Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

All things bras & prosthesis

Options

Comments

• Starak
    Starak Member Posts: 311
    edited April 2012
    Options

Interesting Barbara.  It sounds as if my interest in asymmetrics may be for the same reason as you but worn in the opposite direction to attain it.  I have extremely broad shoulders and a pretty strikingly small chest in comparison.  Even though fitters are happy, my eye is too often thinking the forms are too close together and I am seemingly always wanting more fullness on the outside to better balance the chest to the width of the shoulders.  Perhaps as a holdover body image from my former gigantic girls, I look for a smooth transition from the outer edge of the foob into the side of my body.  My Amoena Natura comfort+ 392 asymmetrics give me that.  Just for fun I did try them on opposite side, which was not successful.  However quite by accident, I not only put one on the opposite side but then turned it 90° so that the top of the triangle pointed to the outside and the longer side was going up.  It actually looked pretty good.

Confession time - teardrop shapes as an art form shape are something I dislike so I think I have been biased against them.  As time has gone on, I have tried to broaden my outlook on forms and bras and retry some things I have dismissed with fresh eyes.  

The few times I have asked to try on teardrop shapes, the store said they could be ordered but they didn't stock them or have any to try on.

I have only tried on one teardrop which was at my local ACS office.  It was a Nearly You standard weight silicone that actually looked really good in either direction.  In spite of the fact that I still much prefer my silicone forms over foam I will NEVER!!!! wear standard weight silicone.  My local ACS office has been very kind to let me come in and look at a few things that I was interested in purchasing online but wanted to see it, touch it, feel it before doing so.  Sometimes they have had what I wanted to see and sometimes not.  Their fitter is the one who had me try on the Nearly You teardrop.

KT1966 - I do now have a couple of different forms and I do like to alternate them depending on my mood or what works best with a specific outfit.

Pteney:  Congratulations on a clear path report and stable CT scan. Smile  The fitter at the ACS office said that even with BMX, they rarely see people who need a matched pair, so your experience may not be that unusual.  I have the opposite situation in that it is the proph side that has more tissue removed though not enough difference to require a different size foob.

With the heat of summer coming soon, perhaps I will order something in teardrop foam to inexpensively try out the shape.  Any thoughts on which one to try and sizing?  My bras are 36B and 36C and would want a teardrop foam form to fit in my current bras.

Barbara

• nagem
    nagem Member Posts: 46
    edited April 2012
    Options

For those who like Coobie-type bras, Kmart now carries a style of Joe Boxer sports bras that are very much like Coobies one-size-fits-all bras, only with sizing, so if you like your undergarments loose, as I do, you can get a larger size so it doesn't bind. Removable modesty panels can be replaced with breast forms. They have adjustable straps. I bought three today for about $10 each. I'm hoping they won't rub me the wrong way as so many bras do.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited April 2012
    Options

The dropped shoulder business just cracks me up. I looked in the mirror the other day and realized that my shoulders are straighter and stronger post-BMX, because I do my upper body stretches and stuff every day.

• regenschirm
    regenschirm Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2012
    Options

@wren: "knitted knockers" might be a good intermediate solution for you. I wrote to the address on the website and they sent me a pair. You can add extra weight by adding a stone. This worked better than the original leisure form that came with my post surgical cami.

http://theknittingexperience.com/knitted_knockers_program/

I went to a fitter this past week and ended up returning the forms (too heavy and too painful against my chestwall). This thread is fabulous. Feeling much Better about the optiions ( and realizing that 3 months post surgery is still pretty early-- and just 3 weeks out from completing radiation.

• Starak
    edited April 2012
    Options

Regenschirm - Not that it matters, but just plain curiosity as to what the fitter put you in, brand, style, size and standard or lightweight if you know.

I hear a number of women like microbead foobs.  I think there is a link on how to make them on Breastfree.org.

I sometimes wonder if the Amoena PurFit would be another good in-between fit for some people even though I have only heard of one or two people who actually have them. 

http://www.amoena.com/us/Products/Breastforms/purfit/

I tried them on (did not purchase them) as a very light form with a natural look and feel that retained its shape.  I found them to be very comfortable and thought the adjustability would be a big plus for those who need it.  

