Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Kicking LEs butt!! Exercise & Self Care Log

Options

Comments

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited March 2012
    Options

Definitely more windshield today!Smile I got up with my chest still hurting (both sides) and for some reason wrapping my arm seemed like a good idea. I thought about it and couldn't think of a single reason why wrapping my ARM would make my CHEST feel better, but it still seemed good, so I did it. The relief was almost instant, and I've been typing all morning with no further pain. (Except on my right side, which is not unusual. So I just went and wrapped that arm too and am hoping it'll help. We'll see.)

I'm wearing a Solaris night vest with a chocolate bar (the foam kind) stuffed under the right side, and have both arms wrapped, so I haven't been doing much activity. But of course exercising while wrapped is especially helpful for the swelling, so I'm going to quit typing and go for a walk. Maybe I'll even jog, but not real likely. Slow and easy! I have to keep reminding myself the tortoise won.Undecided

Stupid LE!Frown
    Binney

Edited to add: Oh, wait! I almost forgot! I get credit for doing Lebed this morning too -- and I need all the credit I can get.

• carol57
    carol57 Member Posts: 1,550
    edited March 2012
    Options

Tina, I see a superwoman in your report. 11:30 pm and you do 400 stair steps????? The ball bouncing, to boot.  That's dedication to the LE cause!  And talking with a good friend for hours is therapeutic no matter what ill you're trying to cure.  I'd say your LE day was unconventional, but highly effective.

Carol

• carol57
    edited March 2012
    Options

And Binney, typing without the newer pain is such a relief to all of us, because we feel so responsible for all the typing assignments you give yourself.  Glad to hear you are back in action, and I hope that walk/jog felt very, very satisfying.

• BeckySharp
    BeckySharp Member Posts: 465
    edited March 2012
    Options

Binney--So we are into credits???  I guess the more credits we accrue the more likely we keep the LE at bay!  And into chocolate foam? 

Tina--Wow.  11:30? I would have given up.  Good for you!

Did my 2 MLDs, Lebeds, weights, and 30 min on recumbent bike.  Now to get into jovipak.

• carol57
    edited March 2012
    Options

I had a great exercise day today! 5.25 miles on the pedometer, of which 3.75 done on a treadmill with lots of fast internals, as I'm trying to work up to some running without gasping for air. Then an hour of weight/flexibility/balance training with a trainer, and sweetheart that he is, he pushed me pretty hard today, so I feel wonderfully worn out.  He is very creative about changing up the lifts while respecting my PAL needs, so the workouts are both interesting and safe.

And today is my wedding anniversary - 14 years - which DH and I will celebrate this weekend, as he works a few hours a way M-Th each week. It's a happy day, and maybe that's why I felt like I had very light feet in the gym!  MLD on the agenda for bedtime, and I wore the compression extra long after my workout, thinking I'd pushed myself a bit so a little extra precaution wouldn't hurt.

Tina, when you bounce on the ball, for how long do you do it?

Carol

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited March 2012
    Options

Binney - I don't have truncal edema, but I can tell you that if I try to go without my sleeve for very long, I feel it in my upper arm, chest and upper back! If I wear my sleeve - no issue with the trunk. Yes, interesting phenomenon. I am sorry for all the rib issues you have going on. NOT fun. Many hugs.

• Tina337
    Tina337 Member Posts: 516
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Back on track today. MLD, compression tank, 400 steps, ab exercises, stretching, ball bouncing. Feeling like the windshield again.

Carol, I just count to 100 bounces. If I didn't have my arms up, I could go much longer. I should sit and bounce while watching TV. I have a bunch of exercises for the ball that I am slowly getting back into. They are so efficient with exercising the torso, all of those stabilizer muscles. Years ago I poo pooed the ball, but my first PT had me using and it made me a believer. I threw out her moves that stressed my arms and chest.
  • Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780
    edited March 2012
    Options

Thanks for the info on the ball. I'm going to try it. Do you have your arms raised over your head, or at shoulder level?

I did Lebed this morning, worked out with my trainer for an hour, did my stretches and massage tonight.

I've been a good girl today but still swollen. It's the weather....storms.

