Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Options

Comments

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527
    Options

I am ten years out from my Breast Cancer diagnosis and just stopped my Anastrozole. I did two years for Tamoxifen and then have been on Anastrozole since then ... since I did not have troublesome side effects and my bones stayed okay, my oncologist felt staying on it until we "saw what the research shows" would be a reasonable path to take. The research is out now and shows that I probably didn't need to take it that long but I am satisfied with the decisions that we made. I am more concerned about my anxiety in not taking anything to keep my cancer away but I can handle that too!

Here is my question, since stopping anastrozole 2-3 weeks ago, I have gotten fairly severe joint pain, particularly in my right hand. Has anyone had joint trouble going off Anastrozole? I know a lot of women have trouble with joint pain when taking it but this seems odd and I don't know whether to give it a few weeks before seeing a doctor about the joint pain.

• cardplayer
    cardplayer Member Posts: 2,051
    Options

PontiacPeggy -I have a condition call avascular necrosis (AVN) in one of my hips. The other hip has been replaced. On a DEXA scan, it looks like osteoporosis. During one of my treatments, they were just about to start me on one of the osteoporosis drugs after they received the results of my DEXA scan. I stopped them, called my orthopedic doctor and had her send a letter to my oncologist. They can also check the bone density of your forearm as well.

• ml1209
    ml1209 Member Posts: 153
    Options

I have been on anastrozole for almost 5 years ( August 2022 will be 5). My liver enzymes are all wonky. Anyone else have this issue. GI Dr feels it is the AI, PCP is more concerned. I had a fatty liver prior to chemo as it is, so I am sure none of this has helped. Would appreciate others experiences. Thank you!

• cleo54
    cleo54 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Lady Gwendolyn, Where are you getting The Teva brand? My pharmacy has switched and I've been calling all over and can't find another who can/will order it. I'm desperate as my SE's are manageable on the Teva anastrozole. Thanks!

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    Options

cleo54 - I am in the same boat re: finding TEVA brand. Two months ago, my pharmacy advised they would no longer provide TEVA brand & could not find it anywhere else. Had switch to Accord brand and SE's are worse. 4 years and 8 mos into the 5 year AI plan, so hopefully, only 4 mos to go. Will "power through" for now.

• l8blmr
    l8blmr Member Posts: 101
    Options

I am also trying to find TEVA brand anastrozole. Is anyone familiar with Teva Canada? A compounding pharmacy near my sister said they can fill my Rx with Mfg: Tev. When I search Tev it shows Teva Canada Innovation. TEVA is listed as TNS. The NDC# is the same as TEVA pharmaceuticals. But, I fear it will not be the same pill and have fillers that I react to like Accord brand anastrozole. Any information would be most helpful.

• Jewelweed
    Jewelweed Member Posts: 46
    Options

I am one week Into taking anastrozole. So far the side effects are mild hot flashes (nothing horrifying, very manageable) and fatigue. I hate the fatigue and would love to hear advice on what I can do about it.

Some achiness but I don't think I'm at the arthralgia stage yet. Hot, hot showers help. The plummeting temperatures outside do not. I think walks would help me but the cold is just painful. Ugh!

My appetite is also utterly shot and I have to encourage myself to eat. I could easily go the whole day and forget to eat. I think if I eat small planned healthy meals throughout the day I might manage better. Weight gain? Haha. I've already dropped three pounds. I'd love to lose some weight mind you, but this is not this way. Has anyone else experienced this?

• sabbymama
    sabbymama Member Posts: 82
    Options

I had some pretty nasty dizziness and headaches for the first two weeks and I was very fatigued, but that subsided reasonably quickly. The other symptoms of hot flashes, joint pain, etc. come and go in phases. I wish I could say I experienced the weight loss....lol. Definitely not a problem for me! I haven't necessarily gained any weight, but I can't seem to lose it either and it seems that my belly has grown immensely like my weight has shifted to my midsection unfortunately and I hate that! Best of luck with the Anastrozole and I hope you are able to find some more energy quickly! Maybe B12 would help? Happy Holidays!

Cheers,

Sabrina

• celiac
    Options

L8blmr - Have not heard of TEVA Canada. The TEVA I used is manufactured in Israel. Seems logical that with Covid limitations there, supply issues could arise. Still have found no further info on what happened to TEVA supplies. Trying to hang in there with Accord until April, when I will hopefully be done with AIs.