Barbara

• Starak
    edited April 2012
    Options

I have to give a big thumbs up to Breastfree.org.  Having plunged into the world of wearing foobs, I have become a bit obsessed with trying things out.  I have tried things out because of the reviews on Breastfree and some favorites that I found independently, I later realized were right there on Breastfree.  Barbara of Breastfree, if you see this, Thank You!!!  Not sure I want to admit to how much I have acquired....

Barbara

• IndigoMont11
    IndigoMont11 Member Posts: 42
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hello all! Very interesting thread.

I am nearly 6 weeks from my BMX, was told at that point I should be able to be fitted with prosthetics, and have my Nordstrom's letter.

However.... I am thinking now it might be a better idea to wait. I am mostly well healed from the surgery but my sides are still sore where the drains were (hard to sleep on them - but I don't need pain reliever otherwise). I am into nadir after chemo so a little hesitant about hanging out at a big shopping mall. And.... in a couple of more weeks, right before tx #2, I am getting my port.

So the better thing to do might be to wait until I can see where the port is - it makes sense not to wear a bra that would rub on it. What do you think?

• nwest125
    nwest125 Member Posts: 69
    edited April 2012
    Options

I couldn't wear my forms for about 6 months and feel somewhat comfortable, than it was summer so there were too hot to wear, so this summer I have it covered I bought some form forms,. I like my  silicone ones best but they are to hot for the summer. Then I got my coobie bras so I think I have all bases covered.

Nancy

• Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 237
    edited April 2012
    Options

Barbara,

Thanks so much for your shoutout. Smile  I'm really glad you found the reviews on BreastFree.org helpful. I too have become a bit addicted to trying out new breast forms. Right now, I'm overdue for insurance-covered forms and was thinking about trying the PurFit. I know Amoena intends it for women undergoing implant reconstruction, to be used during the expansion phase. But that doesn't mean it couldn't work as an ultra-light, yet lifelike regular breast form. You say you tried the PurFit on and found it comfortable. What made you decide not to purchase it?

On the non-silicone side, I'm not sure if I've already mentioned this on this thread, but I'm looking forward to trying the just-introduced ABC First Form, Style 926, which is weighted. I like the unweighted 916 version, so hope the weighted one will be wearable in bras that might ride up without any weight.  

IndigoMont11,

From what you describe, I think waiting might be a great idea. Let yourself heal a little more and avoid the mall for now. I definitely agree that waiting until after you get your port is a good plan. I've heard a number of women complain about their bras causing irritation to the port. Hopefully, once you've had it placed, you'll be able to find a bra that's comfortable. 

FWIW, my favorite comfort combo is the Still You camisole worn with ABC First Forms, Style 916. Together, they are so soft and light, I barely feel as if I have anything on. Though the camisole isn't cheap, I still wear the ones I bought over five years ago and have washed them many, many times. They are still in excellent condition.

Barbara

• IndigoMont11
    IndigoMont11 Member Posts: 42
    edited April 2012
    Options

Thanks much, hopefully, I'll be able to do it before we celebrate my birthday on 6/11, but I imagine I will.

• regenschirm
    edited April 2012
    Options

Forms were basic, triangle shaped (what insurance would allow vs upgrade). Trulife beautifully yours natural triangle size 6. The bra I am not so comfortable in is the fancy amoena mona softcup((38a).

I have not yet worn them but I also got a pair of anita active ocean swim forms size 6. The seem heavy to me.

I did ok today with the liesure bra (amoena frances soft cup medium a/b) and trulife tri-leisure form. I am not sure what to do at this point. Fitter was recommending i get scanned for the fancy custom kind. I am going to wait at this point. The lightweight leisure forms are working well enough for the moment

• Starak
    edited May 2012
    Options

Barbara - Regarding the PurFit, my decision not to buy them had a lot to do with a cost to benefit ratio as I don't really need the flexibility that being able to add or remove the fiberfill offers and as I recall these are as expensive as full silicone. I tend to prefer silicone over the alternatives and so when paying that much money, I leaned toward the all silicone.  I ended up purchasing the Amoena Natura 392 asym (same as 390 symmetrical).  It is a lightweight with a flowable back and the comfort + technology that is supposed to reduce heat buildup.  That all said, I really did like the look and feel of the PurFit.   

