' and that they would be monitoring whether they might re-start production.  She DID say that she has received numerous calls urging them to continue producing and that was "good ammo" for arguing to get it back into production. She did take down my name and phone number.

So, CALL!  Their website has a form for you to send an electronic comment (which I did) as well as a phone number (which I also did). 

• chelev
    chelev Member Posts: 417
    edited May 2013
    Options

I am taking a monthlong tamox break because after being on it since 2010, I have been dealing with terrible cumulative se's, including low back/hip pain, knee pain, wrist and elbow pain, shoulder/neck pain radiating into the jaw that causes a terrible headache that just does not go away.  I've also been dealing with constant constipation, despite softeners, increasing magnesium, fiber and all that jazz, insomnia and ringing in my ears.  After reading about many of you having fuzzy vision, I guess that is also an se I did not know about!  I thought my eyes were just getting worse and I have been increasing the prescription on my readers to no avail!  Just 2 weeks off and I have NO bone or joint pain, no headache, I can see more clearly, and I am NOT constipated!  My med onc wants me to restart in June, but I am going to check the brand I have first and see if it is Watson and see if I can try another brand.  If I begin having more se's after restarting it, I just may stop it altogether - and I have tried every other AI and have had terrible se's with it.  Sheesh!  

• smo23915
    edited May 2013
    Options

I agree with Maxine about calling Mylan.  My pharmacist friend told me that would be the best thing to do.  Here is the number and link for everyone.

http://www.mylan.com/contact_us.aspx

I also checked the Barr brand is now the same as Teva.  Teva bought out the company.

Sharon

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,795
    edited May 2013
    Options

I have a lot of the same side effects on Teva as mentioned above. Had virtually none before.

I called them also awhile back and was told it was discontinued. No sign of starting again.

• AnnBR
    AnnBR Member Posts: 345
    edited May 2013
    Options

My brand is Watson and I've had few SE's.The first week was rough, but my body adjusted quickly. So far, so good!

• PoohBear-61
    PoohBear-61 Member Posts: 74
    edited June 2013
    Options

FYI

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/is-titanium-dioxide-in-food-harmful.html

Titanium dioxide in Teva brand tamoxifen .

Apo brand does not have Titanium dioxide .

• PoohBear-61
    edited June 2013
    Options

Hi there..here are the ingrediants

follow-up to the above comment re titanium dioxide ..... 

Teva-Tamoxifen

20 mg Each white to off-white, round, biconvex, film-coated tablet engraved on one side, "N" over scoreline, "20" under it, and plain on the other side, contains tamoxifen citrate equivalent to tamoxifen 20 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: colloidal silicon dioxide, diacetylated monoglycerides, ethylcellulose, hydroxypropyl cellulose, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, magnesium stearate, mannitol, povidone, sodium starch glycolate, and titanium dioxide. Gluten- and tartrazine-free.

APO TAMOX

Each white, octagonal, biconvex, compressed tablet, engraved "APO" over "T20" on one side, contains tamoxifen 20 mg (as tamoxifen citrate 30.4 mg). Nonmedicinal ingredients: croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate, mannitol, and maize starch.   

• smo23915
    edited June 2013
    Options

Can you get APO Tamoxifen in the United States?  

Sharon

• PoohBear-61
    edited June 2013
    Options

smo23915 ......

Not sure but there are a variety of other brands to chose from ....you  just need to google the ingrediants list and make

sure that there is no titanium dioxide .  Here are a few ingrediant for a few others .

Teva-Tamoxifen

10 mg   Each white to off-white, round, biconvex, film-coated tablet engraved "N" over "10" on same side, and plain on the other side, contains tamoxifen citrate equivalent to tamoxifen 10 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: colloidal silicon dioxide, diacetylated monoglycerides, ethylcellulose, hydroxypropyl cellulose, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, magnesium stearate, mannitol, povidone, sodium starch glycolate, and titanium dioxide.

20 mg   Each white to off-white, round, biconvex, film-coated tablet engraved on one side, "N" over scoreline, "20" under it, and plain on the other side, contains tamoxifen citrate equivalent to tamoxifen 20 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: colloidal silicon dioxide, diacetylated monoglycerides, ethylcellulose, hydroxypropyl cellulose, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, magnesium stearate, mannitol, povidone, sodium starch glycolate, and titanium dioxide. Gluten- and tartrazine-free.

APO TAMOX

10 mg   Each white, round, biconvex tablet, engraved "APO" over "T10" on one side, contains tamoxifen 10 mg (as tamoxifen citrate 15.2 mg). Nonmedicinal ingredients: croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate, mannitol, and maize starch. 20 mg   Each white, octagonal, biconvex, compressed tablet, engraved "APO" over "T20" on one side, contains tamoxifen 20 mg (as tamoxifen citrate 30.4 mg). Nonmedicinal ingredients: croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate, mannitol, and maize starch.  

