Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

All things bras & prosthesis

Options

Comments

• brightshadow
    brightshadow Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2012
    Options

Thank you for starting this thread -- it has been very helpful to this newbie to foobies.

With the help of an excellent fitter and the advice on these boards, I was able to find the right prothesis for me. However, they are silicone (ABC), and I wanted something lighter and cooler for wearing around the house, working in the yard, etc. My first thought was to find a bra that would be lighter and less restrictive than the ones made to hold my silicone forms. I tried sports bras, including the Genie. They are ok, but they are binding and I live in a region that gets really hot in the summer.

I stumbled across this bra @ Kohl's, and was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that my foam prosthetics (from TLC) fit perfectly in the pockets (yes -- it already has pockets of a sort):

Here's the bra -- hopefully this link will work:

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/intimates/bras/shopbybrand/barelythere/PRD~622949/barely+there+CustomFlex+Fit+FullCoverage+WireFree+Bra++4546.jsp

If the link does not work, go to http://www.kohls.com/

Go to women's, then to bras. The brand is "barely there." The style is custom flex fit full coverage wire free bra, #4546.

It's currently on sale for $19.99. If you are a Kohl's customer who receives their coupons in the mail, you can get an additional 20% off. They have an excellent return policy if you get them home and find they don't work.

The "pocket" is an opening located on the side of the cup. The cups are lightly padded, and the foam can be inserted between the foam padding and the outer layer of fabric. It does create a little wrinkle in the padding, which could probably be easily fixed, if it's bothersome. It doesn't bother me.

The bras are pretty too -- they come in some nice colors. The only drawback I see so far is that the fabric snags easily and the bras probably won't last forever. So I bought a dozen-- they're certainly cheap enough. 

• beacon800
    beacon800 Member Posts: 47
    edited March 2012
    Options

Bright shadow, I use a version of this same bra and it works nicely! I get them at sears. I buy the one that has no padding (unstructured type bra) but it's double lined and I cut an opening for the foob. On this bra I use foam foobs that hold their shape. I can also put the silicon foobs in there too, though mostly I only use foam one for this bra. I bought tons of these bras! I have used them about two years and they have proved durable. I use them for sports and they are great for that as they wash up well.

• brightshadow
    brightshadow Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2012
    Options

Thanks beacon800 -- I saw the other versions of this type of bra, but it never occurred to me that I could just cut an opening for the foob. 

Looks like I'm headed back to Kohl's for more shopping!

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465
    edited March 2012
    Options

Sorry to bother you all but I am in TE and wondering if there are any swimsuits out there. Just look at the mxtmy webs? They dont have a very large selection. I found some cute danskin tops at Walmart,yu can get them with a lightweight triangle breast form in the pocket or regular with no pockets. I really like them for 24/7 wear.

• mary625
    mary625 Member Posts: 154
    edited March 2012
    Options

I second the recommendation on the Barely There bra listed above.  I found it for $16.99 at Target.  It's pretty comfortable, considering I'm just 7 weeks post BMX and in radiation.  I have never felt such soft, stretchy fabric on a bra.  I put the microfiber foobs in.  It looks really good. 

• christina1961
    christina1961 Member Posts: 450
    edited March 2012
    Options

Yesterday, first time since uniMX, I tried on bathing suits at Target.  Nothing really worked but I was glad I got past the hurdle of being in a dressing room again.  When I got home, I put on a sports bra (wish I knew what kind is it - it has a little mesh on the outer side of the cups)- but it really conceals everything very well. I have sewn a pocket in it.  It made me think that I could use something like that for a top as a "bikini" for the beach.  Then I looked online at Speedo swimsuits and it looked like several of those might work.  Has anyone tried Speedo suits - because they are athletic suits, they have much more coverage. Layla, I would think they would work great with TE.

