Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Parathyroid disease and breast cancer

Options

Comments

• sylviaexmouthuk
    sylviaexmouthuk Member Posts: 7,914
    Options

Hello Michelle2013

I was interested to read your post. I was wondering if you were told what had caused your osteoporosis as you are indeed very young to have this disease. Did your cancer treatment play some part in your development of osteoporosis? Chemotherapy and radiotherapy do affect the bones.

Have you had problems with your thyroid? Have you had an over-active thyroid, as my information is this affects the bones and causes osteoporosis.

Have you had an over-active parathyroid gland? This is what played a major part with my osteoporosis, along with I think my breast cancer treatment. to diagnose problems with an over-active parathyroid gland you need to get a blood test to find out your parathyroid hormone level (PTH). You also need to get tested for your calcium blood serum level, as this can be elevated, even if only slightly. I was diagnosed with breast cancer (TNBC) and hyperparathyroidism at the same time. I had slightly elevated blood calcium serum level and the consultants thought the breast cancer had gone to the bone. It had not but my PTH was very high and hyperparathyroidism was diagnosed and later cured through surgery. I hope this helps and I hope to hear from you.

Best wishes.

Sylvia xxxx

• sylviaexmouthuk
    Options

Hello Michelle2013

I forgot to mention that I am taking several supplements. They are calcium citrate, strontium citrate, magnesium citrate, vitamin D, vitamin K and a multi-vitamin supplement. I am taking them all to deal with my osteoporosis and try to get a calcium-rich diet, but I do not eat any dairy products because of the growth hormones in them and their risk factor in cancer.

Best wishes.

Sylvia.

• mo_mo62
    mo_mo62 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi Sam. I was diagnosed with ILC in October 2011. The following February when doing a CT scan to prepare me for radiotherapy, they found a huge mass in my neck. Turned out to be Follicular thyroid cancer - not parathyroid. They know there is a link between the two but can't find exactly why. Lots if theories. They usually think that the treatment for the thyroid cancer causes the BC but in my case they know this isn't the case. I am convinced that thyroud cancer is oestrogen fuelled. My BC is. I was on HRT for 12 years following a hysterectomy. Take care Sam x

• footprintsangel
    footprintsangel Member Posts: 35,657
    Options

I been told I have 9 tumors in my thyroid and high

thyroid level, I had IDC surgery and high chemo and

know thyroid cancer is on my dads side, they are waiting

cause they dont look like cancer.

• sylviaexmouthuk
    Options

Hello everyone

We need to keep this thread going because of the possible connection between an over active parathyroid gland and the development of breast cancer. I also think there is a connection between thyroid disease and breast cancer. It seems that anything that is disrupting the normal functioning of natural hormones in the body may contribute to breast cancer and  apparently there are plenty of hormone disrupters in our everyday life.

Best wishes.

Sylvia

• sylviaexmouthuk
    Options

Please keep this thread going.

It is important to know how many women are getting parathyroid disease and breast cancer and which one may cause which.

Best wishes.

Sylvia

• Lucy72
    Lucy72 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I had an adrenal tumor (and developed Cushings syndrome) for about 2 years before my BC.  Never knew about the adrenal issue until my blood pressure was 200/140 in the operating room for BMX. Surgery got cancelled twice until they removed the affected adrenal.  Was referred to endocrinologist who said adrenals regulate hormones, etc.  I am convinced that my hormone disruption played a huge part in getting breast cancer.  Plus, living in Portland Oregon, we are all deficient in Vitamin D.  Very interesting to read other posts on this thread. 

• jag755
    jag755 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi, I was diagnosed in Dec 2010 with stage 10B estrogen positive bc.  I had 22 rounds of radiation and have been on arimidex for almost 2 1/2 years. I felt an enlargement in my neck one day and made an appointment with my pcp. She had me get an ultrasound of my thyroid, and sure enough, I have small nodes on either my thyroid or parathyroid, she did not make that clear.  I am seeing an endo doctor in a few week.  Will let you know what they say.  I'm a bit scared.

• Mayanne
    Mayanne Member Posts: 3
    Options

I was just diagnosed with DCIS and will have a Lumpectomy on Dec. 12th and start radiation - probably about two weeks later. I've been followed for subclinical hyperthyroidism since 2007 when a blood test revealed that my TSH levels were not normal.

