Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• gardengypsy
    gardengypsy Member Posts: 499

Joni et al,

I have only been on these drugs for a few months and I don't know a lot about them. Are we more likely to not have side effects with brand name hormone blockers?

• TwoHobbies
    TwoHobbies Member Posts: 1,532

Hi everyone. I am popping in to post this new study since many complain they cannot tolerate AIs due to aching and pain.

http://www.womenshealth.northwestern.edu/blog/brea...

I also recommend exercise. Another new study shows moderate exercise reduces inflammation. Its not specific to breast cancer but to inflammatory conditions.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/01/1701...

• jonib
    jonib Member Posts: 94

gardengypsy some members report having fewer aide effects with certain brands - even among generics. Seems Teva, one generic, gets good reviews on this board. Most people start on generics before trying the name brand.

• gardengypsy

JonI~ Got it. Do different pharmacists carry different brands? If so, why??

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

They usually only carry one manufacturer, but you can ask if they can order for you. Walmart can't get it for me, Walgreen has to order it. That small hassle is worth it to me to get the Teva mfg.

• Suz-Q
    Suz-Q Member Posts: 110

Good article TwoHobbies. I've been on Arimidex for one year now, however I take 4,000 in vitamin D daily and work out about 40 minutes 3-5x/ week. I don't take calcium because I make sure I get enough in my diet. My joint pain is there, but minimal. Sometimes it's in my feet, then my hands, or somewhere else, but very mild compared to many on this thread. I started using the Teva brand last spring because of the high recommendations on BCO. I get mine at Walgreens. I have to specifically ask for it and they always accommodate my request. If pain gets bad you can take a break from the meds. I did last summer and it really has helped. My fatigued went away completely after the break

• Crazywabbit
    Crazywabbit Member Posts: 54

TwoHobbies, I take 50,000 units of D twice a month and it keeps my vit D level around 60. I like it there since I also have osteopenia by T score but actually osteoporosis because of a history of ankle fracture. Ihad been on reclast every 6 months for 4 doses and now started Prolia last Sept. Will be interesting to see how much my DEXA improves.

As far as side effects I have found my Achilles tendinitis gone since I changed from generic aromasin to the generic arimidex. Hot flushes are a constant though on either but they are some better since my hyperthyroidism has been treated. That makes for a nasty twosome for both the hot flushes and increased bone loss.

Stay warm ladies.

• jojo0529
    jojo0529 Member Posts: 56

hi smurfette.. could you tell me how much calcium / vitamin d? One pill or is it calcium with vitamin d

• spookiesmom

not Smurffett, but I too take 1200 mg calcium and 5000 D3 daily. Make sure it's D3😍

• gardengypsy

D3 is best absorbed in liquid form.

• jojo0529

thank you

• gardengypsy

I am still trying to decide whether or not to stay on Tamox or try the AIs. Anyone care to comment on the chart below?

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/hormonal/com..

I posted this on another thread as well. I hope that doesn't confuse people..

• grandma3X
    grandma3X Member Posts: 297
    Gardengypsy- I have been on Femara for 10 months now and have not experienced any SEs. Minor joint pain, hot flashes, and failing memory were all there to some degree before I started on the drug and are probably because I'm postmenopause. Ask your MO, but I think data from clinical trials shows a lower risk of recurrence for ILC when taking Femara compared to Tamoxifen. That was a big factor in my decision to try AIs.
  • gardengypsy

Grandma~ Appreciate your advice so much! Until now, I have not considered the type of BC with the choice of anti-hormonal

• Mommato3
    Mommato3 Member Posts: 468

I've read on here about people having problems with trigger finger/thumb. Anyone have any issues with their wrist? There were a couple times in the first 8-9 months when it would lock up. It was real quick and didn't hurt for long. About 10 days ago my left wrist locked up and I couldn't move it. It still hurts really bad. Any ideas?

• Beachbaby65
    Beachbaby65 Member Posts: 39

My very slight carpal tunnel became horribly worse in just 3months of being on anastrosole took a month break and it had just started to feel little better when I had to go back on. Oncologist now wants me to get a nerve test because he's sure it's not the drug. He says a month off should have greatly improved symptoms if it was the drug.

• Smurfette26
    Smurfette26 Member Posts: 269

Sorry for the late reply Jojo0529. I take Calcium 1200mg and Vit D3 1000IU in a combo daily. I have also added a daily liquid gel capsule of D3. It's 5000IU.

