Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Life on aromasin

Options

Comments

• 2FUN
    2FUN Member Posts: 789
    edited April 2018
    Options

laura,I will look for the papers. I have a medical backgtound, but pharmacology is not my forte! Lol

• anna-33
    anna-33 Member Posts: 108
    edited April 2018
    Options

Anyone here on aromasin AND Ibrance (palbociclib) ? Experiences? I am in the Pallastrial.

• Canela
    Canela Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2018
    Options

I picked up my refill today and my pharmacy switched brands from the Alvogen generic to Greenstone. I've read on the boards that different brand of generics can have different side effects. Does anyone have any experience with these brands? On the Alvogen my side effects have been hot flashes and what I think is de Quervian's tenosynovitis on my right wrist. It sucks but it's been bearable, and I'm a big believer in sticking with the devil I know.

• murfy
    murfy Member Posts: 254
    edited May 2018
    Options

From my reading on this and other sites, Greenstone generic may be associated with fewer SEs than other generics. I take 1/4 to 1/2 pill daily and have occasional flashes and sweats, but no other problems.

Best of luck!

Laura

• notthrilled
    notthrilled Member Posts: 19
    edited May 2018
    Options

My exemestane (aromasin) aches aren' t too bad, I take glucosamine and joint supplements, and lately I am on celebrex for a back sprain and that helps even more (I may stay on this a while!). I have to say that vaseline is still the go to for lubrication as it stays put. LOL. My worst side effect is "the prickles", pins and needles whenever I get warm, exercise too much, hot shower etc. - back and arms wherever is warm. (and it doesn't take much to go directly from cold to too hot). Anyone find a solution for it? Summer is coming and I am dreading it. Feels like I am bathing in fiberglass insulation.

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited May 2018
    Options

What a bummer. I only get pins and needles in my hands so sorry not much help, but do send you sincere sympathy and hope you get some relief.

• KimCee
    KimCee Member Posts: 170
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi everyone,

Yuck...I start today. I took tamoxifen 18 years ago for 3 years. Gained 20 pounds. Switched to Femara, was a dream. No side effects. I wanted Femara again but MO said it failed me since this is my second rodeo. I just don't want weight gain, thinning hair, joint pain. I can deal with the rest.

How long did it take before you all started experiencing side effects?

Wishing us all side effect free days

• GraceFrancis
    GraceFrancis Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi KimCee,

I was on Arimidex only 2 weeks and couldn't move out of bed. Besides the weight gain after radiation and lumpectomy stage 1, it stays in your body. Now as of April 25, 2018, the oncologist put me on Letrozole. Well same crap happened on day 20. Stopped meds Monday 4/30/18 and is scheduled to see oncolgist next Wednesday. Legs are a mess and feet. In addition, I am 61 years old and teach High School in NJ,. I am on my feet all day. I will have to find when I visit FLA to see my children an oncolgist either in Boca area or Miami. Keep in touch

GraceFrancis

• KimCee
    KimCee Member Posts: 170
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi Gracie,

I am from NJ and moved to Florida two years ago. I can't imagine teaching HS in NJ while going through these treatments. You will be able to find a great oncologist in the area you mentioned. My treatment protocol down here is the same as my previous cancer center in Hackensack. So I feel comfortable with my treatment plan. Hope the AIs treat you better!!! Yes, keep in touch

• GraceFrancis
    GraceFrancis Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi Kim Cee,

I appreciate any oncologist you find an oncologist in Boca or Miami. My son is 25 and lives in Delray. My 29 year old daughter lives in Miami. Glad to connect and keep in touch. Wednesday is back to the oncologist to see 3rd meds. As of today, I am walking better and less burning in legs and feet

GraceFrancis

• alwaysbepositive
    alwaysbepositive Member Posts: 28
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hey ladies,