• suzare
    suzare Member Posts: 33
    Options

I am so grateful to have found this site. I had a lumpectomy on my right breast on 10/07/21 to remove two tumors for invasive lobular carcinoma. There was also a lot of pre-cancerous findings in the biopsies. I have just finished radiation which went very well. I am supposed to start taking Anastrozole and I am actually terrified to start. I have Osteoporosis, Osteopenia, Fibromyalgia, and Degenerative Joint Disease (31 surgeries on knees and hips) and the MO didn't order a current bone scan. This is coupled by a severe Anxiety disorder. I understand why I need to go on it and I will try to stay on it, but at 69 years old with other comorbidities, I also want some quality of life for however long I will be here. If anyone can offer some guidance and helpful hints, I will be ever so grateful.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,670
    Options

Suzare, everyone is different, but I've not had any bad side effects from the Arimidex. You might want to make some daily notes on how you feel, what time of day you take it, etc. I take mine in the morning, but others prefer to take in the evening. I hope it turns out to be sort of a non-event for you. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.

If you haven't, browse around this site. There are a lot of really good threads. Mark the ones that interest you or that you post on as a "Favorite". You can turn off the email notifications if they become annoying, but when you log in you'll get to see the most recent posts under your "Favorites".

All the best to you.

Carol

• suzare
    Options

Hello Sunshine, and thank you so much for the reply. I'm encouraged to read that you didn't have any bad side effects. In reading through this thread I see that some women do better on the Teva brand of Anastrozole. I have already filled my Rx with another brand, but I just called the pharmacy and they are ordering the Teva for me. I will give both brands a try and hope that one is gentler on the body than another. I also want to say that I am so very sorry that your cancer has spread to your bones. I pray that some kind of treatment will beat that back for you. My start date was supposed to be a week ago, but I am holding off until New Years Day and hope that I can get through it with ease. All the very best to you. ~Susan

• celiac
    Options

suzare - Sending positive thoughts to you as you begin your Anastrozole journey. Up until a couple months ago, I always took the TEVA. Had to switch to Accord, as no pharmacy nearby was carrying TEVA or was willing to order. Did not note much of a difference and since I am hoping to stop it later in April 2022, decided to just stick with Accord. Is your MO starting you off on 1/2 dose for the 1st week to 10 days? I found that as I continued taking it, side effects lessened. Please revisit here to ask any questions.

• suzare
    Options

After reading three posts about a specific brand of Arimidex (specifically Teva) I checked the bottles I have and it is zydus brand, so I called my pharmacist to see if it was available (CVS- Amesbury, MA) and she was able to order it for me. I am supposed to start taking it tomorrow and quite frankly, I am terrified of the side effects. I will give it my best effort as I know how important it is, but with the laundry list of medical problems I have it sounds like it will be the hardest challenge I have had in a long time. Once again, I appreciate all that I am learning from you wonderful ladies.

• suzare
    Options

Hello CeliaC,

I just saw an Oncologist for the first time a few weeks ago which is three months after my surgery. She did a breast exam, reviewed my records and handed me a prescription for Arimidex and that was it. As I already knew how bad the AI's can be. I have been very teary, depressed, and fearful of starting it. I have placed two calls to her (two weeks apart) to see what kind of support there is to manage side effects and she has yet to call me back. I just completed the rads on Tuesday and am supposed to start taking it now. After reading about the different brands and how some people do better on Teva, I called the pharmacy and they ordered it right then and it will be available tomorrow. I already got three bottles of the original Rx, so I will give each one a try. The pharmacy I called is CVS in Amesbury, MA if that is of any help to you or others.

• suzare
    Options

Hello CeliaC,

I just saw an Oncologist for the first time a few weeks ago which is three months after my surgery. She did a breast exam, reviewed my records and handed me a prescription for Arimidex and that was it. As I already knew how bad the AI's can be. I have been very teary, depressed, and fearful of starting it. I have placed two calls to her (two weeks apart) to see what kind of support there is to manage side effects and she has yet to call me back. I just completed the rads on Tuesday and am supposed to start taking it now. After reading about the different brands and how some people do better on Teva, I called the pharmacy and they ordered it right then and it will be available tomorrow. I already got three bottles of the original Rx, so I will give each one a try. The pharmacy I called is CVS in Amesbury, MA if that is of any help to you or others.

