Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Differences in SEs with Tamox from different manufacturers

Options
12346»

Comments

• oceangirl654
    oceangirl654 Member Posts: 59
    edited April 2015
    Options

The cancer fear is horrible isn't it, Caligirl? I woke up with it this morning. The new doctor is going to do the CYP test so that's good. Best wishes!

• oceangirl654
    edited April 2015
    Options

I just had an interesting idea for people who want to try a brand without lactose in America. There appears to be a liquid version of tamoxifen. It is called Soltamox. I wonder if you can get it here. It does not have lactose in it. It has ethanol, glycerol, propylene glycol, sorbitol, and flavor. Maybe if I try it I can see whether it's the filler ingredients that are making me feel sick. Does anyone know anything about it? I am going to ask the pharmacist tomorrow.

• oceangirl654
    edited April 2015
    Options

How cool is this? :) Soltamox® (tamoxifen citrate) is the only oral liquid formulation of tamoxifen available in the US. Soltamox is indicated for adjuvant treatment of breast cancer, metastatic breast cancer, ductal carcinoma in situ and to reduce breast cancer incidence in high risk women. Soltamox is an important option for breast cancer patients who may require a liquid formulation. Patients may benefit from Soltamox if they find it easier to utilize liquid medications or if they have difficulty swallowing tablets. For patients with intolerance to gluten or lactose, Soltamox is gluten and lactose free.

• katcar0001
    katcar0001 Member Posts: 320
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi Oceangirl - I cannot remember exactly, but it seems to me the dry mouth just got better after a month or so, but maybe it was when I switched to Teva. I'll have to go back and look through my notes. I am just starting Nolvadex, but yes, it's the brand name made by Astra-Zeneca. I don't know if they made any changes to it for the Mexican market--I am hoping it's the same formula. My back pain is in my sacroiliac joint too! It hurts so much at night but I can tolerate it when I am moving around during the day. Drinking milk or even eating yogurt makes it worse! I am hoping that cutting out all dairy will make a difference. My back also seems to be a weather barometer? I can always tell when a storm front is moving in. I hope you can get the liquid Tamoxifen or hop over the border to get Nolvadex and see if you can get relief from the dry mouth. It drove me crazy too! I was constantly sucking on lollies.

• AmyfromMI
    AmyfromMI Member Posts: 115
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi ladies!

I was on Soltamox after Mylan was discontinued. I tried Watson for one month and the bone and joint pain was unbearable. I did some research and found Soltamox. I asked my MO about it and she'd never heard of it (that's how new it was). She wrote a script and I did quite well on it outside of the usual hot flashes and night sweats. Unfortunately, I was just told that Soltamox has now been discontinued. It is imported from the UK so who knows what's going on? I'm back on Mylan (one week now) and quite the happy camper. If anyone hears something different please let us know.

Amy

• TeriMP
    TeriMP Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2015
    Options

hi ladies, I started taking tamoxifen a week ago with no side effects (fingers crossed) except maybe worse hot flashes at night.

I am a bit confused about one of the comments above about how side effects Indicate your estrogen levels are lower now. I thought tamoxifen blocks the tumor from soaking up the estrogen not stops the body from making estrogen (ovarian suppressant).

I asked my MO about tamoxifen uptake testing but they don't do it in saskatchewan, she said it'd have to be sent away and she isn't sure where and it's a 1-2% chance that a person would not metabolize it. I hope she is correct!

Wishing everyone the best and minimal side effects from tamoxifen.

Teri

• katcar0001
    katcar0001 Member Posts: 320
    edited April 2015
    Options

I confirmed that the Nolvadex I purchased in Mexico was manufactured by AstraZeneca in the United Kingdom. I am going to assume it contains the same ingredients as the one that was discontinued in the U.S. and does not contain lactose (yay).

• lenn13ka
    lenn13ka Member Posts: 103
    edited July 2015
    Options

minivan- they just told me the same thing. Bummed. They gave me a new brand but I don't know which one. It is definitely not Watson or Teva.

