Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Stage III Cancer Survivors ...Five + Years and Out.

Comments

• beauz
    beauz Member Posts: 113
    edited October 2018

warrior50, LindaKR- congratulations on 5+ years and thank you for posting.

• tangandchris
    tangandchris Member Posts: 934
    edited October 2018

Tomorrow marks 5 years since being dx'd.

So much to be thankful for.❤

I honestly didnt think my life would recover from the trauma of being dx'd and treatment. I really struggled emotionally with the aftermath of going thru it. I was in so much fear of a recurrence that I obsessed on everything that could be a symptom. It was debilitating.

But I'm so thankful that part has gotten so much better. I'm in a much better place emotionally and mentally. I can't say how or why, but it has gotten easier to manage.

I hope this helps somebody that might be struggling.

• MamaFelice
    MamaFelice Member Posts: 165
    edited October 2018

Yes Tangandchris!!! Your post is exactly what I needed to read at this moment! I am one-year from the start of my chemo and my mind continues to race with fears that I focus on giving up to God daily. I'm glad to hear such emotions no longer run your life, and congratulate you on 5 years! Keep coming back every year until you move to the 10-year forum!

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited October 2018

October 20 was my first day of retirement and the seven-year anniversary of my breast cancer diagnosis.

Like most of us, I struggled with fear and grief in the beginning. The treatment itself--surgeries, chemo, radiation, drugs--weren't too much of a challenge for me; I physically tolerated everything OK. But the shock and spiritual distress was occasionally overwhelming.I was SCARED.

I compare the process of diagnosis, treatment, and aftermath, to suddenly having an elephant in my living room. It's enormous. It stomps all over my furniture, poops on the rug, smashes the lamps. It's all I can think about. But gradually, over the years, the elephant shrinks into a tiny mouse that hides in the wall. Occasionally it'll come out and squeak a little, like when my hip aches (bursitis) or I have weird abdominal pain (gas). It's always THERE but it's no longer making a mess of my emotional peace. I don't even think about it much.

My advice for the newer sisters and brothers is "one day at a time." The days add up to weeks, months, and then years. The chances of cancer NOT recurring are pretty good. Blessings--SB

• preludesing
    preludesing Member Posts: 64
    edited October 2018

sbelizabeth....thank you!! just what I needed to read while the elephant smashes up my furniture...

• Lottanodes
    Lottanodes Member Posts: 19
    edited October 2018

Ebelizabeth,

Love the elephant analogy. I thought of my cancer as uninvited family house guests who long overstayed their welcome. Left the place in shambles but did not poop on the floor.

• katyand4
    katyand4 Member Posts: 32
    edited October 2018

Hey All,

Posting to offer hope to all who find this board. On 9/22 I became a 7 year survivor. This board and the survival stories were so incredibly helpful when I first started my journey.

Hasn’t always been easy and those aches and pains along the way can be scary but thankfully that is all they were!

In those 7 years....I’ve watched my two oldest get married and have children, my middle graduate college and my youngest is now in 10th grade and has his permit! In a few short weeks I will welcome my 3rd grandchild in less than a year....they just make me smile ❤️. All milestones I prayed I would see after receiving my diagnosis. I’ve learned life is about life, not all the “other stuff”....I am blessed and very thankful.

Live, love, laugh and keep the faith!

Katy

• ausykaren
    ausykaren Member Posts: 64
    edited October 2018

Thanks Katy for giving hope. Congratulations on 7 years.

Karen

• evergreen9
    evergreen9 Member Posts: 25
    edited October 2018

This week, end October approx, is 10 years since my diagnosis. My stats were not good. I eat healthy: fish, chicken and just occasionally beef. Processed food or meat very rarely. Lots of vegetables. No supplements except for omega-3, calcium, and vitamin D. Green tea and a tiny bit of turmeric, 1/4 teaspoon with some pepper and minced garlic daily . And I workout with cardio and weights every other day on average. I did stop drinking except for the rare tiny bit of wine every couple of months, because of what the research shows. At any rate, at 73 I still care for my preschool grandchildren once a week, garden, and appreciate still being here. I think that treatment now is much better then it was 15 years ago for my type of cancer and for many cancers. Best of luck to everyone!

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    edited October 2018

Thank you evergreen9 & Katy - bad day at work but in the scope of things - a good day to keep on keeping on. God bless all my sisters in this club!

