Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950

TikkasMom,

Like you, I did not have chemo or rads. Regarding hair loss, there are dermatologists who deal with hair issues, and they can really make a difference. Mine (Dallas Ft. Worth area) treats many women who have had breast cancer. I'm pleased with the results of his treatment of my hair.

• NotAgain2015
    NotAgain2015 Member Posts: 70

Good Morning!

I am staring at my generic bottle of Anastrazole which I need to start taking today. Do you guys recommend which time of day is best or does it matter? I've already got some insomnia going post my double mx/DIEP surgery in December.. So not looking forward to this necessary evil

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

I take mine in the morning but that it so if I forget, I can still take it at night! I hate those little pill boxes but that is the only way I can keep track of whether I too the medicine or not. Before BC, I didn't take any medicine regularly. Now, I have "morning and night" pill boxes. It makes me feel very old and reminds me every day that I have BC.

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950

NotAgain2015,

I take mine at night because my MO said it could make me sleepy. Since then of course, I've read many posts on here about women having insomnia with Anastrazole!

Pick a time to take it, and see how that works for awhile. You can always change it.

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 948

You will need to figure out what works for you. I take mine at night. I wasn't sleeping well when I took it in the morning I also feel like I am in a fog for a couple of hours after I take it. Evening has worked out really well for me. As you can see, everyone is different so don't be afraid to try it one way and then change it if you feel the need.

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

I take it at night because, like brutersmom, it makes me foggy and sleepy.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

I take mine in the morning. It works fine for me. I have quite a few meds and supplements that I take. DH came up with a good way to manage them. I have Dixie cups set out for my morning, noon, dinner and bedtime pills. I fill the cups each night. I line them up left to right on the counter and I know instantly if I've missed anything.

NotAgain2015, have you taken Anastrozole before? Do remember that not everyone has SEs or they are mild. Ladies who post most often here obviously DO have SEs and need the help coping and can get it here. I think you should not assume that you will have problems. Most of us don't make that assumption with the other meds we take. Hopefully you'll sail through with no problems. And I'm sorry that you are having to cope with all this again - that sucks.

HUGS!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

PNY that's what happened to me. It's because the new lashes are pushing the old dead lashes out. Granted my eyelashes did thin a bit on Anastrozole but nothing Anastasia duo powder can't fill in.

• pboi
    pboi Member Posts: 148

I started with insomnia during chemo. When I started anastrazole I started taking it in the morning, but found it made me sleepy. I now take it at night.

PB

• NotAgain2015
    NotAgain2015 Member Posts: 70

Thanks all for the replies. I had taken Tamox 1.5 years and stopped due to SEs. Trying to stay positive. This is my chemo, having a recurrence was quite the wake up call!! I will push through the no matter what and hoping for no SEs. So far so good today

• lago

NotAgain2015 I'm doing better on Exemestane than I did on Anastrozole. So remember there are other estrogen sucking drugs to try.

• Jbmb
    Jbmb Member Posts: 2

please help me understand why I should take this at all!! According to the doc chances are 30%-40% I could have recurrence and the therapy reduces it to 20%. I was told chemo was not necessary and mine, if recurrence would be like I just got rid of, slow growing. I'm almost 62 and if this cancer took 10-12 years to get to 2cm why would I risk all the side effects? Having the surgery again would not be as bad as the side effects in my mind, please help me understand.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

First, you may not have any se. The ladies who don't, don't usually post here. Why wouldn't you want to do everything you could to minimize your risk for reoccurrence

• bjb01
    bjb01 Member Posts: 46

jbmb.....at the end of the day, it's a personal choice. for me (and I'm 60) I had lumpectomy, chemo and rad. Yes, the SE of hormonal tx can be difficult, and it is for me. I did start on arimidex and was changed to aromasin because the SE's were awful. MY personal choice is to minimize the chances of recurrence. chemo sucked, I prefer not to go through that again....from what I understand recurrence is a game changer. I respect one's decision not to treat in any way they choose. but for me.......it's worth it to do all I can :)

• pontiacpeggy

Jbmb, have you taken any Arimidex yet? Do you have SEs? Not all of us have SEs. I don't. I have friends who took it for years and had no problems. Some people do. But some people don't. I was 69 when I started it. Frankly, I want every last day I can get for my life. If Arimidex helps, then I'm all for it. But that was my decision. You have to make your own.

HUGS!

• ra1950
    ra1950 Member Posts: 6

I will be deciding next week at MO visit whether to stay on Arimidex with significant SE's or taper off.  My Oncotype score was 6.  Had Stage 1/Grade 1 ER+/PR+/HER2- with lumpectomy and 33 rads.

