Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stage III Cancer Survivors ...Five + Years and Out.

Options

Comments

• kmom57
    kmom57 Member Posts: 174
    edited February 2021
    Options

mpv459, 2 years is certainly worth celebrating! Happy for you. Here’s to adding a zero on the end of that someday.

• juju-mar
    juju-mar Member Posts: 200
    edited February 2021
    Options

congratulations! Every day is a celebration. I can't wait to join you all when treatment is completed.
    julie

• ab45
    ab45 Member Posts: 153
    edited February 2021
    Options

mpy45

How did u do on Ac/Taxol chemo regimen

• mpv459
    mpv459 Member Posts: 83
    edited February 2021
    Options

I actually had a pretty easy time with AC. I cold capped so I kept most of my hair through AC. I didn't have a lot of the side effects you hear about. Taxol was a little more difficult. I did 12 rounds. did lose lots of hair and had bad rashes that the doctor didn't seem to be able to clear. I also had a lot of emotional issues with great sadness on day 3 of it. Radiation was my big bugaboo. I burned and was exhausted and was very glad when I finished. I had surgery 1st as my doctor didn't see any benefit from doing chemo first in my case, I have been on blockers (anestrazole ) for over a year and I just had my checkup and she said everything looked ok except calcium was high.. Running another test next week. I feel really grateful to be alive and grateful to this group for keeping my spirits up a lot of the time with positive stories and friendly welcomes. I will be officially NED in March for 2 years but I never get cocky. I have been having lots of worries healthwise in the last couple of weeks even though doctor said I was okay. I still have a dull ache in my cancer side upper arm and random pains in my legs. Anyone else have any thing like that where they just worry that it is back. Sending you all love, support and thanks for being here when I needed you.

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited February 2021
    Options

I turned 50 on Sunday and have reached my ten years out milestone too! Yippee!

I am happy, healthy and looking forward to the next 10 years. I met some wonderful ladies on this website who are now long-term friends. They kept me sane and we supported each other when we needed it most.

I wish you all well

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    edited February 2021
    Options

well not sure if supposed to count 5 yrs from diagnosis, surgery or end of aggressive treatment but I hit 5 yrs from surgery Jan 19th. And it was a recurrence. 9 yrs in all. Almost 20% of my life has been doing this. Most days are very very good. Others. Meh. Life is going on. While we can. The best we can. As long as we can. Just finished snow blowing my driveway from another winter blast. Husband gets to clear it in the morning. 11 yr old is safe, warm and asleep. Life is good. Keep dancing in the rain ladies! You never know when the sun will peek thru and you get a rainbow 🌈 :)

• norcals
    norcals Member Posts: 206
    edited February 2021
    Options

Kiwimum, congrats on reaching the 10 year mark. Cheers to you.

7of9, great post. Congrats to you too.

Keep on thriving ladies!

• lovepugs77
    lovepugs77 Member Posts: 108
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hi all! Congrats to all of you who have recently reached big milestones, and thank you for sharing them with us. It is so encouraging to read your stories.

I was diagnosed 4 years ago today, and am doing very well. I even have days where I don't think about cancer, which I thought would NEVER happen.

• naps
    naps Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hello everyone!

Well, here I am at 5 years out today. How I have hoped and longed to be able to write those words!!

I remember reading over the postings in these "Years Out" threads and finding hope when I was feeling extremely low. May this posting in turn offer some hope to others on the path.

Following a diagnosis at age 44 that shocked me to the core, with news that just seemed to keep getting worse and worse there for a while and 15 months of throwing everything but the kitchen sink at this illness, I am now doing very well. It's been a long road. My kids were 10 and 13 back then, and I am immensely grateful to witness them growing up.

I am thankful for every single day. :)

Wishing you all health and happiness--

naps

• Waronbreastcancer
    Waronbreastcancer Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2021
    Options

Dear everyone,

This month it's five years since I finished treatment after a scary breast cancer diagnosis with many involved lymph nodes. I was only 30 when I received the cancer verdict. Since then many things have happened: I got married, finished my PhD and welcomed a son born through surrogacy. I know that nothing is guaranteed and I hope for many years more. I wish all you wonderful people good luck in your journeys.

