Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Postmenopausal bleeding after stopping tamoxifen

Options
13»

Comments

• Dnice
    Dnice Member Posts: 156
    edited April 2015
    Options

SO HAPPY FOR YOU FARMERLUCY!!! Nothing like a great path report. I second that the straight answers from other women on here are invaluable!

• new2bc
    new2bc Member Posts: 252
    edited May 2015
    Options

I too have seen some spotting lately. I stopped Tamoxifen 5 months ago and now am taking Anastrozole. I looked at the side effects of Anastrozole and it has vaginal bleeding as one of the side effects. I need to see my ob/gyn soon and I will mention this to him.

• coraleliz
    coraleliz Member Posts: 158
    edited May 2015
    Options

Geez! I was hoping to ditch the GYN after I stop tamoxifen

Sad

• LivingLifeNow
    LivingLifeNow Member Posts: 27
    edited May 2015
    Options

Well, two weeks ago I had very slight ovulation-like symptoms again: just a bit of egg whiteish discharge. Today I have slight pinkish discharge. When this all happened back in February, I had a very heavy period for one day followed by six weeks of spotting. During that time I had every GYN test in the book: everything fine except for one uterine polyp. I did have my hormone panel done a few weeks after my "period." It showed me to be post menopausal. However, I wonder if I'd had it done when I was "ovulating" if the results would have been peri-menopausal. I believe the February period was also a post-tamoxifen flushing of the lining, since I had just stopped tamoxifen a few months prior. I am 54 years old and although I could be post menopausal, there is a chance that being on tamoxifen stopped my periods for a few years, but now my body is having a last hurrah! I just wish there were more specific expectations for menopause. Should I see my GYN again, or wait a few months? The only thing left to do is have a hysterectomy!

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited May 2015
    Options

living...was the polyp removed?

• LivingLifeNow
    LivingLifeNow Member Posts: 27
    edited May 2015
    Options

Voraciousreader,

No, it wasn't removed. It was very tiny. My GYN said it would probably go away on its own as I become more post menopausal. Kind of a wait and see thing. I will give it a few more months and see what transpires. Then I can always have another ultrasound with fluid. Or, the pink discharge could have just been from irritated tissue after my hubby and I did our thing this morning....

• DebZ3
    DebZ3 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2015
    Options

This discussion forum has a lot of great information - I've learned much more here than from my onc & gyn. Looks like we have to figure this out together! My situation is so similar. I am 50 and my numbers have indicated I am postmenopausal for about a year. I ended my 5 1/2 years of tamoxifen in March and started Femara 3 weeks later. After having no periods since starting my chemo over 6 years ago, I had bleeding after about a month of being on Femara. Thought it was related to the Femara because my Onc said the Femara sometimes kicks the menstrual cycle back into gear. Stopped taking the Femara, but still having periodic spotting and occasional (biweekly or so) heavy clots when I go to the bathroom. Had a TVUS, which indicated a thickened lining but nothinbg else. After reading this forum, I am thinking the bleeding has to do with coming off the Tamoxifen not necessarily starting the Femara and the bleeding is the lining shedding. Research shows the lining will most likely reduce once off the tamoxifen, and I have friends whose lining reduced after 6 months of being off the tamoxifen, however they did not have any bleeding. My GYN wants to do a D&C - had one 18 months ago because of a polyp. I'm debating on waiting on any surgery for 4-6 months to see if the lining will naturally reduce and research more on whether or not I should have a hysterectomy or Ovary removal. My docs seem to not want to tell me what to do. So a few questions for those with similar cases:

• What, if any, surgery did you decide on?
    • How long/or often did you have bleeding before you did any surgery? or did occasional bleeding stop altogether - if so, how long before that happened?
    • Did you go on an AI or other meds after stopping the Tamoxifen? If so, how soon and what med?

Thanks for all your help!

• rosesrx
    rosesrx Member Posts: 264
    edited June 2015
    Options

I started bleeding 6 weeks after stopping T which Ihad been on for 4 yrs and could not tolerate the s/e. First period lasted for 2 weeks then the next for 50 days. Had abnormal PAP and US showed thickened lining. All the tests done by gyn showed hyperplasia with atypia and after d&c the lining was just as thick. I decided to proceed with total HX because I only had a week reprieve from bleeding/spotting. Then came my annual mammogram 5 yr cancerversary all NED and up shows a second primary breast cancer TP. So I asked if possible to do LMX and HX at same time they worked out their schedules and put in a port too. HX was neg as well as ovaries and cervix. I am a DES daughter so all that crud was in the back of my mind.

Once I finish chemo I will be on an AI for 5 yrs. So I am with you ladies in thinking that stopping the T was what awakened the sleeping beast. At 53 my hormone panel showed I was post menopausal. 5 yrs earlier I was peri-m. While on T my periods were 2 days but regular the first year then spread out 3-6 months stopping for 9 months before all the trouble began.

