Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Smurfette26
    Smurfette26 Member Posts: 269

I've been on Arimidex for 12 months and my cholesterol has risen and my liver enzymes are now elevated.

Sjacobs146 I believe the AI is to blame.

This is from the Arimidex website:

"In a clinical study in early breast cancer, some patients taking ARIMIDEX had an increase in cholesterol. Skin reactions, allergic reactions, and changes in blood tests of liver function have also been reported".

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

Pet peeve....Docs not validating SEs from these powerful drugs!!

• MarcellaPa
    MarcellaPa Member Posts: 65

Hi all:

I started Anastrozole November 1, 2016 and have noticed a few possible S/E's. Most prominently, I've noticed a sense of urgency with urinating and some issues not leaking on the way to the bathroom. Oh joy...this is all I needed lol

I imagine my Dr. will say its age (I just turned 64) but to have this all of a sudden is suspicious. No burning, cramps, pain, etc. Just that "gotta go" feeling and trouble holding it. Anyone else having this experience?

I've had a little "word finding" challenge also and some insomnia. Daytime tiredness also. My joints were bad with bilateral knee arthritis so its hard to know if its worse or not.

I'm determined to stay on this drug but 5 years of "Depends" isn't going to cut it. : (

Marcella

• dtad

Hi Marcella. Just want to share that anti hormones can cause urinary tract problems due to lack of estrogen. Something to talk to your doc about. Good luck and keep us posted...

• Suz-Q
    Suz-Q Member Posts: 110

I started getting urge incontinence too and went to my Gyn. He said start doing Keegles. I have and it's really improved my problems. I would sneeze and pee a little or come home from shopping and couldn't make it from the car to the bathroom. Just awful

• trmtab
    trmtab Member Posts: 863

I recently started a once a week core/pelvic floor class at the local yoga studio...not a lot of movement during the class but then I was sore like nothing else the next day, so I guess it really was exercise!  Hope it helps with the need to pee problem...plus hope to strengthen my core before my next surgery.

I am one week back on Arimidex after a 2 week hiatus, now on brand using the mail order pharmacy for $30 a month vs my local pharmacy said brand would be over $900 a month...hope the switch helps with the SEs.

• gardengypsy
    gardengypsy Member Posts: 499

Hi All~

I am about to switch from Tamoxifen over to the AIs. I warn you, I may start asking annoying questions instead of rereading the thread!

For instance, should I wait some time before I start the AIs? Will a break be useful? Will that help me clarify the SEs?

Looking forward to meeting you all.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

GardenGypsy, your questions aren't annoying. That's why we're all here. To help answer them or point you in the right direction. Did you have SEs on Tamoxifen? If not, then I can't see why you would take a break between them. Remember, you may not have SEs with AIs. Not everyone does. I've been on them over 2 years with no issues. So don't anticipate problems. If they crop up, we'll try to help you with them.

HUGS!

• dacre
    dacre Member Posts: 7

Question regarding Armidex. Has anyone developed skin problems while using Armidex?

• dtad

Hi there. I do remember several women mentioning getting a rash while taking it. Good luck and keep us posted...

• Sjacobs146
    Sjacobs146 Member Posts: 155

Marcella, have you been checked for a UTI? I never have pain or burning when I get a UTI, which kind of stinks because I'm pretty sick by the time I realize I have one

• trmtab
    trmtab Member Posts: 863

In the last weeks of generic arimidex, I developed a dry/peeling patch at the base of both palms...a dime sized patch at the bottom of the thumb/palm intersection. No amount of hand cream would cure it, but after two weeks off in my transition to brand arimidex...no more dry patch.  ??? it will be interesting to see if it comes back now that I am back on meds

• bagsharon
    bagsharon Member Posts: 142

I'm a week in on Arimidex and so far my symptoms seem to be aching in my fingers and water retention. It's hard to tell if it actually the AI or bad diet/lack of exercise/excessive drinking from the holidays. For now, I'm choosing to blame Arimidex.

Happy

• MarcellaPa
    MarcellaPa Member Posts: 65

I haven't been checked for a UTI but that's a very helpful suggestion. Thanks!

• Anikinz
    Anikinz Member Posts: 3

Hi, I'm new to this site. Just started anastazole 1mg for 5 years. My BP jumped up to 175/109 with severe dizzy spells after 2 weeks on it. Im already taking valsartan 160mg for BP. BP has been OK since 2 days after I stopped the anastazole. I haven't talked to my oncologist yet. I thought I'd give it a week off and retry. Other than that, difficulty sleeping, some manageable loose stools. Has anyone else had the BP issue?

• kmpod
    kmpod Member Posts: 84

Anikinz, yes I had the abrupt elevation in blood pressure that you've been experiencing - to almost exactly the same level. It happened within a couple of weeks of starting the AI. MY MO was quick to say it wasn't the Anastrazole even though it's listed as SE on the Astra Zeneca site. He therefore did not provide any help in addressing the issue.

My GP was very responsive though. I'd been hypertensive for many years prior to the BC diagnosis and he had worked hard to stabilize my BP at an acceptable level. He immediately worked with me to get it back under control. Basically, I ended up doubling my dosage of existing meds (Norvasc, Bisoprolol and Atacand plus) and added Rasilez to the mix.

