Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

It's amazing what a difference the right pair of shoes can make. But finding that perfect pair is so darned hard :(

• Amstar15
    Amstar15 Member Posts: 25

I had posted on her that my wife's MO had prescribed her arimidex even though she was 40 and wasn't menopausal before chemo.

Today we got an email stating her charts had been updated. Upon going in and looking at her results from her last blood work that was done I saw the following:

Estradiol (which is the main estrogen produced in the ovaries) her level was 5pg/ml and post-menopausal levels should be 0-50 - so check she is within post-menopausal range

Then on her FSH (follick Stimulation hormone) she is 74.6 MIU/ML and post-menopausal range is 23.0-116.3

So I guess as long as her MO continues to do blood work to ensure her ovaries haven't started back up arimidex maybe the way to go. Then I would assume that if they do start up then maybe Lupron would be discussed.

I feel a lot better now about her MO's decision... and hopefully he will fortify that feeling when we meet with him on the 25th.. especially since she has handled the arimidex with no issues (she was already having hot flashes before taking it.. so as of right now she isn't having an SE)

• Mommato3
    Mommato3 Member Posts: 468

Amstar, how often will she have her hormone levels checked? My MO told me she would not put me on an AI unless I did OS because of my age. There's no way to know if or when I would become premenopausal again. Unfortunately, a couple months after my last blood test we tested again andmy estrogen levels jumped up. I have read that if you're on an AI and become premenopausal again, it will stimulate your ovaries to produce more estrogen. Basically making the AI ineffective.

• amylsp
    amylsp Member Posts: 96

Yes, that is the danger of a premenopausal woman going on the AI drugs. The ovaries could turn on again, at any point, making the AI drugs ineffective and possibly flooding the body with even higher than normal levels of estrogen. Your wife could have the blood test one day showing post menopausal levels, and the very next day her ovaries could reactivate. Your wife would have no way of knowing that she was premenopausal again, unless she immediately starts menstruating. It wouldn't be discovered until the next blood test.

• Amstar15
    Amstar15 Member Posts: 25

I agree that there is no way to tell if her ovaries kick back on. I want to have the discussion about incorporating Lupron with the arimidex.

Just feel better that as of right now (last week) her blood work shows she is menopausal...so taking AI until we seem the MO on the 25th should be okay.

Curious to see what he says... Maybe his plan since the appointment is basically 2.5 weeks after she started AI and her bloodwork shows post menopause was to see how she handled AI .. And since she is handling it well then he will be prescribe the ovarian suppressor instead of switching her to tamoxifen?

Definently a lot of questions to be asked when we see him again

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Amstar15 I was tested for 5 months before my MO was convinced I was staying in menopause but I had just turned 50 two weeks after chemo ended and was perimenopausal before starting chemo. You wife may want to continue those blood tests a bit longer.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Lupron plus Arimidex will really do a whammy on her bone density.....I'd just get a hysterectomy.

• new2bc
    new2bc Member Posts: 254

The same thing happened to me with Arimidex. My estradiol jumped to 153 after being on Arimidex for 11 months. My doctor did not check my blood levels during these 11 months to see if I am still postmenopausal. My ob/gyn visit last week revealed a big cyst on my ovary and my blood work revealed my estradiol level was increased. I stopped having hot flashes starting last month so I was suspecting my status changed to premenopausal. I stopped taking Arimidex the day I found out Arimidex could have this side effect. I will have a hysteroctomy next month plus ovary removal. My ob/gyn and my oncologist did not know that Arimidex could stimulate the ovaries to make more estrogen. My oncologist said he thinks my cyst is because of Tamoxifen which I stopped taking one year ago.

• pontiacpeggy

New2BC, your onc didn't know that Arimidex could stimulate the ovaries? I'm very surprised at that. Good luck with your surgery next month.

HUGS!

• florida2015
    florida2015 Member Posts: 46

how do u get it straight from manufacturer

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

Blows my mind that some MO mess around with all these hormones without testing. Its like we are just guinea pigs. So disappointed!

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

florida2015, call 855-748-2655 and tell them you want Arimidex direct. Or, you can google Astro Zeneca website and sign up online. Easy. I get 90 pills at a time with automatic renewals. And, it comes from Lakeland, Florida, so I get it in a day! No SE so far.

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

I see my MO today. I'm going to broach the idea of using Estrace or Vagifem. I have my first uti since starting anastrozole. I have been trying so hard to avoid this happening. I refuse to allow my qol to be compromised. I can't live with bladder pain and infections not to mention painful intercourse.

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

Can overies be stimulated after going through menopause 15 years ago?