• BeckySharp
    edited March 2012
    Options

Congratulations on your milestone Carol.  You also inspired me to push more today after hearing about your day yesterday.  I have done morning MLD and am now going to do an hour on the elliptical as intensely as I can.  You should see me at resistance of 10.  It looks like I am walking in deep sand.  Will then do Lebed and off to work.  I do teach a class tonight so have to get all but night MLD done early. 

Tina--Haven't thought about being on stability ball while watching TV.  Will do so.  As I do it between sets on weights I pump my arm while on it. 

• Laural
    Laural Member Posts: 212
    edited March 2012
    Options

KS1,

I have been using kinesiotape on either side of my mastectomy scar on the lymphedema side, as well as on the upper arm (tape anchored at posterior side of upper humerus then cut into 4 fan strips reaching down to elbow over the back of the arm. It has worked very well to keep the area more open and draining. I am also seeing a PT for additional lymphedema work, and a myofascial release therapist. With the combo, my arm is quieting back down and swelling is diminishing. I wear the tape 24/7, including exercise times. The tape stays on for 3 to 5 days, then I change it out. I don't even notice that it is there and it is working all day (and night) long. I much prefer it to the compression sleeve and so far have been able to use the tape just by itself with no additional wrapping.

• olearca
    olearca Member Posts: 65
    edited March 2012
    Options

Off to start my morning routine.  You have all inspired me this week.  I'm on Day 4 of actually "doing this".  yeah!  I got my ball out and reinflated and ready to go.  Off to up my cardio this morning to add an extra mile. 

Carol, a very Happy Anniversary to you!! 

Here's to a windshield day for all of us!!

Catherine

• carol57
    edited March 2012
    Options

Catherine,  Good for you to be 'doing this' --four days is just great.  Don't they say it takes fifteen or sixteen days to establish a new good habit?  In which case, you are 25% there! 

Becky, the image of walking in deep sand is so accurate. I prefer to increase the resistance on the elliptical to get my heart pumping, too, instead of what feels like running around in circles. 

Laural, the tape sounds like such a good solution for you. Being able to go a few days without fiddling with it: what a gift!

I'll be trying some ball bouncing today.  I wonder if it's possible to be the Hulk while on the ball?

Carol

• Tina337
    edited March 2012
    Options
    A belated Happy Anniverary, Carol! Happy Day 4, Catherine!

Windshield day! MLD, compression tank with inserts and glove. WATER! Walked outside for 50 min, did the steep route again. Arrggggh! I am so out of shape cardio-wise. I am doing it, though. Completed ball bouncing and some ab work to come shortly. Going to do MLD and wrap arm for practice. Will sleep in it tonight if it feels right.

Dawne, I keep my ams raised straight above my head while bouncing. Holding your arms that way and bouncing requires you to tuck your pelvis and flex your lower abs to keep good posture and balance. It feels great. Becky, arm pumping while bouncing is terrific.

I loved the kinesotape when I had it applied last year. Got great drainage without the compression.
  • carol57
    edited March 2012
    Options

We've all been quiet these past hours!  Yesterday I did not report in, and my day was not as successful as some other days.  I managed a 2.5 mile walk and some MLD.  Today will be better on the exercise front, as I have a gym appointment so built-in commitment to make time for exercise. While I'm there, there's never an excuse not to do cardio work, too.  I'll be trying that ball-bouncing at home this afternoon, too.

• Tina337
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Finished yesterday with ab exercises and MLD. Did not wrap. Healthy dinner, low salt. I am closely watching this, as when my body is already on overload, salty food can increase my symptoms and discomfort. Water helps, but it's not enough.

Setting myself up for a windshield day. Have done MLD and wearing compression. Appt with therapist for wrapping review. Plan to walk outside again, as it is sunny and will be close to 60.
  • BeckySharp
    edited March 2012
    Options

Did am MLD and weights.  Then I just could not face the Lebed DVD.  I pulled out the Norton exercises given to me by therapist and did them instead.  It takes 30 min instead of the Lebed 25 but it was a change.  I had planned to go to the dam but thunderstorms are brewing.  Sigh.... I have decided an hour on the elliptial instead.  MLD is becoming so routine that I daydream and forget where I am in the process.  Does this happen to anyone else?  Maybe I need to set it to music.

