Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Fat Transfer using Liposuction

Options

Comments

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited May 2013
    Options

I have had the BEAULI technigue mentioned, anyone heard of this?

• GreenCowgirl
    GreenCowgirl Member Posts: 80
    edited May 2013
    Options

I asked my PA during my last fill in rochester/mayo about the brava.  My PS is Dr Saint-Cyr and he did not mention brava to me.  She told me they don't actually do it since brava is not covered by insurance they just get the info to the patient??  I was also wondering when they do fat transfers how much fat lives, my ps says 60%, but others have said its less than that, so unsure.  They do use small calendules? to remove fat and handle it very delicately.  I was reading my post op from ps and they used several styles of fat transfer tools.  Also i had little pain after it, just a sindle stitch on each hip.  i did not get dimples or lumps there, but when i rub the area it feels tender.

• jill47
    jill47 Member Posts: 85
    edited May 2013
    Options

Good morning ladies...I'm going under 12:15 pm today for fat-grafting (belly fat) and right nipple reduction, the left nipple never made it & was removed last August.  Will have to update my signature line to asbmx ("a" for aerola) since the "n" 's were not spared. Cry  Wish me luck, I'll mark the topic under my favorites and report back when I'm coherent.    

• hopeful24
    hopeful24 Member Posts: 117
    edited May 2013
    Options

I'm heading up to Dr. Saint-cyr today with my BRAVA. I bought it directly from them, but just found out (which they didn't tell me) that the clinical trial IS still on. I will let you know how the "fitting" goes. In the meantime, the FDA told me to google BRAVA and FDA Clinical trial for information how to get it the study so maybe you can get yours for free.

Marcia

• GreenCowgirl
    edited May 2013
    Options

hopeful,  Let me know how it goes.  Why did they not know the clinical trial was still on?  Crazyness.  BEst of luck at mayo, hope it all goes great.

Nancy

• hopeful24
    edited May 2013
    Options

Nancy,

Brava told both me and my doctor that the trial was over and the only way to get it was to buy it through them.

• GreenCowgirl
    edited May 2013
    Options

Hopeful, So did you get in on the trial?  Wishing all the best on your appt.  I will have my last fill next wed!  Then the waiting begins......................

• 35_smiling
    35_smiling Member Posts: 21
    edited May 2013
    Options

repost 

I had my mastectomy with immediate reconstruction surgery (by using my belly fat to create my new right breast) was last week on Friday May 24, 2013. I was scheduled to be at Beth Israel Hospital by 9:30am. Got there on time and they gave me a buzzer and when it goes off that was time for prep. We (my hubby and I) sat in the waiting area until this thing buzzed...then I started crying and they told my husband they will let him in later.

They got me all ready for surgery and my husband was allowed to come in. We said some prayers and I made him do a before photo with all the marker markings made from the plastic surgeon. I was still very scared and nervous. The doctor came in again and spoke to my husband and answered all his last minute questions. I was glad for that. We kissed and I was wheeled into surgery which six hours later it turned out good:happydance:. I woke up and my husband was the first I saw. I was super happy and very scared to look under the covers now.

Then on Sunday May 27 I felt this pain in my right new breast that omg words could't express it the doc was called in and he said it was a blood clot building up and everyone in the room had to step out and he and his team did their work right there. I started out being awake but by time he was done I was knocked out cold. I was so happy he was around at the right time. 

I have a follow up appointment with the plastic surgeon tomorrow so, I hope me and hubby are doing things okay. The drainage's are a bit discomforting to do but we get it done. I am still very sore but once things heal it would look better....I hope anyway. I find it hard to look at myself right now.  its really not a pretty sight to see...I thought looking at other women will help me but seeing it first hand on my own body is just a shock for me.

Other then the look I am doing good and coming along well.

• hopeful24
    edited June 2013
    Options

No, I did not get on the trial. I had already purchased it by the time I found out that BRAVA basically lied to me and the trial was still on.

