Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Did radiologist tell you what % chance biopsy would be benign?

Options

Comments

• GointoCarolina
    GointoCarolina Member Posts: 95
    Options

I apologize for my use of words.When I had my mammo to diagnose cancer,I was told I had to schedule my appointment on a day when the doctor was there as it was diagnostic.They said "the other radiologists cannot do diagnostic mammos".I did not know that there were technical terms to describe them.

• mizmarie
    mizmarie Member Posts: 137
    Options

I didn't get a percentage number, but I asked her straight up if, based on what she saw on the images, she thought it looked ominous, and she said, yes, she did think it would be cancer.  It was after the biopsy that she chose to not be completely frank with me.  She told me that I had grade 2, which was "middle of the road" and no vascular invasion, which was good, and that the surgeon should be able to "scoop" the tumor out without much trouble.  She is highly regarded and considered the best radiologist in town for women, but she clearly is not comfortable with delivering bad news.  I went into the surgeon's office fully expecting things would be easy-peasy, and he burst that bubble pretty quickly - explained the hormone and HER2 status meant we were dealing with an aggressive beast, then told me I needed chemo first and sent me off to an onocologist.  I left his office thinking I'd be dead in 6 months.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    Options

otter, good posts.

When having a biopsy, some women are told by their radiologists whether they think it's cancer or not cancer.  In many cases, the radiologist is right. This isn't surprising.  If the film is BIRADs 4a, then the odds are very high that it's not cancer so if the radiologist says that it doesn't look like cancer, he/she had a good chance of being right.  Similarly, if the film is a BIRADs 4C or a BIRADs 5, then the odds are very high that it will be cancer and if the radiologist tells the patient this, he/she has a good chance of being right.  

The fact that these radiologists were right has led some to conclude that this means that the radiologist does know in advance whether it's cancer or not, either from how the area of suspicion/mass looks on the films or possibly even from how the biopsy sample looks as it is being removed.  The truth is that the radiologist does not know whether or not it's cancer just from looking at the films. They are making a educated guess (highly educated, mind you, but it's still just a guess). Nothing more.  And the truth is that there is absolutely no way that a radiologist can look at a core needle biopsy sample and know if it's cancer or not - cancer cells are microscopic and cannot be seen by the naked eye.  

However no matter how many times anyone says that in this thread or any other thread, there are those who've had radiologists who've given their opinions and who have turned out to be right. They therefore believe that the radiologist could tell, they communicate this and this leads others to believe the same thing.  And then we end up with all those who are frustrated because their radiologist didn't say anything, or didn't tell the truth, or whatever.  Personal anecdotes and individual experiences trump the the hard, dry facts all the time.  

This is not directed at anyone.  And sorry if I sound frustrated but this question comes up often and it's always the same discussion. Even in this thread it's been pointed out several times that there is simply no way that a radiologist can know for certain if it's cancer or not, and yet the posts keep coming that say that this isn't true and that radiologists can tell.   

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    Options

MizMarie, were you talking to the radiologist after she had your pathology report?  Was she officially giving you the results of the biopsy?  And did she have a complete pathology report?  Sometimes the hormone status (and particularly the HER2 status) is added later; do you know that she had this information when she was talking to you? 

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    Options

I ask my radiologist before he started "could you please tell me what is going on." He said I had breast cancer. The reason they were doing the biopsy was to confirm their diagnosis. If the biopsy didn't confirm it they would do a more invasive procedure to prove it. My tumor was around 7cm in the 11:00-3:00 area and very fast growing. He said more but I started to fade out when I heard 7cm because I had small breasts… and that sounded like 1/3 of my breast!

The radiologist that did my biopsy was different than the f*ckn' blind one at the other treatment center that stated "suspicious but not typical of breast cancer" who read the mammo/US and knew that there was blood coming from my nipple! She never even came out to speak to me about it. Just had the tech tell me "you'll need an MRI for sure and possibly a biopsy." She gave it a BIRADs 4

• kicks
    kicks Member Posts: 319
    Options

Radiologist are physicians.  The ones that do the tests are normall the Radiological Technicians - NOT the radiologist.  And NO they are not supposed to give out their version of a diagnosis - that's for the Dr to do..