• HoneyBeaw
    HoneyBeaw Member Posts: 150
    edited October 2018

Ladies

Thank you all so much for posting , next month will be 2 yrs since I found the lump that has taken me to some very dark places. I still continue to struggle with anxiety and fear although some days I now go 3-4 hours and not think about it . Nights are the worst for me . Hubby tends to ignore my fears as his way of coping is if you just don't think or talk about it , it will go away. While I agree a positive attitude helps, its dam hard not to slip and let fear take over sometimes .

It give so much hope when we see long term survivors post it does help calm the fears. When Dx I did not think I would be here today.

Huggs and thanks to all

• MamaFelice
    edited October 2018

CONGRATULATIONS Sbelizabeth, Katyand4, and Evergreen9!!

Today is my birthday and it was an awesome gift to come here and receive all 3 of your thriving testimonies! YAY! 🎉😃🎉. May blessings continue to be with you all, and all of us, for many more years

• Jbakerwebb
    Jbakerwebb Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2018

December 19th, 2018  will be my 2nd birthday!!

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336
    edited October 2018

mamafelice happy Birthday!!!

• CaliKelly
    CaliKelly Member Posts: 198
    edited October 2018

Happy Anniversary to you all, wonderful, wonderful to find this site! Jan. 2019 is my 3 year cancer free birthday. In general I feel great! Back to all my favorite activities, with some modifications 😉 No more topless dancing, nude beaches ,etc. Just kidding😄. I am still a gym rat, weight training, biking and boogie boarding at the beach, hiking ,kayaking, basically enjoying my formerly active lifestyle. I was always into health and fitness, so that was my main concern, being able to remain active. And I don't stress about things I have no control over anymore(like politics!😝) And I sort of get a kick over being thought of as "So strong, such a warrior" for going through all the challenges of treatments. Like we have a choice!😂But hey, let's enjoy basking in that!

• lafish
    lafish Member Posts: 32
    edited November 2018

Virtual hugs to all, I just hit year number 6!! I am both amazed and thankful! I prepared for less but I am grateful to be here to enjoy life. I was not sure I would meet my grand kids, I now have 3 little ones all since diagnosisand one I will meet in a few days 😁

• ausykaren
    ausykaren Member Posts: 64
    edited November 2018

Congratulations on 6 years Lafish.

• MamaFelice
    edited November 2018

Comgrats Lafish on your years and your grandchildren (and your newest one!!)! Wishing you many more years!

• lafish
    lafish Member Posts: 32
    edited November 2018

Thanks MamaFelice and Ausykaren!

• Lottanodes
    Lottanodes Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2018

Twenty three years and counting.

• castigame
    edited November 2018

lottanodes,

wish you at least two multiples of 23 yrs!

p.s. you just lifted my spirits.

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited November 2018

Lottanodes - wow, wow, wow! Congratulations and thanks for the continued hope for so many!

• beeline
    beeline Member Posts: 193
    edited November 2018

Congrats Lafish and Lottanodes! Thanks so much for sharing with us!!

• katykaty
    katykaty Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2018

Lottanodes - you make my heart sing! God bless - May there be another 23 ahead x

• DeeMay
    DeeMay Member Posts: 15
    edited November 2018

Holy Moly! Lottanodes!!!! Bloody brilliant!!! Here's to many more years of good health. How inspiring!! x

• Rioghnach
    Rioghnach Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2018

Any tips Lottanodes? Anything you swear by?

• castigame
    edited November 2018

yes lottanodes please share some tips

• lifey
    lifey Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2018

So grateful and happy to hear the inspiring stories from long term survivors!

And incredibly thankful to have passed my own 5 year mark!

Onwards and upwards!

• Crazywabbit
    Crazywabbit Member Posts: 54
    edited November 2018

So happy to report today marks 5 years from my surgery. I count the day they cut it all out as my anniversary date.

Other then a bump in the road a year ago, mastectomy, all s still clear. The last 5 years also saw the death of my husband and more recently my retirement. I take encouragement from the recent 23 year survivor and intend to live what time I may have to the fullest.

• Gapeach13
    Gapeach13 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2018

I don't think I've updated in so long but wanted all the newly diagnosed to know that long term survivors are out here. I passed the 15 year mark earlier this year.

Hugs to all of you and blessings into the new year.

Ruth