Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Parathyroid disease and breast cancer

Options

Comments

• alcb70
    alcb70 Member Posts: 8
    Options

I sent my old MO an email about this (he stays up on latest studies). He says it's the Vit D. Low vit D is a risk factor for both. I know my breast surgeon put me back on high dose vit D after diagnosis. At one point for my hyperparathyroidism I was on 150,000 u per week! Will be interesting to see other studies come out. I have pushed for both of my girls to take otc vit D.

• sylviaexmouthuk
    sylviaexmouthuk Member Posts: 7,914
    Options

Hello alcb70,

I read your posts with great interest. It could well be that a vitamin D deficiency may be the cause of both breast cancer and hyperparathyroidism, both of which I was diagnosed with at the same time. If I were you I would not take any of the bisphosphonates such as Zometa. Do some research and I do not think you want to go along that path. Do some research also about strontium citrate in the treatment and prevention of osteoporosis. You might want to read the book Your Bones. It is a mine of useful information about dealing with and preventing osteoporosis and has a whole section about bisphosphonates.

Best wishes.

Sylvia xxxx

• karynhelen
    karynhelen Member Posts: 9
    Options

Oh my, Jude14... I hope you see this....I have Grave's Disease and had RAI treatment about 7+ years ago. Passed a Kidney stone when I was 7 months pregrant about a year later.... Always wondered if I would end up with cancer somewhere.

I am seeing my surgeon tomorrow to see what our plan of attack will be. I wonder if they will suggest Radiation.... 

I am curious as to what treatment you had.

Any information would be helpful. Graves Disease and living without a thyroid gland has been so difficult for me. I'm concerned about how treatment will affect my thyroid hormone replacement therapy... Darn...

I have to change from Levoxyl now due to shortage, so I think I'm in for a ride... 2 weeks ago I was on a mission to find a new Thyroid drug, now I am less concerned about that and just want to get through this BC business.... 

Any input would be so appreciated!

Blessings,

Karyn

• sylviaexmouthuk
    Options

It is important to keep this thread going because of the possible connection between hyperparathyroidism and breast cancer.

Best Wishes, Sylvia.

• Outdamnedspot
    Outdamnedspot Member Posts: 164
    Options

This thread is very interesting to me as several years ago, I had routine bloodwork done that showed a too high calcium level.  I did a 24 hour urine, had a kidney scan and was told I just had a lot of fine 'gravel-like' stones.  The next time I am at my PCP's, I am going to ask for a re-check as I am curious.  I have a lot of symptoms of Parathyroid disease.  Could be just a coincidence.  

I also know an elderly lady who had breast cancer years ago and was doing extremely well.  Very active and bright.  She then started to go down hill very fast and in a matter of months was using a walker and almost housebound.  Turns out she has parathyroid disease, had it removed, got rid of the walker and is back to looking amazing.

This is such an interesting topic.  Let's keep it going! 

• JAN69
    JAN69 Member Posts: 731
    Options

So glad I found this thread.  I'm waiting at this very day to get path report on a biopsy of my thyroid/parathyrod.  I have a 2.3 cm nodule somewhere "way back behind thryoid" according to the sonogram radiologist.  WTH.  Waiting is the beach.  Jan

• sylviaexmouthuk
    Options

Hello JAN69

I hope you have good news. Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes.

Sylvia xxxx

• JAN69
    Options

Thanks Sylvia, It's been a frustrating 2 weeks waiting for my path results.  Apparently the report got lost in transit to my pcp's office twice (?)!!!!!  I still only have a tiny part of report and so I'm seething with frustration and other not good emotions. 

I'm going to call tomorrow to get an appointment at UCLA (we live in California).  I have been a patient there before and I get my eye care there.  UCLA has a center for thyroid and parathyroid that is well-regarded.  I'm through with the local care. 

I'll be back in touch when I know what's going on.  Jan

• sylviaexmouthuk
    Options

Hello everyone,

Keep this thread going. Good luck Jan and let us know how you get on.

Best Wishes, Sylvia.

• Law828
    Law828 Member Posts: 9
    Options

Last year I had my thyroid lit up on 2 petscans. Looks like the petscan lit up my thyroid again today. I've had an ultrasound an 2 biopsies and everywhere it shows there is a benign nodule. I see my doctor on Thursday to get the official results of the scan. I don't think I've had vitamins D deficiencies but I drink milk like water. My surgeon mentioned that she has seen a rise on thyroid problems with breast cancer patients but my oncologist feels there is no link between the two. Hhmmmm. This is very interesting and I hope more ladies in the same situation post something

• sylviaexmouthuk
    Options

Hello Law828

Let us know what the official results of your scan are.

