Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Kicking LEs butt!! Exercise & Self Care Log

Options

Comments

• BeckySharp
    BeckySharp Member Posts: 465
    edited April 2012
    Options

Janis--If I don't wear a swell spot on my right breast at night my trunk is swollen in the am.  I also cannot sleep on my right side or I will swell.  That is what I miss the most--sleeping on my right side.   I woke up with my jovipak arm up in the air and decided it looked like the Loch Ness monster coming out of the lake!  LOL

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2012
    Options

Becky......I have no idea what a swell spot is?  Guessing foam or something....I do have a piece my LE therapist gave me to wear inside the surgical bras that I wear.  She told me I do not have to sleep in those bras.  I need to clarify some things with her Monday when I go for my last appointment.  What do you sleep in at night?  Maybe I should be wearing those bras to sleep in.  How do you keep from rolling onto your right side at night? 

I am, as always, perpetually confused!  Undecided

• carol57
    carol57 Member Posts: 1,550
    edited April 2012
    Options

My standard poodle Remy could never be a training role model (or more accurately, I could never be a trainer role model), but I did figure out that I could use an extra-long leash and put it around my waist just by looping the hook end through the handle loop. That was very helpful when I was working with him using a clicker in one hand and using the other hand to dip into the treat pouch.  I had not thought of that strategy to accommodate LE, but it would certainly work, letting the hand guide without taking the weight of any pulling.  Sigh.  Remy still pulls too often.  And he becomes stone deaf at the sight of a squirrel.  But we love him anyway!  Here he is explaining the facts of life to a frog that regularly tortured Remy from the safety of a swimming pool Remy is not allowed to go into.

• carol57
    edited April 2012
    Options

Janis, I am always confused.  LE confuses and confounds.  Just when you think you have figured out how to put it in its proper place, it finds another way to surprise you. 

Consistent MLD does truly help.  I think part of the problem being consistent is that I do it best unclothed, of course, and that's easiest when it's part of my bedtime routine or on waking up. But on waking up, I'm often feeling pressured to get to work, and at bed time, I'm often dog tired and just want to hit the pillow.  You really have to go out of your way to do MLD. I think it takes some special discipline to stay consistent, even knowing the benefits of doing so.

Reporting in here on MLD does encourage consistency!

Carol

• justmejanis
    edited April 2012
    Options

Carol.....Remy is gorgeous!  I absolutely love standard poodles.  My favorite aunt had one when I was growing up and she was such a wonderful dog.  I love my Golden's...but boy the hair!  Remy looks like he is having ball with his froggie!  How funny!

I have an MRI tomorrow on my neck, and my doctor is referring me to a GYN for my other issues.  Whew!  Hopefully that will be resolved soon.  Hard to focus on LE with so many other things going on!

• kira
    kira Member Posts: 659
    edited November 2014
    Options

Dawn-Hope, as you might tell by my avatar, I like shepherd mixes. And my dogs tend to pull as well. I haven't tried the harness, but I'd much prefer it. My current dog is half aussie/half shepherd, and really is pretty good on the leash, but she's almost 8 now. She's so darn smart--I'm sure she wishes she lived with an owner who would challenge her more.

I'm a big dog person too, but my daughter adopted a "sato" dog from Puerto Rico, and she is 13 lb of attitude: big dog attitude. We watch her when they go away, and she doesn't have that small dog mentality. She looks like a mini-English setter.

I can't seem to make the photo smaller--but as you can see, my dog wears a choke collar--which I hate--and rarely put on her. I think she'd do much better in a harness.

I am the bug today: recovering from the colonoscopy.

Great observation about the cumulative effect.

Photobucket" mce_src="" alt="" border="" hspace="" vspace="" width="" height="" align="" />

• carol57
    edited April 2012
    Options

Janis, we just love our poodle, and the bonus is that he does not shed.  That's why we have him; our last three dogs, spanning more than thirty years, were world class shedders, and I just had enough of dog hair swirling about my ankles.  And he has a fabulous personality: Every day I see that he takes great joy in being a dog! 

