Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

All things bras & prosthesis

Options

Comments

• jblcsw10
    jblcsw10 Member Posts: 60
    edited February 2012
    Options

LOVE this thread! I started out w/BMX w/TE 19 months ago, lost one TE this past August, and elected to remove the remaining one this past Friday. I'm finally free. I was wearing a silicone Amoena with the 1 TE but it was a size 7 due to the fully inflated TE. Now that I am flat on both sides I am hoping to go smaller, maybe 4 or 5. I also had a microbead form and ordered a second one to go with it but I wish they were smaller too. Crytalphm, I am looking forward to hearing how you like the memory foam...maybe that is what I'll try next....

Still healing at this point but I plan on going back through some of the threads as well as the website Erika has to read up before starting on my new journey.  Thanks for all the great info here!

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    edited February 2012
    Options
    been a boob was my first prosthesis, and is still my go to foob, when i wear anything other than foam!!!love them   3jays
  • barbiecorn
    barbiecorn Member Posts: 86
    edited February 2012
    Options

Help me with my confusion....I am not ready for a prosthetic yet....but have purchased the camisole with foam insert for the time being...my bmx was last week but I am trying to get as much info as possible regarding a prosthetic....I don't understand the sizing...Size 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.  I was a 40D - to a 42-DD and I now want to be a B-C cup...how do I size the bra and forms??  I hated my large boobs which at my age hung down to my stomach....Can anyone explain the sizing??? 

• Starak
    Starak Member Posts: 311
    edited February 2012
    Options

Barbiecorn:  Each manufacturer is different but they will all have a chart.  I am basing this answer on a couple of the biggest manufacturers, Amoena and American Breast Care (ABC) whose sizing runs pretty close to the same.

Presuming that your bra band has not changed:

40B bra would equal a size 7 breast form

40C bra would equal a size 8 breast form, according to their charts.

In general the cup size/form size goes up or down by one with the band size.  So using the above example, a 38B would equal a size 6 form, and a 38C would equal a size 7 form or a 42B would equal a size 8 form, and a 42C bra would equal a size 9 breast form.   Not an exact science but pretty close.

If you go to this page and then enlarge the chart, you will see what I mean.

http://www.metromedicalonline.com/abc1042.html

Again, some manufacturers are radically different from these two, so you would have to look at each company's sizing charts.

This link will tell you how to measure for band size.

http://www.metromedicalonline.com/measure12.html

When it comes time I think a lot of people, me included, would advise that you have a good professional fitting. 

Barbara

• KittyDog
    KittyDog Member Posts: 656
    edited February 2012
    Options

Well my bra's came in and neither one looked great on nor did the form work well.  I ended up with the same style bra in a bigger size that they had on hand.  blush but it worked.  I ended up with a 42 DDD OMG but it worked best with the Anita 1151X in a size 12. I really like the Purr but it just did not work in the bra right...It looked good until I put my striped shirt on and then it looked way to small  and it didn't come in a bigger size.  Oh Well...I will say I felt like it fit my chest wall the best.  If I loose some weight it might work then but that in it's self has been a struggle to loose.

The bra right now is driving me crazy...She chose one that came up high on the back and underarm because of my lymphedema.  The one I had been wearing to get by just barely came up over that area.  It will just take time to get use to it.  

• Starak
    edited February 2012
    Options

Hi Kittydog:  Just curious if you know the brand/name/style name or number of your new bra?  I have an Amoena Marlena (2167) in blush that I love.

Weight is never easy.  I still have to struggle every single day to not let it get out of hand. 

I was noticing on Metro that Anita has two forms (1057X & 1089X) that are similar to the Amoena PurFit in that they have silicone fronts with the fiberfill adjustable back.  I am presuming they are likely too small though this one might be close.  I was wondering if perhaps you might have tried on the Anita version to compare to the Amoena version?

http://www.metromedicalonline.com/anita1057x.html

Let us know how you feel about your 1151X after you have had it awhile.

