Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

A rad onc weighs in on radiation "burns"

Options

Comments

• MsW2012
    MsW2012 Member Posts: 36
    edited April 2013
    Options

Numbersinger, it's funny, I just made that suggestion to my RO on Tuesday about the skin areas to treat. I said the physicist is able to do so much with all the patient data and digital images, he should be able to print out diagrams of exactly where the skin is going to be exposed. She thought it was a great idea. Why didn't anyone think of that a long time ago? I think I will run it by the ACS too, for general patient tips. It never hurts to ask, and if they have the capability, I think they'd be happy to do it.

Everybody's treatment plan is unique. It's all about the angles. I have a kind of trapezoid area on my back, and the area just under my armpit is the reddest. The onc said wherever something is concave, it's going to get "bounce" exposure. I am hit from four different angles, and they overlap on my back and side.

You are so right. Moisturize beginning a week before, and be diligent about it! I can see the part of my back I was missing with the moisturizer. It does make a difference.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited April 2013
    Options

Hey there MsW2012- how are you doing well and wishing you a good week!

• MsW2012
    edited April 2013
    Options

Thx RMlulu! I am doing well. Just two more weeks of rads, I can hardly believe it. How are you doing?

• Tammy_M43
    Tammy_M43 Member Posts: 565
    edited April 2013
    Options

Well done msW2012! RMlulu, you must be on the countdown too....

• rmlulu
    edited April 2013
    Options

Hey MsW2012- counting down the days:). How's your skin did the fit E do the tick...when do you start boosts?

I'm 18/33 last 5 will be boosts. My skin did not fare well last week...emu oil has been a big help...hoping skin will calm down...I've got a 3rd boob o side RO said its inflammation so popping aleve and living flash boob as much as possible:)) ha!

Take care zip zap we're getting there...

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• adagio
    adagio Member Posts: 713
    edited April 2013
    Options

Saw my RO today and she said to start expecting redness and tightness anytime after the halfway mark which for me is tomorrow. I tried kukui nut oil on my breast over the weekend and it soaked in nicely and isn't messy, so I am doing kukui oil at night, and lubriderm after the radiation treatment. Last week I had itching, but no itching the past few days. I am 9/20 - last 4 will be boosts. 

Wishing everyone speedy healing and good sleeps at night.

• rmlulu
    edited April 2013
    Options

Adagio - glad you are doing so well 9/20 tomorrow half done and goal in sight! Use whatever works ... Sounds like you found it:).

Sending healing thoughts ... Sweet dreams!

Cindy

• MsW2012
    edited April 2013
    Options

RMlulu- Sorry to hear about the third boob! And sorry to hear your skin is not faring well. For me, so far so good, no blistering or anything, just pretty red under the armpit. I have been using 30,000 IU Vitamin E cream first thing in the morning and twice in afternoon, plus Aloe gel right after treatment and Aquaphor at bed time. Do cold packs take the swelling down? I hope it's not painful.

I actually lost count and I realized over the weekend this is my last week, not counting boosts! So I'm 24/33 now. After this week, it's down to boosts, wow! I did get what the RO calls follicular damage in one area so I'm using prescription ointment there. Not out of the woods yet.

Just think, once we're through this it's all downhill from there! I will have Herceptin through October plus some kind of reconstruction. Haven't thought too much about that yet. Tomorrow: genetic counseling re BRCA testing, since I'm adopted. That will be interesting.

Sweet dreams!

• Tammy_M43
    edited April 2013
    Options

Adagio and Cindy, just a thought...perhaps you should check re using an oil as I was told not you use oil during my treatment....

Sending you positive wishes :)

• adagio
    edited April 2013
    Options

Tammy43 - I was told not to use oil either, but if you read all the ingredients in the creams they recommend there is oil in one form or another in them plus a lot of other chemicals that I can barely read or pronounce! My technician said that the important thing is that the skin is moisturized and NOT GREASY during the actual treatment.  I stayed away from oils for the first week, but didn't feel good about the other "junk" in the creams, so I just wanted something pure with no additives. I guess I will take responsibility if things don't work out for me. Thanks for the heads up, though. I'd love to hear input from others about oils on the skin.

• rmlulu
    edited April 2013
    Options

Hi Tammy M43 - you are so correct!

My RO has my list of skin care protection and reviews each week what how when they are applied. I apply after rads then 2 times during the day and after my cool shower at night. In the morning another cool shower and off to rads bare skin. Most important is to follow your ROs directions...mine is okay with my skin care regime and I pretested my other breast to ensure no adverse skin reactions prior to rads.

Thanks for the positive wishes. Zip Zap :)

Cindy

• Tammy_M43
    edited April 2013
    Options

Adagio and Cindy, looks like you have it covered....