• AmyfromMI
    edited July 2015
    Options

CVS told me that all tamoxifen brands were not in production. No one is making anything. In their computer system all brands were showing red. Per the pharmacist, f they had been yellow it would mean they're in production but not available yet. Green would mean they are available for order. The only brand my CVS has is Watson and I said no thanks. The bone and joint pain was unbearable for me. I haven't tried Teva. Mylan has been my favored pill. I'm praying Teva doesn't acquire Mylan. Looks like maybe I'll be giving ovarian suppression and an AI a try after a tamoxifen vacation.

• MidLifeCrisis
    MidLifeCrisis Member Posts: 15
    edited July 2015
    Options

AmyfromMI ... when did the bone/joint pain start when you were on the Watson brand? Something that stared immediately or several months (or yrs) later?? Were you able to pinpoint it to a specific ingredient in the Watson brand that is not in the others? Just curious because that seems to be the only brand avail. Thx.

• AmyfromMI
    edited July 2015
    Options

MidLife,

I was initially on Mylan. Then Mylan discontinued production. So I was switched to Watson. the bone and joint pain started within the first week and got progressively worse. I was on it for about two-three months before I called my onc's office in tears. I found Soltamox (a liquid form) after hours of online researching and asked my MO if I could try that. She had never heard of it. It was that new to the market (it entered the U.S. market in October 2012). It is marketed to people having difficulty swallowing pills that's probably why it was hard to find. Three months ago I was told it was no longer available thus the switch back to Mylan. Soltamox is imported from the UK. My CVS has a three month supply in stock though and contacted my onc for a new script. She said it's mine once the script comes in. Soltamox may be back in production. Check them out. My SEs from Watson stopped almost immediately after I quit. My main SEs from both the Mylan and Soltamox has been brain fog, short term memory loss, pelvic cramps and pain, and muscle cramps. I take magnesium for the muscle cramping which has helped tremendously. Although I think I need to up my dosage as I'm starting to get them at night again. Sorry if this was TMI. I know you didn't request it. :-)

Amy

Edited to add: I could not pinpoint the bone and joint pain to a specific ingredient. But the fillers are different in all three meds - Watson, Mylan, and Soltamox

• lenn13ka
    edited July 2015
    Options

I can only take Mylan. When CVS said the were out I refused Watson ( can't do..hate that brand)and have a script for Soltamox.

I don't know anything about it. Anyone? I am on a clinical trial with another drug, palbociclib. I have been on it 7 months (with Mylan) and have just gotten used to it. I really do not want to switch brands of Tamoxifen now. may just ask to go on an AL.

• AmyfromMI
    edited July 2015
    Options

if you can get soltamox try it! If you like the taste of black licorice you'll be fine. Felt like I was having a shot of ouzo every morning! LOL! If anything it was easier SE wise than even Mylan. I'm hoping to get my script back for it now that Mylan is no longer available.

• lenn13ka
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thanks Amy

I have it in pill form. Hopefully it works like you liquid form

• AmyfromMI
    edited July 2015
    Options

I didn't realize Soltamox came in pill form. I'll have to check into it. I'd rather take a pill

• Chenning
    Chenning Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi,

Thank you to everyone for sharing their comments! I have read through them all and so appreciate what you all have shared. This whole cancer thing is scary and it's comforting to know that they are wonderful women out there sharing their experiences with other bc patients!!

I'm starting Tamoxifen tonight, got my prescription this week. Very nervous about starting to take before I start radiation and after reading everyone's comments here.

I already have bone, muscle and joint pain from the chemo plus the medical menopause, I'm so hoping that it all won't get worse!!

My pills that we picked up last night are the mylan brand. I'm here in Sacramento, CA and I got the prescription from Rite Aid. So, not sure why I would have the mylan brand if they have discontinued it? Any chance they started producing again? I hope that it doesn't make all my current se's worse!

Thanks again,

Chris

• shelleym1
    shelleym1 Member Posts: 111
    edited December 2015
    Options

so is Mylan not available anymore? I've been in Teva the whole time and have only recently started having problems. I also heard Teva bought Watson, so even though the bottle says Teva it may actually be manufactured by Watson.