Crytalphm:  Any updates on your ABC memory foam forms?  I took the plunge and ordered them as my upcoming birthday splurge.  My chest is smooth and it felt really good when I tried it on so I am expecting to love it.  

One thing that crossed my mind is that so many complain of the sides being too high that I am surprised how many seem to like the Genie bras. 

"This week" my favorite bras are the Amoena Marlena, Classique 769 (this one is growing on me), and my TLC Cool Comfort.  The Genies are now on the No list.  My current Love/Hate bra is:

http://www.metromedicalonline.com/nearlyme600.html

I have it in navy.  Very pretty bra that comes in a very wide range of colors - thats the love part.  TLC sells the same bra under their own label and claims it is their best selling bra. Top part with lace lays right down on the chest so there is no gapping whatsoever.  However the edge along the top line itches and rubs.   Didn't quite blister but if I had worn it two days running, it would have.  I do have ultra sensitive skin.  I have washed it with fabric softener with no luck (better, not cured).  My next move will be to try to cover the edge with a soft smooth seam binding of some kind.

Barbara

• CatbirdC
    CatbirdC Member Posts: 235
    edited February 2012
    Options

Hi All,

A while back I wrote asking if anyone could recommend a sports bra style bra but never got any answers at that time so thought I'd try one more time.

Anyone else out there prefer and/or wear sports bras?

Thanks,

CatbirdC ~  BonnieSealed 

• Starak
    edited February 2012
    Options

CatbirdC~Bonnie:  I have no personal knowledge but Breastfree.org shows the Amoena Performance bra as recommended.  

http://www.breastfree.org/viewer.php?num=43

Also noticed the Trulife Activity Bra #330 on the same page.

Hopefully others will chime in with their recommendations.

Barbara

• KittyDog
    edited February 2012
    Options

The sports bra that I wore  up until it was just too tight was by True Life.  It was compfy and I used it through radation even. I was one who burned horribly too.

Mr bra feels better today.  I let the straps out some and that helped with how it was under the arm.  Yeah they maybe suppose to be up in the air but my comfort is more important.  

Barbara...that is my bra that you have the link too.  It is also made by Almost U  The camisole one for me did not work.  It gapped too much as in I could have taken two inches out of the middle.

http://almostu.com/menu_item_6.html

I would agree that the material is a little scratch. I plan on washing it tonight to see if it helps.  If it is the one from TLC's catalog I will say they eventually get better.  I had another Almost U from them and after a few months of washing...it was nice a comfy...just not quite the right size but it was better than the orginial sports bra.  

I will have to look at the one you suggested.  I just hate ordering when the sizes never seem to be the same.  I tried on the blue one in the one I got...It was a c cup and fit great other than the cup being snug...yet the one they ordered in a D was way to little and the DDD they just happen to have fit great.  I know from my sewing years..it all depends on who is cutting and sewing that day.  grrrr.

• Starak
    edited February 2012
    Options

Kittydog:  Yes the bra I have is the Almost U Lace Bandeau Bra Style 1260 in Midnight Blue.  I never wear anything with a camisole. I have the straps on nearly every one of my bras out as long as they will go, partially for comfort and partially because I am literally that long in the chest.  I wear a 36B (almost but not quite a 38) and something else that I have come to realize is that the construction of the bra often changes significantly as the size goes up which is something we have to take into account when looking at the reviews.  The larger sizes often have more coverage, wider bands and more hooks.  I can touch my toes in this bra without any gapping.  I was so big before BC that the truth is I have chosen to go the other way with prosthetics.  If you were simply picking a proportional size for my frame I should probably have gone up minimally another 2 to 3 sizes in forms.  That proportional issue probably affects how things fit me.

Which one of mine were you thinking of trying?

Barbara

• cwb4
    cwb4 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2012
    Options

I had a double mastectomy with reconstruction almost two years ago. Living with implants is alot different than real breast tissue. Wondering if anyone has found a comfortable bra that fits your new body with implants? I'm looking for something that is still pretty.