We had a whole summer of watching a family of frogs taunt Remy.  Sometimes he would catch one as it bounded for the water, but oddly he always let the frog out of his mouth. Then the frog went to the bottom of the pool, seemingly to plot his revenge, coming up some five or so minutes later and staying just as you see him in this photo--tantalizingly close to the dog, staring straight into Remy's eyes, while Remy yammered at the frog to vacate the premises.  Frogs apparently have nerves of steel!

Good luck tomorrow on the MRI and its findings, and on other issues you are dealing with.  It's easy to see why your focus might be tested these days.  Do keep us posted.

Carol

• justmejanis
    edited April 2012
    Options

Carol thanks for the high five's.  Remy sounds perfect and playing those froggie games is too funny.  Having Golden Retriever's, I sure understand the hair issue.  We are really good about keeping them brushed, but still ,the hair is always an issue.  They shed so much.  We always talk about when they are gone, what would we do?  I cannot bear the thought of losing them and just not sure.  A small dog seems more practical, but I love a big dog I can hug.  I would love a standard poodle.  As I mentioned earlier, I grew up near one.  She was so smart and fun.  I am not thinking about it now though.

The other issue is a female issue that has to have surgery to correct.  My doctor is going to refer me to a gynecologist.  Basically it feels like my guts are falling out, that is what I always call it.  I had a hysterectomy many years ago and now my colon has moved into.......well, you know.  I have had this condition for eight years and am so done.  It has to be done  Hoping soon!

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Just home from a day trip a couple of hours north (and several thousand feet up in altitudeFrown) to a National Monument in the high desert. Gorgeous spring day, desert in bloom, lots of uphill climbs -- all good!

Had kids and two Goldendoodle dogs along, helping to distract shocked attention from my LE get-up. On the drive up (and for an hour or so after arriving) I wore bilateral Solaris sleeves and vest, which of course the staring public has never seen before. YOU all thought those confounded sleeves look like oven mitts, but I'm here to tell you they look to others like attack-dog-training gearSurprised. And if you've ever seen a Goldendoodle, even a very large one, you'll know how ludicrous that is. So, kind of a fun day confounding on-lookers.KissLaughing

No LE disasters, despite the altitude changes (YES!). A good time was had by all. (Whew!)
    Binney

• carol57
    edited April 2012
    Options

Binney, maybe you need to adopt some raptors...the gear would look more plausible for that!

SO glad you didn't have altitude gremlins!

Dogs are such good friends!  And they simply do not care if arms are in giant potholders or whatever we think they look like.

I worked out today with my beloved trainer, and I did some early morning MLD, but in hurry mode. My cardio was pretty limited; did some fun things with DH but mostly cardio was limited to 15 minutes treadmill warmup before weight lifting, plus a 90-step walk up from the lake below our house.  It made me breathe a bit hard, but it wasn't really long enough to say it did me any good.  Except, of course, watching the wood ducks squawk and flee as I approached at one point in my upwards climb!

Carol

• BeckySharp
    edited April 2012
    Options

Janis--So many have weighed in since you asked me about swell spot.  I got a Solaris one that I wear under a bra at night as I tend to slightly swell during the day.  If you go to their site you can see different kinds.  Your therapist should be able to help you.  I wear a jovipak on my arm at night.  It tends to keep me from rolling onto my right side.  It did take awhile to learn not to roll to that side.  Good luck with MRI.  Keep us posted.

Wow what a dog show we are  having.  And such elegant looking ones!  You all are tempting me into getting one.  Our dog shelter is only a mile away. 

My company leaves in a short while so I am going to do it all today.  It is only going to be 70 degrees so may try for a 10 mile walk at the dam.  If I commit to saying it here right now I am more likely to do it.  Have done one MLD and getting ready for weights then Lebeds. 

