Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Just throwing out this thought on the hair thinning: Yes, it could be Arimidex causing it but I wonder if the thinning is more a result of all the estrogen being sucked out of our bodies? You'll notice that most older women have some hair thinning most likely from low or no estrogen. My thought for whatever it is worth (probably not a whole lot :) ).

I also have no bloodwork looking for tumor markers. My DIL who had colon cancer actually has a cancer that DOES have tumor markers so they test her regularly. Apparently most cancers don't - which is too bad :(

Everyone please have a wonderful Thanksgiving! I am just so thankful that I'm here, my health is good, but missing DH.

HUGS!

• Valentinebambino
    Valentinebambino Member Posts: 13

Get a new doc! U r paying them! Records need to be correct. My onco retired and i got shuffled to different doc. Absolutely did not like and she blew off my questions! Am now going to good onco. He is busy but his nurse is wonderful. Calls u back even if 8 pm at nite!!

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

My MO (who I am not crazy about) ordered before my next appointment CBC, comprehensive metabolic panel and estradiol levels . I will probably switch MO's once I am past some of my ongoing treatment. Right now I have a great BS so I know I can rely on her as well as my RO. Mine just doesn't really listen, his physical exam is minimal and he is always in a hurry. I was also very disappointed that they managed to misfile my genetic test results so I didn't end up with a BMX so now have to have a second UMX.

• pontiacpeggy

Molly, don't you wonder how doctors like your MO stay around "practicing" medicine? I don't blame you for switching. Of course, I'll have to switch all my docs when I move next summer. I am not looking forward to that. Hopefully each of my current ones will be able to recommend someone or a center for me to transfer to.

And you're so right - this IS family.

HUGS!

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 948

For what it is worth I put a request into the surgeons office to review and verify/correct the diagnosis that is printed on the paperwork that I receive. I am thinking that that may have been imputed wrong into the patient program by staff. I would leave that facility on a heart beat if it wouldn't be my insurance carrier changes every year and some of the companies that my husbands employer changes to have limited particularization. I am hesitant to switch Dr.s every year because of insurance and this hospital generally participates in most plans.

• brutersmom

Yesterday I went to ULTA and talked with the head stylist. She was great. She suggest I start with Nioxin. And recommended 3 items. She did not recommend the kit. She then showed me the Rogaine products and recommended that I add that if the thinning continues. She suggested I save that until later. What I find interesting is that I am not aware of any baldness on either side of my family. I even looked through many of the old pictures and everyone has hair into their 70's and 80's. so I am hoping that this will slow down and is just an adjustment phase and possible a stress reaction which I understand can happen.

Peggy, I am pretty sure the hair thinning has a lot to do with the estrogen loss not the drug itself.

• pontiacpeggy

BrutersMom, My paternal grandmother had thin hair and wore a hairpiece - mostly for the bangs I think. I "think" but am not positive that my hair was thinning a bit before I started Arimidex but things were so stressful (mostly with DH and, of course, BC) that I have no idea if I'm right or not. Stress I'm sure contributes to the problem, too.

HUGS!

• brutersmom

I have always had extremely thick baby fine hair. The kind you cannot do a thing with or even perm. It has always shined and looked thick when cut right. Not so much now. Change is hard. I am hoping that some of this may be stress related and not hormone related. I did not have any changes to my hair after pregnancy or through menopause. My mother had thick hair even at 90, I have hair like my dad. I have very straight hair. My brothers hair is thick coarser and wavy like my mom.

• Chris13
    Chris13 Member Posts: 112

Brutersmom, my BS (a woman) told me before starting my AI (I did it 2 months before surgery) told me hair thinning was one of the SEs. Maybe only women are concerned about that, since hair loss is to typical of males. BTW, I am fortunate in that red hair is thick...

I understand your reluctance to change the MO... what a boondoggle our healthcare system is! With the blood tests, I assume you are being tested for cancer markers to monitor for recurrance or mets.

• brutersmom

I was told no blood test except for the routine look work once a year. Unless some type of concerns is identified.

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

Pumpkin dessert and apple pie baked for Thanksgiving at my sister's house. Maybe I can convince her to have a mammogram, she is a year older than I am and she has had 1. Enjoy family and friends...I have much to be thankful for this year ...Happy Thanksgiving!