In my case. my mammo was done and the tech told me that the Dr. wanted me to wait til he had time to look at it.  About 15 min. later i was called back in for a Sono and was told to wait in that room til the Dr. read it.  Within 5 min. he was in and telling me we had to do biopsies which were done.  He told me that as far as he was concerned there was no chance of any benign path.  Next morning he called at 8 and said that the path was exactly what he expected - IBC (my PA's expectation too).  I am very glad that he was honest with me. 

• lago
    Options

Yes the technician did the test but the radiologist, the one that was reading onsite and had me do an US was there but did not come out to speak with me.

• mizmarie
    mizmarie Member Posts: 137
    Options

Hi Beesie, yes, I have a copy of the final pathology and it is "signed" several hours prior to when I spoke with her, and it contained the information she provided, plus the details she didn't mention.  To be fair, at that point, I thought cancer was cancer and had never heard of hormone receptors or HER2.  I suppose she didn't want to second-guess what the surgeon might recommend, but a little heads up would have made for a less traumatic experience in the surgeon's office. 

• sndlu49
    sndlu49 Member Posts: 4
    Options

I got my results  this evening, flat epithelial atypia and they want me to have an excisional biopsy.  I am meeting with a surgeon next week. Has anyone heard of this? 

• snassar
    snassar Member Posts: 5
    Options

I got home from work a few min before 5 p.m. Returned call to nurse (she had left msg earlier in the afternoon). Was told that she was on the phone. I've been on pins and needles waiting to hear biopsy results. The receptionist told me to call back in the morning because it was nearly 5 and no one could call me back after 5. I asked, if it is bad? if it is cancer, can she call me for even a minute. Receptionist said no, you will have to call back in the morning. Yesterday I saw my eye dr. (they are at the same HMO), she was unbelievably sweet, very out of character and she had my entire file with her. I told my coworkers before I left work yesterday, how rude the eye dr is typically but is a really good Dr. Her uncharacteristic kindness, and even patting me on the shoulder left me with a sinking feeling that she had seen something I didn't know about yet.  I know it is no good to tear myself up with worry but have the strongest feeling it turned out to be malignant. already know was not fluid. They had to switch from the aspiration deal to the biopsy to try and get the node. they told me they were trying to get as much tissue as possible. Thank you for listening. this is such a wonderful resource so share our concerns. Hugs to you all. Sherry in Houston - still waiting.

• lago
    Options

snassar the waiting is awful. One thing I've learned is don't try to read any of these MDs behavior. ♥ ♥ ♥

• snassar
    snassar Member Posts: 5
    Options

Dear Lago, thank you so much for writing. You are so right about the waiting. has dragged on now for a month. My youngest son had cancer and actually he was in remission and in a trial study at M.D. Anderson but then I lost him in a tragic car accident. I've been worried for my 4-legged kids (have all my rescue dogs and a foster cat and love them so much). Haven't told any family yet - just co-workers, was waiting until I knew anything for sure as my son in Chicago would want to stop his life and come home. A young man who works with us and keeps us laughing all the time, says Sherry you are SO dramatic (: but he is young; hasn't faced too much yet in life.  Lots of friends have gone down this road and have such good senses of humor - so may I emulate them (:  You are right about not reading too much from other people but it is kind of noticeable - like when I was having the biopsy there were four people in the room all being so cheerful and kind and once they knew I'm a big animal lover and volunteer etc. all of a sudden all of them were talking about all their dogs and rescue dogs and I'm thinking are they just trying to humor me (:  Thanks again for writing. speaking of my dogs, time for their bathroom break in back yard now. Warm wishes, Sherry

• lago
    Options

snassar I didn't say anything to my mom till I was told I had cancer. My feeling was why worry them when it might be nothing. She didn't even know I was going in for a biopsy. I know you keep reading here and everyone tells you it gets better but it does… you just need some answers.

How tragic regarding your youngest. 

