Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Options

Comments

• survivor_1234
    survivor_1234 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello everyone ,

I have been taking Armidex since last MAY 2021

I have developed GERD like symptoms

had a endoscopy done and results are normal.

feel very acidic and heart burn with epigastric pain with ARMIDEX

Have started taking omeprazole every day to keep taking the drug

anyone having issues with it.

sorry dont know how to start a new thread so just writing here.

would really appreciate inputs

will I have to take omeprazole for all the time I am taking ARMIDEX .

Thank you so much.

• humblepeace
    humblepeace Member Posts: 85
    Options

Survivor_1234 - I’m sorry that you’re having these symptoms with your digestion. I have also had issues with digestion as well as read that others on the forums have dealt with it. I did not take any particular medication for that SE, but after several weeks it did improve. In my experience some SE’s will improve over time while on these AI’s while others remain or become intolerable. I’m sure others will chime in soon with advice or share their experiences. I pray you will find relief.

Humblepeace

• AnnC2019
    AnnC2019 Member Posts: 93
    Options

So I took a vacation from anastrozole going on about 4-5 weeks. Just got tired of the aches and hair growth on my face. I realize it was probably a stupid move and so going to start again. Has anyone been non-compliant or taken a break

• annadou
    annadou Member Posts: 46
    Options

Hi to Ann & Humble and anyone else

I took Arimidex for 9 years then stopped. Within 2 years I was Stage 4. I had joint pains but nothing too serious. with it If it suits you take it If not get something else similar But if it keeps the tumour markers down that’s good Be vigilant Don’t ever think you are cured. There is no magic in 5 years. My onc just told me with positive nodes it was on the cards I would get metastasis I didn’t realize this I was too busy being ‘positive’ and a ‘survivor’. So my advice to you all is that if it’s working for you take it and hard as it sounds never assume you are cured

Peace and good advice to all

Ann

• survivor_1234
    survivor_1234 Member Posts: 2
    Options

thank you so much for your reply .so appreciate it.

• annie60
    annie60 Member Posts: 295
    Options

Survivor - I also have GERD. I take a pantoprazole. It works so much better than omeprazole. It is a prescription. I also take a probiotic every day that my gastroenterologist suggested. He takes it. You have to order it - it’s called Kyo-Dophilus multi 9. We get from Amazon. Have you looked up some diet suggestions - things to avoid? It’s not too bad - except coffee! I still have a cup each morning! Hope you are feeling better!

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974
    Options

Survivor--Look into what all you are taking, prescription and supplements. I know it's probably the AI but it could be something else. I have had digestive issues since shortly after starting Tamoxifen which I blamed. Then 5 years later, after finishing my Tamoxifen treatment, everything improved EXCEPT my digestive issues. Fast forward 2 years later and I decided to once and for all try to figure out the problem. I started by stopping ALL supplements which was all I taking so that meant fish oil, turmeric, ginger, magnesium, olive leaf extract, Vit D and a multivitamin. I then added each one back in one at a time. I was absolutely sure it was the fish oil and maybe the magnesium or the OLE but definitely couldn't be the Vit D or ginger (especially ginger since it helps ease a troubled stomach). Well, guess what....it was the fish oil AND the ginger!! Couldn't believe it. And when I mentioned it to my GP, he said that he wished I had mentioned my issues to him because he would have told me to stop the fish oil and ginger! Turns out they are both mild muscle relaxers that will actually relax the opening from your stomach to your esophagus thus causing my near non stop burping! 7 years of this hell and it's been 9 months since I quit both and haven't had an episode since. So moral of the story is to definitely tell your doctor and to look at what you're taking as well.

• map1002
    map1002 Member Posts: 9
    Options

Hi all.. new to this page... I'm on Anastrozole since Oct. I was fine for some time, but in the last few weeks, my hands/fingers are awful.. trigger finger, so they say, numbness in fingers too.. sigh. does this journey ever end?? (Stage II HER+++, chemo/lumpectomy/rads/tamozifen, now anastrozole)

I hate that I can't lose weight, really tired of trying... tired of trying to figure out what will help me feel better...

I think I just need a hug,.. and a beach vacation in my 20 year old body instead of my 55 year old one.