MYLAN

10 mg   Each white, round, biconvex tablet, marked with "TN 10" on one side and "G" logo on the other, contains tamoxifen citrate 15.2 mg (equivalent to tamoxifen 10 mg). Nonmedicinal ingredients: croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate, mannitol, and white maize starch.

20 mg   Each white, octagonal-shaped biconvex tablet, marked with "TN" over "20" on one side and "G" logo on the other, contains tamoxifen citrate 30.4 mg (equivalent to tamoxifen 20 mg). Nonmedicinal ingredients: croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate, mannitol, and white maize starch.

WATSON BRAND

10 mg Tablets: Each tablet contains 15.2 mg of tamoxifen citrate which is equivalent to 10 mg of tamoxifen.

20 mg Tablets: Each tablet contains 30.4 mg of tamoxifen citrate which is equivalent to 20 mg of tamoxifen. Each tablet contains the following inactive ingredients: croscarmellose sodium, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, and pregelatinized starch.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • trail2
    trail2 Member Posts: 33
    edited July 2013
    Options

I have read through this looking for information.  I have been on Tamoxifen for 2 years.  I was having the usual side effects expected, but then started having many other more severe problems with joint and bone pain, fatigue, depression, and digestive issues.  I was really struggling, and by accident discovered that the brand of Tamoxifen I was taking had been switched two different times in the past 3 months.  After being back on Mylan brand, within 2 weeks, I started feeling human again.  Yes I still have hot flashes, but that is the only thing that I notice on a regular basis.    I have read that Mylan has temporarily discontinued making Tamoxifen, so I am going to include the line to their company where you can leave a message.  For those of you who are doing well on Mylan, please call or contact them to let them know we need them to continue making it.  For those of you on other brands that are working, that is great.  We are all different, and our bodies respond differently.  Find one that works and stick with it,  if your brand is not working, consider switching to another brand before quitting.  Huggs to all of my sisters ! 

MYLAN  724-514-1800

www.mylan.com/contact.us.aspx

• mstrouble16
    edited September 2013
    Options

Well just thought I would update.....I just got my refill for my Mylan Tamoxifen and was told this is last one they will be able to get for me in any strength. My prescription is for 20mg they could get that and for the last couple of months they filled it with 10mg that I was taking 2 of. They told me they would get me the Teva brand next month.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,795
    edited September 2013
    Options

I was having problems similar to trail 2 with the Teva brand, when I suddenly noticed I was feeling a lot better without the side effects other than hot flashes. I noticed they had changed the brand again to Watkins. I am hoping they stick with it.

• Ivano02
    Ivano02 Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2013
    Options

Where can you get APO Tamoxifen

• AnnMarie246
    AnnMarie246 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2013
    Options

Wow 5 years!!!

Great to hear and thank you for posting.

I am on day 40 of tamoxifen (Teva)

And have lots of SE.

My biggest complaint is bone pain.

Thank God my bone scan was clear.

Will see my MO in 6wks and might switch brands?

• proudmom_wife
    proudmom_wife Member Posts: 176
    edited September 2013
    Options

Since Mylan is not longer available I switched to Watson about four months ago.  The worse side effect for me with Watson has been joint pain, though not as bad as when I used Teva.  My oncologist suggested adding Glucosamine and Curcumin as daily supplements.  I can honestly say that this combination has worked for me because after taking them for almost a month the joint pain was gone.  I then decided to try an experiment and stop taking them.  Joint pain returned within a week.  Started taking them both again, and the joint pain started to diminsh within a few days and is no longer an issue for me.  I know we are all different and respond differently but wanted to share this in case it might help others.  But please check with your doctor first.

One side note.  I used to drink Tumeric tea a couple of times a week, but I guess it was enough or consistent enough to make enough of a difference with the joint pain.  But be cautious with Tumeric/Curcumin because you will bleed more.  It is definitely noticeable when I get blood tests now.

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818
    edited September 2013
    Options

Proudmom...How much tumeric are you taking??

• AmyfromMI
    AmyfromMI Member Posts: 115
    edited September 2013
    Options

Proud Mom,

I switched to Watson as well when Mylan was discontinued. I had NO major SEs with Mylan other than a few hot flashes now and again. Now, I have joint pain, horrid leg cramps, increased night sweats/hot flashes, and terrible pelvic cramping lasting about one week during my cycle (never had cramping like this in my entire life). I've been taking magnesium for the leg cramps which has helped a bit and just started having gin and tonics in the evening (MINUS the gin). The tonic water seems to work. Just hate the taste and wish I could add the gin to it! lol! I'm also taking a DIM supplement (just started bio response this week) and am hoping that helps with the hot flashes and night sweats. The joint pain is another issue. I'm not taking anything for that and nothing was recommended by my MO. How much glucosamine and tumeric do you take???