• kltb04
    kltb04 Member Posts: 234
    Options

I went to a large imaging center at which the radiologist comes and talks to you after your procedure. I was told after my diagnostic mammogram by the radiologist that "the microcalcifications are highly suspicious of DCIS" and "you are looking at some surgery".  He was very abrupt and just kind of half patted me on the shoulder and left.  Then the tech sat down and talked to me for quite some time. 

The next day after the stereotactic biopsy, I was told by ANOTHER radiologist (big imaging center, different day) that it appeared to be not just DCIS but also IDC.  I kept pleading with him to tell me whether he thought it could have spread and of course he did not have those answers.  I had a very sweet tech that day but she didn't really help matters with the statements "this isn't a death sentence" (at that time I wasn't even considering such!) and when she said "if you didn't think you could handle the information, you wouldn't have asked."  She practically chased me into the waiting room asking if I wanted to talk more but I just had to get out of there. 

Back to the radiologist - he was very patient but also very reserved.  He called with results the next afternoon and talked with me for quite some time as well as giving me his telephone number at another hospital where he was working over the weekend (which I used).  The entire time he answered all my questions but told me repeatedly that I would get more answers after I met with the BS the next week.  

Sherry, I also just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you.  I know the waiting game is horrible.  (((HUGS)))

• janet456
    janet456 Member Posts: 14
    Options

I can see that nobody has posted on this thread since March 2012 - but I thought I would share my experience to date as I also know that newbies like me read absolutely everything..... so here goes:

Had a first routine mammo, got called back immediately for another mammo, followed by US and biopsy.

I was told there and then that is was 5cm by 3cm and solid and the biopsy would just confirm that I was looking at chemo to shrink the mass prior to surgery.  I would also need hormone therapy and radiation.  I could expect an appt with a BS within one week to be told the specifics of my treatment plan. 

One week later the results were benign.  So I had another biopsy with alot more samples taken this time round.

One week later the results are again benign so I am now awaiting the date for a lumpectory.

Shall keep you posted.  I would like to feel relieved but I cannot get out of my head what I was first told prior to biopsy.  Obviously had I been told something along the lines of "let's just wait and see the biopsy results" I would be feeling very different now.

However I can also add that if I have been "over called" I would rather it be this way round.

Janet xxx 

• lago
    Options

Janet I really hope you have a benign issue. Fingers crossed for you.

• Sommer43
    Sommer43 Member Posts: 45
    Options

There was no percentage from my radiologist, he stated the words "unequivocally benign" without biopsy. 

• Belinda977
    Belinda977 Member Posts: 150
    Options

My radiologist was pretty certain when she looked at the lesion on sonogram.  I could tell within a minute when she said it was "highly suspicious".  It was only 1.5 cm but she know.  Just as she knew the fibrodenoma in my other breast was no cancer.  I think in most cases they know pretty quickly.

• Jstepp
    Jstepp Member Posts: 1
    Options

My ultrasound and mammo was inconclusive due to extremely dense breast. Had MRI, first radiologist called to say they couldn't be sure and needed additional imaging and they would do it at no additional cost.  Scheduled for next week but yesterday another radiologist called my dr and said it was fine and he felt like it was just a benign cluster of cyst. Doesn't feel real reassuring.... The second radiologist said Birads 2 and have her rechecked in 3months. I'd really like to know why the first radiologist wasn't sure.

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    Options

Reading through these it strikes me that no one - not even my PCP, much less radiologists or surgeons ever expressed anything like 'I'm sorry it's cancer.' They were all quite cold and clinical about it. My PCP went on and on about how it was just a bump in the road of life after telling me that yes, the tumor was malignant and so was the lymph node. I haven't heard one word from her since - nor would I want to. 

My MO's MA was really sweet and compassionate (wish they would clone her) and the 3rd surgeon I saw is worth her weight in gold, as are her staff. 

I wonder sometimes if this is how they would hope to be treated if the shoe was on the other foot?

• lago
    Options

Hopeful82014 my former PCP (retired 1.5 years ago) was wonderful when I was diagnosed. He had his resident check in on my at the hospital after my BMX. PCP's nurse also called me to check up once I got home.