Cindy

• Anne888
    Anne888 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2012
    Options

This is a forum for women who do not have any reconstruction.  I think that you might get better replies by posting on the reconstruction board.  Good luck!

• river_rat
    river_rat Member Posts: 317
    edited February 2012
    Options

Cindy,

As Anne, mentioned you'd probably get more response by posting in the Breast Reconstruction forum.  I think they have a thread in there called Bras 101 or something like that.

Fear is the highest fence. ~Dudley Nichols

• sam52
    sam52 Member Posts: 431
    edited February 2012
    Options

Any insights on 'stick-on' prostheses? I have been very happy with my ordinary one, but long to be able to go bra-less, if, for example, I am wearing a strapless top.

My main concern if whether it hurts to remove the thing when it isd stuck to your skin. Like many of you, I guess, the whole mast area is still sensitive even 10 years on.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Sam I have a pair of Amoena contact forms and absolutly love them.I wear an  ahh bra over top because I hotflash alot.My girlfiend who only has one even used hers with her swimsuit and never  wears a bra with hers.I use a lightweight strapless band bra for extra security with sundresses.They do not hurt to remove but I do find them hot when I wear them in Hot climates.I like the stick ons because you always know where they are.Laughing
  • crystalphm
    crystalphm Member Posts: 277
    edited February 2012
    Options

For the ladies wearing the stick-on's, how long did you wait after surgery to wear these? And what size are you finding to be comfortable?

Barbara, I really appreciate your naming places to buy bras, I am so hesitant because I need to be able to return them, are they all returnable? And how are you liking your memory foam foobs? Mine hurt the one spot on my chest, but I think anything hurts that one spot.

When I tried an Ah or genie bra on, I picked one 2 sizes larger and It just made me bulge all over. Ok, maybe I need to lose weight...I am what I would think about 25 pounds heavier than ideal.

Maybe a good question I would like to know the answer to is what is your #1 favorite bra and #1 favorite foobs everyone?

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited February 2012
    Options

Crystal I am a big girl too wear an extra large aahh bra with a set of 3E size Amoena contact set.Never bothered with any forms until last year so I was well healed by then.I had a bad burn from rads so you must give yourself healing time first.

• sam52
    sam52 Member Posts: 431
    edited February 2012
    Options

Thanks for your input.

I have found Amoena's Lara bra very comfortable. But then I am not a big girl....

• Starak
    edited February 2012
    Options

Crystalphm: 

I do like the ABC First Form 916 memory foam and happy to report that I haven't had any appreciable trouble with them moving.  I do have a flat chest now so do not have the lumps and bumps that trouble others but that means I also have no natural parts to hold them down.  They are definitely a keeper.

Remembering that I have only been wearing foobs since Christmas, that means totally in cold weather.  For now I prefer my ABC 1042 size 5 silicone.  Setting aside anything about heat or perspiration, I prefer the feel of the silicone.  As odd as it sounds, when I wear them, I have the physical sensation of having real breasts.  Can't explain it.  My next move will be to go to size 6.  Funny before BC when I was so huge, I used to dream of going to a C cup.  Now after BC I see myself again slowly moving toward to a C cup.  Now that I know I don't have to worry about things moving too much with the right bra, I will likely go to Ultra Light silicone on the next round and will probably go to an asymmetrical. 

I really have two favorite bras which have very similar construction (think they call it a "Y" construction) and are both very stretchy.  Amoena Marlena #2167 and the TLC Cool Comfort, both having fabric which is intended to wick moisture away from the skin.  The Marlena has less coverage but a little more support.  The TLC a little more coverage but I think a little less support - not a problem for me with lightweight silicone or foam in fairly small/average sizes, but might be for someone else using standard silicone or in large sizes.  Probably perfectly fine for leisure or office use but might not be enough support for strenuous activity.   #3 would be another very stretchy bra, the Classique 769.  Between the Marlena and the 769, in my mind, I would lean toward the Marlena for the average to larger and the 769 for the average to more petite. Even though I am in ideal weight, I do have a large frame, which I think is why I lean to the Marlena for me.  They are all seamless.  The 769 has a lace layer on the cup, the others are totally smooth.

