Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

All things bras & prosthesis

Options

Comments

• Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 237
    edited May 2012
    Options

Barbara,

Thanks for your info about PurFit. If I have a chance to try it, I'll let you know what I think.

• beacon800
    beacon800 Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2012
    Options

Erica, looking forward to your review of this approach.

I wore the combo all day yesterday and found it very comfortable.  More structured than just the microbead, lighter than the all silicone.  Like all forms, the bra has to be right for it especially since you have two different forms in there, it's important they not start swimming around.  I used a seamless, lightly lined, molded cup, like a tee shirt bra with pockets sewn in.  It did work very well and I might make it my new "daily wear" form.  I had been using microbead only as my daily wear.

Like you, I had those swimforms sitting on the shelf and they never got out of the box.  Glad to find a use for them now! 

• crystalphm
    crystalphm Member Posts: 277
    edited May 2012
    Options

I am excited about the Purfit, or the swimforms and using the microbead forms with them.

It made me consider that when I buy jewelry or clothing, usually the first thing i do is alter it in some way. This is something I have never considered with the whole prosthesis issue, to somehow "make it mine".

One question about silicon, mine wants to collapse, actually my memoryfoams want to collapse too, like get more concave in the part against my body. Maybe I just have to deal with this until I can wear something tighter than a cami.

And is there any danger in wearing silicone against my skin instead of in a pocket?

• barbiecorn
    barbiecorn Member Posts: 86
    edited May 2012
    Options

Ladies - a little off topic...but are any of you still feeling the tightness and numbness of the BMX in the chest area...also the over the breast area is still sore to the touch after three months post surgery...normal????  Some days are much better than others.  I also find the weather effecting my complaints??? Comments???

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited May 2012
    Options

Barbara, the lady who sold me the featherweights while I was in the hospital tried to talk me into a bigger size, "because you are tall". But I had the impression that she meant "You are tall enough that you can go bigger without looking like a bad joke," which is probably true, except I was tiny for most of my 20s and I really prefer it that way. Besides I am thinly built and only 5'8"(which others consider much taller than I do) so I stick to a size 4 or 5.

Barbiecorn, yes, unfortunately that is normal. It WILL get better in fits and starts over time. At the three month mark it was driving me nuts, because I felt like it would NEVER get better. Now I am almost eight months out (wow!) and although I still feel it a bit sometimes, it is much milder and less often and for shorter periods of time. Do make sure you do a few stretches every day and try to get some exercise too.

• CLC
    CLC Member Posts: 615
    edited May 2012
    Options

barbiecorn...I really really really encourage all to get physical therapy.  I do still have some pain and stiffness, but I know that my range of motion is way better because I did pt.  My bs never thought it was necessary.  My gp prescribed it.  And I am grateful.  Just a thought.  Claire

• Momine
    edited May 2012
    Options

CLC, it is my firm conviction that all MX patients should be given PT as a matter of course. If nothing else it is ONE treatment in the sea of miserable treatments that actually makes you feel good. So it helps psychologically at the very least. My weekly PT appointment was my haven all through chemo and rads. It also really helped me come to terms with my new body and feel comfortable in my skin.

• CLC
    CLC Member Posts: 615
    edited May 2012
    Options

Momine...I agree.  And you are so right about it helping with coming to terms with the new body.  I never really thought about that, but I think you are so so right.  Going in and having them do the massage made it all just a little more normal and okay...:)

• Erica
    edited May 2012
    Options

barbiecorn,

I agree with CLC. Physical therapy made a huge difference for me, both for range of motion and quieting the sensitivity in my chest. I now have feeling over much of my chest and no longer have any tightness. This was pretty true after a year and has only gotten better over time (I'm now five years out from surgery). If you decide to go the PT route, try to find someone who specializes in working with breast cancer patients.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,879
    edited May 2012
    Options

Crystalphm, They make adhesive silicone foobs, so I think there wouldn't be a problem to wear them next to your skin--except there's no air and it might be uncomfortable in hot weather. What would keep them there if you don't wear a bra or cami? My silicone came in a box with a shaped cradle. I was told to keep it there and not to lay it flat. I have added pockets to my pre-surgery bras. Very easy to do.