• kira
    kira Member Posts: 659
    edited March 2012
    Options

Becky, I have a sheet of the Norton exercises, and whip through them in 5 minutes. Hmmm. Maybe I'm not getting the full benefit???

Was good yesterday, today, saw my amazingly wonderful LE therapist, so she did the MLD, but it's beautiful warm and sunny, so I plan to read on the deck. I'll try and get in some exercise.

Kira

• olearca
    edited March 2012
    Options

Yesterday I was the windshield! Clocked 2.5 miles of vigorous cardio, plus ball bouncing (it's just plain FUN, thanks Tina), MLD, and three stretching sessions. Dark chocolate for medicinal purposes. Good sleep. Thanks for cheering me on for day 4, it really keeps me motivated.

Today, couldn't get my am walk/run in as I had routine onc visit. I was a bit bowled over by him as he told me that after careful study and lots of consideration they've decided that there were micro mets in my SNB and I should be taking tamoxifen. I know it's not the worst thing, but I'm so unhappy about it. I'm not looking forward to sudden chemopause. He reminded me that i have little kids and i need the extra insurance. Anyway, on a good note, he is the kindest dr and he really takes the LE seriously so that was validating.

Off to get in some card now and put these pissy/angry feelings to good use!

• kira
    kira Member Posts: 659
    edited March 2012
    Options

Olearca, I've been on tamoxifen for 3.5 years, and it's prolonged my peri-menopause. I was recently reading about clomid--the fertility drug they use for annovulatory women--and it has some similar effects to tamoxifen.

So, tamoxifen can induce ovulation, weirdly enough. My gyn keeps telling me that despite my age-53--if I still have periods on tamoxifen, I need to consider that I could get pregnant--cut me a break! 

I've always heard that 1/3 have regular periods on it, 1/3 have irregular and 1/3 have none. I think that must also be age dependent.

So sorry that you have to go down that road, but personally, I've found it tolerable.

Were they doing immuno stains and going over path?? 

Hope you burn off the upset with cardio. Me, I'm the bug today

Kira

• carol57
    edited March 2012
    Options

Olearca, how distressing! A routine onc visit that didn't turn out to be so routine. No one could be prepared for that, so of course you're unhappy.  It's amazing that there are drugs available to serve this purpose, but what comes along for the ride just seems so unfair. With luck you'll tolerate it well and be able to stay on top of stress with the cardio/chocolate combination.  Keep us posted, of course.

Carol

• hugz4u
    hugz4u Member Posts: 1,818
    edited March 2012
    Options

Oh my goodness you have left me in the dust. I was so busy with new tenants comming in and a new program at work, that I shoved my health aside. Naughty me. I promise to do lebeds tonight. I need to get back on the KICK LE BUTT treadmill.

• carol57
    edited March 2012
    Options

Today was a windshield day for me.  I did a 5-mile Leslie Sansone DVD, followed by 30 minutes of somewhat speedy treadmill walking, and then an hour + of weightlifting/balance/flexibility work with my trainer. He feels I do not have full range of motion in my LE-side shoulder, so we worked on that for a while.

I even did Lebed opening!  But I had planned to try the ball bouncing and did not work that in, so tomorrow for that.  Compression while weightlifting, MLD on waking and will do it again before bed.  I feel great today! I think that's the real point, no?

Carol

• Estel
    edited March 2012
    Options

carol57 - It is the point ... good for you!!!  Laughing

I walked a couple of miles yesterday ... did the lymphatic opening on the Lebed in the morning ... it was warm outside, though ... and walking outside when it is over 75 .... doesn't seem to do me any good at all.  Swelling was mediocre last night.

Today I worked out with my trainer for an hour, then went to the gym and did ten minutes on the elliptical and interval training, 20 minutes on the incumbent bike.  Doing the bike does more for me than any other cardio exercise.  Swelling is better tonight.  I'll do my stretches tonight and maybe the Lebed lympathic opening ... but definitely stretches and water  before bed.  Oh, and the ball too ... I love the ball ... makes me feel like a little kid ... Wink  thank you for sharing that tip, ladies!  xo 

• BeckySharp
    edited March 2012
    Options

Wow Carol and Dawne-Hope:  You two were bullet proof windshields yesterday! Way to go.