• corgi09
    corgi09 Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2012
    Options

There is so much information here!  I hope someone can point me in the right direction.  I met with a fitter, found my sizing (had a UMX and 3 nodes in Nov) but I'm having trouble finding comfortable bra.  I'm long and the straps aren't.  This has been an issue my whole bra wearing life.  Can anyone point me in a direction/brand/style?  My fitter can/will order for me but I was wondering what worked for others. 

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,879
    edited March 2012
    Options

I need a cheap interim solution. I had umx on 2/22 and was told I could wear a bra after 5 weeks (which will be next wed). I tried on an old bra with a microbead foob and realized that I can't handle the pressure against the incision yet. I'm due to return to my volunteer job as receptionist at the senior center next week. The other side is a D, so really needs some taming. Any idea what to do until I can wear a real foob? Make one out of foam? Wad up panty hose to provide some filler? Help! Medicare will pay for 2 bras and 1 foob, so I want to save that money for the real thing.

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465
    edited March 2012
    Options

Thx everyone for the swimsuit info and BTW someone just started a swimsuit thread on here and I gotta chk out the links. I bought a sports bra like my PS told me to do and it shrank! So now I gotta go get another one in super large. I got a danskin top kind of like a sports bra on top but has longer part to it like a tankini and it has the insert triangles,I got at Walmart and it is so comfortable I slept in it the other night and you can put foobs in it or not. I got my chickn cutlets in it and it looks fine and I only had one fill on my TE. Regular suits are sometimes cut too low for the "train wreck" and the mx are so high I am not sure about wearing those. Good luck everyone with the "foundation garments".

• KittyDog
    KittyDog Member Posts: 656
    edited March 2012
    Options

You might try a lightly weighted foam boob or the non weighted one.  I use the non weighted one even through radiation and I burned really bad.  I wore it in a sports bra.  Good luck.  I even wore the that one to my Dr.'s appointment to get the drains out.

• wren44
    edited March 2012
    Options

Well, I went to the fitter and found a comfortable bra and got a lightweight silicone foob. I think it's whipped to make it lighter. I'm really looking forward to looking normal tomorrow at the reception desk.

• Starak
    Starak Member Posts: 311
    edited March 2012
    Options

Wren,  My lightweight silicone foobs have worked really well for me and I hope they will do the same for you.  Wishing you as normal a day as possible at work.

I went to Dallas last weekend to visit with a friend from Australia and get in a bit of shopping.  I bought the Amoena Valetta camisole in black.  It does have the elastic shelf bra.  With our hot summers here, I think it will work under something else at work or as a standalone tank with jeans on the weekends.  I really like the feel of the fabric.  I often wear size 12 but went to a 14 to be more forgiving as a tank and hide any imperfections.  Really looked wonderful.  I tried on the white but found it was see through enough to see the shelf bra underneath and put it back.

Here is a photo from online.

http://www.metromedicalonline.com/amoena2830.html

Barbara

• lbrewer
    lbrewer Member Posts: 96
    edited March 2012
    Options

I am so scared and this site really helps.  I am going through BC for the second time in 3 years.  THis time it is in the lymph nodes and I will require a mastectomy and radiation and possibly chemo.  then a sgap flap in Charleston.  I am overwhelmed.  Where do I go to buy mast prothesis and how do I konw what I need.  Any help wold be appreciated.

• christina1961
    edited March 2012
    Options

lbrewer,

I'm so sorry you are having to face this again. 

I had a unilateral MX and radiation.  My uniMX was last July and my radiation was over in Oct 2011.  I have considered reconstruction but am still undecided so have decided to wait until at least 7/2013. The surgeon who does your mastectomy should know some of the different places to get a prosthesis and will write you a prescription for it so insurance will cover it.  My insurance also covered six mastectomy bras. I went to a small shop - made an appointment with a fitter who fit me for the prosthesis.  I have ended up sewing pockets in some of my old bras also. When I had my mastectomy, they gave me a camisole after the surgery that had pockets for prostheses and the drains.  I wore a foam prosthesis that came with the camisole for the first month or so, and toward the end of radiation.  I didn't burn from radiation but got a little tender toward the end. I still have sensitivity where I was radiated but I don't have any problem wearing prosthesis at all.  I heartily recommend getting a good physical therapist who can help stretch your scar tissue as soon as the surgeon gives you the ok.  It has helped me so much.  Last night I was putting away dishes and reallized I didn't even feel any difference reaching with my left arm (MX side) compared to the right.

