Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Pinktober Revolution

Options

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

Brain cells

How I miss ya, How I miss ya

From  the  time

before cancer got you,  

cancer got you.

Will I   ever see you 

ever see you

My, dear old brain cells

(I think I'm thinking of Suwannee, But could be something else) 

• 1Athena1
    1Athena1 Member Posts: 672
    Options

LOL at Veggy! I still love my "BOYCOTT PINK"

It is nice to see that in four pages we have still not been visited by the "rah, rah" crowd saying "oh, we've made so much progress."

EnglishMajor hits the nail on the head. The true way to measure breast cancer in epidemiological terms is to answer the question: "If you get BC, what are your chances of dying today?" There is no such thing as "updated" survival/mortality figures for obvious reasons. However, it appears that chemotherapy and radiation have made a minimal impact on survival, as data has barely changed since the 50s. The increase in identification of women with DCIS skews the figure (hence the increase in reported "incidence."). The reason why BC "is no longer considered a death sentence" for everyone is because if it is caught early, a person who will eventually die of it lives longer to receive treatment - NOT because that incurable person can now be cured.

The pink movement has done nothing but cover up these facts. They are a sexist, outdated movement that has done women terrible harm. There needs to be much more emphasis put on metastatic cancer.

• Dakota212
    Dakota212 Member Posts: 104
    Options

Veggie~

That is great!!!!

• Dakota212
    Options

Mini~

Love that too!!!

• Dakota212
    Options

Mini~

Love that too!!!

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    Options

The name of Dr. Brawley's book is HOW WE DO HARM.

• 1Athena1
    1Athena1 Member Posts: 672
    Options

VR, I think that book is next on my list.

• Dakota212
    Options

Gracie1~

That's a great shirt !!!

• Dakota212
    Options

Mini~

That is so true, sadly!!! Be careful what u wish for.

• Joanne_53
    Joanne_53 Member Posts: 714
    Options

I am in Canada and having socialized medicine does make a difference I think. I read some of the posts here on various threads about the number of appointments and tests being done and wonder why. I know our system is not perfect but I do wonder about the need for all the tests. I have not had an MRI, bone scan, CT scan or any blood work since my surgery. I will have a mammogram in November. I saw my RON weekly during rads and the 7 weeks post and see him again in 3 months. I have not seen my MO since he gave me the prescription for tamoxifen and will see him in September which will e 6 months. Of course if I was having any problems he would see me.

• Dakota212
    Options

scuttlers~

What an impact that has!!! Glad u thought of it.

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    Options

You are right, i didn't have the book in front of me, and those pesky missing brain cells failed me. I do rememner that the Dr/author's name is Otis Webb Brawley. It's not a long read. I read it in a day, but it's worth it. It hits on prostate CA too, so pass it around to any men in your lives. Like I said, it's an eye opener.

• voraciousreader
    Options

Regarding statistics and mortality, Dr. Brawley discusses the development and use of computational biostatistics. What I found fascinating is that, in the 1970's there was a small group of physicians who understood and appreciated the importance of creating computer programs to advance biostatistics. Dr. Brawley believes that their foresight has truly helped advances in treatment. He does discuss the controversies as well. But he truly believes in the importance of statistical analysis.

Again, he is critical of advocacy groups who advance their own agendas while dismissing the statistics. He believes if data is correctly accrued and interpreted, then it becomes the responsibility of researchers, clinicians and patients to APPRECIATE what the data validates or dismisses.

Having read Dr. Brawley's book, I understand his frustration in how advocacy groups undermine the important work being done in the field of epidemiology.

• voraciousreader
    Options

1Athena!.... You will love his book! For sure!

• Mini1
    Options

Exactly. Groups that are focused on promoting their own agenda not the patients best interests. I wish he'd stayed in Detroit. I'd pay the out of area cost to be his patient. I like the way he explains things without dumbing it down to the point of inanity and his willingness to call things what they are whether it makes his profession look good or bad. We need more people like him to speak out.

• voraciousreader
    Options

Mini... We are beginning to see a handful of doctors speaking up and calling out what needs to be done. John Abramson, MD's Overdosed America and H. Gilbert Welch, Ph. D.'s Overdiagnosed... come to mind. Incidentally, Dr. Welch's wife was also diagnosed with breast cancer.

• Mini1
    Options

I'll look for those, thanks. I am trying to decide on whether to stay on the meds or not. Maybe they will help me make the decision.

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options

"When the other shoe drops....I hope it lands on the head of some bastard who told me "I had the good cancer","..........who said........."How lucky I was it was BC"...................or "Glad its all over"..............who said "You look wonderful".................or "We got good margins"..................... or"Radiation will get anything left".................or."Femara will give you a  better chance for survival"............................to those assholes I say

1.......There is no good cancer...........