I would not be surprised at all that you might really like the PurFit.  I keep thinking they might be a really good alternative for many more women than just those going through reconstruction.  Hopefully you will have a chance to try them on. I would love to know what you think, whether or not you decide if they are for you.  I am suspicious that they are not even being offered as an option and that a woman would have to specifically ask if they have them and can she try them on.  That is what I have had to do with a number of things.

Barbara

• crystalphm
    crystalphm Member Posts: 277
    edited May 2012
    Options

First of all, I am still here :-) reading every post.

I have made some progress thanks to all your wonderful suggestions. I have found a cami in TLC's catalog that I buy in extra large (I measure 37 inches) and I sew/tuck the top a bit so it doesn't gape...and use microboob foobs and I can tolerate them all day with no soreness at all!

I am thrilled!!!!!!Under a non-snug blouse, it is a good look for me!

I do continue to massage my scars to desensitize, which i think was huge in my recovery and getting to this point.

For anyone wearing the PurFit, do you think this could be worn in a cami? I still have such trouble with any tightness (bra) at my node site. I keep thinking silicon would offer more protection, I bumped myself on wire at work and I saw stars last weekend...it hit right on a little mound of flesh i have in the center of my chest, it is still sore.

I SO much appreciate every post here!!!!And a special thank you for everyone who is helping me along this journey!

• river_rat
    river_rat Member Posts: 317
    edited May 2012
    Options

Crystalphm, I just wanted to step in and say  Yay! I'm so happy that you've found something that's working for you and doesn't hurt.

• Starak
    edited May 2012
    Options

Regenschirm:  I was not able to find the "Trulife beautifully yours natural" form online so not quite sure what it is.  Do you think it is a lightweight? 

Interesting that a custom is being recommended and so soon after finishing treatment.  Do you know why and does it seem to you as if it would actually be helpful?   

Crystalphm:  I have to agree with River_Rat,  I am sooooo happy you have found something that is working for you and doesn't hurt. 

Barbara

• barbiecorn
    barbiecorn Member Posts: 86
    edited May 2012
    Options

I use the Trulife BodiCool Triangle No. 00490-09 - they look so real and feel pretty good but I think the camisoles with the soft foobs in them feel the best....I reserve wearing the Trulife for special occasions and weekends but tend to wear the soft ones to work...the area is still so tender - can't wear the Trulife every single day but they are really nice and so natural looking.  I am going to check out some of your suggestions on comfort...Thank you all...Barbie

• regenschirm
    edited May 2012
    Options

I am inclining away from doing the custom ones right now.  I think it is early.   I am actually having skin effects on my back (where the radiation went all the way through).  Just going to be patient.   My weight is also changing as I get more active.   

The lightweights are the trulife tri-leisure form style 611.    

Regarding the silicone, those were not so lightweight.   Just a basic triangle (no "upgrade").  

I am really not in a rush for the custom ones.  Would hate if I did it and then didn't wear them.   

I do have swimforms (anita active ocean 1082X size 6).  I can't see exercising in those but they do look nice in the tankini I got).

There seems to be a disconnect between what I say I want size wise and what is considered "proportional". 

• Mardibra
    Mardibra Member Posts: 194
    edited May 2012
    Options

Recently had my fitting for a mastectomy bra (ugly) and also ordered a silicone breast form. How soon after your MX were you able to comfortably wear your breast forms? I had a UMX on 4/13 and I'm scheduled to go back to work on 5/14. Doable?

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,879
    edited May 2012
    Options

Mardibra, I had UMX on 2/22 and still have a problem wearing a bra/foob all day. I would suggest having a lightweight foob (microbead or foam) to wear alternating with the silicone. I ordered my microbead foob online but got too large a size, so I'm making my own in a smaller size. I also sewed pockets into bras I already owned. The website mastectomy solutions.com has good instructions. Unfortunately the remaining side is too large to just wear a camisole. That would be really comfortable. My discomfort is more from where the bra hits my incision than from the foob.

• barbiecorn
    edited May 2012
    Options

Regenschirm - I sent you a PM - thanks -

• Mardibra
    edited May 2012
    Options

Thanks Wren!

• beacon800
    beacon800 Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2012
    Options

How do I love this website!  Thank you ladies for your brilliant ideas. 

I watched the video on the PurFit that Starak posted.  To me that PurFit looked like a combo of a swim form plus some poofs.  I did a substitute using things I have:  Amoena Swim form plus microbead foob.  Wow!  A fun alternative look.

