Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• gypsyjo
    gypsyjo Member Posts: 112

Hugs to all. It helps to know that we are not alone. I am lucky to have found such a group of courageous wonderfully supportive women. We will get through this

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Molly, considering that I don't actually KNOW anything, but some of my SE Michigan group have had good luck taking antidepressants. Wellbutrin I think. Seems to help with some of the SEs. It might be worth exploring. I gather the University of Michigan is doing a study on it. Perhaps they could help you. Just a thought.

HUGS!!!!

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

Thank you, Peggy. If things don't improve I will discuss with MO.

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

My mental state is definitely in a funk. Not sure if it is school stress, upcoming retirement, or the fear of the anniversary of my diagnosis. I have also been freezing the last few days instead of night sweats and hot flashes. I am very ready for a new normal that is the same for more than a week at a time.

• maxdog
    maxdog Member Posts: 47

Molly50-I feel like garbage all the time too, and it's very tough! My knees, ankles and feet ache so much it is difficult to move around. Not so good when I have a 5 year old to keep up with!!

• Molly50

Oh dear maxdog, you are too young to feel that way! I'm 54 at least it's not unexpected to have some joint pain. What I can't get used to is feeling like crap every day. At first I thought it was rads and then I thought my SE's were not bad but every day gets worse.

• vettegirl
    vettegirl Member Posts: 136

I am sorry to see so many of us suffering so much, but it makes me feel less alone.  Molly, I am 51-and feel pretty crippled up-especially with my leg issue going on right now.  I can barely dress, drive, get up and down, everything is a struggle.  Currently awaiting my mri results on my leg, and praying it is something fixable.  I know how much I need these drugs, I am trying my best to stay on them. 

• vettegirl
    vettegirl Member Posts: 136

Oh-and I am on a low dose anti-deppressant.  It doesnt help me with SE's-just with moods I guess.  I dont really see a lot of difference.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

Reading how so many of you are having problems and want to mention again to check the manufacturer of your anastrozole. Many have had to only change manufacturers, mostly to Teva brand or directly from name brand arimidex from AstraZeneca to get a better QOL. Check your manufacturer and after your holiday from this med try and get a different manufacturer to see if you have a different experience. So sorry you all are having such problems which you absolutely don't need on top of the BC dx itself. Hug

• pontiacpeggy

Patoo, good reminder. It is quite amazing what fillers can do if you aren't tolerant of them.

HUGS!

• Molly50

I may have to change pharmacies. I will ask my pharmacist if they carry Teva brand. I don't think I can justify the brand name to my insurance company.

• ChicagoReader
    ChicagoReader Member Posts: 54

Molly, Maybe this program will be of some help in getting the name brand: https://www.arimidex.com/arimidex-direct-enrollmen...

If I understand it correctly, all if takes is a prescription from your MO and you can get the medicine for $30/month. The part about Medicare is confusing, but I think it means that patients on Medicare also qualify, not that the program is limited to those on Medicare. Maybe others here who have tried the program will chime in about their experience.

I've been thinking of trying the name brand myself, as I've having been pain in my hip, knees, legs, and feet. The right hip is the worst, and it's starting to wake me up at night. I've switched to the Teva pills, but it's still a problem. I started taking Claritin about a week ago and will see if that helps.

Hope you can find some relief.

• Megansgrandma
    Megansgrandma Member Posts: 29

Molly50, When I first started Arimidex [generic], I had horrible SE's. My joints hurt so bad I couldn't hardly walk, insomnia etc. I was ready to change meds and then after the 6th month the SE's lessened to a manageable level.

Hopefully you can try the name brand or a different generic and your SE's will lessen. God Bless.

BTW, I am 62 so I know I will have some pain..lol

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

Oh my . . . just picked up my AI and was busy checking on a refill for my husband so didn't look at my bottles until I got home. Discovered they are the Accord brand instead of the Teva my MO has specified. I got bad joint pain in my feet with Accord last year. So it's back to the pharmacy for me!

• pontiacpeggy

Golden01, I would be so PISSED OFF! Read that pharmacist the riot act. That's a no-go. BAD!

HUGS!!