2......Lucky would be not getting it at all.

3......It is no where near f/n over

4......Margins, if their so good, then why do I need radiation

5......Oh yes, radiation will get anything left......there is nothing left, I'm tired, wonder each day what else the

radiation destroyed.

6.......Better chance for survival......what about QOL.......fatigue, aches, pains, and for this survival, we are some kind of a "lab experiment" ...........go ahead...............tell me how "lucky" I am................and by the way.........................there isn't one of those optomistic assholes who would change places with anyone of us...............................Yell

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    Options

Ducky is on a roll.

SLOGAN:::

On back, Barbe's FOCTOBER

on the front - PINK TEE SHIRT BONFIRE ON TOWN SQUARE - Noon October 1st

Statistics --- In 2005 an announcement was that for the first time in 70 years the absolute number of cancer dealths had fallen.  Dr. Eschenbach, director of the US National Cancer Institue called this "momentous news" and Dr. Thum, head of epidemiological research for the American Cancer Society said it was "a notable milestone."   The celebrated decline was a total of 370 from 557,272 to 556,902 in 2004.  0.066 percent.  Granted this was 8 years ago.......... but the mentality is still the same. ETA: reference then took it off but info was pulled from the book You Did What? by Quinn.

I think that  the Susan Love's Army of Women Walk could be in every major city and large town in North America and would be very well attended.  I would go.  Then have the pink tee shirt BONFIRE.

Thanks Sassy for organizing this one! This is a good walk.

Diane Essa

• Surly
    Surly Member Posts: 73
    Options

Bumper sticker?

Puck Fink

• Joanne_53
    Joanne_53 Member Posts: 714
    Options

That is good .... Or do like the brand of clothing and perfume .... FCUK pink!

• kyliet
    kyliet Member Posts: 587
    Options

ducky I would like to add:

- don't tell me you know someone who has a worse one. 

• voraciousreader
    Options

When advocacy groups have seminars that teach patients statistics so it can help patients make INFORMED decisions about their treatment...then that would be a REVOLUTION that I would join. No one needs to show me how to do my make up. I don't need a shoulder to lean on. I want all my sisters to be able to step up to the plate when the time comes and make the best treatment decision possible and that requires EDUCATION. Is that asking for too much until there is a cure?

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options

Katopet....................yea, got that comment too................like I gave a shit at the time who had a worse one then I did........do I need a reminder about cancer...................doubt it........Mother.....Colon, lived a year........Father....Esophageal...lived a year, suffered like a dog.....................and the "worst" on of all...........Husband........Pancreatic..............lived 2 1/2 years....lost 100 lbs.............so don't tell me about "worst"................I lived "worst".......................so after all that, someone wants me to be greatful, I got the "good cancer"...........and "it could be worse"........................to them I say F---k You, and the horse you rode in on............................

How about this one..............at least your not in "pain"................to those people I say...........Would you like to share a bottle of Femara.......When I hear people now, whining about "sunburn", I think........."try radiation"

Oh, yea..............I forgot about Lymphedema..................try wearing a rubber gadget on your body when the temperature hits 100...............and it becomes a part of your body..........its a lifetime reminder that you had "cancer".................

HAVE I COVERED EVERYTHING...........IF NOT, FEEL FREE TO ADD YOUR COMMENT............HUGS.

• Shrek4
    Shrek4 Member Posts: 519
    Options

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    Options

T shirt:

I am aware there is no cure... 

• leggo
    leggo Member Posts: 379
    Options
    Now I get what you mean Mini. Day, that says it all, perfectly (except I tend to get a little more vulger when it comes to cancer), so I'm ordering a hat from cafepress using most of your slogan and graphic. Thanks.....and that I will wear outside!Wink
  • painterly
    painterly Member Posts: 266
    Options

Great ideas...I still like Foctober!

ALL

THIS

MONEY

AND

STILL NO CURE

• Mini1
    Options

How about - Invite 8 friends over. Now pick the one you want to have cancer. I guarauntee you that only 7 of them will feel "lucky."

• Infobabe
    Infobabe Member Posts: 52
    Options

I think what you women are saying should be said and out in the open.  You are very angry and have every right to be.  Turn Foctobe on it's head.  I like the pink skull.

I have a 21 year old relative by marriage who is brilliant in microbiology.  She is looking more at research in neuroscience.  She is a senior but has already studied at Princeton, Walter Reed internship,  somewhere in Hungary and some big company in CA.  I cannot keep track of all of them.  Also the Clair Booth Luce full ride scholarship.

Why can't a girl like this get the support to do research on breast cancer?  Komen and the pinkites should be looking for this type of talent, searching them out channeling them to breast cancer like the above has.  Better than some drug company in CA or all the others who have already spotted her.