Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2 yrs after DIEP

baybeach100
baybeach100 Member Posts: 4
edited June 2014 in Breast Reconstruction

I am the type to periodically gain and loose 5lbs . Now after diep, I am finding the 5lbs that used to end up as belly fat now are landing on my muffin tops .Any one else had this type of expierience? I love my new boobs and my flat tummy but are frustrated with my new, somewhat out of proportion figure .

Comments

• encoremom
    encoremom Member Posts: 37
    edited January 2012

Hi, I am almost three years out from my DIEP and I have the same proportional issue.  It really feels nice when I'm down to a good weight but right now I've gained a few pounds back and the muffin top is there in all its glory.  It really looks strange because my boobs are smaller than before, my muffin top bigger, and my tummy flatter.    I wish I had an answer but I don't.  I'm back to wearing blousy tops rather than tucking my shirt in.

• Katiejane
    Katiejane Member Posts: 188
    edited January 2012

I hate to ask a stupid question, but what is a "muffin top"?

• baybeach100
    edited January 2012

Ohh.. the area above your butt, on either side of your spine. It pops over your pant waist like a "muffintop". You are lucky, must not have the look !

• Katiejane
    edited January 2012

Thanks!  I knew I was missing something!  No I don't have the look yet but I'm planning my DIEP for this summer. Will keep an eye out for that down the road!  Tell me, are you ladies pleased w/ you results and would you make the same choice again?  Did either of you have lymphedema before DIEP or develope it after the surgery? And one more....I work 12 hour shifts in a hospital-how long until you started to feel like your old self?  Thanks so much!!!   katiejane 

• baybeach100
    edited January 2012

Good luck with your upcoming DIEP! Absolutely, I would have the procedure again. I love the my new boobs and the tummy tuck was welcomed. Never had any Lymphedema issues, had three nodes on each side removed and they were clear. I had my surgery mid January and I was back to work full time (8hrs standing and lifting) beginning of March. I even started pilates again at the same time. I'd give yourself the full 8 weeks but I bet you will start feeling alot like your old self after 6. Again , best of luck!! Baybeach100

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    edited January 2012

Why can't they lipo the muffin top

• morgaine109
    morgaine109 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012

I too have a muffin top. I had my diep 4 years ago and I look wierd. I'm told it can be lipo'd out but wouldn't the fat still come back somewhere else? My waist, after the diep, added 2 inches immediately it seems.

• mrsnjband
    mrsnjband Member Posts: 64
    edited January 2012

I don't have a muffin top, but my waist isn't much smaller than before. I sure look a lot better & more balanced shape wise.  I'd do it again. 

• Katiejane
    edited January 2012

Baybeach100,   Thanks for your input-I am so excited and a bit scared for my upcoming DIEP.  Dr. M has evaluated me and feels the LE will improved by having this surgery.  I know it's a gamble but what in life isn't??  Thanks for sharing your positive story!     Katiejane