Unlike me, it sounds as if you have areas that are not entirely flat. Strictly looking at the various descriptions of all the forms, I am wondering if you have had a chance to try on some of the ones that are lightweight but with the flowable gel back.   I have held one or two in my hand and sure liked the feel of it. 

http://www.metromedicalonline.com/abc10250.html

Can't remember the precise model but I did try on one like this and again the back was super soft.  Not at all cheap but sure was comfortable.  One like it will likely be on my short list next time.

http://www.metromedicalonline.com/amoena390.html

Again with no experience but just from a logical standpoint, I would think that type might very gently mold to your chest and better accomodate the uneven areas.  Perhaps even one like the Silique form that has silicone in the front but the microbeads on the back.  The downside being it has a fabric back that once damp is going to stay that way, where with the all silicone, you can wipe it off, put it in a fresh bra and be good to go.

Even though they are clearly not a form for me, I am curious about those who lean towards the contact forms, is it for the security of knowing they won't move around or do you prefer the feel, or both?  Personally, the contact with the nobby things or ones with ridges or anything else, are crazy making for me.  Just, once again, shows how different we all are.

Barbara

• KrystalRose
    KrystalRose Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2012
    Options

I had a TE removed and needed a breast form to wear until it is replaced.  I purchased The ABC First Form, Style 916, is a lightly weighted leisure form made of memory foam that molds and contours to your body, and it costs approx $78.  I really like it and would recommend it.  See the link for the information

http://www.metromedicalonline.com/abc916.html

• MT1
    MT1 Member Posts: 223
    edited February 2012
    Options

All of this is very interesting. I saw myself in the mirror at the gym flat chested and in an old tshirt that is no longer flattering. I wondered if breast forms might be something to look into. Going to your site, Barbara, is overwhelming (to ME) but at the same time great. It gives me the info I need and lets me think about that I might want. 

For a long while I have been hesitant to even THINK of wearing forms. Why can't I just be me, in my new form? But then, sometimes I would like to blend in. I am conflicted.

I am glad I don't have silicone embedded in my body, making it a permanent decision.  

• greenfrog
    greenfrog Member Posts: 73
    edited February 2012
    Options

Hello everyone - I need some help from American women to help me translate!

The thing is I just cannot wear a bra anymore because of LE and I have read a lot of posts on here from women with a similar problem talking about camis and cami tops being the answer to this problem. Now is that we Brits call a vest? (Because I know that vest in the US is what we call a waistcoat!) And a camisole in the UK is usually quite a loose fitting item - bit like a strappy t-shirt.

I really want to try this "cami" thing out but I don't really know what I am looking for! Help!

• MT1
    MT1 Member Posts: 223
    edited February 2012
    Options

greenfrog, Camis are tank tops (and in our case, they have pockets for breast forms, like this:

http://stillyou.com/Products/lacetanktop.html 

• greenfrog
    greenfrog Member Posts: 73
    edited February 2012
    Options

Aha! Thanks for that MTelly.  I am trying to find something which is pocketed which will take very lightweight prostheses - that looks hopeful as long as it is only pocketed. I have given up on bras altogether now.

• Starak
    edited February 2012
    Options

Hi All:  There are so many Barbara's here that I want to be certain everyone remembers I am NOT the Barbara (known as Erica on BCO) of Breastfree.  I do so admire her and am so grateful for everything she does on Breastfree.

MellyT:  Now that I have been wearing forms for a couple of months, I like how I look in them. I have come to embrace the experience and find that I wear them virtually every day.  Certainly gives me more options when dressing.  Oddly enough I actually physically feel better with them than not, that somehow the pressure/feedback on the chest seems to calm the nerve damage. However, if that all changed and they were causing me to be miserable, they would just as quickly be gone. 