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    edited June 2015
    Options

I had an Ooph and a d&c in April. Quit tamoxifen and started Femara. Still having periodic bleeding after two month. Since the D&C was completely benign I'm just going to wait it out for a couple more month. Also AIs are one of the treatments for uterine cancer anyway! I know, I know small consolation! Honestly I'mglad to know I'm not alone.

• jgbartlett
    jgbartlett Member Posts: 30
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi all, I've posted this elsewhere but just found this thread.

After diagnosis in May 2011 I started on Tamoxifen in October 2011. My onc suggested a bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy so I went and had this done in June 2013 and changed over to Arimidex which I'm still taking.

Last month I noticed some light spotting and 'period pain', only lasted a couple of days but thought it strange. I took the wait and see option. A couple of days ago it started again. This time the pain is a lot worse and I've just got that 'I'm getting my period' feeling. Some minor spotting but more when I wipe than in the undies.

I can't get into my gp until next week and I'm worrying. Probably over nothing, but of course I googled and now I'm jumping to conclusions about uterine cancer. I've never had any polyps, thick lining or issues in the past. Any words of encouragement?

Thanks, Julie

• ---faithhopelove---
    ---faithhopelove--- Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2017
    Options

Glad to read all this. I'm going through it now!

• Msreyes
    Msreyes Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2017
    Options

Glad I found this group! I was on Tamoxifen for 1.5 years and came off 4 months ago due to thickening lining. I took tamoxifen as a prevention as I am high risk for breast cancer so taking tamoxifen is really difficult to know if will help. However, the risk of taking it makes my uterus lining thickens which I think outweighs the benefits to prevent from having breast cancer so I decided to stop it and my Onc agreed. I have been menopause for 2 years , now 54 years old.

Three days ago, I had a very heavy bleeding that I can soak a pad per hour for 3 days, clots and very red blood. Its now my fourth day and still bleeding but not as much. My GYN orders blood tests and US and will have a biopsy today.

I was hoping this is just related to shredding of thicken lining and not anything serious.

Stay tuned for the outcome.

• phaila
    phaila Member Posts: 177
    edited October 2017
    Options

how did it turn out

• BellaTassie15
    BellaTassie15 Member Posts: 77
    edited November 2017
    Options

I’m 52, chemo made me post menopausal nearly 2 years ago. I was on tamoxifen for 7 weeks but stopped 5 days ago for surgery later this week, and had brown discharge yesterday. I wouldn’t have thought I was on it long enough to thicken my lining. Anyone else experience something similar after being on tamoxifen for such a short time? The plan wasto recommence tamoxifen after surgery.

• Carla-Faith
    Carla-Faith Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi: I know this is an old post but wondering if you could shed some light on my situation. I was very pre-menopausal when diagnosed with breast cancer at 46 years old. I have been on tamoxifen ever since and have not had a period for a long time. However, blood tests would show I was not in menopause due to high estrogen levels. I am now 56 and have large fibroids. Do you think tamoxifen could have caused them to grow? I am so scared It is some kind of cancer growth. Did your fibroids ever go away?

Thank you so much.

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    edited March 2018
    Options

Fibroids can enlarge on Tamoxifen. Fibroids are not cancer.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,253
    edited March 2018
    Options

I have read that fibroids can present/grow even after menopause and no hormones factored in. I was on tamoxifen for some 3 years and ended up with 3 polyps (which can be cancerous but thankfully, mine were b-9) and this was after being on Arimidex for 2 years following the tamoxifen. Mine was an incidental finding (no bleeding).

• Egads007
    Egads007 Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2018
    Options

I was only just post menopausal before being dx'd. Started taking tamoxifen after chemo/surgery. Within a month I was bleeding. Not like a period, but it could gush at times. Sex would trigger it (no brainer). Upon office examination My gyn found 3 polyps right next to the cervix and cut them out on the spot...so much fun! So much pain! lol albeit the pain was momentary. When I asked her if tamoxifen could cause this only after 4 weeks of use she replied “oh yeah!!" Two months afterthat the occasional bleeding started again. 2 hysto-sonograms later (ouch) they pronounced 3 more very small polyps...benign. Fast track 6 more months and finally they take pity on me and do the d&c. Polyps had grown (saw one, looked like a white puffy cloud and was the size of my baby finger but everything was clear. 3 years on now and no problems, no bleeding. I'll opt for the d&c if it crops up again and if I get bad results I wouldn't hesitate to have the works yanked.

• Nessylee
    Nessylee Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2018
    Options

I was on tamoxifen for 10 years and been off for a year now having the same problem. Anyone have more input?

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    edited July 2018
    Options

Instead of a D&C I did a complete hysterectomy. For me the surgery was uneventful and I took that issue off the table. It turned out to be a benign polyp.