Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Did radiologist tell you what % chance biopsy would be benign?

Options
13»

Comments

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    Options

My radiologist told me they were doing the biopsy to prove their diagnosis of breast cancer. I kinda knew that. Granted no one ever felt a lump but some bloody discharge was not a good sign.

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    Options

Mammogram: "Come back for a more focused view. Probably nothing."

PCP: "No big deal, most likely nothing."

Focused mammogram: "Can't tell, need a biopsy, probably nothing, don't worry."

PCP: "Oh, the biopsy's a breeze. Probably nothing."

Biopsy: Very painful. "It's cancer but it's DCIS, low grade. You'll get a lumpectomy and SNB. Many women are back to work in a few days." Actually, it was high grade--he misspoke. He had my chart because within half an hour my PCP called. I asked her to send me a copy, and it said "high grade." If a medical friend hadn't told me "this means you're looking at a mastectomy," I'd have fainted in the surgeon's office after the MRI.

MRI. Surgeon: "Actually, I'm more worried about the other breast, where it looks like you have a tumor." Which I did. And needed bilateral mastectomy with SLNs on both sides. And I'm down with that, but it's a far cry from what the radiologist told me.

Frankly, I wish the radiologist and PCP had shut up. I didn't ask them, they volunteered the info. And I have a new radiologist.

• SkipTheBadGetToTheGood
    Options

Just wondering if anyone has had benign results after a birad 5 rating. Routine mammo - repeat mammo magnification views- ultrasound- core needle biopsy- results benign- radiologist says tissue sample not adequate- second biopsy ultrasound guided- waiting on results. I ask, if I'm in the 5% and it turns out benign again, I'm okay right? No, she says, if it were me, I would have it removed anyway. It's spiculated with cluster of microcalcifications nearby. I sort of want to say, "You know, I would be so happy if you're wrong. You're still a good doctor, but someone has to land in the 5% zone and maybe it's me!" I almost feel like she wants to be right out of pride. ( Unintentionally Im sure) I suppose it doesn't matter much " what she wants". Anyway, anyone ever have a similar experience. Also,looking for the name of an excellent plastic surgeon ( preferably in Canada, but willing to travel to US too) Hugs to all:)

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    Options

Hi Skip. I think it is pretty common to do the excisional biopsy when they feel the results are discordant with the imaging. I hope you're in the 5% too! I have seen several here

• lago
    Options

SkipTheBadGetToTheGood 4 years prior to diagnosis I had a "scare". They did a mammogram then later an ultra sound. Said it was nothing. 4 years later in the same spot it was a 6.5cm tumor (including 1cm invasive part). Hope you're the 5 % but if it's something I would want it out.

• debiann
    debiann Member Posts: 447
    Options

The big ugly splotch on my mammo looked pretty scary, even to me, particularly since there was nothing there 18 months earlier, so I was prepared for the worst from the get go. The image on the ultrasound looked just like the cancerous tumors I googled before the test, so when the radiologist said, "I want to prepare you, its cancer," I had to agree. I did, however try to say, "but maybe its.....", to which she replied, "No, its cancer" so the only percent I was given was 100% cancer and of course, unfortunately she was right. I don't remember being given a birads score.

I hope your's is benign, but if they recommend taking it out anyway, by all means get it out of there before it is something worse.

Good luck to you.

• Ddw79
    Ddw79 Member Posts: 217
    Options

They kept telling me that 80% come back benign. They didn't say anything about me personally. I guess I was in the 20%.

But if they personally reassured me I would consider that a good sign

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    Options

I also received the 80% speech...guess I was in the 20% too Scared

• CindiVF
    CindiVF Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi all. I had two stereotactic biopsies on July 3 for two areas of microcalcifications in my right breast. I was told one group was starting to "line up." I could actually see them - six little dots in a row. The radiologist couldn't make out their shape. The second was a cluster within some dense tissue (I have very dense breasts). I've had other biopsies in the past as well. One excisional (fibroadenoma) in 1999, right breast, one ultrasound guided (fibroadenoma) 2006 right breast, one needle aspiration (cyst) 2006 left breast, stereotactic 2010 (microcalcifications - fibrocystic changes) right breast. I'm 48 years old. The biopsies I had on July 3 came back as fibrocystic changes. I was very worried because of the calcs that were in a line for the one area, I was worried because there were TWO areas of calc, and I was also freaked out because the radiologist used the words "of intermediate concern" for both areas that were to be biopsied (I didn't ask, but probably was a BIRAD 4B). That of course is better than highly suspicious (4C or 5), but still, there was not one point during this last round of biopsies when any of my providers (2 radiologists, my GYN or any nurses) told me not to be worried.