I've just finished my five years on Anastrazole and now I'm having to get the meds adjusted again. For want of a better term, my BP went "wonky" within a few weeks of discontinuing the AI. I had to cancel a long-planned vacation because of the lack of stability in my BP.

I think things are back on track now and I'm certainly feeling better. I'm hoping I can further reduce the dosage of some of the meds as time goes by.

Best of luck with managing this issue.

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

I had my 6 month oncologist check up this week, and yesterday had my annual internal med physical. This morning had labs drawn, Cholesterol has gone up to 208 from my anastrozole. Anyone know when they recommend treatment for elevated cholesterol? Expect it'll be a week or so before I hear from my doctor as to the plan.

Preparing for the deep freeze tonight, overnight low expected to be -25 with a -50 wind chill possible.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Puffin, my cholesterol always runs about 220. But my HDL is usually 60+. Don't wish to go on statins. I am not a fan. Both DH and I had reactions from them. I still have some leg nerves that are messed up from them. Not terrible but I won't take them. Perhaps you can easily take them - many people do. My experience has been negative. Of course, my experience with Arimidex has been positive. Go figure.

Your weather sounds terrible. That windchill sounds brutal. Stay warm! I'd forgotten you're in ND. Not that far from me now that I'm in Spokane. I'm so ready for winter to be over and summer to arrive. Are you snowed in?

Good luck!

HUGS!

• doxie
    doxie Member Posts: 700

I eat oatmeal every morning. Make musli from scratch and eat it cold,so my blood sugar doesn't spike. As long as I do this I have super high HDL and moderate LDL and triglycerides. Otherwise it jumps over 200.

• Almost_Summer16
    Almost_Summer16 Member Posts: 1

I started anastrozole about six weeks ago and am having more and more trouble seeing when driving. Getting double vision. Basically have to close one eye sometimes. The problem happens mostly for distance (also for watching a movie) Wondering if there is anything to do about it. At first I thought it was my contact lenses, but just got new prescription.I didn't connect it at first either.

• doxie

Did you change type or manufacturer of the lens? I once got lenses that reshaped my eyeballs, correcting my vision so by the end of the day I saw better without the lenses. I had double vision by the end of the day and vision driving was certainly illegal with or without the contacts.

• doxie

Did you change type or manufacturer of the lens? I once got lenses that reshaped my eyeballs, correcting my vision so by the end of the day I saw better without the lenses. I had double vision by the end of the day and vision driving was certainly illegal with or without the contacts.

• Hattiebell
    Hattiebell Member Posts: 2

I had my lumpectomy aug 9th.2016. Completed 21 radiation treatments. I started taking anastrozole oct 13. I took it thru Xmas. I have degenerative disk disease & si joint dysfunction. I was already being treated for chronic back pain for 16 yrs before the cancer. The side effects from the anastrozole made my back pain unbearable. I will see oncologist jan 19th. He will not be happy when i tell him i stopped taking it

• IHGJAnn49
    IHGJAnn49 Member Posts: 408

When I first started Arimidex, I had hot flashes and some joint pain.. but then I was told I had osteoporosis too, I had my first Prolia shot last week and no side effects, waiting to see when I have my bone density checked again.. Now, the hot flashes are gone and I have arthritis too, so always have some joint pain.. but feeling pretty good otherwise..

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

He may not be happy, but there are other meds to try.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Puffin, my cholesterol has run 208 since going on Anastrazole 2.5 years ago. When I took a break, MO tested it, and it was 188. I eat oatmeal every day, so there was no doubt the drug was driving it. I am like Pontiac Peg, I have resisted statins and will take my chances. My ratio is still ok.

• Anikinz
    Anikinz Member Posts: 3

Thank you for your reply. I'm going to talk to my oncologist and see if a change of med is warranted. Anastazole has the least side effects, according to her, but I'm willing to try another.

• bjb01
    bjb01 Member Posts: 46

i have been on all but tamoxifen. the least SE was the second time i tried Femara. i can only presume that the difference may have been the brand. the second one was TEVA. still have a lot of joint pain. and trochanter bursitis on both the left and the right. but it's less than the other brand. at the end of the day it's just very clear to me that i will be dealing with SE for the rest of my life. TEVA seems to NOT leave me constipated. it was just unbearable with the other brand. that in and of itself is such a plus. crazy how constipation can rule your life. i have tried to resign myself to the fact that "it is what it is" Clearly life will never be the same for us, and some days are fairly awful. but it goes on and so will I. i beat cancer. i can do this

• gardengypsy
    gardengypsy Member Posts: 499

Everyone~ Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. Due to what I think are horrendous side effects, I am going off the Tamoxifen and trying the AIs.

I feel as though an important take away from your stories is that it's important to experiment if you have options. Equally important is to continue doing absolutely EVERYTHING you can to keep Breast Cancer from returning.

((LOVE)))

• jonib
    jonib Member Posts: 94

I am on name brand Arimidex.I never planned on doing name brand but got here accidentally. I wanted Teva and when my pharmacy said they couldn't get it, I took name brand until I could shop around. Stayed on name brand because I did not experience side effects. Although I have prescription coverage I just switched to the Arimidex direct program and am paying out of pocket. The cost is less than my drug plan. Of course it's much more than generic but if you need name brand you should check it out.