I had an ultrasound and uptake and nodules were discovered on my thyroid. So, each year the Endocrinologist has been ordering blood tests and an appointment with her. There hasn't been a change until this past spring when I began to have constant heart palpitations. My PCP gave me an EKG and the palpitations were benign, but they also ordered another blood test for thyroid levels and they had changed a little for the first time in a while. The Endocrinologist wanted to see me - felt that even though I still had not crossed from subclinical to clinical - I should be treated. She prescribed 2.5 Methimizole twice a day. I resisted at first, because I hadn't been able to lose weight and was afraid that on this med, I'd gain. She also prescribed Atenelol for my heart.

I hadn't started the meds, but went to the Cardiologist to reassure myself that the palpitations were benign and to see if he wanted me to take the Atenelol. To be sure that the palpitations were benign he used a Holter Monitor and agreed they were benign and were most likely associated with my Hyperthyroidism. He told me to take the Methimizole, but not the Atenelol, because it would lower my heart rate and BP which were normal.

Fast forward to October when I had my mammogram. Calcifications had been found a year ago, magnifications ordered (no cancer detected), six month diagnostic follow up in April (same time the palpitations began to be constant). No cancer detected - possibly it was borderline? I was to go back on regular mammogram schedule in October. Abnormality found, stereotactic biopsy found the DCIS. I'm 65, so possibly several conditions just happened to be cropping up at the same time - but it seems highly coincidental to me that all this was happening during the same time period. Calcifications clustering in a way that called for biopsy AND heart palpitations beginning because of hyperthyroidism.

BTW, I had my surgical consult and asked the oncologist if there were any relationship and she said that there was not. It just seems that when thyroxine hormone is raging enough in one's system to cause hot flashes, leg cramps, trouble sleeping, palpitations - that that might also fuel abnormal cells just as estrogen does. I am hormone negative.

I'm wondering whether to call the Endocrinologist whom I just saw in September to tell her I've been diagnosed with DCIS to see if she wants me to have an ultrasound which is becoming due or just wait until my regular appointment with her in December one week after my Lumpectomy (but before radiation will begin.) I have also been thinking that this feels very coincidental.

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700
    Options

mayanne, i am just starting to wonder that myself. When before i started rads, i asked them to check my tsh, they really didnt want t, but humored me. cause i had heard rads could cause that kind of damage, and fry the thyroid. so i havent done the follow up appt yet to see how it may have changed. i am glad that you wrote here. i didnt even realise this thread was here, so thank you, and i pm'd one of the women who said she got osteporosis, at 45, on the second page of this thread. which i now have, and did not before.

• KChandler8
    KChandler8 Member Posts: 1
    Options

New to the parathyroid issue - DCIS diagnosis October 2009 - lumpectomy followed by radiation.  BRCA2  Did well.   Have appointment with endocrinologist in February because of borderline high calcium coincident with borderline high PTH - lots of symptoms consistent with hyperparathyroidism- nausea is the worse and it doesn't matter what I do or don't eat.  Anyone else have the nausea and have a remedy until I get to the endocrinologist?

Right now taking magnesium, but no calcium - problems with constipation, so stopped the calcium citrate for a while. 

I am interested in others with BC/hyperparathyroidism

• mdg
    mdg Member Posts: 1,468
    Options

I also have issues with parathyroid and osteoporosis.  I was having constipation with calcium pills but then I switched to the Tums with calcium and the constipation is gone.  It may be worth a try.

• sylviaexmouthuk
    Options

Hello everyone,

I was glad to see this thread started by Sam 52 was still going. I am convinced there is a connection between hyperparathyroidism and breast cancer.

Sylvia.

• Bink182
    Bink182 Member Posts: 11
    Options

I had one parathyroid removed 15 years ago and was diagnosed with DCIS in August.  Are there any other cancers that are related to these two diagnoses?

