Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

All things bras & prosthesis

Options

Comments

• crystalphm
    crystalphm Member Posts: 277
    edited January 2012
    Options

I agree with my body needing feedback, my hand on my "DDB" (dearly departed breasts LOL) calms me and can even ease discomfort.

I never was a cami girl, but now I am, and I want them in silk! I still am not wearing foobs, but I expect this will change when the weather gets warmer and I want to wear tank tops and such.

I have to say I am pretty interested in those stick-ons, I would just get little stick ons that would not be nearly as big as the size 7's that i lost, but my doctor feels there should be at least a year before trying those out. I would probably see if 3's fit and looked ok.

There is so much to learn, I often feel overwhelmed. Size? Shape? Thickness? perkiness? (I was reading a different thread where someone said the foobs were droopy, and now I am thinking they do look a little saggy...)

The memory foam intrigues me.

Well, I am glad to have your help and be able to talk about it here.

• Starak
    Starak Member Posts: 311
    edited January 2012
    Options

DDB - That cracks me up. LOL

Metro Medical Online is a favorite website for me to just look because they seem to have good descriptions, and usually with the Amoena and ABC forms, when you enlarge the picture, there is also a chart that includes the fit between Shallow, Average and Full.  With the Amoena, they actually show a drawing of each on their charts.  Essentially besides projection the difference seems to be a lot about the fullness in the upper section.  As I see it looking at the drawings, the shallow are more droopy looking and the Full as it says more full in the upper section.  With other brands there is often a description of the profile. 

With Amoena when you see 1S, 2A, or 3S, the numbers are 1=Shallow, 2=Average, 3=Full

The letters S and A have to do with the shape. S= Symmetrical, A=Asymmetrical

ABC includes the Shallow/Average/Full in the chart.

FWIW, "I" would describe the foam forms from TLCDirect to be Average/Full or Full and quite perky. There is a link to this form in my initial post.

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that you should wait at least 6 months before considering contact forms.  Could be that your doctor feels that will not be enough time for you.  Only because you have said how uncomfortable the silicone forms are on you, I would think silicone contact forms would only make it much worse.  I am guessing only as I have flatly refused to even try one on.

I am with you that the memory foam intrigues me.  Much more expensive than some of the other foam alternatives.  I didn't like memory foam pillows in the beginning and now they are ones I sleep on.

You might remember I initially had ABC 1042 size 3 forms for 1 day and traded them in for the same thing in size 4. As I recall the size 4 is about a ¼" bigger all the way around than the 3.  Something to consider is the larger you go up in band, the smaller the cup size for a certain form.  In my case, being a 36, a size 3 is a AA cup.  If I happened to be a 38, a 3 would be off the charts.  It is hard enough to find a AA nevermind anything smaller in a standard bra.  There are ways to get around it but the inconvenience factor when going to a really small form is something to consider.  I already know how I plan to get around the problem with my Sam's sports bras for summer casual use.

Barbara

• snorfia
    snorfia Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2012
    Options

What  a great source of information!  I'm having trouble sorting through it all.  I have bras and a prosthesis that fit decently, but I don't wear them except when I'm going out due to lymphedema in my side and back.  I can tolerate them only so long, even though they look good.  Usually I wear a slimmer camisole by wearease, and the silicone prosthesis is way too heavy for it.  So I've been wearing my surgical puff.  It's starting to get compacted, and I really need to replace it.  Any suggestions for a lightweight foob I can wear for everyday?  My silicone one is a Nearly Me asymmetrical triangle size 6 (although I think a size 5 might match the other side better.)

• Starak
    edited January 2012
    Options

Snorfia - Have you checked out the form reviews on Breastfree.org?  I think one of the best parts about Breastfree is that by the time something makes it way there, there has been a lot of feedback.

http://www.breastfree.org/viewer.php?num=42

Pay particular attention to the non-silicone options which will be lighter than anything in silicone. 

