Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

If you are not Stage IV but have questions, you may post here

Options

Comments

• kayfh
    kayfh Member Posts: 79
    edited May 2012
    Options

I agree with ma111, it has to do with autonomy.

• Infobabe
    Infobabe Member Posts: 52
    edited May 2012
    Options

I know.  A lady on this thread did post the kind of testimony I was hoping for.  The OP has not responded as I think she is not responding to anyone now because she is off for her 2nd opinion soon and has said all she intends to say. 

Many have wished her good luck and she is going to need it as that is all she has going for her.  I was tempted to tell her that my grandmother chose to have no treatment but she cannot engage in this conversation because she died 6 months later.  True story.

• Octobergirl
    Octobergirl Member Posts: 18
    edited May 2012
    Options

barsco and ma111, Thanks so much for your responses. I spent the better part of the last 2 days pondering.

Barsco, It's a good idea but I'm in Charlotte with my mom and do not have a GP here. Last year, I saw a local dr. here for antibiotics (recommended by my onc) and she prescribed them very reluctantly since she hadn't seen me before.

Ma111, thinking about why I haven't called...it's really just fear. If it comes to chemo again, I don't know what my decision would be. I would ask questions, push my onc for all the straight facts and look at all options including clinical trials. And I would travel.

I guess life has a way of moving forward whether or not we do. I weighed after I arrived here and have lost over 5 lbs. fairly quickly...a lot since I only regained to 104 where I held steady 3 yrs. post-tx. And I'm having more pain around my left shoulder blade. I will call 1st thing Monday morning....after a peaceful Sunday afternoon with my Mama. Again, thanks for the support here. Seeing this thread was like an island in the stream and, though I didn't know it,writing the email was a step forward for me.

• susgul
    susgul Member Posts: 104
    edited May 2012
    Options

Chrissy, you are one caring lady to take the time to do this.  Hugs.

Susan

• 1Athena1
    1Athena1 Member Posts: 672
    edited May 2012
    Options

Edited, as no longer relevant.

• ma111
    ma111 Member Posts: 167
    edited May 2012
    Options

1Athena1,

I think it more sounds like,"I care so much for you, I want to make sure you are getting the latest best treatment out there".

• Sommer43
    Sommer43 Member Posts: 45
    edited May 2012
    Options

This thread has been invaluable, for people to ask questions about Stage IV.  I read a lot and I have just been reading a thread where a lady has stated that people piss her off, because they don't understand.  Why I don't post in stage IV apart from to Coolbreeze which was about another matter. 

As much as people come out with conditioned bull shit, and it is that, the "I know how you must be feeling" and "It must be awful"  It must drive them potty.  I cannot, ever, possibly even attempt to understand what a young woman, who has small children and is stage IV is going through. 

I follow a lot of stories on Stage IV, so that I can see how they feel, but I cannot understand how they feel.  I simply read, do not feel compelled to disrespect their feelings or what they are going through by telling the ladies there, that I do understand. 

I read ladies, I so read. 

• Angelfalls
    Angelfalls Member Posts: 83
    edited May 2012
    Options

I agree, 1Athena1. I find Infobabe's posts insulting and insensitive to all concerned.

• kayfh
    edited May 2012
    Options

I think ma111 has it right. Infobabe is probably a very kind human who wishes the best for her fellowhumanbeings. It's just so darn hard when their thought processes bring them to different conclusions. Even if they have the same information as she does.

• kayfh
    edited May 2012
    Options

I think ma111 has it right. Infobabe is probably a very kind human who wishes the best for her fellowhumanbeings. It's just so darn hard when their thought processes bring them to different conclusions. Even if they have the same information as she does.

• steelrose
    steelrose Member Posts: 318
    edited May 2012
    Options

We're all making informed decisions here as far as treatment goes and there are choices. Chemo and hormonals have proven to extend life, it's true, but not without consequences. There's a lot of grey area, a lot of variables, because we have no known cause or cure. It comes down to a very personal choice, one not to be taken lightly. And in the end it's certainly not a choice to be made by anyone other than the patient his/herself... however well intentioned these outside influences may be.  

• Linda-n3
    Linda-n3 Member Posts: 1,713
    edited May 2012
    Options

ChrissyB, thank you so much for starting this thread. I am not Stage IV according to PET scan, but my scans have regularly been false negatives, so am afraid that I will get to stage IV sooner rather than later. In the meantime, I am reading, trying to find joy in each and every day, savor the moments of grace that I can and not worry too much. It's just nice to know there is a place to come to read, ask questions, and get some straight answers.

• djfrro
    djfrro Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2012
    Options

So, I just got back from my oncologist.  The pain I have been having is from some degenerate disc problems and arthritis, sucks to get old I guess, but it sure beats the alternative!

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited May 2012
    Options

mzmerz - don't think about different things you could have done.  I'm post-menopausal and they started me on tamoxifen.  I'd still be on it (timewise) but my body simply would NOT put up with the drug, so I was moved to an AI.  The last I read was that 2.5 years tamox and 2.5 years AI is recommended.  My mom was also post-menopausal when diagnosed (she was 20 years older than I was when I was diagnosed).  She was put on tamoxifen and had no re-currence, whereas both her sister and her mother were stage IV when diagnosed.  It's just a crap-shoot.

