Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038

One more thing. When do you take your Arimidex?

• chemicalworld
    chemicalworld Member Posts: 48

Thank you too PontiacPeggy !

I see my MO tomorrow, hoping to have enough time to go over any concerns. 

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Butterfly, no one knows why Claritin helps with the creakiness. As long as you take regular Claritin it won't interfere with the BP meds. Just don't get the D (Decongestant) version. It certainly won't hurt anything to try it. I take my Anastrozole in the morning. When I was just about to start, someone here said that it kept them awake so mornings it was. However, nothing keeps me awake so it really doesn't matter. Just so you remember to take it.

HUGS!

• Sjacobs146
    Sjacobs146 Member Posts: 155

I've been on Arimidex since December, and was on Tamoxifen for a year and a half before that. Other than hot flashes, never had side effects with Tamox, and no SEs except hot flashes from Arimidex. Recently, I've been experiencing pain in my knees and fingers. I lost my job a month ago, and since then I've increased my activity level including lots of walking, and yoga at least 3 times a week. Could this joint pain be a result of the increase in activity, or could I finally be experiencing SEs from the Arimidex? Did anyone out there not have SEs for the first several months, then had them kick in

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

Sjacobs....so sorry you are having problems with joint pain. The kind of exercise you are doing should not cause your symptoms. IMO it's most likely the Arimidex. SEs can kick in at anytime. There are things you can do to try to minimize your symptoms. There are some ideas on this thread. Also want to remind everyone that there is a thread on the forum for people who are doing well on anti hormone therapy. Good luck to all.

• butterfly1234

Thank you PPeggy hugs back.

Sjacobs - I've increased my exercise level and have moreaches and pains. It may be from you increased activity level. Hard to tell, Haven't started Arimidex yet so can't talk about my personal experiences yet. My issue right now is aching legs. Haven't had a decent night's rest in weeks without waking up in middle of the night. Can't blame Armidex.

• pinkchicago
    pinkchicago Member Posts: 2

Hi Claire- I'm in the same boat now as I've been on tamox for 5 years and now my doc wants to switch me to Arimidex since I just had a total hysterectomy. Wondered how it has gone for you?

• coachvicky
    coachvicky Member Posts: 984

PinkChicago

I started Arimidex the first week of April. The only true side effect I have had is that my head itches about 30 minutes after taking it.

I was experiencing many side effects but those were due to fatigue. I did not realize how the fatigue and chemo induced anemia were contributing to all the side effects I had (weeping, confusion, not sleeping ...). I had an iron infusion about 2 weeks ago and almost immediately this side effects were gone. My quality of life restored.

I also think I have not had side effects because I already take a Claritin pill daily, vitamin D, K, and a prescription vitamin B. I think already having these levels working in my body avoided the joint pain and neuropathy.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Coach Vicky

• Ruby3813
    Ruby3813 Member Posts: 27

Coach Vicky,

I'm also curious to see how Anastrozole affects me since I already take Claritin daily (Loratadine - generic). Hopefully, I'll avoid the joint pain too.

• Sjacobs146
    Sjacobs146 Member Posts: 155

I would not say that my joint pain is debilitating, just annoying. At the time I started Arimidex I took Vitamin D and calcium. Pills ran out a few weeks ago and I haven't replaced them. I just ordered a new batch, perhaps adding the calcium and vitamin D back in will help. I'll try Claritin as well. Thanks for the tips.

• butterfly1234

Let us know if you add Claritin and if it helps. I started Arimidex today and already take calcium and Vitamin D. I'm not sure if taking Claritin will affect high blood pressure.

Vicky - can you be more specific on your vitamin dosage.

Thanks all!

• butterfly1234

Another quick question. For those of you taking Claritin are you taking the 24 hour dose?

• Ruby3813
    Ruby3813 Member Posts: 27

Butterfly - I'm taking the 24 hour dose. One at night. As far as I know, Claritin does not affect or cause high blood pressure. I take Losartan for HBP which started when I was stressing out about the "C" word back in November, after my irregular mammogram.

