Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Sure! Welcome to our warm flashy world!!!!!

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 948

After going the rounds with the insurance company it seems my only choice for Arimidex is generic accord brand or switching drugs. The pharmacy is telling the Dr's office that Pack and Teva are not longer making the drug and Accord or the Brand name are my only two choices. Not sure it is true but that is what I am being told. Since lip and tongue burning are an early symptom of food allergies for me with certain foods the Dr's office has suggested I try Femara. Hope this one works. One thing I have noticed is I tired easily on anastrozole and I am still tiring easily without any medication. I guess I am still recovering from the fatigue of the 7 months of months, two surgeries, radiation therapy, pneumonia and lots of stress and my husband having a heart catheterization with two stints at the end of January.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

BrutersMom, BC and its various all cause fatigue. No one really escapes it. You've had far too much going on. I hadn't heard that the Teva generic Arimidex wasn't being made. I filled my prescription in January. And their website says they are still making it: Teva Anastrozole. It sounds like some mis-information is out there. I'm assuming that the Teva website is up-to-date.

NeoGirl - wow, no surgeries or radiation? That's really unusual. You certainly got a lot of mileage out of the Tamoxifen and hope you'll get even more out of Arimidex.

HUGS!

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596

Brutersmom - my onc gave me some sample and on it there was an offer to get monthly non- generic Arimidex for $30. Not sure what the reg price is. This does not require insurance or anything. More info can be found at their website.
  • farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596

Here's a question for you ladies. I'm in Denver this week with my kiddies. So I went from 500 ft above sea level to a mile above sea level. When we go to Estes Park (around 8k feet) an air bubble in one of my implants clicks. I find my joint issues are worse at altitude also. Thought?

• spookiesmom

Walmart told me they couldn't get it. Walgreens said no problem. I have 3 coupons for the brand name, pm if you would like me to send to you.

Did you check with MO for samples

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 948

I am dealing with express Scripts. Sometimes I feel like they offer one brand and if you have issues with it you are just out of luck. They make excuses. The sad thing is they will not deal with me directly I have to go through the physician's office or the insurance agent. I have had allergic reactions to different generic brands in the past and have had to shop pharmacies to get the drug in a specific brand. It can be very frustrating. Moving on. Waiting for sunshine and warm weather to reappear her in PA.

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

PNY, Thank you. I will try the cottage cheese and flaxseed oil. I was doing great until this past week. All at once my hip joints are going crazy. I actually had an appointment with my oncologist last week and she was pretty sure it was Arimidex. She said joint pain starts around 6 months for some women. Just my luck to be one of them.

I am starting to take a Clariton as Peggy says it helps. We will see.

• pontiacpeggy

MySunshine, I hope Claritin works for you. While I don't have any SEs from Arimidex I do have normal 70 year old creakiness, especially first thing in the morning. Claritin did seem to help. Fingers crossed!

HUGS!

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 74

Cholesterol

Just had my cholesterol tested last week and it was 250. While I've had high cholesterol before my highest was 220. Last year it was 176. After doing some googling, I see that a side effect of arimidex is high cholesterol. I've not been on the med a month, but it makes me wonder. Anyone else have a rise in cholesterol on this medicine

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

I have Express scripts (DH is retired USAR) and take name brand Arimidex. My oncologist wrote the prescription and paperwork to get it. If paying out of pocket for name brand it is $250-500 a month.

As for cholesterol...mine is stable, but I have been on cholesterol meds for 15+ years.

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260

I have express scripts also, but have been on anastrozole by Teva, if the are no longer making, will try the ARimidex.? The clariton works for me, a little stiff occasionally but that's cause I sit a lot. But the joint pain was there for neulista, so it does help joints, in my case.

• pboi
    pboi Member Posts: 148

Mysunshine...I had been doing pretty well with the Arimidex too, up until about the 6 month mark when the R hip and R knee pain kicked in. So I'm glad to see what your onc said. It's not too bad when I'm up and moving around/walking, but I really feel it when I'm sitting/lying down or have been still for awhile. Think I'll give Claritin a try too.

PB

• pontiacpeggy

MySunshine and Pboi, Claritin is definitely worth a try. Not expensive in the generic, not apt to cause problems with anything else, rather harmless. All pretty big plusses in my book. I'm just sorry that it doesn't work on my allergies :(

HUGS!

• Goodie16
    Goodie16 Member Posts: 297

Neogirl - welcome! I'm stage 4 too. Good luck with the switch to Arimidex. I'll start taking it soon...I'm just waiting for the Lupron to get my levels into menopausal range. I had to stop tamoxifen due to horrible joint pain.

farmerlucy - I never considered altitude could effect joint pain. My BFF and I have planned our annual girls hiking trip to Estes Park this September. I will def have to remember to be aware of the joint pain and have my meds ready for the trip.