• graciouslee2005
    graciouslee2005 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi Everyone I was diagnosed with IDC estrogen positive the end of 2012. After my first round of chemo i was out of breath could not walk up the stairs without total exhaustion and a heart rate of 120. Mentioned it to Onc. who did EKG and i wore a monitor for a week. It was bening and nothing was wrong. I asked also to have TSH tested which I never heard back about. So i suffered with this all through treatment and I was highly depressed. My state of mind was poorly that it made me cut my chemo treatments in half. May 2013 was my last Rad treatment. And I was to start the 5-year pill, which I took for one month bBecause i kept on hearing that my symptoms were side effects and to give it time! By the time October came around i had quite a few number of trips to the ER behind me One stay at hospital of two days for testing and numorous trips to GP. I was shaking had no balance felt depressed to suicidal.Finally in November they retested my TSH  and it was undetectable. Now I have found out (through extensive research) that TSH lags 6 to 8 weeks behind the change of the FT3 and FT4 levels. GP made appointment in November with an endocrinologist which I finally get to see the end of this month In the meantime i educated myself on this and found out through bloodtest I asked for to GP that I have antibodies now for Graves and Hashimoto's :(  So yah I am feeling better now since on meds. Looking back on my life I had all kinds of health problems connected to Estrogen. Polycystic Ovary Syndrom Trouble with my periods thyroid problems and IDC estrogen positive breast cancer and my intention is to follow up on this. End of is month I will see Endo Onco and I am going to push this I found some studies based on this all. There is not a doubt in my mind that Estrogen is a connective factor. Sorry for the long post and nice meeting you all!  :)

P.s.  Also have borderline osteo and am being watched for RArthritus

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8772562 is a study done in BC

• sylviaexmouthuk
    Options

Hello graciouslee,

I am just popping to say how interesting I found your post. You might be interested in a book I am thinking of buying. The title is Oestrogen the Killer in our Midst.

I think there is perhaps a connection between cancer and problems with glands such as parathyroid and thyroid.

Best  wishes,

Sylvia.

• sylviaexmouthuk
    Options

Hello everyone

Please keep this thread
    active.

Best wishes.

Sylvia

• sylviaexmouthuk
    Options

Hello everyone

I have just found a
    very good website about parathyroid disease. Those who have read my
    thread for a long time will know that I was diagnosed with
    hyperparathyroidism (an over active parathyroid gland) at the same
    time that I was diagnosed with breast cancer. My oncologist
    discovered this through doing a test for PTH because I had high
    calcium levels and she was concerned that my cancer may have spread
    to the bones. It turned out I had hyperparathyroidism which leaches
    calcium out of the bones into the blood and causes osteoporosis. I
    was told that by the size of the adenoma on one of my parathyroids
    that this had preceded the breast cancer and that I had probably had
    it for a long time. In 2009 I had a parathyroidectomy to remove the
    adenoma, the calcium level normalised and I was told I was cured.

I had read research
    that believes that there is a connection between hyperparathyroidism
    and breast cancer. Now on other threads I am reading posts about a
    connection between thyroid problems and breast cancer.

The website that I have
    found is as follows.

http://www.parathyroid-gland.com/

I would welcome any
    comments. There are two other forums in which this disease comes
    under discussion.

IDC (Invasive ductal
    carcinoma)

Thread: Parathyroid
    disease and breast cancer.

Not diagnosed with a
    recurrence or metastases but concerned

Thread : High blood
    calcium levels.

Thinking of you all.

Sylvia

• dotty111
    dotty111 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Well!  What a revelation all of this is.  I've dipped in and out of breastcancer.org like a lot of patients but I didn't really have anything to share before.  My story is probably a little unusual - but then so is everyone's really.

I had my thyroid and parathyroids removed over 30 years ago when I was 21 because I had cancer of the thyroid gland.  The surgeon told me that he'd removed my parathyroids in such a manner that I believed it had been done for the good of my health.  I've since read that they are often accidentally removed during thyroid surgery as they can be embedded in the thyroid gland.   I lived in the UK and was treated by the National Health Service and had no further problems.  I took the prescribed thyroxine and vitamin d tablets and suffered no side effects and just got on with my life.  About 11 years ago I moved to Spain and a little while later entered into the Spanish National Health System.  That's when the problems started!  I had to get a new prescription directly from an endocrinologist for the vitamin d and he over prescribed me.  I'm not going into too many details because it's such a long story but I was prescribed 4 tablets a day and now take 4 a week.  I developed hypercalcaemia and was very ill for three years before I finally reduced the amount I was taking and recovered.  The doctor didn't want to know and said it was the thyroxine which he kept reducing.  Eventually I got in touch with the manufacturers of the vitamin d drug and they confirmed that all of my symptoms - which were awful - were down to the vitamin d (Rocaltrol) and the amount which I was taking.  It's worth pointing out here that I'd moved from the UK to Spain - cloudy to sunny.