• barbiecorn
    edited May 2012
    Options

Thanks ladies for your input!!!!  At least I know it is normal.  (((hugs)))  P.S. I went for accupuncture and it helped a lot - now it is back because I didn't go last week  but am going this week again.  When you start off, you should go once a week.  I do the stretching exercises all the time and my range of motion is fine...it is just that after 13 weeks, I guess I have to expect it for now.

• crystalphm
    edited May 2012
    Options

barbiecon, Yes, what you are feeling is normal, I still feel it two years later, but only at times.

Ok, other than my microbead foobs, all my foobs do not touch my skin in the center of each dearly departed breast. So the foobs sort of "cup" the area and I am always feeling like I am losing them. Even with a mastectomy bra. I must be pretty concave, I don't have anyone to compare myself to.

But when i wear the memoryfoam or the silicon against my skin (instead of in a pocket) it warms and seems to shape better and stay more snug against me. So I was asking is it ok to wear these things against my skin instead of putting them in the pocket? A shelf bra cami holds them in place easy enough.

I do not know why this is such a struggle for me...Does anyone agree that there is always som degree of 'discomfort" in wearing prosthesis breasts, or do most women feel they don't even notice feeling anything?

• Cats134
    Cats134 Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2012
    Options

I'm the proud new owner of two sets of foobs (light wts and silicone and I prefer the light weights) plus 3 new bras.  Two of the bras are NaturalWear Sophia and I LOVE them.  Now that is saying something because I HATE bras.  I wish I knew about these bras years ago, I would have worn them then.  They are sport like, soft, wide straps, and just so comfy that I often forget I'm wearing them.  I actually like wearing the bras because they help with that tight band feeling and the swelling I still have under my armpits.

Cats 

• river_rat
    river_rat Member Posts: 317
    edited May 2012
    Options

Cats134, do you know the model number or name of the NaturalWear bras?

• Cats134
    edited May 2012
    Options

Hi River Rat...I just realized I didn't put that info in and came back to do so.  Its the Sophia bra.  They are truly comfy!

Cats 

• river_rat
    river_rat Member Posts: 317
    edited May 2012
    Options

Thanks, Cats!  I can't tell by the pictures, can the length of the straps can be adjusted?

Edited to add:  I found that yes the straps can be adjusted. 

• crystalphm
    edited May 2012
    Options

Thank you for this information on the Sophia Bra... I appreicate this.

Ok, here is a question, I am invited to a wedding, every single dress I own is too low cut, I have no bra, no silicone foobs, basically I am a mess here. (my second mastectomy was before christmas and I never got around to buying silicon because I am not sure I would wear it.

So I am asking, for one night, would you put the money out, buy a dress, mastectomy bra, silicon? Or would you try to do it with all the fashion tips I have received from ALL of you, maybe with a lovely shawl?

Another question, do you think in any way it is an insult to a wedding (my dear friend) if I choose to not wear boobs? (I wear boobs about 2 days a month now). I don't want to be rude and I am not sure how this booblessness fits into the picture of being rude. (Like not wearing combat boots to a wedding...)

Thanks!

• Momine
    edited May 2012
    Options

Crystal, I would probably wear a dress where I could tack the fiberfill foobs directly into the dress, and then cover the cleavage with a piece of lace or a scarf.

• barbiecorn
    edited May 2012
    Options

I just want to say all the bras bother me because I still feel the incisions from the BMX but it is only 3 months.  I am going to check out that Sophia bra...I hate that tight banding feeling and if that bra helps that feeling, I am going for it.  Thanks....  Cats - is it the Sophia 330 bra???????????

• Cats134
    edited May 2012
    Options

River-Yes, straps are adjustable.

Barbie, yes it's the 330 bra.

Crystal, I think Momine has a great idea about tacking the foobs into the dress, then being creative with a scarf or lace.  But if you are comfortable going breastfree, then all means, be comfy.  I'm sure your friend will just be happy that you are celebrating her special day with her. 