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974
    edited December 2015
    Options

shelleym1---Just the other day I went to my CVS and asked them if they could get me Teva instead of Watson. I want to see if a different brand helps with my allergies. They said it would take about a week but is doable. No one ever mentioned that Teva bought Watson! I hope I'm not switching for nothing!!

• rleepac
    rleepac Member Posts: 193
    edited December 2015
    Options

I've been on Teva brand Tamox for 3 weeks. I have nothing to compare it to but I have bone pain in my neck, back, hips, and knees. I do get more frequent headaches (has triggered a few migraines) and some nausea. I have some brain fog but that hasn't changed since I finished chemo so I can't really blame the Tamox. I've had occasional popping and ringing in my ears but not significant. I was really moody the first week but that subsided. I've read that I should give it 3 months to get used to it but so far it kinda sucks! It's making me wonder if it's really worth it. I guess that's a conversation I need to have with my MO

• jojo9999
    jojo9999 Member Posts: 52
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hi, I have recently posted Teva issues on some of the threads. Teva has bought a number of generic manufacturers over the past few years. To know the manufacturer you really need to look up the number that is imprinted on the pill, not the bottle. I had a bottle that said Teva, but the pills were imprinted with a watson number - then I learned that Teva bought Watson through some previous merger. Atually it was Activis that bought Watson and then Teva bought Activis - and Allergan is mixed in there somewhere. I can't keep it all straight. Go to Drugs.com and look up the number imprinted on your pill. It will tell you the manufacturer *and* the inactive ingredients. I found it somewhat amazing that the list of ingredients was so different for 2 tamox pills that I compared.

• MidLifeCrisis
    MidLifeCrisis Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2016
    Options

great info, Jojo9999!! I have been taking "Watson" (w/no problems, I should add) until my most recent refill that came in an "Actavis" bottle! I was concerned about switching manufacturers, but after reading your post I checked the number imprinted on the pill (it's also on the label) and it is the same as the Watson one! Watson has been given a bad rap, but I was relieved to see it was the same because I didn't want to worry about potentially new SE's. Thanks for posting

• proudmom_wife
    proudmom_wife Member Posts: 176
    edited January 2016
    Options

Called Mylan directly this week and they said they are manufacturing Tamoxifen and 20mg pills are available in 30 and 100 quantities. There was a shortage but they are not back to full production.

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177
    edited March 2016
    Options

I have the hardest time getting the Mylan brand, and will use Teva if there is no way CVS can get Mylan in any mg. Watson and Actavis are the same company Watson purchased Actavis I CAN NOT take.

• jojo9999
    jojo9999 Member Posts: 52
    edited March 2016
    Options

My local pharmacy (grocery store recently bought out by kroger) stopped carrying the Teva that I wanted (said they had to use Kroger's distributor), so I call Costco. I gave them the number imprinted on the pill. It was not what they stocked but said it was a "good" number and could get it for me. I am on my second refill with them. So you might try calling around to different pharmacies.

• cascader
    cascader Member Posts: 152
    edited March 2016
    Options

I am having digestive problems, bloating, pain, gas . Have had all the tests and switched my diet and cannot figure out what is going on. The only thing different is that my Tamoxifen brand changed a month ago about the same time my stomach started hurting. Have been on it 6 years. Know it is probably not related but thought I'd ask if anyone else has experienced this also?

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited September 2016
    Options

Thought I would bump this as many of us have been changed from nolvadex to teva brand ( Canadians) or in the USA visa versa.

I've been on the teva brand for 2 months now. My new SE's are terrible leg & foot cramps, dry mouth , bone & joint pain but worst of all is constipation to the max. I was on the nolvadex for 2 1/2 yrs & had hardly any side effects. I'm seriously considering stopping the t train.

• lisey
    lisey Member Posts: 300
    edited September 2016
    Options

I"m on Teva brand.. 3 months in and have no side effects at all. I took the Kailos Genetics Complete RX test and I'm an ultra rapid metabolizer, so my SE's should be more not less....