Well, things improved and I spent the next two years being very happy that I was better, enjoying my life in Spain and apologizing to everyone I met about how I'd been when I was ill.  Hypercalcaemia screws up your head, your heart, your appetite and your sleep patterns.  Not to mention your kidneys.  I was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease at stage 3 and then later told that was a misdiagnosis - I had so many gravel like kidney stones blocking my kidneys that they couldn't work properly.  They dissolved away.  Hypercalcaemia makes you incredibly thirsty and wakes you up to drink ten times a night.  It also stopped me going to see my doctor to discuss my problems as I felt too ill to do anything about it - what a contradiction!

Then - two years down the line - I was just sitting up in bed when my arm brushed across the top of my right breast and there was the lump.  Two operations, chemo, Herceptin and radiotherapy - all that for stage one but as we know it's that her2 positive diagnosis - it sends you on a real rollercoaster ride.  Just for the record, I'd say that chemo was not worse, for me at least, than hypercalcaemia but that might be because I knew what I was dealing with with the cancer and didn't with the calcium thing.

I've looked and researched, I've contacted the vitamin d council and I've talked to doctors.  Generally it's hard to find much information because usually the hypercalcaemia is diagnosed after the breast cancer because of the aromatose inhibitors - and, no doubt, other things of which I have no knowledge.

I don't know how much help this might be to anyone else but it's nice to have the chance to get it off my chest.  I firmly believe that the high levels of calcium in my blood for so long caused my breast cancer but I can't prove it and never will be able to do so.  Que sera, sera.

• dianalytical
    dianalytical Member Posts: 1
    Options

Me too.  Lobular Br. Cancer InSitu, Vit. D Defic., & Hyperparathyroidism.  I am short on time right now and will add to what I have said here at a future time.

• sylviaexmouthuk
    Options

Hello dotty111

I have just read your post from June. What an incredible story!! I do hope you will read this and post . I am English too, and know  sam52 who started this thread  We went through treatment together'

We must keep this thread going.

Best wishes,

Sylvia.

• sylviaexmouthuk
    Options

Hello sam52,

The thread you created is still alive and I have just read an incredible post by dotty111. Please come in and read and also read the high calcium thread in the forum Not diagnosed with mets but concerned. This is where we first met. I have just re-read our posts and feel that we must be in regular touch again.

Love.

Sylvia xxxx

• angelia50
    angelia50 Member Posts: 168
    Options

I had parathyroid surgery in 2008 and by that time, I could barely walk due to extreme fatigue and stiff joints.  I found out in 6/14 I had IDC. I really believe my system was so messed up by that parathyroid it allowed the cancer to take hold and grow.  Just wanted to joint the group who have had both.  My doctors didn't seem to take much notice of the fact I had both but it seems there really is something to this and more research needs to be done.

• sylviaexmouthuk
    Options

Hello angelia50,

I was interested that
    you posted you had a parathyroid problem before breast cancer. The
    doctors do not seem that interested but I think it is very important
    and that routine blood tests should be given to check on the
    parathyroid hormone level (PTH). It is a high level of this that
    gives the diagnosis. I also think slightly elevated serum calcium
    should be investigated. I think there is a connection between the
    two. My parathyroid problem also preceded the breast cancer. My
    doctor said that hyperparathyroidism is rare and that I was the first
    case he had seen in his whole career. I do not think it is so rare
    but definitely under-diagnosed.

I did not have any
    symptoms of which I was aware, although, apparently, the common
    symptoms are summarised as moans, groans and bones. The thing about
    an over-active parathyroid is that it causes osteoporosis because it
    leaches calcium out of the bones. Have you checked for osteoporosis
    through having a DEXA scan, known as a bone density scan?

It is true that cancer
    cells are part of our body and that normally these cancer cells are
    kept under control by our immune system, and that for some reason it
    fails to control the cancer cells and they start reproducing out of
    control and end up causing a tumour. I had never been ill before
    being told I had invasive ductal carcinoma (IDC) with triple negative
    receptors. The oncologist thought the cancer might have spread to the
    bones because I had high serum calcium, but a bone nuclide scan was
    clear. She then tested for PTH and I was diagnosed with
    hyperparathyroidism. I was told surgery was the only option to bring
    about a cure. I had surgery in 2009 when I was fully recovered from
    breast cancer surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy. I was diagnosed
    with breast cancer and hyperparathyroidism in 2005.

I hope all is well with
    you now.

Sylvia

• sylviaexmouthuk
    Options

Hello to all,

Some information that I learned recently.

