Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

If you are not Stage IV but have questions, you may post here

Options

Comments

• Astrid
    Astrid Member Posts: 1,033
    edited December 2020
    Options

thankyou Sondra.I appreciate that. Could bone mets look like osteo arthritis on an x ray or do tjey look really different? Just trying to get some peace of mind on this I guess.

I will definitely ask for an mri or pet...not sure what my chances of that are but will make clear my symptoms and how I'd like to be sure of what is going on.

Thanks again for replies shetland and sondra.🌺🌾

• Ana12
    Ana12 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2020
    Options

After eight years of disease and carboplatine as the last treatment, do you think there's other chance treatments? Urgent. Please.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited December 2020
    Options

Ana, your other post is in metaplastic forum. Is this what you have?

It will help us help you if fill out the full diagnosis , hormone markers, grade, and all the treatments so far. We can't tell what might be avail without knowing what has already been tried

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 773
    edited December 2020
    Options

I have a question regarding liver mets. What are the first symptoms that cancer has gone to the liver and surrounding area and if blood tests will show any abnormalities.

Thank you so much!

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited December 2020
    Options

Lilly, here is a link to information on that.

https://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/types/recur_...

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited December 2020
    Options

Lilly,

I just looked at that link. I don't think it's the clearest. I will tell you that I had NO symptoms of any issues with my liver at all -- all of my liver function tests were absolutely normal. My tumor markers had started going up, and my MO had me do an abdominal CT. There was a little bit of a shadow in the back part of my liver (no definitive metastasis). As a followup, we did an MRI with contrast, and that's when they showed up.

If you peruse the liver mets thread, I don't know if anyone who posts on there said that they had prior symptoms, other than a few people whose liver function tests started going a bit wonky.

Of course, this is anecdotal, but it's important that you understand that liver mets not show up except on certain imaging.

• moth
    edited December 2020
    Options

my liver hurt on palpation by Dr.

Also, I have an above counter bowl sink and I'm near sighted and when I leaned against it to look in the mirror it pressed right under my ribs and was tender there.

• whatjusthappened
    whatjusthappened Member Posts: 178
    edited December 2020
    Options

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I figured this was as good a place as any. On my left side flank, right under my ribcage, I have about a baseball-size area of skin that keeps turning pink. It doesn't hurt or itch, no welts or sores, it's just pink. It seems to be most pronounced when I wake up or after a shower. Sometimes it fades and comes back again. I've noticed it for at least a few months now, and I have no idea what it could be. If I press on that area, my rib is a bit tender, but then again it's tender if I press on the opposite side too so I don't know if that's got anything to do with it. I don't want to be paranoid every time something new pops up, and I've already had a lot of imaging investigating various things (which has led to even more tests). I know if I mention it to my MO it will probably result in more imaging, so I don't really want to do that.

My thinking is that it will either get better or it will get worse, and if it gets worse then I can mention it. Is that a safe assumption on my part, or do we always have to be hyper-vigilant? I don't want to be the one who cries wolf too often.

• lillyishere
    edited December 2020
    Options

Thank you Mia, Bev and Moth. My skin and eyes have turned a pale/yellowish color but the blood tests are normal. I feel new pain on the right side under the rib or right kidney location that comes and goes. I also have a feeling that my nerves have become very sensitive since I started letrozole and it may be that I feel pains and aches I wouldn't normally feel. I don't know what to think anymore. I have my annual physical in January and I will mention it to my new PCP. My MO only tests for SE of letrozole on kidneys and liver and the breast cancer center I go don't check on tumor markers. MO doesn't want to order scans if he thinks are not necessary.

Moth what a story. I even went to push my right side against the countertop but I am tall and had to lower myself to position right. My kids asked me Mom what are you doing? I told them I'm scratching like a cat! I don't want them to worry.

Thank you again, Ladies. Hugs!

• BevJen
    edited December 2020
    Options

Lilly,

If your skin and eyes are looking yellowish, I would at least call your MO about it now rather than waiting for your annual physical in January. It's worth the call even if it means that you have to go in for another appointment (I know, it's a pain). If you are not comfortable with calling your MO, I'd try and move up your appointment with your PCP so you can have someone look at you and also re-do your blood tests.

• moth
    edited December 2020
    Options

Lilly, I agree about going back sooner rather than later. Test liver enzymes for sure

I'd probably push foe ultrasound at leaat. Remember, key is to say symptoms present for more than 2 weeks, same or worsening. Emphasize the pain.

• lillyishere
    edited December 2020
    Options

Thank you, Bev and Moth. I had my liver and kidney tests done in May and November because of my yellowish skin and eyes. Tests came back normal. Sometimes I feel these large cancer centers are like factories and I feel I want priority to go to cancer patients who are in more critical need than me. MO also said that even if I wait for 6 months, the treatment will be the same. I read it as don't bother us between 6 months scheduled appointments.

A question, if you press where the liver is and it hurts, should it go away when you stop pressing?

Hugs Hug

• BevJen
    edited December 2020
    Options

Lilly,

My personal opinion about any doctors/cancer centers is that if you need help at a particular time, you need help. None of us really knows (unless we are medically trained) if we are in need -- we can only report what's going on with ourselves.

