Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Breast recon/implants -Successful Stories after Radiation

Options

Comments

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951
    edited July 2012
    Options

fragrantroses- I feel so bad for you. That is my big fear too. I don't want to end up smaller than the tissue expanders. I will keep them in that case. I am so used to them. I want the projection as well. I did the skin sparing and will be doing rads after chemo, so my exchange won't be for quite some time. I have an appointment for a fill on Monday and will be asking to see exactly what she plans on putting in me at the exchange time. Did you get to see the implant prior to the exchange? Again, sorry it is so disappointing after such a long wait and all the other crap.

• LtotheK
    LtotheK Member Posts: 487
    edited July 2012
    Options

I'm so sorry to hear how difficult this road can be for all of you.  I am here because I had radiation and chemo, and now I'm considering mastectomy.  I just wanted to share that based on a lot of research and two friends who have had reconstruction done, the smaller breasts seem more convincing to me.  Getting correct fullness in C+ cups seems very difficult.  So maybe there is a silver lining in the smaller breasts.  So hard, I feel for all of you so much.

• superfoob
    superfoob Member Posts: 121
    edited July 2012
    Options

Howdy LtotheK!

Here's my story:

I was a DDD/F cup size. I am 5'11" & 180 lbs. Not obese, but not thin either. Would be happy to lose 20 lbs. but if not...meh.

Anyway....I got a nipple sparing mastectomy on my left side with immediate reconstruction with a permanent implant (natrelle 15 453cc, if I remember correctly) and FlexHD (same as Alloderm). The PS removed 694 grams of tissue. I wanted to be smaller. My foob is a large C, small D.

I then got 35 radiation treatments that included 5 boosts directly on the NAC area.

I had a hard time with Rads. Blistered, wet desquamation (sic?)....yuck.

My new foob came through with flying colors. Granted, I don't have any sensation but I didn't expect to. I do get a headlight when I am cold...I just don't know it's there unless I lookin a mirror! I am still numb-ish on my side and the back of my arm, but that is from the Lymphnode removal, not the foob.

I was going to get a reduction/lift on my right side, but since I had a large amount of ILC, I've decided to get a prophylactic mastectomy (NSM) with immediate recon just like my left foob. Lobular is a sneaky little beast!

Everybody is soooo different. I didn't think I would be eligible for a nipple sparing mastectomy because I am large...but it worked out great. I am looking forward (as much as one can look forward to surgery) to getting my new right foob in September and being even again.

• Dianarose
    edited July 2012
    Options

SuperFoob- I like your positive story as I am in the same boat. I do however have TE's. I hope mine works out like yours. Thanks for sharing.

• mommaof4
    mommaof4 Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2012
    Options

I have a sucess story :) I was diagnosed with breast cancer in April of 2011 followed by bilateral mastectomy with TE's in May 2011, 4 months of chemo, and 33 rads to left side. I finished rads in January 2012 and had my exchange surgery in April. I have had no problems thus far. I will say they are smaller than i wanted... full B as opposed to the full C i would have liked but I know they had a hard time getting clean margins on left side so not much skin to work with. My left side is still pretty tight and hasn't dropped as much as the right yet but i expected this. They look really nice in clothes and ok without... I'm pretty happy with them but might look into a revision just to fill in a few areas with more fat injections. I' also planning on going to Vinnie Meyes for the 3D tats when revisions are done. Their not "perfect" but I' happy with them considering all my body has been through. Hope this helps...

• sblankenship
    sblankenship Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    Options

I need to hear some sucess stories as well.  All literature suggest that Flaps are the only way after radiation.  Well I DO NOT like Flaps or the idea having to be cut on MORE!!!  Anyway... I am on this ship too.  I recently had a PS acutally CANCEL my scheduled surgery after meeting with him twice!!!  I am not sure how to handle all this.

• Kodapants
    Kodapants Member Posts: 18
    edited July 2012
    Options

My experience is different but might help someone. Years prior to BC I had breast implants and anchor lift, which means the scar is in the middle lower portion of breast. Fast track to cancer I had a double Mastectomy and my surgeon had to work around my old scars from lift, then Rads which did a number on my scar and skin.  I am Irish/Norweigen decent so skin pale. Had to wait one year before PS would touch me. 5/09 had LD flap, with small tissue expanders.....2 sepsis episodes and replacement of TE and use of alloderm 2010/2011 and slow fill of TE"s. 2/12 removal of TE exchange to silicon 550 implants. breasts are soft and manageable and have my first fat transfer next week to fill dents where scar and rads really effected my right side. But when I realize that I have been going back and forth to PS for since 5/2009. Thats a long time so my suggestions take it slow very slow and eventually that radiated side will give. I think I am one of my PS longest patients, really my doctor and I would't give up. Plus I love to where 2 piece swim suit in the summer. No, they will never look and feel like my old one's but anything is better that nothing.