• lyzzysmom
    lyzzysmom Member Posts: 285
    Options

My PCP is very attentive and sent me for an ultrasound although my symptoms had dissappeared. I thought it was cancer when the tech called in the doctor to check what we were seeing on the screen. I could see the shadow and the doctor said it was not a cyst which I had had before. I also had a diagnostic mammo and he actually tried to get a biopsy done immediately but it was Friday and there was not an opening until the following Wednesday. Nobody indicated what it was during the ultrasound, mammo or biopsy, but my PCP called me at work the day after the biopsy with the bad news. She is a sweetie and I was not really paying attention to what she was saying as I was kind of expecting it and I actually felt bad for her as she hated telling me!

• LexiGirl33931
    LexiGirl33931 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Where I live, radiologists are not permitted to give out any medical information at the time of testing. However, mine did. He came into my exam room and told me to go home and prepare for the worst. Then, he came out into the waiting room and, in front of other patients, said the same thing to my husband (which brought him to tears). I have yet to receive a firm diagnosis and have been waiting since Sept 3 with that radiologist's words always in my mind

• lago
    Options

What a jerk. He gave you no information as far as I am concerned. Waiting since Sept 1! That's too long. Call and get your images and bring them somewhere else. Make an appointment with a Breast surgeon and take those images with you.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    Options

I agree with Lago, get your test results and find a new center.  I would not have confidence in any doc or place that acted that way

• LexiGirl33931
    LexiGirl33931 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Since Sept 3 I have gone on to have an ultrasound-guided core biopsy, several more mammos & ultrasounds and, most recently, a wire-guided excisional breast biopsy. There have been unclear and conflicted readings of results from the original mammos & core biopsy. I have already met with a breast surgeon. Results from excisional breast biopsy are due in 2 days. I have not actually had to wait too long between tests. My problem is that, after all these tests and time gone by, I still have no diagnosis. Hopefully, my appt with surgeon this Friday will finally give me some answers because I am a complete mess!

• lago
    Options

You should have a diagnosis on Friday. Let us know what happens.

• susanmee
    susanmee Member Posts: 1
    Options

I know this is an old thread but I read it during my very long wait for a core biopsy and then again while waiting for the pathology report. The reason I read it was that when I went for an ultrasound (after an abnormal mamo). I was absolutely shocked when the radiologist said the following, "This looks like cancer to me, I've been wrong before but this really looks like cancer. You have two solid masses and you may get lucky and avoid a mastectomy because they're close together". I came in to get an ultrasound and I was supposed to feel lucky leaving because I may avoid a mastectomy? I had no idea a radiologist could say those things to me after an ultrasound. I cried the entire way home and then tried to act normal in front of my 3 kids. I had to wait two weeks for the core needle biopsy because the group I go to is so busy. It was agonizing. I couldn't function, couldn't concentrate at work, couldn't sleep. My husband works nights so I was alone in bed at night staring at the ceiling too anxious to sleep. I asked the radiologist who did my biopsy what she thought and she said it can go either way (I was a birads 4 by the way). But then she proceeded to give me the name and number of a breast surgeon that she recommends. I didn't take that as a good sign. I waited another three days for the pathology report. I was ready to hear that I had cancer. I had done my homework and had a list of questions about the pathology report. However, I was overjoyed when they said neither mass was cancer. The radiologist was wrong!

The pathology report said "breast tissue with fibrocystic changes including ductile hyperplasia of the usual type, adenosis, cysts and stromal fibrosis." They recommend I have the masses removed for further testing to confirm the biopsy results (which I will be doing in a few weeks). But I hope my story brings a bit of comfort to someone out there who like me is in limbo after a radiologist told them they have cancer.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,999
    Options

Dear susanmee, Welcome to BCO and thank you for taking the time to share your story. We are glad that your results were benign but certainly hear the fear of being led to believe you had a strong possibility of cancer. You are right that this thread has not had recent activity. You may want to consider starting a new topic in this forum which might give your story more attention. That is up to you. It would be great for other readers to see. Thanks again. The Mods

• alicki
    alicki Member Posts: 85
    Options
    Hi,

about 90% she said and was right

alicki