• pontiacpeggy

TJH, I hope you can convince your sister to have a mammogram. Wonder if she's afraid of what she might find out? Pumpkin dessert? Not pie? What do you do with the pumpkin? Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

HUGS!

• tjh

She has always been a bit of a chicken....the dessert is a pumpkin pie mixture with a butter and nut crumble on top.....Enjoy!

• pontiacpeggy

Ah. Dessert sounds good. Get being a chicken!

HUGS!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Yes your hair is thinning due to less estrogen just like getting osteoporosis on these meds. Sure many of us would have these issues anyway but the issue is we are having them sooner because these ESDs (Estrogen Sucking Drugs) are doing their job.

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

tjh, that sounds yummy! My pie is in the oven. My daughter and her boyfriend are cooking for us.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Lago, you need to create a cartoon character of the ESD.....LOL.

• exercise_guru
    exercise_guru Member Posts: 333

Ladies can I ask if after Chemo your hair grew back while you were on Arimidex? I will have an oophrectomy right after Chemo and go straight on Arimidex. I truly do not want to be bald forever.

• rosesrx
    rosesrx Member Posts: 264

Exercise guru, after chemo started Arimidex and still getting Herceptin every 3 weeks., now 12 weeks PFC and hair is filling in about 1/2 to3/4 inch long. Mine was always slow to grow needing to get a trim every 4 months. Keep in mind when your hair first left post chemo, mine days 17-25 so you basically can't count on regrowth the first 3 weeks post final chemo PFC. I figure wearing my wig for 2-3 years to get to collar length.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

I have some hair. It hasn't come back as thick as it was, but it's there. I don't know if it was the chemo, or the ESD. Others are more fortunate. And some use minoxidil.

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532
    I had no problems with hair growth and I didn't use any special shampoos or products. In fact, I swear I had less hair shedding than I did before all this.
  • lago

Redhead, remind me after January 15th. Right now I'm working 6-7 days a week.

exercise_guru Yes. Check out my hair growth linky. dates on the lower left. My hair always grew pretty fast but a little slower on Herceptin. I had it cut/colored every 3 weeks once it was colored.

• ra1950
    ra1950 Member Posts: 6

Hi all.  completed 33 rounds s of rads (28 + 5 boosts) on 11-20 and began Arimidex on 11-21. The only SE so far is some slight dizziness that passes after a few hours. I already take a sleep aid every night and may switch taking the Arimidex at night if the dizziness gets worse.

• Amstar15
    Amstar15 Member Posts: 25

My wife went from 6 treatments of TCH to just Herceptin for the next year. She is getting Herceptin and taking arimidex right away after chemo stopped and her hair is starting to grow back. She is on several supplements right now -- womens one a day vitamin, caltrate (she is only 40 and her chemo shut down her ovaries) and biotin -- which I believe has helped with her hair growth. I call her my GI Jane.. anyway -- short answer for a long winded lead up -- yes you hair will start to grow even when on Herceptin and arimidex. (PS her last chemo was oct 7th) so a month out from it

• lago

Nice of you to call her GI Jane. My husband said I looked like Darth Vader sans helmet. I felt I looked more like Gollum. But I looked great in a scarf!

• Amstar15
    Amstar15 Member Posts: 25

I tell her that all the time.. you sure can rock the H&LL out of a scarf... and her eyes just pop with short hair. Its nice that things are slowing getting back to normal and after her expander switch, her heart scan, and her bone scan then plastic surgeon follow ups (all in December) -- she will be on the once every three weeks for Herceptin and every 3 months for her Onco...

And alittle darth vader humor can be good at times --- I wont tell you our nickname for her when she didn't have hair or anything on her head

Happy

• tjh

My DH has called my GI Jane as well...now he is telling me I am a super short punk rocker....Mine is coming in 3/4 inch or so, last chemo was July 13...I do take Biotin.

• lago

Don't worry my husband took great care of me. We do get through life with humor. I did marry him because he makes me laugh (Yeah I told the rabbi that ;) )

• tjh

I have found through this dark time that if I didn't laugh occasionally at myself and what I have been going through I would cry non-stop. Small jokes like reminding DH of all the $$$ I am saving on shampoo and conditioner. SillyHeart

• pontiacpeggy

TJH, humor definitely helps. For me, thinking positively also helped. And it really was awfully nice of you to thoughtfully lose your hair save your hubby all that money! And no visits to the hair dresser either Singing

HUGS!