Cats 

• barbiecorn
    edited May 2012
    Options

Thanks Cats

• Erica
    edited May 2012
    Options

Starak (Barbara) mentioned the PurFit by Amoena earlier in this thread. I had a chance to try it today and wanted to report back. The form has a lot of great qualities and might work really well for some women, especially those who want something ultra-light with a softer look and feel. The form is constructed with a concave silicone shell with integrated foam cup contained in a smooth, thin cover; fiberfill can be inserted into the back to create desired volume. The main problem I had with the form is that the way it's constructed results in a ridge around its edges. Some people probably won't be bothered by this at all, but when I tried in in one of the shear bras I like to wear you could see the ridge and I felt it would show through in my fitted tees (my staple tops). So, I didn't feel it was the right form for me.

I tried another form while I was at the mastectomy shop, the new TruLife Impressions form, which uses the technology of the custom Radiant Impressions form, a company which which TruLife purchased. Here's my review of it, which I just posted in another thread:

I had a chance to try the Impressions form today. My fitter had only one in my size (4), so I couldn't get the full bilateral effect. The good news -- as you know, the form is exceptionally light; it also conforms to my skin and stays put in a regular bra; I felt I might be able to wear it directly against my skin in an unpocketed bra as it didn't have the "sticky" feeling I usually get when I put silicone next to my skin; plus, I actually liked the shape (I find some TruLife forms droop too much for me). BUT (there's always a but, isn't there? Frown), the problem I had with the form is that under a somewhat shear bra it had a strange mottled appearance. It wasn't smooth, like a form normally would be. I like the simulated areola and nipple. What I'm referring to is the rest of the form.

The form is also rather hard to arrange in a pocketed bra. The fitter (whom I like) said she's not too big on the form and commented that a number of women said that in pocketed bras, the form tends to almost stick to the pocket and is hard to adjust. In certain kinds of bras, though (more molded ones, where the mottling wouldn't come through), I think this form could be great. It certainly is the lightest all-silicone form I've ever tried. So, a qualified endorsement from me. I didn't like it enough to use my insurance allotment for it, but I think it's worth checking out for someone who's in the market for a new form.

Both these forms were interesting, though not quite appealing enough for me to spend my insurance allotment on them. However, I'm thrilled that innovative new forms are still being developed. 

Barbara

• crystalphm
    edited May 2012
    Options

Barbara, I am pleased to read your report on these two forms. I have to pick up my insurance paperwork now for my new silicons and so I will be looking in the next few weeks. Both of these sound like something I would like to see and try on.

I very much like the fact that I have names written down to ask the fitter about. Last time there was one choice and one choice only, and I found that so hard to believe. I expected to see, well, boobs all over! and all that happened was I wait in a little dressing room wearing their silk dressing gown, and they carry the boob in under a lace cover....but my personality is I want to see all of them!

So at least I have names to ask about!

Thanks to all who report here!

• Starak
    Starak Member Posts: 311
    edited May 2012
    Options

Thank you Barbara (Erica)!!   I knew you would catch the little details like the ridge on the PurFit and that it is partially foam that I missed.  Nice to have an idea about the Impressions form as well. Smile

Now that time has passed, I thought I would update on a couple of my own things.

In bras, I generally go for a seamless soft cup with a silky or very soft feel against the skin.  My other typical alternative is a molded seamless light foam.  My favorite, best all around, is still the Amoena Marlena (#2167), a seamless soft cup with silky smooth moisture wicking fabric, that hugs the chest and yet with support for my up to size 7 forms.  

My newest forms are the ABC 1041 Ultra-Lightweight in a size 7.  The squishiness is a little less in the 1041 compared to the Lightweight 1042 but still a nice trade-off for the lighter weight.  When I asked what size would be recommended for me strictly on a proportional basis, the 7 was the choice.  While fitters from a couple of places were concerned the Ultra-Lightweight would be too lightweight and ride up, as I anticipated I have had no problems whatsoever.  According to the ABC description and I think it is true, the profile of the 1041 is probably slightly more full than the 1042.  My only ride up issues have been with foam and in particular the unweighted foam, combined with the Genie bras.