Warm wishes

Mette

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,514
    edited March 2021
    Options

Waron....lots to celebrate! 5 years, marriage new baby and Ph.D. Congratulations on all four. Wishing you many, many more years of celebrating!!

• PoseyGirl
    PoseyGirl Member Posts: 298
    edited June 2021
    Options

Like everyone before me here, I prayed that one day I'd get to come here five years later and say "I'm here!".

I was 47 when I was diagnosed, and my children were 6 and 9. I was absolutely terrified that I wouldn't be here to raise them.

It was during my darkest days when I came to this site and this thread in particular to desperately seek hope. I found it on this thread and am so grateful to the wonderful comrades who wrote.

I was told early on by a friend that there would be many gifts along the way through this journey, and it's true. You will find people to be caring and compassionate and they'll want to help you as much as possible. Surround yourself with whatever support system you have and lean into that. And no matter how you cope with this shocking and traumatic diagnosis, it's 'ok'. You don't have to use the word 'warrior' or 'girl power'. Just be gentle on yourself. This is as much of hit to your mind as it is to your body.

I live with uncertainty like everyone else here, but I'm very thankful to be here and to be really living my life. I've been to Europe twice, I opened an art studio, my kids are now almost 12 and almost 15, we are looking at renovating our house....I made a friend through this site who shares my name, a similar diagnosis and a similar family make up. We are still in touch now and that is one special gift too.

You can do this and you will smile again. And then you will come back here in 5 years and share your post.

Here's praying for continued health for all of us here. xoxo

• juju-mar
    edited June 2021
    Options

poseygirl,

Thank you for coming back to share your story! I absolutely love hearing from all the women living their lives cancer free. We have similar diagnosis, except I was HER2-. At 10 months post diagnosis, I am feeling so much more confident about a long, healthy future. Cheers to us all!

Julie

• norcals
    norcals Member Posts: 206
    edited June 2021
    Options

Congrats Poseygirl. Great post and thank you for letting us share in your survival story. It is a generous thing when people come back and let the rest of us know that it is possible to thrive during/after cancer

• kcinmn
    kcinmn Member Posts: 24
    edited June 2021
    Options

6 years and counting!

6 years ago I was just starting chemo. I don't get on this site as much as I did back then, but I wanted to come back and leave a positive post. I know I looked for all the encouragement I could find back when I was in the midst of the hard stuff!

I still take hormonal therapy, and that's no picnic. Lol. But I'm happy to be alive and Still Kickin'!

Keep fighting the good fight!

• RebeccaA
    RebeccaA Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2021
    Options

Hi everyone! This September will be eight years out since diagnosis and surgery, followed by chemo, radiation, and herceptin. At the time, I did not know how I'd get through it all, but here I am still moving along. I did have one blip with a "new" breast cancer diagnosis in my unaffected breast last June 3. Fortunately, if that word can even apply to a BC diagnosis, it was caught early, was very small, and had no positive nodes. I had a mastectomy to be (hopefully) done with it, reconstruction, and switched from Tamoxifen to Letrozole. The new BC was still estrogen positive, The Letrozole has been a harder adjustment than was Tamoxifen. Definitely having more achiness from it, and I've had to begin Prolia because it was already affecting my bone density after only six months. But ... I'm still here!

Keep fighting, friends!

• joan888
    joan888 Member Posts: 711
    edited June 2021
    Options

I want to add another positive note... I am 11 years out from diagnosis, surgery, chemo, radiation. And just finished my 10 years with letrozole! Living life to the fullest. I was pretty sure life was over when I was first diagnosed with Stage IIIA, but no. It was just a bump in the road and a little bit of a "wake up call" to slow down for a while and reorder my life. I don't get on this sight much anymore, but do miss the many friends I made along the way. Onward!