Kodapants :)

• Dianarose
    edited July 2012
    Options

I have not had my TE exchange yet, but I did have rads on the left side in 2005 and that side is healing better than the other side. You can barley see my scar. My PS is going to go under my breasts when it is time for the exchange because that skin shouldn't be as damaged as the upper portions which will be getting rads. Well, let me claify that. The left side had rads in 2005 and the right will have rads after I am done chemo in Oct. I am happy so far with the results from the TE's. Hell, they look better than the real ones did. If she says I have to wait for the exchange at least I have some sort of breasts until then. I really want them done, but only want to do it once and have it be successful. I am not at all interested in the whole flap thing.

• KatiKay
    KatiKay Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2012
    Options

SBlankenship I feel the same way.  It is so frustrating.  There is a new method of injecting fat cells into the area a few months and then placing in the implant.  I would like to hear of more of these success stories.  I  do not want to be cut on either.

• fragrantroses
    fragrantroses Member Posts: 69
    edited July 2012
    Options

I am 2 weeks post op now and yesterday something started happening on the rad side.  I'm upset today.

This is how I looked last Sat.... 1 week post op

This was this morning, at 2 weeks post op....2 weeks post op

The rad side is hard to massage and looks easily half the side of the non rads side.  The emotional blow to this has been overwhelming.  I have worn a push down strap to keep the implant from moving up.  You can see the red marks across my chest from wearing it.  I have had "fluff" added to the lateral sides of my bra to keep the implant up front.  All the weird sensation started yesterday ...from maybe noonish and by 7 pm it felt thick and rigid.  I can push in on the lateral side.  The medial side is very tender.  It feels like there's a large steak over the implant now.  I can push on in, but my fingers don't go INTO the implant...they just kind of dent the implant and move it.

If this is a NORMAL progression to the finished result, I certainly wish they (PS) would be up front about all these changes.

• Dianarose
    edited July 2012
    Options

Fragrantroses- I feel so bad for you. I hope it is something the PS can fix. I am scared of the same thing happening to me because I will have had rads on both sides. I will just keep the expanders forever. They look good and don't hurt. How long was it from the time you finished rads to your exchange date? Sorry this is happening to you sweetie.

Diana Rose

• fragrantroses
    fragrantroses Member Posts: 69
    edited July 2012
    Options

Diana Rose, that is a beautiful name.  My PS won't do any reconstruction for a year after your rads are over.  That was March 3, 2011.  I waited until May 1, 2012 to go back to him because my son was getting married and I wanted that out of the way before I restarted fills.  I too would have kept my TE's for much longer as I liked them despite the concrete bra...they looked pretty good and were spectacular in the bra.  But the right rad. one started leaking.  To keep from losing the pocket, we went right to the exchange.  I really liked my look around the 660 mark.

I had immediate reconstruction with the TE, and he put 200 cc in at the time of surgery.  I was filled to 460 cc when we stopped for rads.  So then there was nothing else done from Jan 2011 til May 1st this year.

I suspect this is trying to do that capsular contracture thing.  It was weird because it all happened over about 6 hours on Friday. 

• GreenCowgirl
    GreenCowgirl Member Posts: 80
    edited February 2013
    Options

I have been getting mixed opinions from surgeons as well about having implants on radiated breast.  My radiation was 2 1/2 years ago with lumpectomy.  My skin healed very well, though i do get some tightness in the chest armpit which i strech on a regular basis.  I have a new dx of reoccur dcis high grade insame breast so amd looking at a bmx in a few weeks.  The mx surgeon was concerned and thought diep would be better option, this really worries me.  I finally met the PS, Dr Saint-Cyr and he specializes in the diep surgery, but he said i did not have enough fat to do it.(that made me laugh).  I have 34F fairly well shaped boobs on a 5 5" body and am very willing to go smaller(just ask the deep grooves in my shoulders) :)  He said i would do fine and he will do fat grafting right at the first surgery to havea better outcome and prevent future contracture. I have plenty of skin to work with and nips well placed.(i am hoping for nipple sparring, but don't know til the surgery)  He would add alloderm later to help the muscle stretch or would make a similar sling immediately using myown  breast tissue from the left(non-radiated)breast.  He is considering a 700cc cohesive gel with the gentle sloping profile(not sure of name?)  They also showed me newer TE's that looked/felt much softer than the older models(praying for less pain)  He like to do lots of fat grafting following expanders or to enhance all the edges.  this was all sounding heaven sent, but i am wonering now if this is too hopeful considering the stories i have been reading here.