Does anyone have any thoughts on the pelvic cramps? Ibuprofen, Tylenol, and aleve do not touch the pain. Again, no suggestions from my MO on meds or supplements. :( Thank you!

Amy

• proudmom_wife
    edited September 2013
    Options

It took a few weeks for the joint pain to go away, but this is what I found worked for me.  

On a daily basis I am taking Glucosamine 1500mg and Curcumin 500mg

I also take other supplements (B6/B12, CoQ10, Calcium, Magnesium and a Multivitamin) which were approved by my oncologist.  Don't know if the addition of the Glucosamine and Curcumin in combination with what I was already taking did the trick or if it was just those two which did it.

AmyinMI - I also had increased hot flashes, leg cramps and of course the joint pain when I switched.  It took about three months for my body to adjust to the point where I feel 'normal' again.  But if I don't take supplements on a daily basis (specifically the Glucosamine and Curcumin), the joint pain returns.  I had minor pelvic pain, but I just took some Ibuprofin for a few days and then I was OK, sorry wish I had more to offer on that front.  

If your oncologist won't make suggestions for supplements or meds could you check with your regular primary physician or OBGYN?  

• proudmom_wife
    edited September 2013
    Options

Oh I forgot about Neurexan by Heel (homeopathic).  I took this to ween myself off of Ativan to help me sleep.  Turns out it also helps with leg craps (contains magnesium).  When I showed it to my oncologist she said another one of her patients uses at night specifically for leg cramps.  It is hard to find in health food stores, so I ordered it online.

• AmyfromMI
    edited September 2013
    Options

Thank you, Proud Mom. 😊 I will definitely do a little research into the neurexan, too. Anything to stop these SEs! I just pray Mylan starts up its manufacturing again before I'm finished with tami. I only have about 4 1/2 more years to go.

• AnnMarie246
    AnnMarie246 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2013
    Options

Does anyone know why MYLAN brand got discontinued?

It sounded so amazing vs. TEVA brand.

• AmyfromMI
    edited October 2013
    Options

No clue. It WAS amazing compared to the Watson I'm taking now. It makes having breast cancer a bit more sucky with all these SEs that I didn't have with Mylan.

• LuvSnow
    LuvSnow Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2014
    Options

I have been on Watson 20mg since March. No hot flashes, no joint pain (well, no more than usual), no muscle cramps...the only thing I have noticed is I am tired and my brain is foggy...but, that can also be attributed to two major (BMX and laparotomy) surgeries this year, plus 10 hour work day and kids :) I was taking it first thing in the morning, but recently switched to evenings to see if it helped with being tired.

How do we really know it is working? Or do we just hope for the best based on past studies?

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited October 2013
    Options

Morning gals..... I don't know if there is any sure way of "knowing" if any drug like Tamoxifen is working.

I posted on this thread, way back on page one.... But I've learned a lot since I quit taking Tamoxifen.... There IS a test, to see if certain women with a certain type of gene, are more susceptible to the type of small-stroke I had in my brain-stem, affecting my hearing.

Taking ANY drug can cause problems.... And yes, there ARE warnings on the labels, about a LOT of these, but the common ones you are all talking about can usually be worked through.

It's the "cataracts" and strokes, and SE's that we MAY get... and that depends on OUR own makeup.... like our genes....

I noticed when I was taking it, that I would have those SE's for a few months, and then they would get better, and I would get NEW ones! The leg-cramps drove me nuts!

But I wish you all the best.... I'm almost 4 years out now, so whatever I did, has kept me NED so far!

• coraleliz
    coraleliz Member Posts: 158
    edited October 2013
    Options

Just a guess. I think Mylan quit making Tamoxifen because Teva has contracts with major drug store chains, possible bumping Mylan out.

I get my tamoxifen RX at CVS & was told that they have a contract Teva & that is why they use Teva brand. It was very difficult for me to get them to order the Mylan brand for me. I had to ask 3 times, got someone at CVS to agree to order the Mylan brand, but then when I went to pick it up..........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr................they gave me Teva brand. I finally got the Mylan brand & it turned out to be a couple of $s less than the Teva(not a big deal on a 3 month Rx). Unfortunately I didn't experience a reduction of SEs. Lots of wasted energy on my part.

• option
    option Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    Options

I got Tamoxifen from Actavis Pharma when I ordered at a pharmacy. Anyone had this brand before?

• mstrouble16
    edited November 2013
    Options

well I can no longer get my Mylan brand of tamoxifen from anybody. And now it seems Teva is going to be difficult to get. Called CVS, Walmart and Walgreens they all use Watson, and considering how bad those side effects were I don't even want those so now begins the fun again of of ordering through Express Scripts, at least they (supposedly) have the Teva brand.

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818
    edited November 2013
    Options

Do you have Rite-Aid there, I get Teva brand from them.