Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Tamoxifen/Effexor

Options
13»

Comments

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,883
    edited May 2012
    Options

Before resorting to another drug, anyone taking 20mg. tablet of Tamox. should first ask for a script for the 10 mg. tablets and split the dosage into one in the morning and one in the late afternoon/early evening (not right before bed.)  This alone sometimes diminishes the flashes and night sweats.

I do take Effexor and Tamox.  I first tried gabapentin (Neurontin) because that drug has fewer interactions and the S/E's seemed slightly more tolerable AND it is easier to wean off of.  If anyone is considering Effexor, I would suggest that you give gabapentin a try first as it works for many.  I did not tolerate the gabapentin well, so my second choice was Effexor.  I take EffexorXR "off-label" for pain issues, not depresssion and only secondarily to reduce hot flashes.  This does work for me.  The flashes are fewer and milder.  I do think it levels off the high and low ends of my moods, which is o.k., but it is noticeable to me.  I lost a few pounds at the start of taking it.  The bad thing about Effexor is that it has a short half-life.  If you miss a dose, it can trigger a headache or some of the withdrawl feelings.  I am not really a fan of Effexor and dread ever having to wean off of it, as I am aware of the "brain zaps.".  Anyone considering Effexor for hot flashes should take the lowest possible dosage for this reason.

Effexor has been studied extensively.  Here is a list of the S/E's for easy reference, and the percentage of people affected:

Other common Effexor XR side effects (occurring in 1 percent to 5 percent of people) include but are not limited to:

Finally, for those taking the Benadryl, check out the interaction for yourself at drugs.com.  The active ingredient to be avoided is diphenhydramine, which is in many allergy and cold preparations.  It competes for the liver enzyme used to metabolize Tamox.
  • Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited May 2012
    Options

I would never take Effexor unless I was seriously depressed!  As for the tamox, I'm only taking 10 mg for now in hopes that along with my anti cancer diet and supplementation program it will be enough to keep bc from recurring.  It's important that I have good quality of life, and with what I'm doing now, my SE's are manageable.  I do take 1/2 a tylenol pm at night and my MO has said it's ok.  I will read and print the information and take it to him to review at my next app't.  Thanks for the heads up.

• momx3
    momx3 Member Posts: 126
    edited May 2012
    Options

Hmm, guess I'm really bad. I take 20mg of Tamox, effexor, ambien & gaba. I am also taking Loraz, which I am trying to get off if I ever quit having a reason to take it :/ (OH, and the vicadon)