Gout may be caused by excessive cell destruction associated with chemotherapy treatment. My understanding from my GP is that you can have a flare up during chemotherapy. I am not sure whether it can happen after treatment.

I have also read that there is a connection between pseudogout and hyperparathyroidism. My understanding is that gout and pseudogout look the same, red, swollen, hot and painful, but that gout is caused by uric acid crystals and pseudogout is caused by the deposition of calcium pyrophosphates.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Sylvia

• PeggyG6020
    PeggyG6020 Member Posts: 23
    Options

I have had hyperparathyroidism for about 4 years. Last fall my endocrinologist said I should have surgery while I was healthy. I also have Crohn's disease. But, we decided to wait until I had one more round of blood tests, and the 24 hour urine test. I had my mammo about a month before the tests. I was diagnosed with DCIS, I had a lumpectomy, I needed a re excision, so the endocrinologist thought, maybe I could do the parathyroid surgery at the same time. When they did the scans/ultasound for the parathyroid surgery, they found nodules on my thyroid, so he wanted to do biopsies. The BS and the endocrine surgeon decided to deal with the breast cancer first, so I had just the re excision, and found out that the third margin they took in that surgery had cancer where they were not expecting it. So, I start chemo in 4 days, followed by a masectomy. The parathyroid surgery will have to wait. I do not have any thyroid problems, but the biopsies for that will have to wait also. I have been on an immune suppressant drugs for over 20 years because of my Crohns, so my risk of cancer is higher than the general risk. I think it is very interesting that there may be a link to BC and parathyroid/thyroid cancer. 

• labelle
    labelle Member Posts: 134
    Options

I'm convinced there is a link between thyroid disease and breast cancer as well. My mother was diagnosed with an overactive (hyper) thyroid, had  her thyroid removed, used supplements due to developing an underactive thyroid (of course the gland was removed). She was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 years later. I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid (Hashimoto's) 3 years ago, started supplement, and have recently been diagnosed with invasive BC. I was also diagnosed with very low vitamin D levels one year ago (fine now due to supplements) but have since learned a large percentage of persons with under active thyroid (due to Hashimoto's or removal of the gland) also have vitamin D deficiencies, so there is another link for you-the links between thyroid disease, vitamin D deficiency and breast cancer.  

• JAN69
    JAN69 Member Posts: 731
    Options

labelle -  I hope you continue to do well. 

Do you know of any studies on this subject?  I have a hard time getting doctors take my thyroid and/or parathyroid seriously.  No one has been able to get a specimen large enough to study.  (3 or 4 different doctors)  It's been a "come back in 6 months" story.  Tired of it.  Seems like they should diagnose me or set me free.

Jan

• sylviaexmouthuk
    Options

Hello
    PeggyG6020

I
    was interested in your post and am sorry to read all that you are
    going through. I do hope you will be able to get your
    hyperparathyroidism (over-active parathyroid) dealt with as soon as
    you possibly can. Surgery is the only solution and will cure
    everything. If not, all the time your parathyroid is over-active, you
    will have high levels of parathyroid hormone and calcium will be
    leaching from the bones into the blood. You need to get your PTH
    measured and it will normally be high. Your calcium level could also
    be high. You need a sestamibi scan to see if you have a benign
    adenoma on any of your four parathyroid glands. You should have a
    DEXA scan to see what is happening to your bones and whether you have
    osteoporosis. The parathyroid surgery is usually done as a minimally
    invasive one.

I
    can understand that you need to get through the cancer treatment
    first. I did the same when my breast and over-active parathyroid were
    found at the same time. I had breast cancer treatment 2005/6 and
    parathyroid surgery in 2009. The surgery cures you. There is a lot of
    information on another thread called High Calcium in the forum Not
    diagnosed with mets but concerned.

Sam52
    and I have lots of posts on that thread and sam52 created this thread
    on which we both have posts. We got to know each other over
    hyperparathyroidism.

I do
    hope everything went well with your first chemotherapy treatment and
    that you will get through it without too much trouble.

Sam52
    and I firmly believe in the research that thinks there is a
    connection between hyperparathyroidism and breast cancer.

Take
    care.

Best
    wishes.

Sylvia
    xxxx

• sylviaexmouthuk
    Options

Hello
    labelle

I
    just read your most interesting post and wanted to send best wishes.

Fond
    thoughts.

Sylvia
    xxxx