Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bone Mets Thread

Options

Comments

• Jac53
    Jac53 Member Posts: 58
    edited November 2012
    Options

Bump.

• DanaCox
    DanaCox Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    Options

Hey all!  I signed up for this forum many months ago and haven't followed it since.  I don't know if maybe it was denial (although I am not the type to shy away from this) or if it is because life just got in the way!  I am a mom of three beautiful children, ages 9, 7, and almost 5.  I was diagnosed with IDC in 2010 at the age of 31.  I underwent 6 rounds of chemo and 30 radiation treatments.  I finished my treatments in April 2011 and just 9 months later, was diagnosed with a single bone met to my 12th posterior rib on my left side.  It bothers me somewhat that there was no biopsy to confirm this, but I trust my MO.  I have had scans every 4 months and things are stable. I have some disc degeneration in my mid back that they are calling arthritic.  I also have a lesion on my T3 that has been stable since July 2011 (when it was discovered).  They are saying NOTHING about that one!  I have had a few bouts of dizziness in recent months, and to top it off, have fallen down twice this week!  Needless to say, my mind is thinking the worse.  I called my MO yesterday and requested a Head CT to be sure it's not brain mets.  She seems to think it's OK, but still thinks it's a valid request.  The thought of brain mets scares the be-jeezes out of me, but at least I will know what I am dealing with once I have the scan!  Best case scenario is that I am dealing with NOTHING!!  Positive thoughts, please!!  Taking all the positive thoughts I can get!

• ridergirl
    ridergirl Member Posts: 94
    edited November 2012
    Options

Sending nothing but the most positive of thoughts and some hugs your way Dana

• ibcmets
    ibcmets Member Posts: 312
    edited November 2012
    Options

Sending positive thoughts and prayers to you Dana.  I hope things turn out well.

Terri

• Barb312
    Barb312 Member Posts: 64
    edited November 2012
    Options

Just thought I would let you know that I am doing a lot better on Aromasin.  Onc. never thought my nausea was from Arimidex but from anxiety or gastritis.  I am on 10 mg. of Lexapro a day.  At least I feel like I am getting back in the world again.  It has been a slow process.  I have a few aches and pains, but I can handle that part.  I am a big pansy when it comes to nausea.  Happy Sunday to All.  Barb in FL

• Barb312
    edited November 2012
    Options

Dana, I had the same problem being dizzy.  It was from the meds I was on.  I had a brain MRI last week and it was fine.  The only thing they found was that I had a stroke years ago.  I do remember feeling funny a few years back when I was having a dinner party.  Scared me, but nothing ever came of it.  Barb in FL

• Barb312
    edited November 2012
    Options

I have been on Lexapro for three weeks now and I don't think it is really helping me at all.  I take it before I go to bed at night and in the morning I wake up really jittery. I also worry that it will interfere with Aromasin.  Any thoughts from anyone out there? Is there anythng natural that I can take?   Barb from FL

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited November 2012
    Options

Hi Barb I haven't heard that Lexapro is contraindicated while you are on Aromasin.

The natural for depression is St Johns Wort but I would not take this unless you first consult a naturopath as it can have its own SE's.

I was thinking, have you tried taking the Lexapro in the morning rather than at night? It may be better for you to do it that way.

Good luck!

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• SPAMgirl
    SPAMgirl Member Posts: 137
    edited November 2012
    Options

I'm on Effexor and it helps with the hot flashes. You are right about lexapro interfering with the chemo drugs. I don't think it's my much. But why take the chance in this part of the game. These are interactions listed for Tamoxifen.

http://breastcancer.about.com/od/hormonetherapydrugs/a/Antidepressants-And-How-They-Interact-With-Tamoxifen.htm

• lulubee
    lulubee Member Posts: 903
    edited November 2012
    Options

Spam, I take Lexapro and your post is the first I've heard about it interacting with chemo.  Do you recall where you learned that?  I don't want to even think about going back to living without it but you've got me curious/concerned.

• lanagraves
    lanagraves Member Posts: 40
    edited November 2012
    Options

I've been taking horsetail for a couple of months now too. Not sure if it's helping, but I don't think it's hurting.

• SyrMom
    SyrMom Member Posts: 575
    edited November 2012
    Options

Another one is SAM-E; but I would consult with someone familar with dosing, etc.  I believe it's safer than St. John's Wart, with regards to chemo.