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

Beachbaby...so sorry you are suffering. Also sorry that your doc is not validating that it could be a SE from anti hormone therapy.Seems like that happens a lot. IMO if it started to get better even a little then it could be the drug. I hope I'm wrong and the doc is right! Good luck and keep us posted.

• jojo0529

thank you Smurfette. I could not recall and threw the empty bottle out. I did not want to call the Onco. Even a phone call to the Onco gives me anxiety!

• Wildtulip
    Wildtulip Member Posts: 470

Hi ladies, new here. I'm starting Anastrozole today, combined with monthly Zolodax. This is my third AI..one gave severe joint pain, one I broke into a rash, so hoping this one treats me kind. Just want to say hi.

• bagsharon
    bagsharon Member Posts: 142

I saw my MO yesterday as a follow up to my first few weeks on Arimidex. I told him I was having joint pain so he did a Vitamin D level. Unfortunately, my Vitamin D levels are normal so I'm going to have to figure out something else. Probably losing weight and exercising. I would have preferred a pill.

Happy

• spookiesmom

try calcium. A lot of us here take it. I can feel it if I don't. I take 1200 mg daily on advise from my MO.

• trmtab
    trmtab Member Posts: 863

you may still need to up the Vit D...my Vit D was "normal" the range is 30 - 100...and it was 31. But my MO and others on this board have said it should be more in the range of 45-60...so I have been increasing my Vit D from the 1000 that was in my multivitamin to an additional 2000, then an additional 3000. With each blood test over the past year the Vit D is moving up but is just at 40, so I am now at 5000 total between the multivit and additional D-only pills.

• Goodie16
    Goodie16 Member Posts: 297

Bagsharon, if you are having joint pain, you might want to try Boswellia. My neuro onc recommended I take it after my craniotomy in 2015 to help reduce swelling/inflammation. I found it really helped with general aches/pains from the anti-hormonals too so I've stayed on it since then. My MO is aware and there are no contradictions with my other meds. I also take a Magnesium/Calcium combo, at the recommendation of my MO to help with joint pain. So far, so good.

• bagsharon
    bagsharon Member Posts: 142

I was kidding about the pill part; I actually hate having to rely on meds.. I'd rather try and get my weight down and see if that helps. I feel better on days that I run.

According to my lab results normal range for Vitamin D is between 30 and 80. Lower than 20 is deficiency and between 20 and 30 is insufficient. Therapy is recommended for less than 20. My level was 39.

• trmtab
    trmtab Member Posts: 863

yes 30 - 80

In addition to switching from generic to brand, increasing D, I am exercising more and have lost a little weight

Want to increase core strength before exchange surgery

• Imkopy2
    Imkopy2 Member Posts: 214

Hi ladies... I received my Lupron shot today, tomorrow I begin arimidex 😔 I'm thankful for this whole site & all of your wonderful advice & guidance it has been a true God send. Based on what I've read on AIs & the advice my sister in law has given, I went straight for arimidex (anastrozole) and didn't mess with the generic brands in fear of the awful SEs. I already have joint pain & trigger thumb, I'm not looking for any additional discomfort. I hope all is having a wonderful week <hugs>

• gardengypsy

My doctor just prescribed Letrozole. What is the difference between that and what you ladies are taking?

• Imkopy2
    Imkopy2 Member Posts: 214

Soooo annoyed right now and feel the need to vent. When I was diagnosed I basicallly went into menopause I think I had 1 crazy cycle that was a couple of months late & then that was it. But my doctor wanted me to be in complete menopause before I started arimidex which is why I had the Lupron shot at least until they could take my ovaries. My ob/gyn wants to wait until I finish with my exchange before she tackles the hysterectomy, my oncologist said the shot would medically shut them down until I have surgery. Guess who got their cycle today after 10 months.... my doctor was totally floored said to stop the meds and said we'll dicscuss it at my next appointment. I know this isn't a big deal but I have never flowed like this before plus my ass hurts from the stupid shot! Thanks for letting me vent

• Falconer
    Falconer Member Posts: 801

wildtulip- did your MO give you any sense of how long you'll be on monthly Zola? I'm also 46, was not menopausal when I got on the cancer train, but am trying the OFS and AI combo. Sorry to hear you had challenges with the AIs..