• crystalphm
    crystalphm Member Posts: 277
    edited March 2012
    Options

I just bought 2 different Barely There bras at kohls...I will have to try them on yet to see if it is going to work. I do have to say I like the fabric, and I can see where i can cut them open to slip in foobs....and sew to anchor the middle.

I feel good about myself to have taken this step to find something better... I feel more positive thanks to this forum and posts here.

Just a question, I seem to notice less discomfort when I am wearing my microfoam foobs...like it stops sensation to the incisions which creates less feeling/pain...I wonder if this makes sense?

• Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 237
    edited March 2012
    Options

crystalphm,

Just wondering, is there some reason you haven't gone to a mastectomy shop and worked with a fitter to see whether you can find silicone breast forms and/or leisure foam forms you might like? There are many nice and comfortable bras that are already pocketed. Sometimes adapting a regular (unpocketed) bra is great, but there might be one that's designed for breast forms that you would like even better. 

Do you have health insurance? If so, even very expensive silicone forms and nice mastectomy bras should be covered.

Barbara

• beacon800
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hey crystal, hope the bras work for you. If you got the unstructured cups, I like to use the foam leisure forms on those more then the microbead forms as the foam ones hold their own shape. I recommend extenders and also keep your shirt loose so it does not press the foobs too hard against your chest.

When I was at my absolute worst, I sewed up the fabric at the back of the bra cup, where it would touch my skin, so that there were no wrinkles or extra fabric back there that would irritate my skin. I really relate to your problem as I was the worst, just terrible, for 15 endless months. It wasn't the fault of the breast surgery though, just my skin so messed up on its own.

• crystalphm
    crystalphm Member Posts: 277
    edited March 2012
    Options

Erica, I have had bad experiences at the fitter, 4 times now. Each time they have trussed me up like a thanksgiving turkey, sold me painful garments, and full weight silicon foobs. My insurance pays for about 1/2rd of what they charge.

But I think what really gets to me is they tell me I have to wear size 7 or 8, and I have had a double mastectomy and I want to be a 4. They all have their Barbie figures and call me "dearie" and it is all too much. last time I went they tried to get me into a truncal lymphedema thing, and my breast surgeon flipped out over that. He got angry at the store owners, and now they are not very fond of me.

Beacon, Thank you for your kind words. I have had this barely there unformed for 3 hours, with my microform foobs and this this is all the time I can wear such a thing. I did notice quite by accident that when I tried the bra on in the store, I tried it over my thin silk cami, and it felt ok. Maybe it is a skin thing, where I cannot tolerate anything against my skin.

I wonder if I should be wearing the foobs in slowly increasing amounts of time? Maybe part of my mistake is wearing them a whole day and then not wearing them for a few days. Comments?

• wren44
    edited March 2012
    Options

Crystalphm, My skin has been really sensitive too. Any rubbing really sets it off. My BS said to massage, so I got some good lotion and do that twice a day and it has helped. If wearing it over a cami helps, I would do that. You're putting clothing over it anyway, so who's to know. I wore mine this afternoon for about 6 hrs, came home and took it off. I'm going to work up to a longer time.

• Erica
    edited March 2012
    Options

Crystal,

I'm really sorry about the experiences you've had. You should be able to be whatever size you want. It sounds as if your fitter didn't listen to you. Plus, some stores simply don't carry much stock and want to sell you what they have. Your comment about being "trussed up" is really upsetting. I don't know why fitters so often insist that bras have to be very tight and also that women need to wear overly "supportive" garments. It sounds as if your fitter suggested the old-fashioned "iron maiden" type bras for you. Ridiculous.