Barbara 

• mary625
    mary625 Member Posts: 154
    edited May 2012
    Options

Hi, all. The place I can go to that is participating in my insurance plan carries only Amoena and only 3 of their forms: 440 (Essential 2S), 341 (Energy Light) and 390 (NaturaLight). I was wondering if you thought I would be happy with this selection. The choice is to go there for the most benefits or somewhere else but have to file out-of-network for benefits. I really want this to go well because I've been waiting since February surgery date to heal on my prophylactic side and to get through radiation. Right now, I'm using foam and micro bead forms I bought off of the ACS TLC website.

• Erica
    edited May 2012
    Options

Those are all good forms and two of them (the Energy and the Natura Light) use the latest innovations from Amoena. Certainly worth trying them out to see what you think. The Essential is a less expensive form, but if you like it, then it's the right form for you. The Energy and Natura forms use a new technology, which Amoena calls Comfort +, which minimizes perspiration behind the form.

Another thing I'd want to know about, though, is what bras they carry. Pairing your form with the right bra can make a huge difference in comfort. If they only carry three breast forms, what bras do they have (one or two bras are also usually covered by insurance)? Worth checking out.

Good luck. Please let us know how it goes.

Barbara

• crystalphm
    edited May 2012
    Options

Does anyone use the Illusions by the Still Me company?

I also have another question about insurance. My local fitter (the only one who will honor my insurance) charges *Way* over what I see forms costing on line. perhaps as much as $100 each over what I see online, then my insurance won't pay for such a big charge, so I end up paying quite a bit of money. Blue Cross.

It just annoys me that so many people tell me I should be glad because "insurance pays for those things" but I am spending more than ever out of pocket. Is it this way for anyone else? Any thoughts?

• Erica
    edited May 2012
    Options

Yes, I use the Illusions by Still You. They are soft, non-silicone, light weight (just enough weight to hold down a bra). I'm a big fan of them. A good choice if you want something soft yet not as hot during the summer as silicone can be. That said, the shape of the forms won't work for everyone. Like so much in this breast-free life, it's a matter of experimenting.

• crystalphm
    edited May 2012
    Options

Thanks so much Barbara, I just took some time to read probably every word on Breastfree.org and found it to be amazing. I have been there before, but never from the prospective of looking to buy something. The reviews are wonderful and I feel "ready" to face the fitter in a few weeks.

I did call and order the Still Me cami, and I was fortunate enough to talk to a woman who wears them. She immediately understood what I meant when i said I can't stand anything on my sentinel node site on the one side, and I seem to have some residual "fluff a bit low on the other side. She suggested I order a size larger so I have no tightness.

She also said the Illusions can be worn swimming or even in a hot tub. So they have many uses. Why do you say the shape doesn't work for everyone? My own personal problem with forms is they seem to extend out at the bottom for fullness and then the top sort of falls into my concave self.

Someone who has alot of experience, any forms give more fullness at the top? 

I see even with mail ordering, it is going to be costly to try, with restocking fees and shipping, but I think i just have to slowly move through this and find something that I have confidence in.

• Starak
    Starak Member Posts: 311
    edited May 2012
    Options

Mary625 - I have the Amoena Natura 392 which is the asymmetrical shape but otherwise is identical to the 390 which is the symmetric shape.  I have tried on the 390.  This form does have the new comfort+ technology.  The full heat of summer has not hit here yet to fully test out that part but still it does seem better in heat than my other silicone.  The back has a gel layer, the same layer that helps to control heat, which allows it to gently and smoothly mold to the chest wall.   I personally like this form alot though because we are all different "your mileage may vary".

Let me add this bit of knowledge on Amoena forms.  You will see a number letter combo such as 2S.  Here is what that means.  The number stands for how shallow or full the fit with 1 being the most shallow, 2 average and 3 full.  Go here and then enlarge the charts and towards the bottom you will see drawings of the shallow, average and full for comparison.

http://www.metromedicalonline.com/amoena390.html

The A, S or E stands for the shape.  The A is asymmetrical which is a triangle but with the bottom being a little longer on one side to make up for missing tissue as it reaches under the arm.  The S is a standard triangle though the base of the Amoena 390 is about ½" wider than the equivalent size in an ABC 1042.  The E is used for more unusual shapes.  As I recall the Amoena Natura is a 2S which is an Average Symmetrical.

Barbara