• deedledee
    deedledee Member Posts: 9
    Options

See your Mo or your Gp. I had that after 3.5 years but pain in elbows they said was tendonitis. Others have shared here regarding carpal tunnel as a known SE. My story... Mo wasn't helpful but GP did run b12 and found I have an autoimmune disease that blocks b12 absorption, D ,and iron. Will need high b12 supplements for life. The b12 deficiency caused nerve demylination so have neuropathy in upper arms down to hands which is also carpal tunnel. It was your same symptoms that finally spurred GP to run the vitamin tests. Hoping you can have a doctor look into this for you too. Stopped arimidex for a couple of months when I reported the swollen fingers, knuckles all turned purple, trigger fingers, and numb and tingling hands and fingers. I am back on the arimidex now for the last 9 months. Pain is more manageable though am likely left with the carpal tunnel and neuropathy as it took too long for the diagnosis and treatment. By sharing this I'm hoping to help in case you may have a vitamin deficiency and may be able to treat before permanent injuries. All the best for you.

• annie60
    annie60 Member Posts: 295
    Options

Map1002 - I had trigger thumbs for a little while. The issue did resolve itself. I wore those hand splints at night for a while. I once got carpal tunnel from playing a Gameboy! Hang in there. A lot of my earlier issues have gone away. I still get stiff when I sit too long and dehydration still sneaks up on me if I'm not careful.

Annie

• JLBinPDX
    JLBinPDX Member Posts: 71
    Options

Hi Map1002. I feel ya. I've been on Anastrozole for about 10 months--a couple months on Letrozole prior. I had a lot of joint pain and the thumb problems that you describe for months. But after about eight or so month, it's gone and my joint pain is minimal. The WEIGHT, however, is a different thing. I'm frustrated, like it sounds like you might as well. I don't weigh myself but I'll bet I've gained 20-30 pounds in the last 10 months. I don't eat differently, I exercise too little, but nothing seems to matters. I'm chalking at least half to 3/4 of the weight up to Anastrozole. It's super frustrating. It's hard to know to try another AI and just be fatter--ugh!

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,337
    Options

I just checked my weight chart and I gained about 9 lbs over the 5 years I was on anastrozole. However, I cannot attribute it to the AI. During that time I put my husband in a nursing home and finally was getting sleep at night and not having full responsibility for his care. He died a year later and I moved from Detroit to Spokane and settled into a very comfortable life. I've lost most of the weight I gained during the past year or so and I haven't been trying to. So who knows what caused the weight gain and loss?

HUGS!

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    Options

JLB - i wish I had an answer for you. I did not experience weight gain, but SEs and severity, seem to be different for each person. I wonder if your body is processing food differently and if some foods have become a problem.

• map1002
    Options

thanks for the info. I have my oncologist appt in 2 weeks. We shall see what he says. I’ve started drinking a shot of tart cherry juice in the morning as I’ve heard that may help. I take multivitamin each day. Dr runs blood test each quarter. So here’s hoping we have some insights

• map1002
    Options

thanks. I had lost 40lbs just before I was diagnosed. Needless to say, chemo etc and I gained it all back. Menopause, tamoxifen and now anastrozole and age. Just not fair. I try to diet, exercise whatever. Nothing seems to make a difference.

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    Options

Map - I am also using tart cherry in hopes that it helps with sleep. The concentrate is more convienent, also don't have to worry about apple/grape being added to juice, but there are brands that are just tart cherry. I diute 2+ TBSP into 8oz water, drink at breakfast and in afternoon. The afternoon is easy to forget. Mixed results so far on sleeping.

• anx789
    anx789 Member Posts: 241
    Options

hello there, I have an elevated calcium since last years, 10.3 - 10.4. My PTH is 29 which is normal so my primary ruled out parathyroid and told me not to worry since the result is within the margin of error. I stopped talking calcium supplement since August last year but this month it’s still 10.3. My onco will refer me to Endocrinologist. This calcium things is starting to bother me, if it’s not due to parathyroid, what is causing it and my mind is going to the dark side. Any input will be appreciated, anybody with the same situation?

• pontiacpeggy
    Options

Anx789, I went back 4 years and my calcium has mostly been around 10.1 to 10.2 with one 9.7 in Jan 2020. Three months after starting my anastrozole it was 9.8. Hit my 5 years of anastrozole in October 2019 and discontinued it at that time. My MO said to just be aware of it but at this level not an issue. I cannot take calcium supplements so that hasn't been a problem. I did take Fosamax for the 5 years of anastrozole. No harm in getting checked out. All my other numbers have been fine. So who knows?