My goddaughter and her 3 yr old are coming to visit me during their spring break and will arrive tonight.  So I am going to get all done except bedtime MLD before they arrive.  I will do the elliptical for an hour plus MLD exercises.  I have to move myself to a bedroom upstairs tso will be going up and down the stairs quit a bit.  Plus some housecleaning.  That counts right?

We will be going to the zoo tomorrow afternoon, Dollywood Monday, and museum Tuesday so will get some movement in following an active 3 yr old around.  I hope I keep my focus and get up early to get cardio in before we head out each day. 

Well I just wiped off my windshield and am ready to get in action.

• carol57
    edited March 2012
    Options

Becky, Housekeeping counts double 'cause it's in no way fun!!  (And if you're the one person who thinks it's fun, come on up to my house...)  I have a full day of errands before heading back to the airport tomorrow, so my challenge today will be to stop the laser-focus I get when I need to get stuff done, and take time for LE care and exercise. Have a productive day, everyone.

• olearca
    edited March 2012
    Options

Becky, following a 3 year old around sounds like a delightful way to get exercise -especially at the zoo and museum. Fun!! Carol, you sure were the windshield! Way to go. Your trainer sounds so amazing. I am determined to find one and then get them well versed in PALS.

Kira, how interesting and frightening to hear about pregnancy on Tamoxifen. I just realized that it blocks estrogen, doesn't necessarily stop it. Thanks for letting me know you're managing on it.

So it is pouring rain in NY and cold. I'm going to have to figure out an indoor routine today. Can't go to the gym as I have my 8 year old to watch. Dad and boys are out of town. Looks like it's videos and the "Tina method" of stair climbing. Happy windshield weekend everyone!

• Tina337
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Catherine, I wish the Tamoxifen issue didn't come out of left field. Doesn't seem fair there was no preparation for that discussion. I hope you tolerate it well - at this point you have a head start with getting your body and mind in a good place to handle.

Boy, everybody is flying high! You guys are terrific!

I am behind in my posting, as I have been dealing with some issues around my mother. I'm in PA, she's in FL. I usually visit three or four times a year, but last year with my surgery, I had to limit my travel. I was there in Jan and Nov, and the plan was to go back in Jan or Feb of this year, then two weeks in April. Subtle LE symptoms in arm and lack of trunk garment because of stupid insurance appeal kept me grounded and Jan or Feb trip was cancelled. Arm blew up, and now I am waiting for custom sleeve, glove and night vest (all ordered) and then check for fit. Fine tuning my wrapping skills. So, April trip was postponed to May (verging on too hot for my liking). Husband and I decided he could make a quick trip if necessary. Then about two weeks ago, my mother fell and broke her hip, had hip replacement surgery. Hospital staff said it would be best for us to be there for her rebab, so we were waiting as she settled into rehab. Everything was going well, but now she is having issues about getting out of bed to do PT. Quickly purchased plane ticket for my husband yesterday and he just left for FL to see if he can help motivate and get her in a better frame of mind. I spoke to her and just cried and begged her to get out of bed, as she will deteriorate quickly otherwise and lose that window of opportunity to walk again. She seemed to agree and understand what she needed to do. Some success with PT yesterday, a little bit today so far, and they will continue to go back throughout the day for 10 min intervals of exercise if that is what it takes. It is upsetting that I can't be there for her right now, and I am so glad my husband has a good relationship with her, she really adores him. I hope she doesn't get angry with him visiting - her venom when ticked off is not a pretty site! He has been spared that so far, but he is prepared. She really let loose on the PT's, screaming, swinging at them, threw a sneaker. You get the picture. This is so unlike my mother, but she has slowly changed over the last few years, is 92 now. I just don't want her to end up bedridden when she had been athletic her entire life. It is hard to take. I am only child and my father passed away.

Yesterday was another example of how you never can predict changes to schedule and should do self care when you can. So glad I did MLD in morning, had LE therapy session at 1pm. Never got to walk outside as planned, but made up for exercise in evening with several ball exercises, really worked my torso, bouncing and then sitting on ball and bopping around while I watched TV for an hr. Did the stairs inside, 500 steps. Several rounds of the Hulk in evening, which I really love! Trunk MLD at bed. Slight adjustments to planned routine, but overall self care and exercise-wise, it was a windshield day.