• dnadebbs
    dnadebbs Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2013
    Options

hi greencowgirl!

so yah.....i'm having a hard time too right now.   only i just had my TE recon surgery on 1/3.......1 week later i developed an infection on the radiated side.......then a week after that it spread to the non radiated side.......and then a week later i went in to the dr and she had me admitted to the hospital to have the TEs removed.   unfortunately, the radiated side is still infected and i've been on antibiotics since 1/3 and nothing.   so i have a call in to the doc again to let her know they're not working and this isn't fun at all.   i don't know if its because of the radiation......she had originally told me that my radiated side looked amazing and it would be fine for the simple TE recon surgery.   again, i have no idea what caused the infection or what it will take to go away.......but i too am skeptical to try again and i also heard that tram/diep are the best for radiated breasts.   i might look deeper in to that.  i'm not going to give up but i'm not sure now what i'm going to do.  i know there are alot of women out there that had radiation before implants/recon......and were extremely succesful........just wasn't me.    good luck in what you decide.   from what you said.......your doc is really on it and sounds like the perfect situation!    i'm going to get a second opinion.......but i think you should go for it.   i think there are more success stories out there then not.

i'm excited for you!

ally

• GreenCowgirl
    edited February 2013
    Options

dnadebbs,  Hello,  Your story is heartbreaking my friend, i am soo sorry this has not gone smoothly for you.  You must be having all kinds of worry about infection and the future.  I am sure their is a thread(troubles with TS's) that could be helpful for you.  Please do not give up, but i think you are right to look for a second opinion.  I wish i could be more help, but i am in the beginning part of this surgery.  My P.S is an expert in the DIEP, and it is a good option, he is keeping that as a backup plan if my implants fail.  I read that there are only 40 Docs in the US that do the DIEP. I am praying that situations turns around and you find a Doc you can feel good about. Thank yo for your kind words and i plan to go for it and hope for the best.

Nancy

• GreenCowgirl
    edited May 2013
    Options

Searching for more ladies that are doing implant reconstruction after having had radiation.  I need someone to compare notes with and see how things are going.

Nancy

• GreenCowgirl
    edited January 2014
    Options

So far Ive had a successful reconstruction with implants after having had radiation to right breast years ago.  Healing went well, no delays, infections or problems.  I will require about 3 more revisions with fat transfer to get better shape to right breast, to better match the left.  I have regained much strength after the mx/te placement.  I was concerned about manipulating the chest muscle to the point of weakness.

I slowly got back into my workouts and now can do 30-60 min of cardoi/strength training.  Its been good to strengthen and stretch the arms/chest muscles, plus now I can do planks,downdogs and several pushups in a row.  If I feel any pain at all I stop/modify my workout and keep building on what ive gained.  I know a lot of PS will not suggest implants in my situation, but just know it can be done and I wish all success in whatever recon you choose, as we ladies deserve the best . 

Nancy

• christina1961
    christina1961 Member Posts: 450
    edited January 2014
    Options

GreenCowgirl, Thanks for posting your encouraging news!  I'm glad all has gone well.  I am trying to decide whether or not to try a tissue expander than implant.  I had full MX followed by radiation.  I really don't want to do a lat flap and I cannot take a long recovery period for many reasons.

• bluewillowskys
    bluewillowskys Member Posts: 268
    edited January 2014
    Options

Im considering having a BMX done with implants or DIEP after my right side lumpectomy and rads. Is there anyone more recently that has had TEs/implants after rads?

• Andrea623
    Andrea623 Member Posts: 572
    edited January 2014
    Options

I had a bmx and finished radiation in December 2012. Seven months later, I had TEs exchanged for implants and except for some discomfort and cosmetic appearance, things have gone pretty well for me. 

• GreenCowgirl
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi ladies   Im still doing great, working out is my saving grace and something I do just for me.  As a mom we are getting pulled in many directions so my family have to ajust to my daily workouts.  I tell them to either join in or give me 30 min of uninterrupted peace.  My boys are  9 and 5 and the world has always revolved around them, you would not think fitting in 30 min for myself would be a big deal, but its a challenge many days!