Dyed Easter eggs with two three yr olds yesterday (godgrandaughter and great nephew).  Such fun!!!  Still have dye on my hands.  Then we went to a wooden structure park to let them run off their energy.  I think after a year of upheaval I am back to a new norm.

• kira
    edited April 2012
    Options

I have had the good fortune to meet Binney's beloved dogs and I fell in love with them: they're working dogs, so you shouldn't mess with them, but I couldn't reist. They are smart and kind and invaluable.

Ironically, the little sato dog shed more than my shepherd mix, and shepherds do shed that undercoat.

Try to slowly get back on track today: definitely MLD. 

Becky, the easter eggs sound great, and so glad your new norm is a wonderful one, full of good friends, family, work in moderation, amazing weight loss and exercise.

Kira

• Tina337
    Tina337 Member Posts: 516
    edited April 2012
    Options

Okay, checking in. I have been diligent with compression, and my new Assets by Spanx tank is really doing an excellent job on the side of my trunk and very comfortable. Internal shelf bra lies flat and elastic does not roll, bind or prevent LE flow. The arm holes are almost a little loose, which is a welcome relief since my other tanks cut just a tad at times. Extra long length doesn't ride up or bunch around tummy. Downside, because it has widely set straps and a slightly higher neckline and back, is that it is visible under certain tops. Could be more noticeable because it's white, and I normally would wear black or nude under tops I tried. I have yet to find a garment that is perfect for every outfit, so for the super comfort, I'll gladly add it to the rotation. I can't wear the same one everyday anyway, as some part will start to rub and bother me even if it's usually fine.

On to the accountability part. I haven't done my steps or hilly walking for two days. I guess I should count my walk with my friend on Thurs, but it really wasn't aerobic. Half-ass with MLD, but doing node clearing, deep breathing, fist pumping several times a day. Not feeling like the bug, but things are rather chaotic right now and I haven't made the extra effort to allow time for proper MLD and exercise. I know I will get back on track - definitely still committed to good self care and exercise. I will probably do steps later tonight. Husband is arriving home this evening.

Sorry to be popping in and out without commenting much on conversation, but I am glad to hear your procedure went well, Kira.

• carol57
    edited April 2012
    Options

Becky, I don't want to let your 'after a year of upheaval, back to a new norm' observation go without celebration!  'New' norm is always a puzzle to try to figure out, but feeling like you've turned the corner on upheaval:  fabulous! 

Tina, I hope that when your DH is back home, you'll feel like life is a bit back to normal, and routines that have been tough to keep can be re-established.  Hang in there--you ARE committed and that's clear.  We'll look forward to a good exercise/care report from you soon.

Back on track sounds like a worthy goal for you too, Kira, after you shake the depleted feeling that we all experience after a colonoscopy.  I do hope the holiday weekend nourishes body and spirit to get you motivated for more activity.

I spent five hours in the glorious outdoors doing garden work.  Not aerobic, but I'm worn out from stem to stern, so I officially declare that this morning's 30-minute 2-miles-of-intervals Sansone DVD was enough cardio for the day!  I still owe myself more MLD, however and will not skip it tonight.

Carol

• carol57
    edited April 2012
    Options

Kira, Here's a strange question that occurred to me when I came inside from my gardening hours. We live in the woods, literally, and on a very large lake. Mosquitos, ticks, bees/wasps, spiders...it's one big insect-bite minefield. The bugs aren't out in force yet, and it wasn't too hot to cover up completely today, but before too long, I guess I'll need to bathe in bug repellant.

So my question, as we've been chatting about dogs here:  Why isn't there a product for humans similar to the Canine Advantage product we put on our dogs to prevent flea bites? It also works for ticks, although I my vet once told me it does not repel ticks, but kills them before they have enough time to transmit bacteria into the dog.  The thought of such a systemic drug is horrid, and I really don't think such a thing exists for people.  But wouldn't it be nice to have alternatives beside covering up head to toe, or bathing in deet? 