• celiac
    Options

suzare - If you just finished rads, you may still be feeling a bit rough. I ended rads about 3 weeks before starting AIs as I wanted to give my body a break. I was feeling the same way as you seem to be feeling about starting the AIs. Your Oncologist does not sound very patient friendly. I urge you to attempt to seek out another doctor if at all possible. Do you have any breast cancer support groups in your area? I had to substitute Zydus for TEVA for one month about 2 years ago, but no noticable difference. Cyber hugs and healing thoughts!

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,208
    Options

CeliaC- I too took Teva until I couldn’t get it anymore. I was kind of off the rails crazy trying to get it. I ended up with Accord, which upon much research was the closest to Teva in chemical work up.

When I started theAI it was a month and a half after rads. Although I thought I did very well through rads, my MO wanted my body to heal. Then when I started it she instructed me to take it every other day for a month to help with my body adjusting to it. I kept an old calendar next to my bed and highlighted every other day to help me remember.

I hope to stop the drug on March 1, 2023. Far from now but closer than when I started. One day at a time.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options

I took Arimidex as did my sister. She had a lot of problems with it and for me I had osteoporosis so it wasn’t a good fit for me either since it attacks the bones. Idk why my oncologist didn’t consider that side effect. After one year she switched me to Tamoxifen. It was no walk in the park but it was manageable.

I was determined to take something as an added insurance policy against a recurrence and so far, so good I was 10 years out last August. Whatever you decide just make sure you don’t question your decision years later.

Good luck!

Diane

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

Suzare,

I have been on Anastrozole about two years. I have always taken Zydus brand from CVS, and have had no significant side effects. You just don’t know until you try.

Happy New Year to us all!

Laure

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,670
    Options

How do you know which brand you get?

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    Options

Hi Sunshine,

The bottle I get (which I get through CVS pharmacy in New Jersey), is the manufacturer’s bottle, and that is how I know I am getting Zydus. I believe if the pharmacy uses their own bottle, the manufacturer should be named on the paper you get with the prescription (?). You can also ask your pharmacist which manufacturer they use.

Hope this helps.

Laure

• suzare
    Options

Thank you LaurenCL for the information. I will try the Zydus brand first as they have already filled it for me. I started four days ago and so far just some nausea. All the best to you ~ Susan

• dulcea
    dulcea Member Posts: 141
    Options

suzare,

I hope things are going well for you. I was also petrified to start taking arimidex, but also, scared to death not to take it.

I am allergic and sensitive to so many medications! I have so much fear when I take anything new. I am now struggling with finding cholesterol medications I can tolerate! Be that as it may, I just knew that I would get all the side effects of arimidex. I just knew it. I braced for impact!

Lo and behold, nothing. I did have some hair fall out for a while but my dermatologist assured me it was probably due to the stress from four surgeries and covid within a 6 month time period. I am amazed and thankful everyday that I can tolerate this life-saving medication.

As a side note, I also take the zydus brand from CVS.

My point is, don't worry until you need to. Good luck.

• Adell
    Adell Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi Jane Im just reading your post from July 2021 (Don't come here often) Your post really helps me understand Anastrozole. I sure do have the muscle aches and insomnia. I started it in 2019 so will hang in there. I also have had three Zometa infusions (last one next month) Im pretty sure this is also adding to my aches and pains some days its really hard to enjoy my morning walk. Do you have any evidence of Zometa muscle aches etc. I have osteopenia the Anastrozole is not helping that and zometa is only keeping my bones stable.

• seagoddess2021_
    seagoddess2021_ Member Posts: 10
    Options

I too take the Zydus brand of anastrazole. I have completed just one month but so far side effects are manageable. My main complaint has been insomnia which can be maddening! A little ativan has helped with that as well as daily exercising to help with muscle aches. Hoping this is as bad as it gets.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    Options

It attacks my bones, so I get a prolia shot every six months to offset that.

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    Options

is proliohas any se. I am taking risedronate for now to fight osteoporosis due to Letrozole. However if it will not stop the bone loss I may go to injections

• missouricatlady
    missouricatlady Member Posts: 894
    Options

Just checking in and reading your posts. Many folks can take just the generic anastrozole and not worry about the mfg, but I wanted to mention, I called Teva a few weeks back, and they told me to check with Walmart, Rite Aid and CVS. Our Walmart here told me no, we don't have Rite Aid here, but I was able to get a Teva prescription from CVS. Best wishes to everyone. You are all beautiful ladies.

Heart

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    Options

Margun, I have not had any SE.