I have been taking Arimidex since 4/5/18 and I've been having some weird SE along with the typical hot flashes, no libido,and sleep issues. I have developed rashes on my inner ankles, back, abdomen, and elbow pit on one arm. My skin is crazy itchy and strangely not on the rash places. My joints so far haven't hurt, but my bone mets are really painful lately. My vision is all the sudden worse and my left eye in particular has changed. I know it sounds weird, but it feels like the shape of my eye has changed because my left contact doesn't fit my eye anymore and I have never had any contact issues for 20 years. But the most frustrating SE I have lately are brain issues. I feel like I am not myself, lost, 2 steps behind, and a weird anxiety that I've never had before. Foggy and distant. I am assuming it's from the Arimidex, but my body has gone through a lot of changes over the last year with all the drugs and surgeries that it's hard to say what anything is from.

Has anyone else had anything similar?

• alwaysbepositive
    alwaysbepositive Member Posts: 28
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hey ladies,

I have been taking Arimidex since 4/5/18 and I've been having some weird SE along with the typical hot flashes, no libido,and sleep issues. I have developed rashes on my inner ankles, back, abdomen, and elbow pit on one arm. My skin is crazy itchy and strangely not on the rash places. My joints so far haven't hurt, but my bone mets are really painful lately. My vision is all the sudden worse and my left eye in particular has changed. I know it sounds weird, but it feels like the shape of my eye has changed because my left contact doesn't fit my eye anymore and I have never had any contact issues for 20 years. But the most frustrating SE I have lately are brain issues. I feel like I am not myself, lost, 2 steps behind, and a weird anxiety that I've never had before. Foggy and distant. I am assuming it's from the Arimidex, but my body has gone through a lot of changes over the last year with all the drugs and surgeries that it's hard to say what anything is from.

Has anyone else had anything similar?

• Nancy618
    Nancy618 Member Posts: 318
    edited May 2018
    Options

One of the main reasons I went off Arimidex besides the constant pain was that I didn't care about anything, didn't want to do anything, lost interest in my hobbies etc. It was like a form of depression. I've been on 3 different AIs and they have all had side effects, but I think Arimidex was the worst. I'm to the point where I am thinking of giving up on them altogether.

• diharp
    diharp Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi Nancy,

I am in the same boat. I did go off of the anastrozole, my vision was getting to the point I could not drive. Not sure if that was a good choice but hey I can see again. Go back in June for a checkup. I guess I will wait and see. I have been off the meds since March 1st.

I just want normal back if there is such a thing anymore.

Love, Hope and Faith

• 2FUN
    edited May 2018
    Options

I'm in the same boat. On letrozole for almost 9 months and just couldn't take it. Was off for 3 weeks, and by the first week I had some joy back, and pain almost gone. Went on exemestane for 3 weeks I was in more pain and deeper depression. So I've been off for 2 weeks and I still have severe joint pain. I'll see MO.on a few weeks . I'm only 55, and had another cancer right after BC was diagnosed. I'd love to minimize my recurrence, but it's tough. I'm jelous of those folks without SEs

• Nancy618
    Nancy618 Member Posts: 318
    edited May 2018
    Options

My MO put me back on Letrozole actually at my suggestion. It was the first AI I had and was on it only 3 weeks. I thought maybe the reaction I had was because it was the first one and didn't give it enough time. . But after last night I remembered why I was such a mess on it... I sleep 4 to 5 hours and then awake feeling jittery, mind racing and tingly on my arms, like anxiety. I won't be able to take this. Actually, of all 3, Aromasin caused the least side effects, I think. Yet they're all awful. I've decided to order CBD oil and give it a try.

• murfy
    edited June 2018
    Options

Was curious that I have more hair on my face than usual AND a libido again. Turns out Aromasin is a weak androgen! Has anyone else noticed androgen-like side effects?

Laura

• feelingfeline
    edited June 2018
    Options

Facial hair yes. Libido no, just the opp, no libido. Can we swap? Winking

• murfy
    edited June 2018
    Options

FF, after having been libido-less for more than a decade, this has been a welcome change!