• newnorm
    newnorm Member Posts: 54
    edited June 2021
    Options

Thanks for posting Rebecca. Stories like yours are inspirational to us all. Here's to many more years. Keryn xx

• MeToo14
    MeToo14 Member Posts: 162
    edited July 2021
    Options

Hi everyone, I haven't posted in a while. In fact, I never thought I'd get to this point but I forgot about my 7year anniversary. 7 years ago on July 7, I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer. I remember thinking I would never get past this and in the beginning I thought about it all hundreds of times a day. I never thought I'd get to where I am. I write this for those of you who are just starting out, there is hope. The day will come where it doesn't completely consume you. This site was and still is a lifesaver! The people here are wonderful! I'm so thankful for this resource! Thank you everyone who helped me along the way. I will try my best to come back more often. So I'm ending this saying what I always say as to not jinx myself... so far so good!

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 690
    edited July 2021
    Options

Congrats!! Thanks for giving us all hope. Love to hear from stage 3 thrivers and survivors , be well.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    edited August 2021
    Options

I never knew this one existed! I've been going to the ten year board for encouragement. It's been 7 years for me in December and I thought when I was diagnosed in March of 2014, that I wouldn't see Christmas. My BS said "You're not getting out of buying Christmas presents!" All my doctors were so encouraging, and that is important when you start on this journey.

Added: I can't figure out how to edit my signature - I had 2 nodes with full involvement and 2 with "specs". So stage IIIA

• juju-mar
    edited August 2021
    Options

hello survivors!

I am wondering what if anything you are doing differently going forward. More exercise? Plant based diet? Any other meds besides anti hormone? Supplements?

Thanks.

Julie

• newnorm
    newnorm Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hi Juju-mar, like you, I’m still looking for ways to keep ahead of this beast. I try and keep my weight down, exercise daily and eat well. I limit alcohol, but do enjoy a couple of glasses most weekends. I also take flaxseed because the research I’ve read is that it helps. I believe it’s helping me and that’s a good thing. Xx

• puggymom
    puggymom Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2021
    Options

I haven't thought much about cancer in the last years since I had a horrible time with the dose dense regime and just want to forget. However, I've had the ridiculous pain in my right arm and feeling tired beyond measure. Was there any sign that made you wonder if you should check out a possible remission or mets. I know this is a hopeful thread but I'm a bit nervous.

Not sure why my dx doesn't show. Stage IIIa both breasts. 8 positive nodes. Grade 2

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,051
    edited September 2021
    Options

Welcome Puggymom. Nobody here can tell you for sure that you are not having a recurrence. Presumably you had a mastectomy. Did you have radiation?

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,033
    edited September 2021
    Options

Welcome, Puggymom. We're so sorry you're here with this worry, and we definitely understand the nervousness. If you're concerned, we encourage you to check in with your medical team. Even if it's not a recurrence, there may be something that needs to be addressed, and it's always a good idea to get changes in your health checked out.

The Mods

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    edited September 2021
    Options

Puggymom, I am 5 yrs after a recurrence. Get checked out. 2nd time was a surgery, rads ( easy) and only 4 rounds of chemo. Not fun but doable. Its probably not but get checked for peace of mind. :)

• puggymom
    puggymom Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2021
    Options

I had breast cancer in both breasts. Initially in the right breast IDC Triple negative with surgery and 30 rounds of radiation. Two years later, left breast ER+ mastectomy, chemo and another 30 rounds of radiation. No hormonal therapy since it made me very sick. I ended up in oncology ICU for eight days since I had no neutrophils, zero after my second dose dense infusion. I was happy to survive those days and quite frankly amazed I'm still here after almost 8 years. I recently moved from Utah to South Carolina and I'm waiting for my new insurance cards before locating a new oncologist. I'm attributing my coughing mucus to the very high dew point in SC summer and bone pain to sleeping on an air mattress waiting for my furniture and personal items from the move. I'm no spring chicken (63) so aches and pains may be just part of aging. I will definitely check things out. I understand no one really can advice other than hang in and go find out. Thanks, y’all have a blessed day

• ausykaren
    ausykaren Member Posts: 62
    edited September 2021
    Options

Thinking of you Puggymom.

Hoping all is fine.

• katykaty
    katykaty Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2021
    Options

I'm 5 years clear today of breast cancer / 3 years next week clear of colon cancer. Had scans last week to confirm. It hasn't been the easiest 5 years - I lost my brother to brain cancer 4 years ago as well. I've come to this site many many times for encouragement and light. Feeling very blessed to still be here with my family