I have read that thyroid problems are a risk factor for the development of breast cancer. My parathyroid problems preceded my breast cancer, so I was told by my endocrinologist, and I think there is a connection. You might like to read:

www.parathyroid.com

There is Swedish research establishing a possible cause between an over active parathyroid and breast cancer, or a third cause for both. Please do not mix up parathyroid with thyroid. There are four tiny parathyroid glands that sit on the thyroid and they are responsible for the proper regulation of calcium in the body. I had a benign adenoma on one of them, had it removed and was cured. If you have thyroid problems, you need to know whether you are over active or under active or whether, if all is normal, why you have a nodule.

Keep posting.

Best wishes.

Sylvia.

• JAN69
    Options

My PCP is certain I do not have a thyroid or parathyroid problem.  I'm having another ultrasound of that mysterious nodule on Tuesday and will take that report along with biopsy and other tests to UCLA at the end of the month.  Blood counts of all sorts are normal.  Go figure! 

Hope this thread will continue. Jan

• Michele2013
    Michele2013 Member Posts: 232
    Options

I had my thyroid removed April 22, never had any symptoms. It lit up in the petscan. The biopsy was benign, but my endocrinologist, oncologist, and thoracic surgeon were confident it was cancer. Could I have had symptoms and not know it???

• JAN69
    Options

Michele - So glad your surgery went well and your thyroid was benign.

I don't know the answer to your question.  I had an ultrasound several weeks ago after my MO felt swollen glands on the right side of neck.  Those turned out to be "nothing" but found a 2.3 cm nodule on left that seemed to excite a few doctors.  Biopsy apparently showed nothing "unusual" but didn't say what is really is.  It seems they don't know if it is attached to the thyroid or parathyroid.  The ultrasound this week will hopefully show if nodule has changed in size or shape.  I try to not get too upset, but.............you know how this BC has changed our outlook.  Plus, I still feel swollen glands on right.

• Michele2013
    Options

Hi Jan,

It did turn out to be cancer. I had 2 nodules on each side, the one on my left side was the largest and only one that was cancerous. It was not as big as yours though. I am kind of surprised they have not taken it out. There was no hesitation with my dr's and our stage is pretty close. Have they given you the option to take it out?

• JAN69
    Options

Michele - I just saw that I hadn't replied to your last posting.  Sorry.  I had the 2nd US on Friday and have a CD to take with me to the endocrinologist at UCLA next Friday.  No opinion locally on what it is or what to do about it except wait and watch.  Ugh.  I'm pretty sure both sides have nodules now: I can feel a new swollen area on opposite side that wasn't there before!  US technichin spent a lot of time on it.  I'm so tired of all these appointments.  Local doctors are 45 miles from here and UCLA is 250 miles away.  I go there (UCLA) for eye treatment every month as it is. 

How was your recovery from surgery?  Could you eat and talk?  Do you have to take any long-term meds?  Surely thyroid surgery is easier than BC.

Hope you have a nice relaxing weekend.   J

• nixi
    nixi Member Posts: 10
    Options

Hello All,

I was dx'd with IDC in 2002.  I, too, am curious of the relationship between the parathyroid and BC.  I was just asked to report to my Endocrinologist on Tuesday as my PTH (Parathyroid hormone test) has come back elevated and my calcium is "high normal" and those things, along with my recent DEXA scan (showing a significant change from 2 years ago and indicating that my lumbar spine is now osteoporadic -  have raised some concern for hyperparathyroidism.

For those of you that have been dx'd with this, did you have a lot of throbbing bone/muscle pain prior to diagnosis? I have had a lot of bone/muscle pain for a few years now  - mostly in my legs, but sometimes in my arms, too.  I have been followed closely and checked for mets, and all has been okay.  And now, in addition to the bone/muscle pain,  for about the last 3 weeks,  I have been feeling a bit nauseated.  I understand from the research I've just begun to do that both bone/muscle pain and nausea can be symptoms of hyperparathyroidism. Has anyone else had this experience?

Many thanks, Nixi

• sylviaexmouthuk
    Options

Hello nixi,

I have just read your post and wanted to say that you can have symptoms because of hyperparathyroidism, with which I was diagnosed in 2005. These symptoms are described as 'bones, moans and groans'. I had no symptoms and the hyperparathyroidism obviously went undiagnosed for some time. It was discovered at the same time as I was diagnosed with breast cancer (IDC with triple negative receptors).

I hope you have read all the proceeding posts from me and sam52. There is a lot of information in them about hyperparathyroidism. You might also like to look at the thread High Blood Calcium Levels in the forum Not Diagnosed with a Recurrence or Metastases but Concerned. It is worth reading all the posts. You might also like to look at www.parathyroid.com.

Judging from some of the other posts, it looks as though problems with an over active thyroid or an over active parathyroid cause problems with levels of calcium in the blood and cause problems with calcium leaching from the bones.