Noticed you have been on Aromasin for 3 yrs (vs my 3 months), does the facial hair remain the same, get thicker, etc? Have there been changes in your cholesterol? Just curious what to expect....and thank you for sharing.

Laura

• feelingfeline
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi Laura,

well I can give you encouragement re facial hair, it didn't get any worse with time in my experience.

I am afraid I tackle it (daily) so that probably hasn't helped!

Cholesterol I have no clue. Libido thing is so funny, tamoxifen somewhat diminished it but exemestane switched it off completely. If I wake up and feel a bit randy I instantly know I have forgotten to take the tablet the day before SillyHeart One thing it really has taught me is I am not who I though t I was! Some of that stuff I thought was "me" was just hormones! I am definitely more than "just hormones".

XXX

Susanna

• murfy
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hug<3

• Canela
    Canela Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2018
    Options

So I now have high cholesterol for the first time in my life. I'm so annoyed by this.

On the wrist pain front, my MO thinks it's unlikely to be aromasin related only because I'd have systemic joint pain, not just the one wrist. I'm seeing a physical therapist tomorrow--hopefull they'll be able to help.

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771
    edited July 2018
    Options

Canela...just for the record I completely disagree with your doc. Many of us have pain in only one joint due to aromatase inhibitors. I do not understand why MOs commonly deny the side effects of the drugs they are prescribing. Maybe if they were open to it, a discussion could take place about how to deal with it. When they deny, the communication is just shut down. Good luck to all.

• chtease
    chtease Member Posts: 8
    edited July 2018
    Options

This is such a trivial and stupid problem given what everyone else is dealing with but hair goes...

I've been on exemestane (aromasin) for 2 1/2 years. The side effects are mostly tolerable except whenever I exercise for more than 30 minutes, I sweat like crazy for about 2 hours afterward. (Showering doesn't help. Thanks BC.) My hair has always been wavy. If I spend 30 minutes blowing it dry, it looks great until I exercise and then I turn into Roseanne Roseannadanna. Really. I've tried at least $300 in anti-frizz shampoos and conditioners. I can't have a collagen treatment because my hair is so fragile. (Thanks BC.) Anyone else found a solution to control the dry-frizzy-out of control bad hair days? (I did not have chemo.)

• Runrcrb
    Runrcrb Member Posts: 202
    edited July 2018
    Options

chtease- i have adopted my curly hair. Search for the book Curly Girls ( I think that’s thename). It’s all about curly hair and embracing it rather than fighting. Frizz is part of the fight. Search my contributions and there is a wig conversion in why I posted before during after and now hair shots.

I too feel as though I sweat longer after a workout than I did.

• feelingfeline
    edited July 2018
    Options

swimming in sweat is a form of exercise SickTired

• 2FUN
    edited July 2018
    Options

I use Pantene hair gel for curly hair. When my hair is wet I put a dime sized glop in my hands, rub my hands together then lightly rub into my upside down head/hair. Then I use the blow drier to dry/style. When I go exercise all I do is hit it again with the hairdryer and it smooths right out. Look for curly hair products even if you are only wavy/frizzie

• anna-33
    anna-33 Member Posts: 108
    edited July 2018
    Options

I have used aromasin for almost a year....feels like increasing bonepain in my spine, hips, femurs.... Anyone else? It is symetrically so I do not belive it is mets...

• feelingfeline
    edited July 2018
    Options

2FUN I second that on the curly products, still working off my stock of Avon curly shampoo and conditioner. Will be sorry to finish it as there is no more Avon in Ireland.

• Runrcrb
    Runrcrb Member Posts: 202
    edited July 2018
    Options

bliss58,

I read your post from April. Are you still having trouble sleeping? Won’t bore you with details but i was able to confirm that aromasin was the driver of my insomnia. I take it when i get up each morning and almost immediately started sleeping through the night.

If I have trouble sleeping 2 nights in a row, i take ambien for three nights and that gets me back on track. But taking aromasin in the morning was the real trick for me.