I will add a couple of others that are not on Breastfree but then also do not have the same feedback that went into the forms on Breastfree.  TLCDirect.org, a site related to the American Cancer Society, has a number of lightweight forms available.  I have seen comments by others that they have and like the microbeads from this site.  The only form I have personal experience with is the Weighted Asymmetrical Molded Foam form.  As I mention in the lead in post, "weighted" in that form in size 4 is 4.5 oz.  All the weighted forms also come unweighted. Perhaps because foam is more firm than silicone, I found that wearing the size 4 form in foam was more like a size 5 in silicone in that it had more projection and just presence.

http://www.tlcdirect.org/subcategory/dept-34__show-all.html

Something that caught my eye for you was the Adjustable Triangle Featherweight Foam form which has foam to maintain a shape and has fiberfill in the back, that you can put in or take out as needed.  You mention needing to match the other side and I thought that might be a useful feature in that respect as well.  I have ZERO personal experience with this form and really haven't seen it discussed elsewhere.  Still it is really cheap and seemed like it might be a nice transition from the puff you are accustomed to.  If you thought you might want to try it, do read the return policy but it seemed pretty liberal to me.  I have purchased twice from TLCDirect and was very happy with both transactions though I have not had to return anything. 

http://www.tlcdirect.org/products/product.aspx?sku=7682A

Anyone out there reading this, if you know anything at all, good, bad or indifferent, about this form or other possibilities for Snorfia, please please please speak up.

Barbara

• KittyDog
    KittyDog Member Posts: 656
    edited January 2012
    Options

It has been almost two years since my surgery and I still don't have a good bra nor a foob.  I    found a new fitter recently and  tried on some bras and foobs Friday.  I am a 42D and the bra is one that is sold by TLC but without the cami.  I am not sure of the style number but it was sure more comfy that the one I ordered out of frustration.  I am going with an Amoena.  We are thinking about this new one that I don't see on the breastfree. I had been using a weighted fiber foam by Truelife.  They do not hold up very long...maybe 6 months and they started collapsing around the bottom. 

http://www.amoena.com/us/Products/Breastforms/purfit/ 

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    edited January 2012
    Options

i agree with starak.. i have the tlc fiberfill from tlc, and i love it!!!it has a foam front, and little "nubby" things that hold it in place.. i have two. i made one bigger, for my "fat' days.. raises my shirt over my belly; and another one on days i just don't care.. they're totally adjustabler, dep on how much fiberfill you use.. and you can "refresh the fiberfill asnytine, though i've never found the need.

i have a quesrion for you gals.. anyone know a pattern, or aa way to make straps to out on a baandue bra?? it won't stey uo, and i need ro use it , case the friggen dr. put the port right where reg brastraps go!!!i've bewen buying camis', and cutting the straps off, adding them to the btas.. can't figure out how the straps work   duh!!

thanks....3jays

• Starak
    edited January 2012
    Options

Kittydog:  Funny I tried on the Amoena Purfit form just yesterday.  While it was not a form for me due to cost, it really did impress me as a good possible solution for a number of different issues that many of you live with everyday due to the light weight and ability to fine tune.  I really liked the feel of it alot.  Tell us more about your new form and bra when they arrive.

3jaymom:  Thank you for responding about the TLC form.  I only wish I had something to offer to help you with your strap problems but I don't.  Hopefully someone else will.

Barbara

• KittyDog
    KittyDog Member Posts: 656
    edited January 2012
    Options

3jaysmom

Here is something on how to make your own staps.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5243032_make-own-bra-straps.html

Have you tried buying these straps?

http://www.target.com/p/Beautiful-You-Bra-Straps-Clear/-/A-10520085 

• nwest125
    nwest125 Member Posts: 69
    edited January 2012
    Options

I love the ABC T-Shirt  Bra #114 very comfortable, I didn't like the mircobead forms at all,  they didn't hold their shape ,I felt like I had1 big boob by the end of my work day :)

Nancy

• Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 237
    edited January 2012
    Options

Hi Kitty Dog,

The PurFit, I think, is a relatively new form, I think. I've seen it on the Amoena website but I haven't tried it, nor have I heard from anyone else who has, until your post. It seems as if it might really help women with lymphedema, who need very lightweight forms but want the look and feel of silicone. Please let me know what you think after you've used it for a while, if you decide to buy it. I think I'll check it out myself next time I have a chance to visit a fitter.

Barbara

• crystalphm
    edited January 2012
    Options

I would love to know more about the t-shirts you can wear foobs with, they are expensive so I have not purchased one, but it looks like a good idea. Red Threads makes one and I would love to know more before I buy one...

What I am looking for is a snug t shirt where I can wear small foobs, like size 4 in a lightweight foam...I do not want a bra you have to hook on the inside of this, because then it complicates lymphedema issues. No wires, just a pocket sort of insert for the foobs  is what I am looking for.

Also, where do I find a memoryfoam foob?