I also take 5000 mcg of B12 and 5000 IU of D3.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Regular Claritin has no effect on blood pressure. Claritin D (Decongestant) does effect BP.

HUGS!

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260

Will be asking my MO about the Claritin. 1st visit after starting Arimidex is 5/12/17. Taking Fish Oil & other supplements (Calcium w/Vit D, MSM Glucosamine Chrondroitin - been taking for a number of years to ward off joint issues) & added Turmeric Curcumin with OK from MO before starting AI. I also use homeopathic Arnica Gel (Boiron) and tablets. Will share dosage, brand, etc. info in a later response.

• butterfly1234

Thanks all.

I posted on the Femara thread all the questions I have on why some of us get debilitating SEs and some don't. To my knowledge no research has been conducted to address these issues. That's unacceptable when so many stop taking these AIs due to QOL.

Will also try the Claritin if I notice increasing joint pain. Good news about BP

Celia - post specifics when you have time-thank you.

Hugs all.

• coachvicky
    coachvicky Member Posts: 984

Butterfly1234

I take 1200mg calcium with 1000 IU vitamin D, 8400mg cranberry with 1000 IU vitamin D. My prescription vatimin B is Folbee Plus 5mg.

Coach Vicky

• butterfly1234

Thanks Vicky and All for your great tips. Day 1 Arimidex and feeling fine. Know it's early and being positive.
  • Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401

Great attitude, butterfly! I'll be joining you eventually. Have to do my rads first.

MJ

• wallan
    wallan Member Posts: 192

Hey ladies:

I just started Arimidex yesterday. I little nauseous, less appetite. I hope SE are minimal.

wallan

• butterfly1234

Second day of Arimidex and I slept through the night for the first time in weeks. So far so good

• dtad

Butterfly....completely agree. Most MOs dismiss the SEs of anti hormone therapy. Of course not all. IMO it makes a big difference when they validate your symptoms and try to work with you so you don't have to make the decision to stop. I also agree as far as we know there have not been any studies on why some people do well and others don't. My personal opinion is if you do well with menopause you will do better with anti hormone therapy. That may times run in families. I also do not think we will see any studies on it until we are taken more seriously by MOs. Good luck to all navigating this complicated disease.

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 947

dtad and Butterfly, You are so right. There needs to be more studies for women who can't tolerate the Als. I am on who had to stop not because of pain but lack of sleep, (2 hours a night, 4 on a good nitht) brain fog, anxiety and depression. My mind raced constantly, i felt like my insides were shaking, and I was easily angered. My MO said there are just some women who cannot function on the drug and the only option is to be monitored closely for the next five years.

• Mlcclm1960
    Mlcclm1960 Member Posts: 1

I am searching for a natural homeopathic replacement for anaztrozole. Any suggestions tu

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950

Mlcclm1960,

You might look at this topic for more info on the subject:

Alternative drug to Arimidex (in forum Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment)

I will "bump" it so that it moves to Active Topics.

• wallan

Hey ladies:

I started Arimidex this week. I have taken 4 pills. I feel pretty nauseous and I slight headache.

Has anyone else had nausea on Arimidex? I see on BCO treatment side effects that nausea is listed as a side effect of Arimidex.

wallan

• dtad

Miccim....I'm not doing anti hormone therapy but am doing more natural things to lower my estrogen levels. Please feel free to PM or browse the alternative thread. Good luck to all!

• biscuits
    biscuits Member Posts: 2,158

wallan...I had nausea when I first started Arimidex. It eventually faded away, but took about six weeks to do so.

• wallan

Hi Biscuits:

Thanks. What did you do for the nausea?

Wallan

• biscuits
    biscuits Member Posts: 2,158

wallan...I used the Compazine that they gave me to use during chemo and only would need one tablet if the nausea was really bothersome. Otherwise, I used a lot of room temperature cans of ginger ale (diet ginger aleworks, too). I am a believer in ginger ale for stomach ailments...I was able to work all through chemo drinking it!