Despite the fact that I paid for rush shipping, I still haven't been able to use it! BRAVA did not send the information on how to use it with one breast (my ps has done it many times, but not on one breast) and the PA who was supposed to contact them last week left town without telling anyone if she did.

So, here I sit, 27 days before my first fat graft, hoping that my surgery isn't postponed again.

• GreenCowgirl
    edited June 2013
    Options

hopeful,  that is terrible to left up in the air.  How frustrating!!  I know i saw a brava journey on here, maybe she has some knowledge on it??

• hopeful24
    edited June 2013
    Options

And, no cooperation from BRAVA so far. It's always said when someone has a monopoly on something and takes advantage of people because they know they can't go anywhere else.

My PS called me yesterday afternoon to tell me he had another call into BRAVA. So far, neither of us can find the details on how to do it with one breast.  I'm going to search through this site again.

• GreenCowgirl
    edited June 2013
    Options

What the heck!!!  I thought the idea was to do a trial, have it go well, then bring Brava to the general public and the company makes tons of money.  I wonder if another company has a similar product they may bring out soon.

• hopeful24
    edited June 2013
    Options

It's in brava'sbest interest to stop the trial, charge people full price and get quicker approval to go mainstream.

I'm sorry, but my experience with them is not good and I am not giving them any credit at this point. No matter how many times I call or write, I can't get past the one salesperson who l knows nothing and makes me feel like an idiot if I ask a question (she always laughs and tells me to look at the video, which doesn't even deal with reconstruction patients).

Today I am red and in a lot if pain so it doesn't look like I'm even using it tonight. I also feel housebound like this since its too sore to put a prosthetic on.
  • EileenKaye1
    EileenKaye1 Member Posts: 166
    edited June 2013
    Options

Hi hopeful--I am a uni--using brava for over one year. I might be able to help --but am unclear regarding problems with the dome, and sports box. Perhaps you could clarify your issues--and I could try to help. Eileen

• goodrhue
    goodrhue Member Posts: 22
    edited July 2013
    Options

hopeful24 - I'm surprised BRAVA didn't set you up with a phone appointment with their coach, Darlene.  She talked me through putting the BRAVA on (also a uni) while she was on the phone and also responded quickly when I had some follow-up questions.  I've used it before and after 2 procedures so far and getting ready for my 3rd next Friday.  I'm not wearing my regular prosthesis at all-  using my "swimming boob" which is softer and concave so not much right up against the fat grafting area, with just a camisole and not my usual underwire bra.  

My understanding is that the clinical trial never paid for the BRAVA, and neither does insurance.  My doctor (Dr. Khouri) was pretty up front about that.

I hope your first procedure went well!

• hopeful24
    edited July 2013
    Options

To catch up a little... I had issues with a BRAVA "salesperson" who intercepted all my phone calls and emails. i couldn't reach Darlene at all for a month. I finally called and used the opportunity of my (very unhelpful salesperson) not answering to ask for a supervisor. Since that time, I have been speaking to Darlene and she's helped me tremendously.

As for my procedure, well things continue to not be easy. I was up at Mayo for my fat graft last weekend and received a call two hours after I arrived that my ps was in a serious accident! He's going to be OK, but it may be a very long time before I can operate. After exploring (and exhausting) all midwest options, I've ended up at Dr. Khouri's.

The plan is for me to use the turbo all week and have the first fat graft Friday. He wants to also work on fixing my stomach scar and reducing my right breast (which came out too big from the diep flap -- so much for the theory that you lose a good portion of the fat put in!). It's more surgery than I was prepared for now, but doing a bit more now won't leave me with such a big one at the end.

I can't say my first experience at Dr. Khouri's was the greatest. I felt rushed after waiting two hours, but I was squeezed in so I hope there will be more time to answer my questions in the next few days.

If anyone will be down here, please get in touch. I'm pretty much alone. My mom will be there for moral support, but she is disabled and lost most of her eyesight so she's not really staying around. It looks like we're going to get a nurse to stay with me overnight since no one else I know is available.

Maybe the next one will go smoother with advance notice.