Congratulation DJ - so glad you are alright.  Getting old does suck :)  

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited May 2012
    Options

DJ that is wonderful news!  Congratulations!  

It's amazing when we can say congratulations when you have been dx'd with arthritis and degenerative disc problems and know that the person being congratulated has a smile on their face.  Definitely better than the alternative.

• ma111
    ma111 Member Posts: 167
    edited May 2012
    Options

diffo, so glad it was arthritis!

• Kazzie61
    Kazzie61 Member Posts: 418
    edited May 2012
    Options

What a wonderful thread, I had no idea where to post my question until I came across this......

Yesterday I had a bone scan after a couple of months of lower back pain.

Well, when it was over I asked the radiologist if they could see 'anything' & she hesitated & said 'yes we can, your doctor will discuss the results with you'!!!!

My question is, can the radiologist tell the difference between cancer & arthritis at that stage or do they need to study the pics more thoroughly??

I've read that arthritis lights up just as cancer does, but really need to know if the trained eye would be able differentiate between the two right away!!

I'm feeling very scared........

Karen x

• chrissyb
    edited May 2012
    Options

Hi Karen to answer your question, the techs who take the pics can see where the bone takes up the radioactive isatope but it takes the Radiology Doc to actually read the results properly.  It is also very difficult to know the difference between arthritis, age related degeneration and cancer unless the cancer is very large.  Keeping my fingers crossed for you that it is not cancer but if it is, please know that bone mets are not the end of the world and can be treated.

What part of Aus do you come from?  I'm in country SA.  If you want to talk, just PM me your number and I'll call you or I can pm you mine.....which ever suits you better.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy 

• Kazzie61
    Kazzie61 Member Posts: 418
    edited May 2012
    Options

Hi Chrissy.....thanks for the info. I'm trying very hard to be patient & accept that I will find out the result on Tuesday but it's really hard not to worry....as I know you would understand!!

I haven't told my husband...don't want him to have to worry particularly if it turns out to be just arthritis.

On the other hand, if it turns out to be mets, to tell him with no warning would be very hard on him as well-:(

Can't help but worry about everyone else LOL

I live in Perth with my hubby, our gorgeous chocky Labrador & 2 grown children that have left home & since returned LOL

Karen x

• chrissyb
    edited May 2012
    Options

Karen, kids do have a habit of being a little bit like boomerangs for a while after flying the nest........lol......mine were exaclty the same.

I hear you on the being strong and thinking of everyone else, I think that's a trait of all women...............

Love n hugs.  Chrissy 

• Sandyland
    Sandyland Member Posts: 106
    edited May 2012
    Options

Chrissy,

I noticed in your DX that you have mets, but no nodal involvement.  I didn't even know that was possible.  I also had zero nodes and, somehow, I thought I was "in the clear" so to speak.  I'm learning that that might not be the case.  I've learned so much from BCO and this thread.  Thanks for taking the time.

Blessings,

SAN

• Mardibra
    Mardibra Member Posts: 194
    edited May 2012
    Options

Sandyland - I also thought it had to travel through the nodes first.  I learn something new everyday on these boards!

• MJLToday
    MJLToday Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2012
    Options

BC is a sneaky bitch of a disease.  Even those that were diagnosed at stage 0 -- meaning pre-invasive (in situ) cancer, can go on to develop metastasis.  The odds are much less for stage 0 and 1 of course, but sometimes it is just the limitations of medical sciences to be able to look at every single cell in a breast lump or node, to see if there is invasion in the tissue or node.

Sorry for the downer, but invasive BC (stage 1 and above) is never considered cured, until the patient dies of something else, disease free. 

• Mardibra
    Mardibra Member Posts: 194
    edited May 2012
    Options

BC is a bitch for sure!

• Lmflynn
    Lmflynn Member Posts: 273
    edited May 2012
    Options

Ditto.....a mean sneaky sometimes unrelenting Big B.....of a disease....

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited May 2012
    Options

I have noticed that (on initial dx)  those WITHOUT node involvelment tend to say great - it hasn't got out of the breast, whereas those WITH node involvement tend to say great, my nodes did their job and caught it before it got any further. We all try to rationalize what we have.

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited May 2012
    Options

Lymph involvement lets you know that it has started traveling, but BC can also travel via your blood - ergo no nodal involvement but still can get mets - one of the reasons IMO we need to take whatever medications are available....

• djfrro
    edited May 2012
    Options

When you have had Breast Cancer ANY pain is a possible met,  I have had it twice, not a reoccerance but two primary breast cancers 13 years apart,  I was convinced and had resigned myself that the pain I was having in my back was the cancer.  I made my dr show me the scans and explain to me why this was not cancer.  It is sooooo hard...............

• djfrro
    edited May 2012
    Options

When you have had Breast Cancer ANY pain is a possible met, I have had it twice, not a recurrence but two primary breast cancers 13 years apart, I was convinced and had resigned myself that the pain I was having in my back was the cancer. I made my dr show me the scans and explain to me why this was not cancer. It is sooooo hard...............

• Karina
    Karina Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2012
    Options

Gardengumby, thanks for the explanation. I am curious, if the cells can travel via blood vessels AND lymphs at the same time or in separate time frame??