• Cynthie
    Cynthie Member Posts: 21
    edited April 2013
    Options

Hi all!  Seems like a few of us are nearing the halfway mark wooohoo!  Tomorrow is 14/28 for me---30.8 "shades of Gray"!  My chest is definitely burning now---an hour after rads I can see a clear outline of the field.  Same underneath and on the side up to (but not yet including) the armpit.  So far the burn goes away overnight.  Strangely enough, the Bad Girl herself doesn't seem to be much affected (but that could start tomorrow Undecided or anytime, of course...)

Me: "Why aren't little "aprons" provided to protect surrounding tissue from "scatter"?".  Tech: "Oh, this is MUCH more powerful than dental xrays---it would go right through those things."  Aaaaaagggh!  Sorry I asked! 

My newest invention is to take squares of an old T-shirt, soak them in water, rub aloe or moisturizer into them, put them in snack baggies and into the fridge.  Feels sooo good and doesn't disturb the wild wacky "warpaint" a bit!

Sweet healing dreams!! 

• adagio
    edited April 2013
    Options

Cynthie - how scary is that about our protection?  Some things are best left unknown, I guess. But I always ask a lot of questions too.

What a good idea about the old t-shirt squares. I tried putting a handkerchief under the breast yesterday, but it didn's stay there - perhaps I will have to start wearing a bra to hold it in place. I am trying to avoid the skin on skin contact which I have heard can be an aggravation. 

You are halfway tomorrow - congrats - and hang in there. Love the "shades of Gray" - made me chuckle!!

• rmlulu
    edited April 2013
    Options

Hi y'all

Don't y'all wish that we all could be at the same rad center having our zaps together...how fun would that be!

Cynthie - lol the 30.8 shades of gray! Don't ask don't tell don't know sometimes some ignorance is bliss...:(( but we do need to be our best advocate so we need to know. Note to self...lube whole body! T-shirt aloe ice cooler ummm feels good. Clever girl:)

Adagio - you are doing so good...I wear a cami with free boob & a sport sock caressing the hot girl. Amazing all the ideas we come up with to help that girl make to the goal line lol!

Zip Zap healing light! Fight on Brave Warriors :)

Cindy

• MsW2012
    edited April 2013
    Options

RMlulu, yes that would be so cool if we all had our rads together. I can just imagine. We would do a lot of laughing, for sure! What a nice thought.

Better days ahead!

• laurascott1016
    laurascott1016 Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2013
    Options

RO gave me some gel like substance to use in the itchy bumps. Feels and looks like aloe vera. Takes the itch out. Works well.

• laurascott1016
    laurascott1016 Member Posts: 8
    edited April 2013
    Options

To All: wonderful ideas including my favorite-chilled, moisturized tee shirt bits! I think I shall try that one tomorrow. I am finding myself tucking the armpit of my tee shirt snug against my underarm to avoid the skin on skin.

To those who may be observing, gathering info for now, as I did for a bit, please know this. Everyone is different. Our bodies react differently from the same things. My rad techs told me that my skin would do fine, given my natural skin tone and the way that I tanned. They were right. With the exception of a small patch of itchy bumps that come and go, it has been okay. No, it's not a walk in the park.", but there are much worse things. Of this, I am certain. I am into the boost phase now; seven boosts at the end of 33 total treatments. I have two more this week and three next week. I am red and brown and my poor nipple has peeled and is on the sensitive side. BUT it hasn't been as awful as I had imagined. Please don't allow someone else's experience scare you. Listen to your techs and to your RO. I have used Aveno, vitamin e cream, aquaphor, aloe and coconut oil throughout this process. I used anything that was comforting in the evening. I used nothing in between my morning shower and my treatment. I used aquaphor directly after my treatment. I chose a treatment center that was small and close to my office. I am gone each day from 11:05 to 11:30 a.m. I chose it for the convenience. I am usually the only patient there, so there isn't much interaction. That's where this group helps!

Sweet dreams all.

• Tammy_M43
    edited April 2013
    Options

Laura, you are right that we are all different....I was worried as I have very fair skin but I alo did fine...

Good luck everyone....

• MsW2012
    edited April 2013
    Options

Ugh, I just found some awfully ugly skin at the boost site, today is 10 days after last treatment. This morning it just looked like leather and just now it looked like cobwebs and lifted off like paper - is that normal? I'm afraid to put anything on the shiny skin underneath. I washed the area with soap and dabbed it dry and that didn't hurt. Anyone experience this? Do you do anything different once this happens? I'm wearing a giant t-shirt so nothing touches it. Of course this happened right before 5:00 so I can't call the nurses. Thanks.

• rmlulu
    edited April 2013
    Options

Ouch MsW2012 :(

Sorry that your skin is having issues. And that your rad team is gone for the rest of the day...does your RO have # to reach after hours...if so call.

A lady at BC support group mentioned your black leather handbag look once...I tuned out it frightened me so....

If you don't get answer here try winter rads 2012 or rad therapy before during after.