• neogirl
    neogirl Member Posts: 54

I am dealing with express scripts for my meds. I just got my Arimidex filled this week. Dr wrote a rx for a 90# but my pharmacy would only fill 30 at a time. Said the insurance would only cover 30 pills at a time at $5.00 a refill. So then I get an email this am and express scripts said they can fill it for 90days at a time for $14.00. So, i am doing the express scripts for now. Hope I made the right decision but I had a prescription with them for the previous 7 years and haven't had any problems at all.

• spookiesmom

I get all my generic meds 90 at a time. Must depend on your insurance?

• pontiacpeggy

Before I hit Medicare age, I could only get a 30 day supply. Now I get 90 if the prescription is written that way.

HUGS!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Teva is one of the largest producers of generic drugs. I would be surprised if they stopped making anastrozole. The site is down now but check to see. Maybe they are no longer distributing to the USA but I still find that hard to believe. www.tevagenerics.com/

• Fearless1956
    Fearless1956 Member Posts: 41

PNY and MySunshine and any others who are interested -- I have a friend who was treated for colon cancer about 3 years ago who now daily consumes the cottage cheese/flaxseed oil combination (and he has friends who swear by it who have not had recurrence for many years).  It's a protocol that was developed by a German biochemist named Johanna Budwig in the 1950s. There are specific ways that the cottage cheese & flaxseed oil are supposed to be mixed in order for the chemical reaction to occur that brings about the best effect.  I'm not sure about the claim that it will prevent joint pain.  However,  I'm having some joint/muscle discomfort from time to time also, so I may have to try it myself.  The reason I haven't tried it yet is that I do not like cottage cheese.  I may need to find a way to add something else to the top of the mixture (as I have read) to make it easier to get down.  I've included a link below that explains more about the Budwig diet/protocol and how to combine the ingredients properly. 

http://www.cancertutor.com/make_budwig/

• spookiesmom

this is what we meanimageimage

• PNY
    PNY Member Posts: 90

Fearless1956, thanks for the article. As I said someone told me they were told to take it for their joint pain and it worked. But hey if it helps reduce the risk of recurrence even better. I have to reread the instructions as I was just told to mix together the two ingredients and chow down. this seems to add ground flax seeds.

Thank you so much for the link. I am going to try to do it:)

• Fearless1956

PNY--You can use the flaxseed oil and not have to grind the seeds.  Just keep it in the refrigerator.  I'm glad I went back and looked at it again because it says something about using yogurt.  Maybe I can use that instead of cottage cheese. 

• PNY

Fearless1959, thanks for re reading. Maybe chemo brain affects my reading comprehension:) (even if not I am using that excuse) And yes my flaxseed oil is in the fridge. I have only taken it once or twice as I am pretty much ok but now that I see it can help reduce recurrence i may as well go for it. and you try try yogurt if you like that better. Does t make a difference of what type of yogurt. I like greek:)

Thanks Phyllis

• Fearless1956

Phyllis,

I'm not sure what kind of yogurt either, so I'll have to investigate a little more. Greek yogurt is better for us anyway, so that's my guess.

Debbie

• PNY

Fearless1956, if you come across any ideas for my now very dry skin I would love to hear them as well. I can imagine the flaxseed will help that (and lots f water) but i notice now that my skin is dry and I feel like i need to exfoliate alot something i rarely ever did.

Not loving the new skin feeling:)

Phyllis

• bjb01
    bjb01 Member Posts: 46

pboi......seems like what your describing is greater trochanter bursitis. I developed this bilaterally after starting arimidex. very painful at night and difficult to sleep as I am a side sleeper and that is where the problem is. up and walking isn't the problem. once seated and/or still for just a short time, the getting up and started is horrible. I feel 85 :( once moving, it's all good. anti-inflammatories can help some, but injections or PT is most helpful. I chose not to have injections........SO SO SO tired of doctors!

• pboi
    pboi Member Posts: 148

Thx bjb01! I'd been wondering if I had that too based on my symptoms. Will have to get it checked out.

PB

• bjb01
    bjb01 Member Posts: 46

pb....I take 200 mg of Celebrex at night (sparingly) and it helps me sleep just a bit better. as you know, sleeping is not easy on all these meds. therapy is WAY better than shots. just one apt with a therapist to set you up with a home exercise program. saves money doing it that way and you do it in the privacy of your own home..............good luck

• pennsygal
    pennsygal Member Posts: 264

Well, it looks like it might be on to another AI for me. The SEs from the arimidex were really awful - I was waking up every morning feeling like I had the flu, complete with headache, muscle and joint pain. I have lupus, so it may be that the drug is aggravating joint issues I already have. Anyway, they told me to stop taking it for two weeks, and if I feel better, they'll try another drug. Has anyone else had this experience?

Never a dull moment!!