• AnacortesGirl
    AnacortesGirl Member Posts: 119
    edited November 2012
    Options

I looked at the drug interaction checker and didn't see any problems with Aromasin and lexapro. I would give the lexapro 1 more week. It can take up to 4 weeks before lexapro starts working. I was switched from Paxil to Lexapro and I noticed a big difference the 4th week.

• ebann
    ebann Member Posts: 1,474
    edited November 2012
    Options

Hi everyone, new to the group

Barb from FL: As far as anti depressants many of them take awhile to take effect. You have to give them time like a few weeks some less time. I am bipolar so I am on anti depressants, mood stabilizers, and sleeping meds which do not seem to react to the chemos. You can get the jitters and you may need to lower the dose which is possible. Make sure you are keeping a record of your moods, what you eat, drink lots of water exercise if possible. Exercise can make such a difference even if it is a short walk. As far as a natural resource for anti depressant my naturalpath says it is not wise while you are on chemo to go to something natural cause it take 6 months or longer for it to actually get to your body. Plus when you are depressed as he puts and going through such a critical time in your life it is like slugging through mud. Another thing he told me was that when I was done with chemo then he will look at us going a more natural rout. He said that I would need to still take my meds I am on now and take the natural ones for a year together. Natural works for about 70% some not. You have to have the right combo. So you may want to consider a naturopath and discuss this with him. Of course they are not covered by insurance. 

Blessings, Elizabeth

• goldie123
    goldie123 Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2012
    Options

i was taking prozak through all my hormonals but when i want on tamoxifen my doctor changed me to lexapro because she told me that doesnt interfere with the chemos or hormonals.   i'm still on it even though i have gone onto 2 other chemos

• justjudie
    justjudie Member Posts: 196
    edited November 2012
    Options

Hi Scorchy, I am sorry about the pain in your back. It sounds bad. Any chance they can radiate the spot? Radiation can really kill the cancer and often gives almost immediate pain relief. Be sure and ask about that. Also, you are right about the cats! They are fur bearing free loaders alright. You are THEIR staff, not the other way around.

Hope you will soon have relief.

• samiam
    samiam Member Posts: 39
    edited November 2012
    Options

I'm afraid I'm about to join the bone mets ranks.  If so I'll be back seeking advice from you smart folks.  I have an appt. with the onc tomorrow to discuss bone scan results.  I just picked up a copy of my blood test (I know ... impatient) and see that my CA has gone up from 8.6 to 9.6 in 2 months.    That is very scary.  My ALK PHOS however is very low.    I had some severe rib pain  3 months ago, but it had gone away after about 6 weeks.  All this waiting is SO scary.

• Wilsie2
    Wilsie2 Member Posts: 240
    edited November 2012
    Options

I am starting Xgeva this month and am happy to read there are few side effects.  Fingers crossed insurance will pay..,.,

• LizLemon
    LizLemon Member Posts: 191
    edited November 2012
    Options

Hi, Wilsie2 -

I have bone and lung mets (pretty newly dx'd a month ago). My onc is going to start me on Xgeva also, and is in the process of trying to get it approved by the insurance. If I start, it'll be in 3 weeks at my next appt.

LL

• Wilsie2
    Wilsie2 Member Posts: 240
    edited November 2012
    Options

LL, I'll be thinking about you and will check in.  At least I had 15 years before this awful disease came back into my life, for which I will forever be greatful.  Now I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop.....

• swimmom3
    swimmom3 Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2012
    Options

Hello ladies, I posted this on the "just diagnosed with a recurrence" thread this morning, but I realize you would be the experts when it comes to bone mets, so I'm posting here as well:

Hi everyone.  I'm not new to the Boards as I have followed them since my diagnosis last year, but I am now formally a member after finding out that my post treatment scans showed 2 lesions on my spine.  Biopsy was performed yesterday to get receptors and confirm diagnosis.

To say I'm terrified would be putting it mildly, I think I'm mostly devastated at the thought of leaving my husband alone to raise our sons.  My two oldest are not really children, they're both in college so that gives me some comfort, but my youngest is only 12, a sensitive, old soul who was devastated last fall when I was diagnosed.  We haven't told him anything yet and I'd like to keep it that way for a while until we know what treatment will be.

I'd like to know how other women are facing this Stage IV diagnosis and what treatments you might be undergoing and how successful they are.  I want to have my info ready when I talk to the MO next week.  I also just want to have some hope that I might be here to watch my youngest get his high school (and wish for the stars college) diploma.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice you can give this Stage IV Newbie.