Sending healing thoughts (((hugs)))

Today ws my final rad :) yippee..now wait and pray for calm healing of girl

Cindy

• MsW2012
    edited April 2013
    Options

Thanks Cindy. What a sweetheart you are. I will try calling and see if they have an after-hours number. Thanks for your healing thoughts! And congratulations on finishing, yippee!!! :D

• MsW2012
    edited April 2013
    Options

Update. The radiology dept doesn't have on-call after hours but I contacted my MO. She said as long as it looks clean I shouldn't put anything on it, just put some gauze loosely over it for the night, then if it doesn't look better by morning I should go in and have the radiology dept. bandage it for me. She said there is no immediate risk of infection. Phew!

• 35_smiling
    35_smiling Member Posts: 21
    edited April 2013
    Options

MsW2012:

I am sorry this had to happen at a time when there isn’t an on-call radiologist after hours.  Glad you manage to speak with someone and they advised there is no risk of infection.  Thank goodness for that!  Do you think you still have to go in to have someone to look at it?  I hope it’s not too bad.  Good luck and praying for a speedy recovery (I guess this is what I have to look forward to as well…)!

RMlulu:

Congratulations on for having your last radiation yesterday! Jumping for joy over here! So now that your radiation is finished what is next for you?

Tammy_M42

Thanks, looking forward to start my radiation; as it will be one step closer to the end of my road.

Laurascott1016:

Congratulations to you too for finishing up with your radiation!  You are absolutely right about how everyone’s radiation side effect is different.  I start mine shortly and at first I was afraid because reading everyone’s experience scared the ja-bee-bers but then had to take a step back and tell myself that this may not happen to me so I need to take my experience day-by day, hour-by-hour and minute-by-minute and walk over the bridge when it comes.  So now your radiation is finished what is next for you?

• rmlulu
    edited May 2013
    Options

MsW2012 - sending healing thoughts (((hugs)))! Hoping your skin heals quickly and thankful your MO was able to answer your call. Have you been to see your RO?

Hang in there brave warrior...soon there will be baby soft skin:))

Cindy

• MsW2012
    edited May 2013
    Options

I got an appt to see the ro at 2 pm the next day. That morning it still looked so scary I couldnt wait. Then by 1 pm it had dried considerably and looked so much better I cancelled. It was healed enough that I wasn't too afraid to touch it. Slathered on aloe gel. It is looking great now. It just looked so scary the other day I could hardly sleep. Praise God for our wonderful resilient bodies!

Best wishes to everyone. The healing time is the best.

• pattithenurse
    pattithenurse Member Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    Options

I'm new to the room.......UGH! I'll have a simulation May 21 and then start this part of the journey. I was approached about being in the accelerated program. Any of you do it? It's a 50/50% chance. I'm sooo worried about this "fatigue" that women talk about. And.....it was recommended that I take melatonin for sleep,but then someone else said it's an antioxidant and you shouldn't take it? I'm also starting on an antidepressant (Zoloft) today just to prepare myself. I'm 65,didn't see this train wreck coming. Thanks women for listening..............

• rmlulu
    edited May 2013
    Options

Good News MsW2012 - PTL! So glad to hear that you are doing better. Yes, our bodies are amazing. Looks like your skin has turned the corner...RO told me that rads should do what they need to do for 1-2 weeks and then baby new skin would be there...so I'm counting on seeing everything looking real good by RO appt on 5/15.

Sending soothing healing thoughts (((hugs)))

Cindy

• rmlulu
    edited May 2013
    Options

Pattithenurse - welcome to rads and congrats on completing chemo:)

This site has great info on radiation therapy ...there are many different protocols so ask. If you are a candidate for a shorter protocol ask ask ask.

I just completed a 28+5 boosts external beam and it is a grind going everyday for 33 days, but it was kind to my skin...my tumor was near the chest wall so rads was a given and prone was not an option.

Some have done 20 days and another just completed 2X for 5 day accelerated protocol...so ask.

Hydration, eating well, walking, rest, moisturizing skin- all helps. Fatigue was not a big issue...hydration makes a big difference. I had no sleep issues...zzz like a baby.

I avoid roller coasters:((( like to be in control ... Rads is more mental than physical...it does not hurt...rad team was wonderful and very supportive. I did practice 15 min mediation often during this time and made sure I arrived 20 mins early so I could change and spend a few minutes deep breathing and relaxing my mind...also I wrote daily fun countdown sticky notes to help make rads less serious. And I was grateful each day for rads:)))

Best Wishes in rads...you will be fine...ask and find the protocol that best fits your needs mind body and spirit!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• MsW2012
    edited May 2013
    Options

RMlulu, how are you doing? I hope your skin is healing well. I keep slathering on the vit e cream, and Aquaphor at night. There was very slight peeling just about everywhere but that really scary heavy peeling was at the boost site. Now, 2-1/2 days later you would never know it was there.

Your doc sees you 3 weeks after? Mine gave me 6 weeks. I hope you are doing well. -Elizabeth