HUGS!

• anx789
    Options

Thanks Peggy. Mine was the opposite, my calcium has been on the 9.8; few months after starting Anastrozole and Calcium supplements it went to 10.4, I stopped taking Calcium and went back to 9.8 but after few months it went up to 10.4, now it is 10.3. My primary ruled out parathyroid but didn’t do any testing at all.

HUGS TO YOU TOO! Congratulations on finishing A.

• pontiacpeggy
    Options

Anx789, Hopefully it is nothing. I'm not sure they know what all can cause raised calcium levels. Maybe they can track it down IF it is a problem.

HUGS!

• acucindy
    acucindy Member Posts: 8
    Options

I have had it too. I will be sitting work and in a flash - my stomach fills with hot acid! Yuck! I used omeprazole for a few weeks and mine just stopped.

I have more problems with waking from hot flashes every 2 hours.

• pontiacpeggy
    Options

Anx879, I just read an article (that I can't find of course) that excessive amounts of vitamin D(no amounts given, again of course) can elevate blood calcium levels. I have been taking 3000 units of vitamin d3 per day. So on the supposition that that might be too much, I cut back to 2000 units/day. Just a thought.

HUGS!

• anx789
    Options

thanks Peggy, I am not taking any calcium or Vit D supplements. The only supplements I’m taking is Ocuvite 50+ and fish oil. I will stop taking these two and see if my calcium gets better.

• pontiacpeggy
    Options

Anx789, from what I remember of the article, it takes several months for the calcium levels to fall. I have no idea if Ocuvite or fish oil could effect calcium. It is amazing what taking one good thing might do to something else.

HUGS!!

• stacy91965
    stacy91965 Member Posts: 18
    Options

Curious question about SE
    I read about joint pain, but not much about muscle pain. I ache! feel like I've don't a day of squats, I assure you I haven't. Hurts to go down stairs.
    Is this a coincidence or a SE?
    Thanks for any guidance, ~S~

• jkl2017
    jkl2017 Member Posts: 279
    Options

Stacy, I had constant muscle pain in my thighs when on Anastrozole. My MO was certain it was not an SE but when I took a month’s vacation from the AI, the pain disappeared totally within a week. I then switched to Exemestane and the muscle pain has not returned. If it bothers you enough, ask your MO about going off the Arimidex to see if that helps. You can always try another AI.

• nmj55
    nmj55 Member Posts: 3
    Options

After a month on Arimidex I started having bone and muscle ache also. I had also just gone back to work at that time. They took me off of it for 2 weeks and it all went away. However, I was put back on it to make sure it for the process of elimination. I get it. So after being on it a month again, the bone, muscle aches, trigger finger and hard time sleeping has returned. Walking up steps can be brutal. I take Ibuprofen and it helps but hate that I have to take it as much as I am. I sometimes alternate Acetaminophen.

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600
    Options

Nmj55, I can relate. We all have our different breaking points. I found the 7 month mark the worst. I could not go down stairs without holding on to the rail with one hand and sliding my hand down the wall with the other. Then by month 8 it was much more tolerable. It was strange. I switched to the teva brand at that time too so that may have played a part. The fillers can be different. I took Claritin for bone pain when I had chemo and still take it. Try it for a reasonable time that works for you then maybe consider switching. Hang in there

• Stellawt57
    Stellawt57 Member Posts: 65
    Options

Had a 2 1/2 yrs dexa scan recheck and my Tscores were excellent as stated by my MO. My initial scan was in the high end of normal, so the anastrozole has not affected me, I’m thankful for that. I’ve been taking a calcium supplement prior to my DX, I also stated walking and changed my diet which helped with some weight loss. I took a month vacation from my anastrozole in February then started taking it again in March. My SE did not return which Imgrateful for! As so many have said this is doable! Best wishes to all as we move through our path to good health.

• dulcea
    dulcea Member Posts: 145
    Options

After three months, I am still doing fine and am really having no SE that I can notice. EXCEPT, my hair has just starting falling out in gobs! I am going to be bald soon. I can't believe how much falls out in the shower and then in my brush. It's all over my pillow and my bed. It gets down inside my shirt and makes me itchy.

I mentioned it to my BS and she suggested biotin. Does this really keep your hair from falling out? My daily vitamin has 150 mcg of biotin in it so I wonder if I need more than that?

I really can't complain about this being the only SE, but really! There is long grey hair everywhere!