Marcia

• GreenCowgirl
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Marcia HOw did the fat grafting go ? Sadly Dr Saint-Cyr was not able to do it due to his big accident. He is back in clinic this week, and has some surgerys scheduled for oct. He did not do my exchange and I am quite unhappy with the result, hope I can meet with him and discuss options, fat grafting being one.
  • hopeful24
    edited October 2013
    Options

Hi!

I've been through two fat transfers at the Miami Breast Center. The results -- though a lot less than I expected at this point -- are very good. I'm just overwhelmed by the pain, recovery, time-consuming and financial burden of it all. It's absolutely nothing like the plan Dr. Saint-Cyr laid out for me.

Fat transfer #1 was at the end of July. It included working on my stomach scar and reducing my other breast. I was in surgery six hours and they don't keep patients over night so I was in extreme pain and dripping blood when I went back to the hotel! I had to hire a nurse to be with me (my insurance will only pay if it's after hospitalization). I had swelling on a nerve during fixing my stomach and weeks 3-5 after surgery were horrible, sciatica-like through my back, hip and legs.

I had just a one week break off the BRAVA before I had to start again, leaving me tied to the machine and sleepless by night, or neck/shoulder pain if I wore it during the day. Forget about a social life. After four weeks, I had to start the hand pumping. (I couldn't take the pain of the turbo machine) Dr. Khouri was disappointed that I hadn't used it enough, but I told him I did as much as I could handle the pain, even taking vicodin to get through it.

My second surgery was pretty much the same as the last -- lipo, fat grafting into left breast, fixing stomach scar and working on right breast. I was rather disappointed that he focused on my "cleavage" rather than putting more fat in the middle breast. He also told me I'd probably need two more surgeries instead of one since I'm not stretching enough. I had a friend come and helping me at the hotel, but morphine pills did nothing with the bruised spine I ended up with.

I left Florida (have to stay in a hotel for a week) with a splint on the fat grafted breast and kinesic tape around the other. I have to keep those on for four weeks, then another four weeks of BRAVA. He wanted me to continue the cycle to a december surgery, but I just can't do it. I'm still taking vicodin and sometimes morphine.

I did hear he was back and am coming to Mayo to see him in December (as well as getting my yearly cancer check). I'm hoping to get back on track with him to finish up in January, if it's still possible after Dr. Khouri went on his own course. I'm sure the skin tucked in won't be so easy to open up any more.

• GreenCowgirl
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I cant believe what you have endured! You have been through way to much!! Not keeping you overnight at the hospital is unreal when you are in such pain. Mayo sends you home the same day If your pain/symptoms are managed. I talked to Dr Saint-Cyr today, we talked a bit about what I had been through and touched on how he was doing. He did his first surgery yesterday after returning and he felt really good about it. He is such a great PS, I am really torn with who to continue my revisions/grafting with. I hope you can give yourself a break and continue with Dr Saint-Cyr.
  • hopeful24
    edited October 2013
    Options

I actually talked to Dr. Saint-Cyr yesterday too. I guess he was making calls once he knew he was ready to operate.

I'm awaiting a call back with my appt in Dec. They are trying to coordinate it with the Breast Cancer center so that I don't have to make two trips. And, of course, they want to confirm that I am cancer-free before doing anything else.

I am pretty sure I will be going back to Mayo. He was rather silent when I explained everything, especially the krazy-glued splint.

• SheSteen
    SheSteen Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2013
    Options

Had bilateral mast, 4 + nodes, axillary disssection, chemo and rad. Currently have expanders, awaiting exchange for final implants. After reading, not sure if will ask for the lipo to fill in ripples w/ fat.