Now today, I need to get myself together so it plays out well. Getting husband off and several conversations re my mother got me off track, but I am working to reverse. Weather is not cooperating, so I will be exercising inside again today.
  • Estel
    edited April 2012
    Options

a funny ....

weekends are work intensive for me and Sundays are horrible swell days for me ... so tonight I decided to take a break and go to the gym ... even if only for 30 minutes ... did the bike ... then was going to bounce on the ball (my ball at home needs some air and I don't have a pump and I need someone to help me air it up because it won't be good for the LE ... can't win ... ) ... anyway .... LOL ... where in the world do I go in the gym to bounce on a ball and no one see me ... they'd think "That girl has completely lost it."  :)  So I went in the corner of the group exercise room and did 150 bounces ... I took a risk tonight ... maybe a foolish one ... and did the cardio without my sleeve and glove ... and I think everything is OK ... my left arm feels a little heavy, though ... so I won't do that again ... but anyway ... a grown woman bouncing on a ball in the gym with arms straight up in the air doing fist bumps ... what are we relegated to ... Tongue out ... made me laugh.  Laughing 

• carol57
    edited April 2012
    Options

Dawne Hope, Let's just dare them to ask!!

Tina, I think you are having to step up to a mighty big plate of life right now.  My own parents have only recently started to have worrisome issues (they're in their early 80s) so I have had only a small preview of what you describe. Worry + distance + LE = big frustration.  I'm so sorry this is all happening when you have so many LE limits imposed on you.  Arrghh!

I had a lovely day, full of sunshine walking and some retail therapy thrown in to boot.  I did manage a 30-minute heart-pumping cardio session and will head to MLD in a few minutes.  My arm does ache, high up under the armpit and well down to the elbow, and I can't think of anything out of the ordinary that triggered it.  Could it have been ambient pressure changes when the morning's cloudy gloom changed to brilliant afternoon sunshine?  I'll be that's it. 

Carol

• Tina337
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Dawne, you've got company bouncing in public, as Becky does it in between sets at her gym. Fist pumping at same time, too. Very little embarrasses us any more, no?

I did not get a lot done today and turned to retail therapy for distraction. I tried on a bunch of compression tanks. Hey, it's part of self care! Much of it was frustrating and irritated my trunk. Didn't even get to check out the UA at the sporting stores. I may do that tomorrow and check Macy's. I was in the bra and sports sections in Kohl's and Boscov's. The Kohl's near me no longer carries the regular Maidenform "Control-It" with shirring. Only have the firm control, which is too tight in my underarm area. I am tiny and a size large makes my underarm area pop out over the edge of garment. Maidenform also had a plain tank in firm control that I hadn't seen before and really liked, but my underarm area was tight in that one, too.

I ended up finding a tank at Boscov's by Spanx called Assets by Sara Blakely. It has a cut to it that reminded me of the two sleeveless dresses I got at TitleNine and reviewed. Has a similar construction, no internal seams that require turning garment inside out. It has a non-shirred shelf bra that is very comfortable - no visible wrinkles, lies flat. The fabric is soft and so comfortable, a nicer quality than regular shapewear. Feels more like a soft cotton with some control, but not heavy or bulky. Since it has a shelf bra, it is double thickness and can be worn as a top. Wide set back and very comfortable in underarm area. I go without prosthetics and think it looks fine with a flat chest. The sweetheart neckline and shirring are flattering. Store only had white in my size, but I found online at Bare Necessities in black and ordered. Haven't tried under different tops yet, but it definitely will work for me in spring and summer with a sweater or jacket. Here it is:

http://www.barenecessities.com/assets-by-sara-blakely-standout-slimmers-tank-top-899_product.htm?pf_id=ASSETSbySaraBlakely899&search=

Oops, it's after 11:30, so it must be time to do the steps!!! Then some bouncing and MLD. Husband arrived in FL so I can exercise all night if I want to!! He visited with my mother, and she was really happy to see him. Wonder if he'll be hit with a shoe by the time he leaves!!