Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Options

Comments

• lee7
    lee7 Member Posts: 204
    Options

Hang in there!!

I started Armidex same time as rads.  I'm at 1 and 1/2 now on it and tolerating it okay.  I do have the joint pains but find I feel better once I get going and keep moving.  My biggest complaint was difficulty falling asleep but I started taking the pill in the morning and I think that schedule is better for me.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    Options

Ruth, good advice.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

Count me among those doing fine with Arimidex.  Some stiffness first thing in the morning, and after sitting too long, but certainly nothing I can't live with. 

• Redroan
    Redroan Member Posts: 111
    Options

I have been on arimidex since Febuary, I have read alot on this site and started taking claritin daily with my Arimidex just because someone said it might help aches and pains for the last 2-3 weeks and as I m sitting here I just realized my hips havent hurt for a week or so. I believe the claritin has helped!Yeah ! I will take whatever I can get!

• C-squared
    C-squared Member Posts: 338
    Options

2Friedeggs~ I did start the Anastrozole on August 1st.  It's hard to say if I am having SE or if it is residual joint pain from chemo.  I feel like I have aged considerably this past year.

Have a good day all!  Smile

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    Options

Is arimidex making any of you feel anious or jittery? I am going to be starting it in a couple of weeks, and am worried about this SE.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,801
    Options

I have had few se's but anxiety was not one of them. I was a little anxious before I started, though! Caryn

• Msbelle
    Msbelle Member Posts: 160
    Options

Ive been taking my Anastazole for almost 1 month. No major SE just some stiffness that goes away with movement. The first week my stools were a little loose but thats better. I haven't heard about taking the Claritin with it. I took that when I got the neulasta shot and it helped. May have to try that.

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

I take Claritan, loratidine, daily, year round for my allergies. Maybe that's why I have had few se's.

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    Options

Wonder If Zyrtec works as well, I already take that daily for allergies, anyone tried that?

• turtle42
    turtle42 Member Posts: 31
    Options

Glad I found this topic. I have been on Arimidex for a little over a year now and the bones on the outside of my feet are so sore. Also the smaller knuckles in my fingers have swollen alot and are very tender. I know its the Arimidex. I have tried some fish oil and some other things that I have read about but nothing seems to help. The pain in my feet is getting really bad. Definately cant go barefoot anymore and even sandles hurt. By the end of the day they are so sore that I have to put the heating pad on them or soak them in warm water. They are even sore to the touch.
    Just wondering if any one else has had the same experience and what, if anything, has helped.

Jackie

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    Options

Turtle - I have been on Aromasin for 2 months and just told my husband this morning that my feet are sore and my fingers/knuckles hurt when I bend them. I don't know if I'm staying on my meds or not, but I would also be interested in any helpful suggestions while I'm making up my mind.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,977
    Options

If your feet are sore; something that may help is to wear really good, well cushioned shoes and also inserts. Walmart has those Dr. Sholls machines, where you stand on it and it tells you what insert you should get. The inserts are about $50 (a lot less than going to a foot doctor). I wear the inserts in all my walking shoes and heavier shoes, and lighter inserts with dress shoes. Also change shoes, don't wear the same ones every day and as soon as they don't feel good, get rid of them, even if the outside still looks OK.

• 2FriedEggs
    2FriedEggs Member Posts: 324
    Options

Ruthbru I remember seeing on one of the threads that you suggested drinking mineral water.. What was that for?

• ruthbru
    Options
    Tonic water for leg cramps (with or without the gin Tongue out).
  • C-squared
    C-squared Member Posts: 338
    Options
    LOLOLOL..., ruthbru!  Smile
  • 2FriedEggs
    2FriedEggs Member Posts: 324
    Options

Ah Ruthbru  The gin with a twist of lime sounds like a good idea. Lol Thank you, I knew I saw it on several posts but couldn't think what the heck it was for.

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

I think the gin will make it much more effective! Caryn

• ruthbru
    Options

Lime is a fruit, and therefore good for you. Along with the lime, I like to splash in a couple green olives. Olive oil is supposed to be good for you, so olives must be also, correct?

Gee, I am getting very thirsty!

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    Options

I started on Anastrozole and hated it. My bones hurt like crazy, I couldn't sleep, and I had about every side effect you can have, but I know lots of folks here take it with no problem. I switched to Aromasin which was much better for me. If one AI doesn't work for you, ask for another. I would advise that you take it early in the day. I don't know if if was just me, but I took it at bedtime because that was my most consistant time of day and also to avoid some of the gastric issues. By the 4th day I was awake all night. I changed it to mornings and that issue was resolved. I am not doing any AI now because of osteoporosis and not being able to receive any treatments for it so it doesn't work for me. Good luck.

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    Options

Thanks JO-5, I have not noticed any difference yet.  Too soon to notice any weight loss, I take Simvitatin for my cholestoral 80mg, PCP will not lower the dose even though was 193.  Time will tell.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    Options

Ruth....sounding suspiciously like the "chocolate is a vegetable" logic.  Really lazy today.....or at least exercise-wise.  Did the minimum, but major headway on the projects I am working.  Where I need to be.....

Plus ironed out a snafu in the making.

Cooking dinner now.  Roasting purple and orange carrots, and making farro.  Will do chard and pork chops. 

More exercise tomorrow and Friday.  And a 50 mile cycling event on Saturday Innocent

I somehow don't think my soreness is from Arimidex.  But man, I sure hadn't used my swimming muscles in a while. - Claire

• ruthbru
    Options
    Do you mean to tell me that chocolate is NOT a vegetable? Surprised
  • Idahogirl
    Idahogirl Member Posts: 12
    Options

It is definitely from the plant kingdom and I make sure I get my daily healthy serving:)

• ruthbru
    Options

Actually 1-2 ounces of dark chocolate (really dark, at least 70% cocoa) every day can lower your blood pressure....really, I am not making that up!

• Idahogirl
    Idahogirl Member Posts: 12
    Options

That's my excuse for my daily indulgence. It seems to work too as my BP is normal and I don't take meds for it:)

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    Options

Quote from Mae West: Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!

Certainly agree with chocolate, wine, food, and what she was alluding toInnocent

Finished my dinner of pork cutlets, braised chard with pine nuts and raisins, roasted orange and purple carrots, and farro.  Yum.  Am not even THINKING of chocolate at the moment.

I am blissed out.  (Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat Anastrazole?????????????????????????????)

However, I do have a "buy one, get one free" certificate for Molly Moon's Ice Cream Parlor.  (Strawberry balsamic?)

And leftovers for tomorrow when cycling club picnic.  (As organizer, hoping peeps actually show.)

Off to bed in a few. - Claire

• Chris13
    Chris13 Member Posts: 112
    Options
    Claire, I want you for one of my dining friends. Please move out to Philly. Tongue out
  • kjiberty
    kjiberty Member Posts: 687
    Options

Claire:  Can I come over or dinner?  Every night?  Thanks. 

JO-5--I this she was referring to simvastitin.  It's a statin drug used to lower cholesterol.   

• nancyjac
    nancyjac Member Posts: 59
    Options

C-Squared, I've been on Anastrozole for a month.  Have started exeriencing some mild SE they last couple of weeks.  Mostly some stiffness when I first get up in the morning or have been sitting for too long.  I've also had a couple of mild hot flashes, also during the night.  The stiffness goes away in minutes once I am up and about.