Best wishes.

Sylvia.

• sylviaexmouthuk
    Options

Hello JAN69

I read your post with great interest on the thread High Calcium Blood Levels in the forum Not Diagnosed with Recurrence or Metastases but Concerned. I hope all will go well on Friday when you see an endocrinologist.

I agree with you that we need to keep both of these threads going, as there appears to be quite a lot of posts about breast cancer and hyperparathyroidism and indeed hyperthyroidism. Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes.

Sylvia.

• Warrior150
    Warrior150 Member Posts: 4
    Options

I find all of this interesting! I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism and an adenoma last spring and then several months later was diagnosed with breast cancer. While my endocrinologist has not mentioned a link, I don't think it can be ignored. I did have a parathyroidectomy without complication and minimal recovery. Not really sure which came first my doctor thinks my bc had been growing for 5 years and my PTH levels have only been elevated for a short period. I hope this helps.

• sylviaexmouthuk
    Options

Hello Warrior150,

I was interested in your post.

Regardless of what the medical experts think, I am convinced there is a connection between hyperparathyroidism and breast cancer. This is what a Swedish study indicates. My breast cancer surgeon/endocrinologist told me in 2005,when I was diagnosed with both, that my hyperparathyroidism definitely preceded my breast cancer. She was basing this on the size of the adenoma on the lower right parathyroid gland. In 2005 she said that my breast cancer had probably started to develop about three years before, and that the adenoma preceded it and I could have had it for a long time. I certainly had no symptoms and there is no testing for parathyroid hormone in routine blood tests. My parathyroidectomy was in November 2009 and I was cured. However, the hyperparathyroidism and I believe my breast cancer treatment has left me with osteoporosis.

It is difficult to know what causes what. In the Swedish research it was also stated that a third factor could have caused both. The theory was that both may have been caused by x-rays in childhood.

I do not believe that hyperparathyroidism is as rare as we are told. I believe it is under-diagnosed.

I also wonder where hyperthyroidism fits into the equation. It also cause osteoporosis.

I think that just because your PTH levels were elevated for just a short period does not mean that the parathyroid was behaving normally before that. The PTH could probably seem normal until the other parathyroid glands close down completely.

Wishing you well.

Sylvia

• wirdgirl118
    wirdgirl118 Member Posts: 139
    Options

Hi everyone, have any of you been told you have a Difficult or Challenging Airway? When I had my BMX in January, I was told this. I had elevated calcium levels in my annual blood tests prescribed by my onco around the time my BC was coming back, the Comeback first presented as Paget's disease of the nipple. Could my airway prob be related to thyroid or parathyroid problem?

• JAN69
    Options

I saw the endocrinologist at UCLA yesterday for the first time.  I'll have another biopsy on June 11.  She is also not sure what is going on since now I have two or more nodules and just a month ago I had only one.  More later.  J

• wirdgirl118
    wirdgirl118 Member Posts: 139
    Options

Do any of you lovely ladies have restless leg syndrome? Mine started age 9 when I lived on an island in the Caribbean with coral reef (calcium) dust all over, and I can only think too much calcium affected minerals in my body like magnesium. I'm wondering what you think about this.

• JAN69
    Options

girl118 - That's interesting, but I have no clue.  Hope someone can chime in on this. J

• sewingnut
    sewingnut Member Posts: 475
    Options

I asked my Dr to test for parathyroid blood levels. They looked at me like I had a 3rd eye. Said "that's not a normal test". I expained that my calcium blood levels are consistently high normal and I have thyroid nodules. Why should they care. I'm paying for the test, not them!

• sam52
    sam52 Member Posts: 431
    Options

Very wise and sensible of you to ask for this test.

It is never performed routinely, so that parathyroid disease is often un(der)diagnosed.I hope you get the results quickly and come back and let us know the outcome.

Sam

• JAN69
    Options

I got my nodule biopsy results today.  For a second time, the doctors didn't get enough material to study!!!!!!!

They won't repeat test until September.  I'm fuming just a bit.  Jan

• ysw
    ysw Member Posts: 3
    Options

I have mentioned this in other thread of High Ca and Ca15-3 levels. It has been six months my mother has high calcium and fluctuating Tumor markers (172-92-162). And just two days back we got her reports for PTH and those are very high 106. Endocrinologist couldn't believe that and asked us to repeat the test. At the same time we could not believe of high calcium even with six cycles of zolendronic acid. And, now waiting for results of the repeat tests.

• Michele2013
    Options

Sylvia- I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis. I am now taking replesta for a couple of months.

I am happy I did not have to have radiation on my thyriod. Perhaps it was only stage 1.

I am 45, that seems way too young to have osteoporosis.