I always enjoy reading your thought provoking posts and I love your independent spirit. I would hope that if you decide you want to experiment with forms, to see if and how they might fit into your world, that you would do so with perhaps curiosity and a sense of fun, but never out of some outside pressure or sense of societal obligation.  In my mind, whether flat always, sometimes, or never, we are all still fabulous women.

Barbara

• KittyDog
    edited February 2012
    Options

GreenFrog...Have you visited Step Up Speak Out?  Everything you need to know about LE.

Cami's

http://www.stepup-speakout.org/Compression_camisoles_lymphedema.htm 

Sports bras work for some.  I was able to use a Sports bra up until the fall.  Check out the site and if you need any support post on the Lymphedema forums on here.  The owners of step out...are from here.

• Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 237
    edited February 2012
    Options

Hi Barbara (Starak) from the other Barbara (user name Erica). Thank you for your kind words. And thanks for starting this thread, which has become as source of support and suggestions for us.

Melly,  I could really relate to your post -- your wanting to be "just me, in my new form." I have felt the same conflict.

For me, though, the desire not to draw attention to myself overcame my urge to go flat. Many women comment that people really don't notice, but somehow when I see my own flat image in a mirror, I find my flatness so obvious that I assume others would, too.

I've always felt good about my decision not to reconstruct and I've never hidden the fact from friends, yet I still like to look as if I have breasts when I'm in public. I've decided not to be too hard on myself about my choice and just do what feels best. I hope you will, too. This surgery has already put us through a lot and whatever restores and maintains our sense of well-being seems the way to go.

• CLC
    CLC Member Posts: 615
    edited February 2012
    Options

MTelly...I complete relate to all that you said.  I feel the same.  For me, it only arises in my personal life since I wear a form at work because I teach and don't feel it is for me to raise such a body image challenge for my students who have no choice but to spend the year with me.  But at the gym, when I bring my kids to dance, shopping for groceries...I generally feel that I want to go flat on my one side.  But every once in a while, I just don't want to have to go against the grain.  I just want to be under the radar for that day.  For me, I already have the prosthetic, so I just wear it.  But I go through the conflict of why can't I just be in my new body form?

Just thought I'd let you know I can completely relate to feeling conflicted...:)

• KittyDog
    edited February 2012
    Options

Those feeling go both ways.  I wish I was flat on both sides some days.  I feel like it is so noticeable but my friends say it isn't...they are not the one looking down and seeing the foob side ways or the real boob on top of the foob.  lol  When I got my foob I thought it looked awful on..It doesn't hang the same ect...however put a shirt on and wow it looks so close.  I can't wait to get rich and try some other forms...I would still love to be flat but that isn't going to happen unless it becomes necessary.

And....the bra.  Is not my favorite at all.  I am surprise at how much it shrank.  Hopefully by summer I can afford to buy some on my on.

• crystalphm
    crystalphm Member Posts: 277
    edited February 2012
    Options

Greenfrog, I found a cami on the website pinxwear, it is for post surgery, but the thing I like about it is it has no elastic band or shelf bra. Just 2 pockets to slide my memory foam foobs into...and no tightness or binding anywhere. I wish I could find more like this, the straps are not adjustable, and I would like that feature added. I should probably email them to tell them.

Melly, I fence post sit with all of this, I want to bravely be the new me..but I can't seem to be this brave new woman every day. I too catch an image of myself without breasts and cringe...but yet I don't think others do.

I am an artist who travels to sell my work, and a the event this weekend I noticed 3 woman, one with one breast, 2 with no breasts...and honest to goodness, no one else noticed! My friends would have been honest with me, women just are not looking at women's breasts.

But of course I don't know about men. Well, there is some humor in this, isn't there? That they can now oogle my memory foam :-)