I wanted to share my story because sometimes what doesn't look to be good turns out okay. I have a grandmother who had two separate instances of BC, and many biopsies leading up to her diagnosis. As I was reading through stories on this site and others about microcalcifications, I hadn't come across anyone who had had as many biopsies as I have had at my age, but I'm sure there are many who have. Just in case you are reading this and are getting more scared about the number you have had, a good outcome can happen.

I pray for all on this site who have been diagnosed. You are amazing women who are very supportive.

• marathongirl
    marathongirl Member Posts: 16
    Options

Since 2007 when I started my regular annual screenings at age 40, I've had three mammograms that revealed I needed a biopsy. The first time, they said "low suspicion" and it turned out to be ADH. The next year, they said "it could just be scar tissue from your biopsy" turned out to be DCIS. That was followed by lumpectomy, radiation, and five years of tamoxifen. Good mammos from 2009 until this year. New spot showed up, radiologist said "If I had to put a number on it, I'd say 80% chance of being benign." Well, it was Invasive Mucinous Carcinoma. :-( Luckily, it was grade 1 and from what this site tells me, has a very good prognosis. So......I seem to beat the odds on this one in a bad way but at least get the best of the bad news.

• CAMommy
    CAMommy Member Posts: 93
    Options

I was told by the radiologist after my diagnostic mammo to expect it to be DCIS. Then my GYN told me I wouldn't be surprised if it is DCIS.

So I pretty much knew I was going to be in the 20%.

• Ddw79
    Options

I Was told 80/20 but I was 62 so I was not at all surprised that findings were not benign. Not cancer... Yet but not benign

• Ddw79
    Options

I actually don't think it matters much what they say. Until you know , what's the sense of guessing ?

• maggs3
    maggs3 Member Posts: 2
    Options

I just looked at my Radiology report. My biopsy is Tuesday. It's a BI-RAD Category 4 complex cyst. She told me not to worry she feels it's benign. But a Category 4? That's not good!! I'm shaking, nauseous and not sure how I'll get to Tuesday

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    Options

Yes, maggs3, a Category 4. That's no reason to worry.

A BIRADs Catgeory 4 means that although the imaging does not have the appearance of cancer, what is seen on the imaging is suspicious enough to warrant a biopsy. Anything that a Radiologist deems to have a 2% or greater risk of cancer is rated as a BIRADs 4, so that a biopsy can be done.

Imaging that the Radiologist assesses to have less than a 2% risk of cancer is rated a BIRADs 3, with the recommendation for short-team follow-up rather than a biopsy.

So if the Radiologist thought that a biopsy would be a good idea just for peace of mind and to confirm that your mass is benign, in order to be the biopsy approved, she had to give it a BIRADs 4 rating. It’s a simple as that.

You were told by the Radiologist that she thinks this is benign. Go with that, rather than with random things you read (and possibly misinterpret, as it relates to your situation) on the internet.

• Paco
    Paco Member Posts: 53
    Options

I had had an annual mammogram since age 40 at a local breast center. This year, at age 48, I went to a different breast center. BOOM! The radiologist found medium-grade DCIS. Biopsy confirmed and lumpectomy pathology further confirmed. I will be forever grateful to that radiologist. How long had it gone undetected? I'll never know but I'll always wonder.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    Options

Kelly, that's how many if not most of us get diagnosed. Year after year, we have screenings that are fine, until one year we have a screening that is not fine. Then additional imaging is done, then a biopsy, and for some of us, a diagnosis.

I've read that most cancers have been in the breast for anywhere from 3 years to 10 years before they develop to a point where it shows up on imaging. The fact that a cancer was not found one year and was found the next doesn't mean in most cases that something was missed the prior year. In some cases a Radiologist might have made a judgement call that something hardly visible wasn't anything to be concerned about, but most often, whatever was seen the following year simply didn't show up on the imaging the year before.