Given your experience, it seems that you're doing the right thing, finding inventive solutions and ways to feel comfortable. More and more I myself am opting for my unweighted foam forms in an unstructured (Still You) camisole. I like to wear silicone forms when I dress up, but for daily wear, the foam forms are the most comfortable for me. I agree with Beacon in preferring foam forms in unstructured bras over microbead forms. The foam forms usually have a nice smooth shape. The microbead forms always go flat on me and the edges are lumpy.

Barbara

• beacon800
    edited March 2012
    Options

Crystal you might have better results with the foam foobs on the unstructured bra than the microbead foobs. Reason is that the foam ones will not get as pushed back towards your chest as the micro bead foobs. The micro bead ones are awesome in a structured bra (meaning molded cup) such as the Warners Elements of Bliss microfiber bras. The structured cup will not push back the micro bead forms towards your chest. If you have any foams, try them out and see how you feel.

It's a good idea about wearing the cami under the bra. I did that too very early on. Used a soft knit tank top and the bra went over it. I forgot all about it til you mentioned your technique. Man, those were the days. Blahhhhh.

My fitter was a laugh too. She totally didn't understand me. She taught the bras she showed me were soft, hahaha! She thought they should be tight, she though the foobs should be big and silicone. She was useless to me!

Things will improve for you, just keep trying. Maybe you can take some Tylenol or other pain relief while you are first wearing your bras. Hang in there!

• christina1961
    edited March 2012
    Options

Crystal, my sister has the same sensitivity issues. She can only wear cotton clothing also, no synthetics but she had sensitivity to fabric before breast cancer.  My radiation was over in October and my former breast area is still sensitive to the touch but bras and prosthesis does not bother it.  When I have been able to tolerate it, I have taken ibuprofen throughout the day and noticed by about day 3 that a lot of the soreness is gone.  I think my cartilage got inflamed from the radiation.  Unfortunately, ibuprofen eventually causes me to have mouth sores so I have to stop taking it, but if you can tolerate it you might try it.

• FLwarrior
    FLwarrior Member Posts: 614
    edited March 2012
    Options

I went to a fitter and had the same problem as Crystal.  They sold me something that "strangles" me.  The fitter and shop manager insisted that the bra needed to fit snug.  I kept telling them that it was too tight.  They told me that I was probably still a little swollen from sx and the swelling would reduce and the bra would fit fine. This has not come true. As a matter of fact the bra digs in and leaves a big indention, which makes me worry about it causing LE.  I had to quit wearing it. I do not have any expanders.  Where do you buy these and how expensive are they?

I was able to get a bra from a donation closet that fits, but my forms are really not big enough for this bra....sigh... I have another bra that I got from Marybeth (Thank you, Marybeth) which fits, but would also look better with bigger forms.    I do not have insurance, so I am very limited in my options. 

I went to a mx boutique to try the microbead forms, but I found them to be very painful and also lumpy looking, so I did not buy them. This is all SO frustrating. 

Starak, I saw the tank you bought in Dallas at a boutique here and it is very nice.  Do you wear silicon forms with it or are they too heavy?  I am loosing my job, my location is closing on Monday.  As soon as I find a new job, I think I will celebrate by buying myself one of these nice tanks.

In the time being, I have a couple inexpensive tanks with the shelf bra that I am going to try and devise a pocket to hold a form.  Has anyone tried this?  Did it work? Any tips for me? Thanks.

• Erica
    edited March 2012
    Options

FLwarrior,

When you say expanders, do you mean bra extenders? These are inexpensive and attach to your bra hooks to make the bra band fit less snugly. Here's an example of them: bra extenders. I've found that some hooks are set more narrowly apart than others, so the bra extenders that work with my mastectomy bras don't work with my little unpocketed Maidenform bralettes. So you might want to bring your bra with you when shopping for these. For the non-mastectomy bra extenders, I would think any lingerie shop would carry them, as well as places like Target, Walmart, etc. 