Andrea  Im happy about your results!  Many Docs wont touch us rad girls!

Bluewillow,  Yes I opted for the TE with implants and so far so good.  I will have a revision in feb to improve right breast that had rads in 2010, the tightness made it want to shrink/deform a bit.  They also used some alloderm as well.  The tissue is very thin so fat grafting should help plus I have 2 large fat necrosis lumps form BMX, the fat will soften their look/feel.  I just wear a soft padded bra to event he girls out for now.  I have about a half cup size difference now.  But I do still have my native nips which has made a huge difference in feeling like these are my own breasts.   Also slowly getting some feeling back in both breasts, yipii!

• JRose10
    JRose10 Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2014
    Options

I'm two weeks out of having my implant put in and I couldn't be happier.

Long story short, right radical mastectomy in 2011 followed by 6 rounds of chemo, 25 rounds of radiation and 18 months of Herceptin. In July of 2012 I had a lat. dorsi flap reconstruction with an expander put in and two weeks ago my PS switched out the expander for a silicon implant. He also reduced and lifted my left breast to even things out.

I feel like a million bucks. My breast shape is great, very natural looking and healing very nicely.  

Because of the rads my dr strongly recommended the lat. dorsi surgery because the recovery time was shorter and easier than tram flap. He absolutely did not recommend putting the implant in without one of the two flaps done though.  

• bluewillowskys
    edited January 2014
    Options

JRose10: was the lat flap done to put more muscle in to cover the implant? Im not very familiar with lat.flap info .

• GreenCowgirl
    edited January 2014
    Options

Jrose  Sounds like you have been through the ringer, climbed mountains and come out the other side of the tunnel!  Sooo happy to hear you love your new shape!!

• Hildy910
    Hildy910 Member Posts: 227
    edited January 2014
    Options

I am another rads/implant success story of sorts.  

I had a left side skin sparing UMX with TE placement 12/1, followed by chemo and rads, which finished up in July. Did a prophylactic RSide UMX 12/12 again skin sparing with TE placement.  My PS waits at least six months post rads to consider exchanging, and we waited a little longer after that. Had exchange in May 2013 with no trouble with infections or healing, although I did develop an itchy radiation recall rash that covered most of my radiation field and lasted about five days.  I have the anatomic gummy bear-type implants and am getting 3D tats in March instead of doing nipple recon. 

So my two cents: These aren't ever going to look the same.The radiated side is higher and tighter and smaller, no matter how much I stretch. They are fine for clothing, but are obviously fake once clothes come off. Nonetheless, I am satisfied for the most part--I didn't want to do a flap procedure, and am relieved I could have implants at all. 

• bluewillowskys
    edited January 2014
    Options

HILDY: thank you for sharing your experience.

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited January 2014
    Options

bluewillowskys, a lat flap brings improved blood flow to the radiated area because the lat muscle's blood supply comes with it. The radiated tissue has damaged circulation which can cause healing & other issues. 

• bluewillowskys
    edited January 2014
    Options

DLL: thank you for that info. Im kinda scared of doing any surgery that involves messing with muscle flaps... i have a bad back with degenerating discs down low and worry i may not have adequate support is i did a flap surgery.

• GreenCowgirl
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hildy  Congrats on a successful recon!  I have the anatomical implants too and at first hated them but now after healing and settling they look very very real.  my right radiated side did get smaller but we are doing a revision next month to improve that with fat transfer.  So I went from a 34 G to 34D left side and right side is about 1/2 cup smaller.  If I did not have all the scars underneath you would think they were real.  I do like having smaller boobs ,clothes fit better, workouts are better and my breasts don't saw howdy before the rest of me gets in the room! hahahah  Also loving having no bra dents in my shoulders and not worrying about straps,bras etc.  I wore a stapless top this summer-how liberating!!!!  I find it helps to look for the positives in this journey, there actually are a few.  Although I seem to be on permanent salute with the nips which are my own, I ususally wear a lightly padded soft cup bra to hide the rascals.

• Art123
    Art123 Member Posts: 16
    edited February 2014
    Options

I'm posting on behalf of my wife. She was diagnosed triple positive back in late August. We finished chemo but she still has to get mx on left breast. So she has decided to do bilateral nipple sparing mx. PS said she's not candidate for flaps because not enough tummy fat. Her only option is implants. We don't know yet about rads and I'm real concerned about all the bad stuff I read about failure rates. She's 34a and what's to go to a B. 

I've also read varying things about how long to wait.

The ps said it all depends in how well skin heals after rads.

In just concerned and confused.