I took the swimform, placed the micro bead form behind it and placed those in my bra.  Very perky look, very sexy!  For the sake of scientific observation, I weighed these against the Amoena 390 size 4 silicone forms I have. 

The swimform plus micro bead weighed 104 grams.  The all silicone form weighed 187 grams. For some of us, the difference in weight is a key point so I found the difference interesting.

In my case, the swimform is a size 0, from when I was using very small forms, and the micro foob is a size 3.  However when these two were put together they filled out my bra more than the size 4 silicone and definitely more projection in the top half of the bra cup.  In fact, it could almost have used a slightly bigger bra cup, so a little of this combo goes a long way.

Love experimenting and I think I will definitely wear this combo.  It looks good!

• barbiecorn
    edited May 2012
    Options

I am confused about the sizing...for a trulife tri-leasure form Style 611....I am a size 40C prosthetic...Should it be size 6,7,8 - I tried using the chart but find them very confusing???

• CLC
    CLC Member Posts: 615
    edited May 2012
    Options

Mardibra...I didn't get a silicone prosthetic until 6 weeks out from surgery and then it was very sore at the end of the day...  In NY, you aren't allowed to get a prescription for the prosthetic until 6 weeks out (well, that is what I was told...I am not sure how reliable that is)...  I would recommend holding off on the silicone for a while...

• Mardibra
    edited May 2012
    Options

Oh boy....no silicone for a while? Now that is going to be a problem. BC sucks!

• CLC
    CLC Member Posts: 615
    edited May 2012
    Options

mardibra...  I used the lightweight fiberfill form with shirts, vests and scarves that camouflaged me for the two or so weeks until I could take the silicone.  I was stunned at how no one noticed...ever.  I now go out flat on one side (not to work, but to the store) and rarely does anyone notice that.  So, the camouflage and a lightweight are totally do-able.  (Also, I should have said that I was matching a size D breast, so my silicones might be heavier than yours...)

• Mardibra
    edited May 2012
    Options

Nope, my righty is a D. I guess I need to get some scarves.

• Starak
    edited May 2012
    Options

Barbiecorn:  I read the chart on the Metro website to say size 11 for a 40C bra for this particular #611 form.  Might be tempted to call Customer Service for verification.  I have found on this journey that there are off the charts differences in sizing between some companies so you really do need to look at the sizing charts for a specific item.  My other observation that has been verified by others including fitters is that in general foam is likely to come off with a bit more projection than silicone in the same size.

Barbara

• Starak
    edited May 2012
    Options

Regenschirm: 

"There seems to be a disconnect between what I say I want size wise and what is considered "proportional" 

Not at all surprised by that.  Size is not just a physical proportional thing but also an intellectual and emotional one, all of which may well change over time.  Fitting, in my mind, needs to address all of those factors.   I have over time on my own, gotten to the "proportional" size.  However, if I had allowed myself to be shoved into that size in the beginning, it would have been an unmitigated disaster, which either would have ended with me running out of the store or back to going flat all the time with the forms gathering dust on the shelf in the back of the closet.  20 months of flat to a size 7 overnight would have been way too much to take in.  I have literally gone from a 3 to a 7 (the proportional size) over the last 5 mos.  The 3 went away in the first 24 hours.  Seems I have just confessed to what I now have.....  I actually wear all of my sizes from 4 to 7 based on the outfit or my mood on any given day.  As we all know some clothes make the "girls" seem more prominent than others.  So by adjusting the size of the foobs to the outfit, I actually may have less difference in the look of the size from day to day than natural, as odd as that might sound. 

FWIW, as much as 7 is actually the most proportional size, if I were forced to choose only one size it would likely be the 4 or 5.  I am probably to this day emotionally still pushing back to the prior 40M (that were actually likely 40N or 40"O") that I hated with a passion.

Having a BMX, it has left my options wide open and so I have been having fun experimenting knowing none of it is at all permanent.

Barbara

• Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 237
    edited May 2012
    Options

Hi Beacon800,

Using microbeads plus silicone is such a creative idea. I have a pair of old silicone swim forms I never wear and I also have a pair of microbead forms I don't wear much, either. I'll have to put them together and see how they feel. Thanks!