On fat tranfer and BRAVA, know someone who had Dr. Khouri and used Brava to mold a new breast totally from fat. Few things: she is generally happy w/ results. But, she had LOTS of issues in the process. Did have fat necrosis, (expect it), which became hard lumps, some traveled all the way around to backside. Not just contained in frontal breast area. Since The fatty deposits can separate into oily cysts, which feel like lumps, and hers traveled, it was worrisome and she had to have it tested as she didn't know what it was in her backside. Then her breast got too large (perhaps Dr. K put too much extra to overcompensate for the fat that will inevitably "die", not sure..), and she needed a reduction, she endured MANY multiple procedures, more than was told in the beginning, and etc. Dr. K's technique does involve LARGE amounts of fat transfer and stem cells, which is different from standard lipo fat used to fill in a few ripples as is common in reconstruction by many PS. AM told that Stem cells are used by Dr. K and Brava to help "regenerate" the blood supply and even in some cases, sensation returns; however, using stem cells this way is also very new and experimental, and it is yet unclear if using stem cells this way can be risky, health-wise, as asking 40 or 50 year old stem cells to create and turn into something new can be taxing, when they are already pre-programmed w/ a "shelf-life" from birth. But: using regular ol' cleaned liposuction fat to simply pad a few localized areas where implant leaves a ripple or dent does not use stem cells this way, and is generally considered safe in most situations. Necrosis and calcifications can still occur, but less so, as uses much less fat and using it differently; am also told that fat calcifications are distinguishable on Mammo from cancer; it's more a matter of whether or not one wants to risk the stress and worry. Was told most fat "balls" can be massaged out.

Hope this helps. Please check to verify this kind of stuff w/ real doctors. As all of us, though well-intentioned, are patients and not doctors. Good luck to everyone.

• SheSteen
    edited November 2013
    Options

ON fat transfer via liposuction w/ implant reconstruction: Getting expanders out soon, final implants put in. Some PS said would fill in over brst w/ lipo from love handles or inner thighs, during same procedure; others said would do only if needed, later, after healing. I am small framed with not lots of fat.

Anyone had small bits of liposuctoin fat from love handles or inner thighs put in/around implants to fill out rippling or shape?

Did taking small amounts leave either broad dents or local dimples in either love handles or inner thighs? Did it make those areas uneven? worse shaped after?

Thank you.

• Mallory107
    Mallory107 Member Posts: 14
    edited November 2013
    Options

SheSteen- I just had this procedure done last week although they took the fat from my stomach and not hips/thighs. The area where they filled in the ripples looks amazing! So far so good though as some can be reabsorbed I guess. I am surprised how much better it looks as I was unsure what to expect. The areas on my stomach where the fat was taken look fine. He took some from the belly button which has left only a slight bruise and a little from each side a bit under. You really can't even tell anything different in those areas, just a little red mark the size of a pinpoint.

The pain from this procedure was pretty minimal too. I would definitely do it again as it was much easier than I anticipated it being. Hopefully my good results stay!

• kareenie
    kareenie Member Posts: 97
    edited November 2013
    Options

shesteen i know for a fact dr khouri uses regular old lipo suctioned fat. he does not concentrate the stem cells or add anything . you may have misunderstood the fact that regular old liposuctioned fat naturally contains stem cells.

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461
    edited December 2013
    Options

Kareenie is correct. Dr. Khouri does not concentrate stem cells for fat grafting.

• SheSteen
    edited December 2013
    Options

Kareenie, Dancetrance, Thank you for clarifying on Dr. Khouri's technique. Wishing all the very best.

• GreenCowgirl
    edited December 2013
    Options

has anyone had problems with large fat necrosis areas?  I have two the size of a large almond under the skin and want to know ways to remove.  they have been there since the masectomy feb 28 2013, so I don't see them dissolving or massaging away without interevention.

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461
    edited December 2013
    Options

I have numerous small fatty cysts (none larger than the size of a pea). They don't bother me so I have not thought about removal.

• GreenCowgirl
    edited December 2013
    Options

dancetrance    My lumps are about the size of an almond under the skin and drive me crazy.  I have found a couple wireless padded bras that help hide the lumps under clothes pretty well.  I have a pS appy jan 14 so we will see what they have to say.

Nancy

• hopeful24
    edited January 2014
    Options

yes, there can be many complications with brava fat grafting. I've had a number if then, but mostly my body is totally exhausted and beat up from so many surgeries.