Carol

• kira
    edited April 2012
    Options

Carol, there is peremhrin clothing that will repel and lasts through a number of washes. I can't see how it's really all that different than spraying yourself with repellent.

My horse used permethrin based products in his fly spray, and it's in AdvantixII. We have so many fleas here that I use Frontline through the winter, but had to go to Advantix for the summer as the fleas were just crawling all over my dog with the Frontline on--although I had only started it about 4 weeks prior.

I bought some stuff to spray in the yard, but never did it.

Once, Kane who used to post here, posted about a relatvely cheap mosquito netting suit to wear outdoors.

It's the bane of summer: the hardest season for LE, with heat and bugs.

Kira

• carol57
    edited April 2012
    Options

Kira,  Are B vitamins toxic in high doses?  When I was pregnant all those decades ago, I realized that mosquitos did not bother me, for once in my life.  OB told me it was the high B concentration in prenatal vitamins, and so the next year, I started taking them a few months prior to mosquito season. I had read somewhere that it takes time to build up what is apparently an odor that the bugs don't like.  I'll spend some time looking into current thinking on B vitamins as a mosquito repellent, but of course, the first question is, is it safe?

I have a netting suit--for river kayaking, although mostly if we keep moving, the mosquitos don't seem to chase us.  Also, we soak a tiny rag in lavendar oil and clip it to the front of the kayak, so that air current picks up the scent.  The mosquitos don't seem to like that smell.  I tried a similar strategy using natural-lavendar scented candles in our gazebo, but nah...not enough scent. The building is screened, but they still can get in from the floor (and just find their way in no matter what!).  Maybe this year I'll look for something stronger in lavendar.  I hate wearing or smelling insect repellent.  I really want to find a more natural solution.

Did you feast with family, Kira?  Bet you had some delicious traditional foods!!

Carol

• carol57
    edited April 2012
    Options

Sigh...both Snopes.com and Wickipedia say taking B vitamins does not work as a mosquito repellent. Wickipedia cites a study.   Drat! 

• Tina337
    edited April 2012
    Options

Carol, I have been meaning to ask a friend of mine the name of the insect repellant she uses, but I know it contains neem and a few other natural scents. Smells nice, not like you've bathed in patchouli. She is particular and checks on things, and I trust her recommendations, and she says it works. Doesn't have deet. I have searched and learned you can buy neem oil and add to other lotions and other body products. It is supposed to be safe and actually healthy to apply to skin. So, this is what I am going to use this summer, but I don't know the precise product. I will ask her. After three years of deet, I am done. Tired of having to shower to get the darn stuff off. Meanwhile, you can google and find out all kinds of things neem is used for. Yes, it can be used for gardening. I need to learn more about how it works and whether it is something BC women need to avoid, but as far as I know, it is not an issue. I am also interested in the anti-inflammatory aspect of if.

• Tina337
    edited April 2012
    Options

I think some of the other scents included in her spray included tea tree oil, eucalyptus, lavender.

• carol57
    edited April 2012
    Options

Thanks, Tina.  I'll investigate neem, too.  It's a new one to me!  We can compare notes on what we learn.

• BeckySharp
    edited April 2012
    Options

A beautiful day in my area.  Walked out at the dam 16,000 steps. 

Carol--Someone last summer said to use Listerine to repel.  I have not tried it.  Since I was wrapped most of last summer and it was very hot here I did not go out much and just used Off when I did.  I will try to find all of the info that was given at that time.

• carol57
    edited April 2012
    Options

Becky, I see that you bumped that mosquito thread--thank you!

Today I did a 45 minute Leslie Sansone DVD before Easter dinner, and then DH and I did three miles with the dog in a park, in 50 minutes. Wish I could say this was enough to cancel the food I ate today! MLD in a few minutes, then to bed. I have been skimping on sleep lately and I don't think that helps LE any. I have persistent arm ache lately, no notable swelling, but the lingering ache makes me think maybe I should wear my sleeve more. I'm hoping for a sleep cure instead!