One thing I have found are a good quality of faux fur for a scarf...and it sort of just covers where I have no breasts. When I work, I work very long hours and can't tolerate breasts, bra or anything tight...so this winter, it seems to be a perfect solution.

• snorfia
    edited January 2012
    Options

Thanks, all, for the suggestions.  It is nice having some place to start.  Cheap is good, as we have no insurance.  Liberal return policies are also good!

• CLC
    CLC Member Posts: 615
    edited January 2012
    Options

Hey all...quick question for you. 

Do you think I will mess up the shape of my silicone amoena prosthetic if I use it in an underwire bra with a pocket sewn in?  I have to kind of squish it in there to get it to fit.  I am asking because the amoena instructions say to be sure to store the prosthetic in the cradle in order to protect its shape and the mastectomy bra is so much roomier for the form than my handmade one.

Any thoughts, anyone????

• 3jaysmom
    edited January 2012
    Options

snorfia: a REALLY cheap, and good swim form i use isnt a swim form ar all.. i go to the $store, buy the little pink scrubbies they have, sew them in the shape i like (they come in 2 sizes) and then, i put "nipple covers from my other bras over them.. i confess, when its really hot here in fla, i use them for foobs, too...

if you can sew, there;s a thread here, at bco ; that shows you how to make micro bead foobs.. too.. they're good..

i went to target this wkend, and their camis, WITH a shelf bra,, comes in many colors, and is 8.00 i don't wear bras either, cause of the port... i got them in 5 colors, and made foobs for each of them.. hand sewing still, not on the machine yet, bc of neuropathy...i juthe shelf, leave ahole to insert the foob, and good to go!!!

thanks for the links, Kittydog.. i HAVE those straps, but dont know how to attatch them to the camis' i think the first linky will help.Thanks!!!i'll letcha know how it goes...

im going to venture into "real foobs" again.. my ins covers them 100%so, im gonna try. the first set were too heavy, and hot for so fla.. gonna look into the oure fit, after i get my le gloves done, then its time to the other fitter for foobs.. they cover bras, too, but i hate them.. we'll see if she has some nice camis, though..............3jaysst sew in

• 3jaysmom
    edited January 2012
    Options
    don't know how to do the "linkys" but the thread is "how to make a micro bead form" by Linda Lou.. they're really easy..3jays
  • Starak
    edited January 2012
    Options

Snorfia:  Have you been in to your local chapter of the American Cancer Society?  My chapter has a fitter. They will often just give you what you need and even though they will ask you to fill out a form, you don't have to prove need.  At the very minimum I found it really helpful to ask if they had certain forms just to see, try on, touch and feel, so if and when I did order online, I would know up front if they would work for me or not.  Due to a very high deductible, all of this stuff is totally out of pocket in my world.

Barbara

• Starak
    edited January 2012
    Options

The memory foam form is the ABC First Form - 916 reviewed on the Breastfree.org Breast Forms page.  It intrigues me alot though I have never seen it in person.

Here is the same form on a retail site. 

http://www.metromedicalonline.com/abc916.html

I have seen it on other retail sites as well.  It pays to shop around, not only for price, but for shipping costs and return policy. 

• snorfia
    edited January 2012
    Options

I have a friend who has been to an ACS around here.  I'll see if she can go with me.  I do know how to sew, and maybe that's the route to take.  Thanks for all the tips.

• MamaTaz
    MamaTaz Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2012
    Options

Hi, I'm new to this site.  I had a bilateral mastectomy 1 yr ago and almost immediately experienced neurapathy.....painful 2nd degree sunburn-like feeling to my skin, sharp needles & pins.  Could not stand ANYTHING to touch my skin, except my hand.  If living in Wyoming weren't so darn cold, I would've gone topless!  Finally made a loop out of a coat hangar to slip under a t-shirt to move the shirt away from my skin. The neuropathy is somewhat better, pressure against the skin helps, but it is not completely gone.  I have tried cotton and silk t's but none feel comfortable on their own against my skin.  Lyrica made my brain loopy like I was on an alcohol or drug high.  Can't take it.   I am trying prosthetics but am finding nothing that is comfortable.  Anyone else in this same boat?  