• pontiacpeggy

Molly, I hope you get some help and answers. No fun having UTIs and definitely hard to have fun when intercourse hurts. Please let us know if you are given solutions. Are you quite susceptible to UTIs?

HUGS!

• pontiacpeggy

MySunshine, I wouldn't think so. When those women who want to get pregnant long after menopause, they are given tons of hormones. And remember, Anastrozole is preventing estrogen from being produced. Your ovaries should be just sitting there taking up space :)

HUGS!

• Pbrain
    Pbrain Member Posts: 773

Has anyone had elevated blood calcium now that they are on anastrazole? My doctor is looking into all sorts of things, but I can see from my medical records that my blood calcium rose after I started taking this in August of 2013.

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

Peggy,yes I am very susceptible to UTI's. He said no way to any estrogen. On top of that I gained 6 lbs since starting anastrozole! Hopefully once rads is finished I can start swimming.

• lago

Pbrain I did but just slightly. My PCP felt it was because I had the blood test in the morning after I took my morning pills which included calcium and a diuretic. Ironically now on Exemestane I don't seem to have the issue even though the blood draw is still in the morning.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

MO follow-up today and she says no to PCP idea to switch from Anastrozole to Tamoxifen because of bone loss. Bloodwork does show osteoporosis but she says SE's of Tamox, blood clots, high blood pressure, eyes (retina issues, though rare) and others, not worth the switch. Put me on one weekly pill, Fosamax, to deal with bone loss. Will start that on Saturday and hope for no issues. She also prescribes as much water exercise as possible (which I do anyway).

Other than that my lab results are good (except they didn't do D3 test).

• sherry67
    sherry67 Member Posts: 370

Lago,

I'm on Exemestane to now and what a difference from Arimidex. Still have some achyness to my kness but not pain. I take some Advil and it helps a lot..

Sherry

• pontiacpeggy

Molly, I'm sure you will feel better once you can start swimming. You've had such a long, challenging few months, the weight gain isn't totally surprising.

Patoo, I take Fosamax also. I am religious about waiting 30 minutes before eating. I drink a lot of water in that half hour. And since I already have GERD, I found that on Fosamax days (and most days), I do better having a big bowl of oatmeal for breakfast rather than Cheerios (which I really do prefer). The oatmeal seems to make a nice cushion covering up the pill. So I've had no issues with it and have been taking it for a year. Glad the rest of your test results were good.

HUGS!

• lago

sherry67 Isn't it amazing how much better it is. Granted not everyone has good results but a lot of do.

patoo I started with Fosamax and got gerd. I knew it would happen but in order for insurance to cover the other meds I needed to prove I had the issue. Didn't even take a week. That's why I'm on Prolia. I've been on it a year. Seems my spine is considered stable. My hip improved but it's my spine that's classifying me as osteoporosis.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,537

lago, love the new picture!

• pontiacpeggy

Lago, I like new new picture too! I was prepared for the GERD since I've been coping with it for years. So I really paid attention to what worked and what didn't work for me. So far so good. Glad the Prolia is working for you. Finding the right hormonal and bone-preserving meds are tricky.

HUGS!

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

Thanks. Never had GERD and hoping it does not present itself. Will be certain to take first thing in morning with lots of water and no food for at least 30 mins afterwards. MO did mention Prolia if necessary. lago, yes, love the avatar.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Whycan't you eat for 30 min ? My friend is on it, she said no coffee either? I'll never make it without coffee.

• pontiacpeggy

Patoo, I find it really challenging to remember to take my Fosamax the minute my feet hit the floor so I've taken to putting the pill box in a glass on my dresser and my glasses around the glass. That way I actually do remember! BTW, there is pill similar to Fosamax (Actonel)but newer and still brand name and really expensive. My MO asked if I was having problems (apparently some people find the size of the pill an issue though they recently made it smaller), I said no and he told me about it and it isn't always covered by insurance. Well, I pay $4/month for Fosamax and it would be $216/month for Actonel. That was a no-brainer!

Spookie, no clue why you can't eat for 30 minutes. I want to eat the minute I get up. You're supposed to drink 8 oz of water. Well, I can drink that much water but not all at once first thing in the morning. I read someplace that you can get that amount over the 30 minutes so that's what I do. Nope. No coffee for that 30 minutes. I usually have coffee after breakfast (damn GERD again :( ).

HUGS!

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

zit needs to absorb on an empty stomach----my synthroid is the same way......I'

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

My pharmacist said with my Fosamax take "at least" 8 ounces of water, more is better. In the summer, I take mine and a water bottle and go walking!. Waiting for the coffee is hard if I stay at home. I don't make the coffee and set a kitchen timer so I don't jump ahead.