Carol

• olearca
    olearca Member Posts: 65
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend celebrating spring, Easter or Passover. Kira, way to go on that young colon! Here's hoping you are back from the prep and feeling strong.

I'm not quite a bug but not feeling like a windshield either. Did lots of city walking this weekend and compression and hydration, but slacked on the MLD. Was in a hotel room with family and just couldn't find the time or solace to do MLD. Wasn't sure it was doing anything but it must be since not doing it seems to have resulted in new forearm swelling and pain.

Tina, happy to hear your mom is doing better and kudos to your wonderful DH.

Becky, I ditto what carol said about your new normal and embracing celebration of it.

Thanks for all the mosquito info. I'm already sad thinking of all the reasons my LE impacts my favorite time of year. Ok, enough whining, off to move. Have a great day everyone.

• Tina337
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Becky, I wanted to back up and congratulate you on feeling a sense of new normal. That really is a big deal! And, you had a great walk at the dam!

Carol, great going with the gardening, DVD, and walking. Hope catching up on sleep is the cure for your achy arm.

Catherine, sounds like a difficult setting to practice MLD this weekend. Sorry you are having some new pain and swelling. My recent new swelling with my arm was focused mainly in the forearm area, so I feel your pain.

Didn't post the past two days, but I deserve credit! Day before yesterday, compression all day, 550 steps, 200 bounces with arms straight up, trunk MLD at bed. Yesterday morning I did node clearing, compression all day, 550 steps, 200 bounces, and full MLD after. Really pushing myself to get totally back on board.

This morning I did MLD. I have my workout clothes on, ready to take a walk, and guess what? FedEx just delivered my custom sleeve and glove! I was so excited that I tried the glove on, and . . . Oh, my word! It fits like a dream! The part above my wrist feels snug, but not too snug, but I am wondering what it will feel like with the sleeve. So happy to have a glove with fingers that extend to just above the nail bed! I know, it's a small thing, but I have been pulling on the fingers of the other gloves, and all it does is stretch them out. I guess I better try the sleeve before I get completely jazzed.

Yesterday I bought three delicates bags for laundering compression and arm wrapping stuff. Will probably sew small channels for the finger gauze. Can't recall who suggested this idea, but I really appreciate!
  • Tina337
    edited April 2012
    Options

Okay, I am having a hard time donning this sleeve. Not used to the Elvarex fabric, and it is a fight. My therapist said I could try if it arrived before next session. Seam is supposed to be below inner arm? I don't know the medical descriptions of the body. I think she said the elbow seaming should point to bend in inner arm. I can see where cap is supposed to be at top of sleeve, but I feel that I am not putting it on just right or straight. Worried the sleeve is going to be tight where glove overlaps. I tried to google for images, and the ones I found are not helpful. Any tips or clear pics of where seam goes?

• BeckySharp
    edited April 2012
    Options

Tina--My seam on my Jobst Elvarex goes down (or up) the outside of my arm.  I match it to the seam on my glove.  When I get a new one it is really tight and I have to fight to get it on.  If you are still having difficulty this evening PM me your email and I will send you a picture of mine.  

• Tina337
    edited April 2012
    Options

Thank you, Becky. I am giving it a rest for now, as all the on/off friction was a bit much. Will try again in a little while. Makes sense to line up seam with seam on glove.

• Tina337
    edited April 2012
    Options

Holy, smokes!! My vest arrived, too!! Locked and loaded!  Cool 

Edited: Okay, still fumbling with ammunition, so I guess I'm not completely "armed" yet. Tongue out 

• carol57
    edited April 2012
    Options

Tina, You are the windshield today!!!!!  Put those new compression duds on and send some bugs splattering off into the sky!