• Cardinal
    Cardinal Member Posts: 10

hi Molly and all you other fine ladies, I have been on brand name Arimidex for 8 days (early days, I know) with no notable side effects. I particularly asked my MO for the brand name rx based on my reading here (and addl research) about SE seen more often with generic. She was completely fine with writing 'no substitutions' on the rx as the insurance advised me would be required to bypass the normal generic replacement. Hope this might work for you

I'm amazed how much more expensive the Arimidex is here in Canada than US - $177 Cdn/30 day dose; so grateful for having insurance benefits kick in 1 month prior to all treatment starting :)

• PNY
    PNY Member Posts: 90

I have only been on Arimidex for almost three weeks but I was told by someone who has been on Arimidex for the past three years, she was told to eat 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with a Tablespoon of flax seed oil a day and the bone pain should subside she said it worked like a charm and she has been pain free since. I just started to take that today so i can't say if it works or not but I figured I may as well give it a try.

• pontiacpeggy

PNY, how interesting. Sounds harmless. I'd like to hear how it works for someone who is having trouble with SEs. Wouldn't it be great if it does work???

(BTW, have you had surgery? You might want to update your profile and make it public).

HUGS!

• PNY

Pontiac Peggy

I work on a computer all day and yet no matter how many tomes i update my profile it does not show up. I am perplexed. I don't know what i am doing wrong. If you have any advise please do tell me

I was diagnosed in late July had a double mastectomy in September and one of the two sentinel nodes plus one additional node were positive so I went through 4 rounds of (TC) chemo which i completed in December. I started the arimidex on January 11 AND i am scheduled for my exchange this Tuesday although i am now getting a huge cold and just praying i feel better before then.

• PNY

Pontiac Peggy, I went on yet again, I think i got some more info to show up but not all that i filled in:)

• Marie711
    Marie711 Member Posts: 35

PNY: I don't know if you checked this, but when you add a diagnosis it is not public until you change it under settings.

"Adding a new diagnosis is private. You can update them to public under Settings. Public diagnoses will appear in your Discussion Board signature.
    Privacy Statement"

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

Namebrand made a huge positive difference. My oncologist filled out paperwork to go with the prescription so my insurance didn't question it

• Molly50

Thank you for the link ChicagoReader. I will definitely check into it. I have to talk to MO's office since I don't see him until May.

• pontiacpeggy

PNY, every single thing has to be made public. That's a nice feature but it sure makes it challenging! Looks like you've added more information.

HUGS!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Just an FYI. I switched to Exemestane (Aromasin) after 3 years on Anastrozole. Physical side effects are 98% improved.

• carolyn62
    carolyn62 Member Posts: 51

I'm discouraged and nervous. I've had diarrhea for over a week from the anastrozole. I called the MO several times to discuss my specific situation, and I was told to take a break for a week and then challenge myself. I stopped taking it over a week ago. I'm not dehydrated.

The problem is I had most of my rectum removed two years ago due to stage one cancer, and I have little control because of that. I am able to manage it with meds and diet, but the anastrozole has thrown my colon into overdrive. I decided to stop the anastrozole until I see my doc Feb 16.

I'm looking into natural alternatives and plan to see a naturopath to help me figure this out. I don't feel they really listened to me at the MO office

• pontiacpeggy

Carolyn, have you considered changing MO's to get one who understands your very unique situation? I don't know where you are located but is there a university hospital or major cancer center near you? You do need an MO who listens and doesn't poo-poo your concerns and problems. Good luck!

HUGS!

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

Pharmacist missed it but I should have checked. They apologized profusely as soon as I handed them the bottles (well, after they checked to be sure I hadn't opened them!).

• carolyn62
    carolyn62 Member Posts: 51

Thanks, PontiacPeg. I live in a very large city, and my MO is part of MD Anderson cancer care. I think the problem is that we're so big. She has a lot of patients, and calls are routed first through the front desk, then to the nurses and someone finally talks to the doc. Although I tried more than once to explain it all, I don't believe my concerns were passed along in detail. The leaves me feeling that I have to wait until I see her in person

• pontiacpeggy

Carolyn62, Ah. Get it now. It's hard when your message goes through so many people and most of it gets lost. Hope you see your MO soon. BTW, where do you live? Maybe there are BCO'ers in your area?

HUGS!