Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Reader, I can tell you my MO wouldn't have liked that comment either. He said there is really no easy way to tell the AIs are working - except the BC doesn't come back. It would be nice if there were a test for that. Very glad you are doing well on anastrozole.

HUGS!

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 931

Thank you Peggy. Also glad your house had a visitor today and the process is moving along.

Hugs back to you!

• Molly50
    Molly50 Member Posts: 3,008

Herb, have you tried Claritin? Many women have successfully used it for bone and joint pain. You might also scroll back a couple pages to the drunken raisins recipe Pegg posted. Tjh, in your pocket for tomorrow. I understand there is a test to see if AI's work... I believe it's called BCI. I think that is correct. Or at least if is likely to work beyond 5 years http://www.biotheranostics.com/patients/bci/

• octogirl
    octogirl Member Posts: 2,434

At my last MO apt, I mentioned the joint pain I've been having, along with rather bad stiffness...MO suggested I give it another month, then go off it for a month until my next apt in April, and if taking a month break helped significantly, we'd know it was the Arimidex and not just my (pre-existing) arthritis getting worse.....so now that original month is almost up, and I am having second thoughts about the experiment. Still having joint paint, but it isn't bothering me as much: it is better when I exercise (which I have been doing more of)...and I keep thinking I should try Claritin (it really helped me during chemo), but I haven't gotten around to it.

So, the funny thing is, I am not sure the pain is lessening: rather, am I just getting used to it? And is that bad or good? I'd hate to have it interfere with QOL....

Just not sure I really want to take the break from the Arimidex for a month...has anyone else done this?

Hugs!

Octogirl

• pontiacpeggy

Here's RuthBru's recipe for Drunken Raisins:

Drunken Raisins'-a natural arthritis remedy

To prepare gin-soaked raisin, first empty one box of dried white raisin in a shallow container. Only white or golden raisin should be used for this recipe. Then pour enough gin into the container to cover the raisins.

Cover the container ( but not with plastic, a kitchen towel is good) and keep it covered for 7 – 10 days on the to allow the raisin to steep in the gin (sitting out, not in fridge).

Allow all the gin to evaporate to leave gin-soaked raisins in the container. These raisins keep well when refrigerated. The popular advice is to take nine of these "drunken raisins" every day. Most users report improvements in arthritis symptoms between 1 – 8 weeks of using this remedy.

Why it works:

1. Golden raisins- the ONLY type of raisins worthy of the recipe- require sulfur or sulfides in their processing to make them golden. Sulfur is an active ingredient in 2 effective natural arthritis supplements: glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin sulfate. Golden raisins come from sultana grapes and are cultivated under the name Thompson seedless grapes in the United States.

2. Sultana grapes contain proanthocyanidins which are thought to help fight infections and reduce inflammation. Grapes also contain resveratrol, a powerful anti-oxidant that is being studied for many of it's disease fighting properties.

3. Gin is flavored with juniper berries and juniper berries contain Terpinen. Terpinen has anti inflammatory properties. The essential oil that is in juniper berries contains more than 100 compounds including myrcene (an anti oxidant), catechins (anti-oxidant), and flavanoids (anti oxidant). Test tube studies have shown that juniper berries can inhibit prostaglandin synthesis. Prostaglandins help mediate an inflammatory response and increase the sensitivity of nerve endings to pain. By inhibiting their production, a reduction in pain can occur.

HUGS!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

hbbae Yeah lets do coffee. I'm working today but it's too damn cold anyway. WTF 55 on Monday morning and now it's 20! send me a personal message and we can exchange phone numbers. BTW I'm being treated at Rush

DukeMom it could be the fillers. See if you can get another brand or the name brand.

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

GG27 wait thinning is a very common side effect of the A's. Its actually the lack of estrogen which causes it just as in the natural aging process. Im interested in knowing why your doc said it wasn't from the medication....

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

SuzyQ The benefits of weight loss and exercise should not be underestimated. Its benefits are huge in reference to recurrence. Not sure why more docs don't advocate it. Good luck and keep us posted....

• hbbae
    hbbae Member Posts: 9

hi lago, I just PM'd you - good to have another Chicago connection! My docs are at U of C, and I participate in some of NMH's informational programs, they are very good.

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

hbbae and lago we have 2 sons and family in Chicago....One son is Props Artisan for the Goodman Theatre, the other works at Argon Lab and lives in Oak Park, his wife is one of the Assistant Registas at U of Chicago. It is a small world

• hbbae

hi tjh, I just PM'd you too - very small world!

• kmpod
    kmpod Member Posts: 84

This post in another topic:https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/6/topics/... cheered me up immensely.

Hope for those of us who have been soldiering on with the nasty pill.

• hbbae

kmpod/Kathy, thank you for sharing this very encouraging thread, it is very hopeful indeed!