I don't have pain in my liver, so unfortunately, I can't answer your question.

• lillyishere
    edited December 2020
    Options

Thank you so much Bev. Honestly, I feel more comfortable with PS who is young and I was his first patient than my MO who is well known and I feel like I'm one of his zillion patients. He doesn't even check, I can grow a third breast and he won't know :)

• Astrid
    edited December 2020
    Options

Good luck Lillyishere!

Had appt with breast surgical oncologist.

Bone scan in a month. He is confident something would have showed besides ostwo arthritis on x ray... but happy to look further and at the least if it shows more arthritis in other areas it is helpful for a tx plan. He thougt the right side pain might be related off the spine or rib and thus no ct or mri . I am not convinced of course!😀

Gonna ask my GP (Internist) for a ct for my peace of mind.😉

• Astrid
    edited December 2020
    Options

hi all, just updating

I got a referral from my GP for a ct scan whuch I had (don't remember them being so quick, but my last was years ago). Jad contrast dye and chest/abdo so I feel confident that if there is anything besides osteo arthritis, it is going to show.

Hoping to save myself unecessary anxiety over christmas period.

Astrid.🎄

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    edited December 2020
    Options

Astrid - wishing you well on the CT.

• Astrid
    edited December 2020
    Options

thankyou bluegirlred.

🎄🙏💝

• Astrid
    edited December 2020
    Options

so post, GP (internist) visit for CT results.

Chest all clear.

Detected in liver a small spot.

Dr just rang and said they'd like me to get an ultrasound so they can see more clearly

But it is very small aparently. Not there 4 years ago. (Last CT).

Likely a cyst? I'm not too worried.

Bone scan in 3 weeks.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited December 2020
    Options

Liver cysts are common.

• Astrid
    edited December 2020
    Options

yeah. Thanks shetland pony!Heart

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    edited December 2020
    Options

Any thoughts on CA27-29 tumor markers? It seems like some DRs use regularly, others do not find them helpful. Oncologist called, concerned that mine went up since Aug, but wants me to continue with Ibrance 100 mg and Arimidex pending next CT which is scheduled 1st week Jan 2021. Started Ibrance Sept 2019. At first it seemed like it was working, after each CT oncologist was very encouraging because tumor was shrinking, but last time her comments seemed murky. That overall, improvement was indicated, even though measurement suggest growth. She said that radiologist might measure different area etc. CA27-29 25.6 Sept 2019; 43.1 Aug 2020; 50.4 Dec 2020. "High" is anyting greater than 38.6. Is this a big increase? Some have posted about MRIs, Ultrasounds, Petscans etc to help with detection and interpretation. Would these help? What kinds if questions should I be asking? Metastatsis has not been mentioned, but I worry about it and if CT would detect it early?

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,634
    edited December 2020
    Options

BlueGirl, my CA 27-27 has always been within normal limits - even with mets. My first oncologist (now retired) did not put much weight on the numbers. My new oncologist feels the same. Some do, some don't.

Hopefully your next scans will give you some answers.

• Astrid
    edited December 2020
    Options

sunshine I Iove what you wrote for your 'tag' it won't enter your soul.

Redgirlblue Are you able to post your cancer history?

I hope all is ok there.

🎄

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,634
    edited December 2020
    Options

Thanks, Astrid. I had seen different 'tag' lines and I like how they tell us a little bit about the person. My husband and I have a strong (most of the time) faith and there is a song we really like by a group called Bethel. It's called "It is Well". I'm determined that "all shall be well with my soul", no matter the outcome of this vile disease.

You've certainly had more than your share of recurrences! I was part of the TailoRx study and was randomized to get chemo. My Oncotype score was somewhere around 18, I think. I was glad to get the chemo because I wanted to throw everything at this beast. Research now shows that chemo doesn't necessarily benefit those with my range of scores. So, I got the chemo and still had the mets. I think I'd be more upset if I HADN'T had the chemo and got the mets. It's not our fault that we have a recurrence or mets, but at least we don't have to second guess our treatment choices.

I hope you have a peaceful Christmas, if you celebrate it. Here's to an uneventful 2021!

Carol

• Astrid
    edited December 2020
    Options

and to you Carol and all of us.

Peace be with everyone.

• Astrid
    edited January 2021
    Options

update:

Hd liver u/sound this morning to check tiny lesion (2mm) guy was nuce enough to say it looks fluid filled.Smile

Very happy about that.

Looking good. 99% for another cancer free year.

Bone Scan next week.

Starting a G:LAD program for the osteoarthritis in hips.

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    edited January 2021
    Options

Astrid....great news! Whoot!!! Thanks for sharing...when one of us dodges a bullet its like we all get to feel that happy dance sigh of relief too. :)

• Astrid
    edited January 2021
    Options

Hey 7of9...

I know right?

Heart

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    edited January 2021
    Options

Just want to acknowledge the passing of chrissyb, the creator of this thread. I never met her, but I felt like I knew her. She was so helpful to me and hundreds of others. I felt like I had a friend on the other side of the world. She was a lovely, generous woman who contributed greatly to BCO. Fly free chrissyb. You are missed.