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

After 4 months on Anastrozole my SE's seem to be easing up. I still have stiff joints but I can live with that. All of a sudden last week I started feeling better. I assume my body is adjusting to it finally.

• pontiacpeggy

Molly, I'm so glad. You've had so many surgeries and so much going on, it's no surprise that your body is quite mixed up.

HUGS!

• lago

Because if it spreads to another part of the body you will have to have chemo. I've took Anastrozole for 3 years till the side effects were too much for me and switched to Exemestane (Aromasin). I've been on it for 2 years now and I will continue. Exemestane is not causing any pain for me.

Thing is slow growing cancers have can have a higher risk of recurring further out. The reasoning is, well if they were fast growing they would recur sooner. You want to prevent metastatic disease.

My chance of getting breast cancer at the age I was diagnosed with my risk factors and lack of family history was less than 2%! If you can reduce from 40% to 20% (that reducing your risk in half) that pretty decent.

And remember you can always quit or switch to a different drug.

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 948

Jbmb, I understand your thinking. It helps if you fill out your profile and make it public. First not everyone gets side effects from the drug. A lot of people that post here at the ones who have issues. I have been on it for 4 months with no side effects. If it keeps the cancer from returning 10 to 20% that is a good reason to take the medication in my book. Every cancer is different. My suggestion would be to try it. If you get side effects sometime switching brands can help. You may find you have no side effects at all.

• betsyross
    betsyross Member Posts: 2

HI Brutersmom

I am almost finished with radiation and set to start on anastrozole at the end of the month I am terrified of the SE's that I have read about. Your experience seems to be better--- I will have to rethink this whole process, I have read that there are supplements that can provide the same effect such as DIM and calcium d-glucarate which are natural with no side effects? I am very confused and stressed out about this. Any thoughts?

• pontiacpeggy

BetsyRoss, as others have stated, most of the ladies posting on this thread do have SEs and need help. But most of us who have no issues, don't bother because we don't have problems. Don't assume you will have problems. You don't with most any other medication that your doctor provides, so why would you with this one? If you do have SEs, then you can decide what to do. But even the ladies with SEs would dearly love to continue on AIs because they do provide a way to keep BC at bay. Of course, only you can decide what is most important to you. For me, the chance at a cancer-free life is very important. Ad I've had no trouble in 16 months.

HUGS!

• spookiesmom

Even aspirin can have se.

• pontiacpeggy

So very true, Spookie! And how are YOU doing?

HUGS!

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

My SE are very doable. To me, far less threatening than another bout of cancer. I am 58. I do take brand name and the SE are far less than when on a generic.

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164

Hi Betsyross,

I know you are processing a lot right now and everything is scary. As everyone has mentioned, most of us out here on this string have had or are having some SEs. When I first started, I had some joint pain but now it's barely noticeable - and it wasn't like PAIN, just stiff. I think after a little while your body makes adjustments. If your doctor recommends the arimidex or another med, I truly hope you will follow his suggestion - he/she is there to help you if you have issues (as in switch to a new med, etc.) and we are here for a sounding board and friendship and offer our experiences to help you through.

• RhodyMMM
    RhodyMMM Member Posts: 278

jbrnb, it's certainly an individual decision. You make reference to having the surgery again, but you also need to consider the chance of metastasis to distant areas such as the liver, bones, and brains. Those areas are completely different than surgery to remove a tumor. But you should talk with your MO about the risks vs. benefits and make an informed decision. At 62, you still have a long way to go! (I work in long-term care and our average resident age is 88!)

• spookiesmom

Doing ok Peg, how about you? Getting ready for the move?

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

40% to 20% is cutting your risk in half. Seems worth it to me. Many have few, if any, side effects. I was on Tamoxifen first, got cataracts, but I'll take cataracts over cancer any day.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

Jbmb, Rhody gave great response (not that others weren't also good). You never know, if the BC comes back, where it might rear its ugly tentacles.

ra1950, if you haven't already, consider changing the manufacturer of your anastrozole or go for the brand name from AstraZeneca. Others have had good outcomes when they did that. If that doesn't work your MO can put you on something else as lago mentioned above.

Betsyross, I'm also one who have had little to no SE's. I started 7 years ago on brand-name Arimidex and switched over when it went generic a couple years ago. I have had several different manufacturers and no problem with any of them. Do check out the alternative and complementary threads for exhaustive information about natural remedies should you choose to try that route as it is your body and your choice.

The posters who report horrific SE's come because they need our support and cyberhugs. The posters who stay around and report little or no SE's come because we want to give encouragement. As someone on BCo always wrote, 'SE's are easier to treat/beat than recurrence'.

Hug HUGS to all.