The problem most often isn't with the imaging center or the Radiologist; the problem is the fact that cancer develops out of nowhere, and that mammograms don't catch all cancers or catch them at the earliest point as soon as those first cancer cells develop.

In your case, you have a small DCIS, which is the earliest stage of breast cancer. Even if your DCIS had been faintly visible in prior years and had gone undetected, it likely didn't advance much if at all.

• maggs3
    maggs3 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks Beesie!

I've been all over the internet and just saw this now. I've read the link you sent me as well. I'm feeling better, thank you so much! Still nervous but I'm sure many people feel this way before the biopsy. Listening to Vivaldi, having a cup of Ginger tea and tomorrow is already Monday! Thank you so very much!!!

• Blackbird70
    Blackbird70 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hey there, I just wanted to chime in with another reference point on this question. I just had a breast biopsy a few days ago. My radiologist who read the diagnostic mammogram and sent me for the biopsy said that based on what he saw, he thought it was a 50% chance of being positive. The mammogram results, when they were sent to me, were Bi-Rad 4. I was very worried going into the biopsy. But I just got the call a few hours ago that my biopsy was completely benign. Bear in mind things can go either way but they never really know til they look at the cells themselves. Good luck!

• momto3sons
    momto3sons Member Posts: 68
    Options

That's great to hear, Blackbird!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,999
    Options

Dear Blackbird70,

Thanks for sharing your good news. The Mods

• dalloway
    dalloway Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi there. I’m so glad to have found this resource. I just came from a screening mammo that turned into a diagnostic mammo and then an ultrasound. The radiologist didn’t tell me a specific percentage but he did say it was a very small nodule and that he thought it was most likely B9 but he is sending me for a biopsy just to be safe. He said most of these things turn out to be nothing, so I should try not to worry. I’m a certified professional medical radiology coder, so I am well versed in reading mammograms and ultrasounds and radiology reports. You’d think I would’ve thought to ask about the BIRADS rating, but I was so freaked out I forgot to ask about It. I just called them back and asked and it’s a 4. I also asked them to mail me a copy of the report. Biopsy is next Thursday. Yikes. I’m scared. :/

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    Options

They’ve pretty much told you they believe it is benign and a Birads 4 is 80% (or even 90% for a Birads 4a) chance of being benign.If it had been a Birads 3 (estimated to be less than 3% chance of being cancer) they wouldn’t have recommended a biopsy.

• lago
    Options

Yes. He said 0%. He said they were doing the biopsy to prove their diagnosis that I had breast cancer.

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    Options

Yes, and he was not correct in my case.

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    Options

My radiologist told me upon mammogram and ultrasound that he was 99% sure I had cancer. He showed

me the mammogram. Even to my very untrained eye at the time, it was VERY visible and huge! He was right.

My mom's radiologist told her she was 100% sure my mom had cancer before the biopsy. Since our family had

been through so much, she wanted us to be prepared when we got the biopsy results. She was right.

• rational
    rational Member Posts: 3
    Options

At the diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound appointment, the radiologist was talking about abnormalities in appearance of mass and vascular activity around it. I asked her about probability of it being cancer. I left the appointment pretty much knowing it was cancer and that the biopsy was to confirm malignant. Prior to biopsy, my birad was 5. After biopsy, it was 6.

• capecodgirl
    capecodgirl Member Posts: 93
    Options

During my ultrasound the radiologistand I were chatting. All of a sudden her voice changed and her facial expression just “dropped”. She told me she saw a suspicious area, and unfortunately believed it to be malignant. I went back the next day for biopsy. They did a quick pathology while I waited, and she was right. It was malignant. Later on I got the full pathology report and it was a birads 5.

• SpiritMayhem
    SpiritMayhem Member Posts: 2
    Options

So, I'm new to all of this, and am still trying to sort through everything. I found a lump a few weeks ago. Make appointment with my Dr on a Wednesday. Following Monday, diagnostic mammo. That Wednesday, ultrasound. Results that Friday. Radiologist recommendation: biopsy and surgical consult for suspected malignancy. Asymmetrical, hypoechoic, and hypervascular with undefined angular margins. I have no idea what to think. I've been trying to make sense of all this new information, and it doesn't feel real. Any help is appreciated greatly. Thank you!