• Mommato3
    Mommato3 Member Posts: 468

Thanks ladies for the info on the joint or muscle pain. I had been having muscle pain in my arms. Almost like I'd been lifting heavy weights. I was starting to believe it was from the Anastrozole. My husband reminded me that I had installed the backsplash in our second home and was probably sore from that. Now that I think about it, he's right. I really hate saying that! Overall my side effects have been minimal so I certainly hope that no side effects doesn't means it isn't working. I have noticed that I'm having mood swings. Sometimes I feel really sad or depressed. It isn't all the time though. I'd hate to switch drugs when everything else seems to be going well. At what point do I decide my mental well-being is more important than the physical!?!

• pontiacpeggy

Mommato, I find that sometimes my muscles on my BC side complain too. I need to keep them stretched from the SLNB. I think many of us are depressed off and on just because of the BC, not necessarily AI related. You might talk to you MO about it. Perhaps a mild anti-depressant would help.

HUGS!!!

• StrongEnough
    StrongEnough Member Posts: 18

I wish there weren't so much variability in info from our docs.

To add my onc's 2 cents to the recent discussions:

• There is no correlation between side effects and effectiveness of AIs.
    • An AI "vacation" is a bad idea. SEs decrease because of the subsequent increase in estrogen - which also increases tumor activity. In other words, you might feel better in the short run, but might pay for it in the long run with a recurrence.

No matter what is said, though, I will choose a lower QOL now so that I have a life later!

• Suz-Q
    Suz-Q Member Posts: 110

Thanks kmpod

• Fearless1956
    Fearless1956 Member Posts: 41

I don't post often but definitely keep up with reading all the posts. I'm in my 4th week of being on anastrozole and still with minimal SEs. Yay!!

For those of you who have been on it for awhile, what other SEs have been the most bothersome besides the aching muscles and joints? I've read that weight gain can occur and wonder how significant that has been. That's the last thing I need since I'm trying to shed a few pounds.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

Fearless, I think the most troubling SE aside from the joint issues has been trigger thumb (or other finger) for many and maybe carpal tunnel. I had a cortisone shot for my trigger thumb probably 4 years ago and the problem cleared up. I found I was getting carpal tunnel, also about 4 years ago and used hand splints 24/7 for a couple months and then only at night for another couple of months. Again the problem cleared up and has not returned. I've been on arimidex/anastrazole for 7 years with minimal SE's. I did gain some weight but with watching my food intake, plenty of exercise and support of the gals on the Let's Post Our Daily Exercise thread, have dropped nearly 40 lbs in the last 2.5 years.

• Fearless1956
    Fearless1956 Member Posts: 41

Thanks for the additional info, Patoo. I haven't heard of that possible SE. I know I have to get back into an exercise routine. Thankfully with warmer weather coming, it should be easier. I thought most were on this med for around 5 years. What's the reason you are still taking it

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

Well, I was posting about hip pain over the past two weeks, but it has gone away! I cannot think of anything I did to cause that much pain, but maybe something. Who knows. Anyway, soooooo happy it is gone! I was blaming Arimidex, even though I really have not had any side effects before this.

• tjh
    tjh Member Posts: 272

Mammogram all clear! I am so thankful!

• biscuits
    biscuits Member Posts: 2,158

That is wonderful news tjh! Do something fun to celebrate...

• StrongEnough
    StrongEnough Member Posts: 18

Fearless1956, along with joint pain, I would have to say that cognitive impairment is a major problem.

Congrats, tjh!

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

Great news tjh Hug

mysunshine, you have been doing an enormous amount of bending and lifting the last few weeks so that could be the culprit.

Fearless, my BC is ILC which is the sneaky BC, lump not showing up on mammo. Depending on who you choose to believe, recurrence can come after year 5 up to 10 so my MO (both old and new) keeping me on up to 10. The studies so far do not support staying on for 10 to be of benefit but who knows, maybe it will. Since I have no problems with it may as well continue.

• Sloan15
    Sloan15 Member Posts: 845

Glad your mammo was good. How long after rads should you get your first mammo?

• pontiacpeggy

Tjh, great news!

Sloan, I finished up my rads mid-October 2014 and had my first mammo April 2015. I also wound up having an MRI, too. For my next mammo in April, I'll have a 3D mammo (my first 3D).

HUGS

• Sloan15
    Sloan15 Member Posts: 845

Thank you Peggy, Reader, Molly and HH. So far everything's been fine

Oh, can you take anastrozole in tbe AM when you have coffee, or is that a not advised?

• Jerseygirl927
    Jerseygirl927 Member Posts: 260

I think anastrozole can be taken any time, they just like that you do it at the same time daily. Some side effects for me, seem to be weight gain, tire around the belly, still have neuropathy, but not sure where it came from? Anger issues, very easily angered, where I usually was a fairly even tempered person, insomnia pretty bad, tried pills in morning but couldn't remember to take, and joint issues, but feel the clariton works, I do take it daily. Have bought it on amazon prime for $24.00 for 70 count.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 931

Sloan I wasn't advised to take it at any particular time. I take it at night without a problem. Many take it in the am to avoid possible insomnia.