• 3jaysmom
    edited January 2012
    Options

Mama Taz: i have neuropathy, but not THERE!! as a matter of fact, its  all dead. im so sorry you have to go thru thids.. go topless, sweetie, if thats what feels best..

starak: thanks for putting up the linkys.. acs also helped me with my first "foobs.. too heavy for me, but they tried.. also gave me a blonde wig, which i gave away.. i needed red!!!!

they really are very generous, so DO go, i also got some nice nities, masectomy, that are beautiful, and very $$$so, im grateful!.3jays

• Starak
    edited January 2012
    Options

MamaTaz:  I feel so sorry for what you are going through.  I wish there was some way we could just reach out and make it go away.

I have had nerve "issues" on the right though not at all the same sensations as yours.  Mine was more like having a mammogram, they do the squish and then the tech leaves for the day with you still squished in the machine.  I would start grabbing my clothes away from my chest or holding my hand against it trying to calm the sensation.  I am sure there were times other people might have thought I was some kind of pervert. I warned people at work so they knew what was going on but I sure there were times in the car, when other drivers really had to wonder. Time has helped, I think The Mutant removal surgery managed to release a critical piece of scar tissue, and recently wearing the foobs seemed to help with the sensation on most days.  Yesterday, for some odd reason, it was back.  Not sure what I will be wearing or not wearing today.

I never pursued it but I have heard it suggested on BCO that a really good massage therapist who is experienced with bc issues might be able to help.  If I understood correctly, the idea is to gently release some of the scar tissue and that might bring some relief.

CLC:  I have been warned so many times about being very gentle and ultra careful with the silicone forms, that I think I might be trying to find a different bra.  

Barbara

• Starak
    edited January 2012
    Options

Off Topic:  Have decided to wear one of my very best Wardrobe Picks For Foobless Days outfits.  That way it will be less noticeable if I rip 'em off half way through the day. 

• crystalphm
    edited January 2012
    Options

Snorfia, wow, I just wrote an email to you on another thread, I am the woman coping with the burn, and your words were WONDERFUL!!!! Don't even dount yourself. Oh, and I found a website that could be helpful called mastectomysolutions.com about sewing things.

I did order memory form foobs, $71 each from Park, with free shipping, I gort 4's because it seems they come in only even numbers, and 2's would probably be too small. But I will see. I hope they take returns, I should have checked. Oh well. I will post again when I try them our.

Anyone try that ABC T shirt? 114?

About the nerve pain, I get that too, I am working on gently rubbing the scar with what ever I can tolerate, ranging from silk to wool to fingernails lightly...to desensitize...my OT told me to try this.

• nwest125
    edited January 2012
    Options

crystalphm- I wear the ABC#114  I love them.

Nancy

• crystalphm
    edited January 2012
    Options

nwest125  Thank you...so great to hear before I spend the money!

• nwest125
    edited February 2012
    Options

Just to let you know my #4's fit into a AA Bra

Nancy

• CLC
    CLC Member Posts: 615
    edited February 2012
    Options

Starak...thanks for the feedback.  I was going with the whole extra gentle thing...but I was hoping you all would say...nah, it's fine...go for it...oh well...

• Starak
    edited February 2012
    Options

Crystalphm:  Thought I would share.  I tried on the ABC First Form 916 memory foam forms and LOVED them.  They are now Number 1 on my upcoming Birthday splurge list. 

FWIW, this form comes in all Sizes 1-12 and not just the even ones.  Not sure why some retailers like Park only have the even numbers but other vendors like Metro (higher price) and my local vendors, offer them all. What I tried on today was both a 4 and a 5. 

I tried 916 sz 4 on one side with my ABC 1042 sz 4 silicone on the other. As I expected the upper quadrant of the foam is a little more full which filled out the cup of the bra a little better, making the profile of the foam a little more full than the equivalent silicone.  However I did not see any difference in overall projection. 

Barbara

• crystalphm
    edited February 2012
    Options

Ok, so my ABC first forms came in the mail, I got size 4's which seem to look perfect for my height 5'2" and weight....I think they are better than many of the other foobs I have tried and am going to keep them a good fair try. One thing i notice already is they bother the ridge of tissue above and below the scar (loke if my missing breast was a volcano, I have this ridge all around the very outside, not really something that can be easily seen, but I feel it there with my fingers). I guess it is where fat once again starts.

Anyway, I feel good tonight in my new perky breasts :-)

Has anyone tried the been-a-boob from canada? I liked this when I only had one breast, it can tend to go flat if you want to be "way out there" but it was very comfortable under a sports bra, which I think is their purpose.

Ok, more as I wear these memory foam breasts...and I did get them from Park for $71 each, free shipping.