• Starak
    edited March 2012
    Options

FLWarrior:  Try your local American Cancer Society.  My local chapter has alot of donated items and I imagine they will likely just give you a bra that fits your forms. 

Personally I feel that even my lightweight size 4 silicone is too heavy for the camisole so I only use foam with it.  As someone said "your mileage may vary".

Barbara

• Starak
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hi All - Regarding form shapes triangular vs teardrop vs asymmetrical.  Seems triangular are the more common, at least locally in my part of the world.  I know shapes are part of the fitting process, just curious about those who have had more than one shape and their thoughts on the subject.  Seems on some level, that wearing a teardrop with the narrow part pointing under the arm might be somewhat similar to the asymmetrics.

Anyway, what are your experiences and what do you think?

Barbara

• kt1966
    kt1966 Member Posts: 1,021
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hi Barbara,

I've had both (as you prob remember) and I have to say I do like my new teardrop shaped energy light. It seems to be less 'clingy' and does breathe better.

As for the shape, depending on the bra or my mood I can wear it with the narrow part pointing up or pointing towards the armpit...and it looks fine either way.

My old form was symmetrical and somehow towards the end of me wearing it I used to feel claustrophobic- weird!

Its good to try different ones, but gets expensive to keep swapping! And you never really get a proper feel for them in the store. But maybe having a couple of different ones is good so you can alternate according to your mood...

Hope that helpsSmile 

• Erica
    edited April 2012
    Options

I wear my teardrop-shaped Energy forms two different ways, either with the narrow part pointing up or with the narrow part toward the center of my chest, but never with the narrow part pointing under my arm. If I try it that way, it makes the forms appear much too close together in the middle and with not enough bulk toward the outer part of my chest.

I think that even worn the way you describe, teardrop forms are different from asymmetrical forms in that the part of the teardrop form that then sits at the top doesn't taper the way an asymmetrical is designed to do. With the teardrop, when I wear the narrow part at the top it tapers gently to my chest wall. With the round part on top, there's a bit of a step-off and a youthful fullness. It depends on the particular bra and/or top I'm wearing which of these positions works best.

I hope you can picture what I'm describing. Probably the best way to see what works for you would be to try some teardrop forms.

I should add that shortly after my surgery, the first time I tried breast forms, the fitter suggested asymmetricals for me, but with the narrow part toward the middle (the same way I now wear my teardrop forms). She said that's not typical, but apparently for me it's what worked best. Though I wound up choosing symmetrical forms that time, I appeciated her thinking creatively.

• pteney
    pteney Member Posts: 30
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hi, i'll chime in my thoughts.  I had a uni-mast 7 yrs ago and finally just got the other 'good' boob removed.  Am wondering why i waited so long!  I am 'fluffy' and had a bigger foob before and now i have the triangle Amoena style 132.  Interesting to find that i needed a bigger foob on the cancer side (more tissue gone) and I hadn't thought about it, so i'm glad i got fitted (tho she did tell me to start saving money for a set of heavy silicone foobs - still saying i'll get 'dropped shoulder' ... i said i'll keep it in mind (not, lol).  Am a 'C' on cancer side and a 'B' on the new side.  I got those 3 pack cotton sports bras at Walmart that have a liner in the front and cut by the armpit on the liner to form pockets.  Am so happy they seem to work fine for now.  Am waiting for some front-hook bras to add a pocket in to arrive in the mail.  Thanks so much for all the chatter on this subject - it really helped and will use all you helpful advice for future purchases.  Got the path report on the prophy mx and am pleased not a hint of cancer there or in the SNB.  Woo Hoo. Plus had another stable CT scan a couple weeks ago, am trying to exhale and enjoy the news! 

Hugs to all, Patti

• Erica
    edited April 2012
    Options

Patti,

Glad you didn't take seriously that you'd get dropped shoulder without heavier breast forms. I imagine your fitter meant well, but that's just incorrect when you've had both breasts removed, as you probably know. Enjoy your new bilateral symmetry. That's fantastic news about your stable scan. Congrats!!

Barbara