• chrissyb
    edited November 2012
    Options

Hi Swimmom3 I've been a bone metster for three and a half years now and am stable nd doing fine. I also am ER/PR+ and because of that have only been given the AI's. I was on Arimidex first for fifteen months and then after a small progression I was changed to Femara. I've been on that for just over two years and don't have any further progression.

You can live a good many years with none mets so its more than possible that you will be around to see your youngest graduate college.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• Frapp
    Frapp Member Posts: 343
    edited November 2012
    Options

This is the worst time....waiting for the treatment plan. You have every possibility of seeing that young man through college. You will be surprised at how well the aromitase inhibitors keep that cancer at bay. So sorry you had to join our club, but i know younwill find the ladies here are incredibly supportive and knowledgeable. Hang in there, it will get easier.

• swimmom3
    swimmom3 Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2012
    Options

Thank you chrissyb and Frapp for responding so quickly.  I'm glad to meet you although I know we all wish it was under different circumstances. 

You're so right Frapp.  Waiting is the worst.  I'm sure I will feel better with a treatment plan in place--it's just like when I was first diagnosed last year--couldn't wait to start chemo so I could feel like I was actually doing something to kill the cancer.

I know in the coming days and weeks I will probably have lots of questions as I navigate this new diagnosis.  I'm glad to know that you and the other ladies of the Stage IV community are there to help me find my way.

• HLB
    HLB Member Posts: 740
    edited November 2012
    Options

Hi Swim, I was just dx'd with 4 spinal metts in July. I was indescibably sad but I'm over it now for the most part. I'm planning on at least 30 more years. Doing letrozole and Xgeva and alkaline diet and some other alternatives. Sorry you are faced with this shitty disease. So unfair.

• kayrnic
    kayrnic Member Posts: 111
    edited November 2012
    Options

Hi swimmom3,

I was diagnosed with spinal mets in March. Plus a new primary breast cancer (that came first and that's how the mets were discovered). Anyway, radiation was first....10 treatments to my L1, L2, and L3 vertabrae. It was a piece of cake. Very few side effects. Now I take tamoxifen daily and get an infusion of pamidronate (aredia) every 3 months. Pet Scan in July showed regression and my next scan is January. I have a 14 year old son, and I too am hoping to see him graduate high school and maybe even college. I remember those first few weeks after diagnosis....I was a wreck. It does get better, especially once your treatment plan is in place. Keep us up to date. You will be in my thoughts!

• AnacortesGirl
    AnacortesGirl Member Posts: 119
    edited November 2012
    Options

Very happy with my onc appt last Thursday. TMs dropped from 173 to 155 in the last month. I have my fingers crossed that they'll continue to drop and that I can stay on Femara/Xgeva for the next few years. Also got a script for ritalin. It's only 5 mg and so far I haven't noticed any changes. But I'm going to continue taking it; hopefully it will build up and become more effective.

• chrissyb
    edited November 2012
    Options

Christy so glad that the Femara/Xgeva seems to be working for you and dropping those markers so quickly. It's always a good feeling when we know a treatment is effective.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• HLB
    HLB Member Posts: 740
    edited November 2012
    Options

So I was having a pain in my back and decided to look at my reports to see exactly where the spinal mets are to see if that is where the pain is. It not and the pain went away. But anyway, the report says I also have mets in the manubrium, which I had no idea about! I guess it doesn't really matter, 4 mets or 5, what's the diff, but weird the onc didn't mention it at all. Maybe he didn't agree with the report idk. Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving!

• RangerMom
    RangerMom Member Posts: 205
    edited November 2012
    Options

Just reading the posts to the newbies, which I am one, had scan in May showed possible mets in the spine, then a biopsy showed no cancer cells, then a follow up bone scan on 11/7 showed spread of more mets in spine and hips. No biopsy this time, too painful, had my 1st treatment of xgeva and faslodex on 11/14.  The negative biopsy in May just have just not been in the right spot! I have pneumonia that is possibly more mets, doing a ct scan in 2 weeks to check that out. This first initial dx and getting treatment underway, family all in an uproar, fights going on, denial going on, I'm a total wreck.  My daughter and significant other had a verbal fight on Txgiving day, he left for the night. Haven't heard from him. He's in denial, she's telling me I don't have long to live. I need them both in my life. I need help and lots of prayers