Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Team ILC Warriors

Options

Comments

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    Options

hartrish,

Glad you made the best decision for you. I am almost 1 yr out from DIEP, its been a long year. You will have Doppler to monitor your new breasts which check for blood flow to the transplanted tissue. I think I was in ICU for 2 days and in hospital a total of 5. I think its harder on family/friends waiting while you are sleeping the day of surgery. Mine was 12 1/2 hrs. The waiting is torture but it will pass. All the best to you. I have had 2 more surgeries since and have 1 more planned. I have no regrets. Please let us know how you are doing.

Lemon

• hartrish
    hartrish Member Posts: 290
    Options

thank you Lemon. I have a question. What is the best method for getting out of bed the next day? Did you use your arms or not? I want to givemy incisions time to heal without a lot of pushing or pulling.

• lisa137
    lisa137 Member Posts: 32
    Options

I didn't have reconstruction, but after my BMX my way of getting out of bed was to sort of do a fetal position roll until my feet managed to find the floor, and work my way up from that. I learned really quickly that if I felt like I needed to pee I'd better go ahead and start the process of getting out of bed right then, because it might take me a minute or two to get upright. Having someone give a nice push from behind helps.

• hartrish
    Options

thanks lisa137. Want to protect my incisions as much as possible and be safe as well. Can't wait to be on the other side of surgery. At times I am anxious about the surgery but looking forward to it as well

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626
    Options

if you have a recliner it's good to sleep in it instead of bedwith pillows under your arms

• hartrish
    Options

Thanks Chloesmom. Appreciate your feedback. I do have a recliner so I think I am good to go at home.

• Janetanned
    Janetanned Member Posts: 118
    Options

Hartrish - While in the hospital you will be able to use the hospital bed to put you in a sitting position.  From there, you can slide out of bed without too much trouble.   You will also have help from the nurses the first few times you get out of bed.  I agree with Chloesmom - a recliner is a wonderful piece of furniture for those who have had DIEP reconstruction.  I slept in mine for weeks after surgery.  Before surgery, I set up a little area for me to recover in.  I used a spare bedroom with an attached bathroom.  I had my recliner, a TV with remote and a side table to hold medicine, tissues, water, reading material and my cell phone.  Before my husband left for work, he made certain I had everything I needed right next to me. I just sat, slept and recovered for a few days. It was the perfect set up for me.

• Chloesmom
    Options

I set up recliner covered with a flannel sheet to make it soft. Side table with stuff like water bottles. Arm pillows to keep shoulders relaxed. Airline type neck pillow to keep head supported when asleep. Got very soft loose PJs with top that buttons

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    Options

Hatrish,

I also did the recliner when I got home. And did the same had my meds, water, etc right next to me. The belly incision is where you will feel the pain, that's what I remember the most once home. And when I immediately woke up I had horrible pain in my chest, I thought it was my heart but it was the shaving of the rib that was so sore. No one told me about that but I do think it passed by the time I left hospital. Showers are the worst thing because of the drains. Prepare now. I used a cloth belt around my neck and clipped the drains to it, still not easy. You are going to be okay, that morning is a blur to me. I was scared so I just kinda removed myself from what was happening. I think back now and I feel so brave. I don't think I am yet used to my new body. The scars don't bother me at all but sometimes I think of what I looked liked previously. I took a picture of my breasts the night before, I liked them but they had to go. Take lots of pictures when you get home so you can chronicle it for yourself. Mine changed by the week. The advice I got here was priceless and the support I will always be grateful of. I did have skin and nipple sparring so my belly skin was tossed. My nipples lived but as time passed and things changed they are very cross-eyed if you know what I mean. My doc will be fixing them soon. Are you doing sparring?

I didn't have any problem moving my arms unless it was over my head. Almost impossible to wash my hair when first getting home. Have someone help with that. I couldn't lay in the bed but once I could I rolled out. Its a year on May 5th for me and I still feel the belly hurting and there are days I still roll to get up. I know your going to do great! If you have questions please feel free to PM me anytime :)

Best- Lemon

• hartrish
    Options

thanks lemon68. I cannot do nipple sparing because my tumors are to close and we don't want to take a chance. I hope I only go through this once. I know that is what we all hope for. Thanks for the info. I do find the site very supporting and everyone so willing to share.

• hartrish
    Options

thanks Janetanned. I have a recliner and will set up a space like you suggested. My husband and daughter will be with me during the first couple of weeks. Thanks for sharing with me.

• taniae
    taniae Member Posts: 60
    Options
    The first few weeks are always the hardest. I also used my recliner day and night during the first few weeks. I also used a breast care pillow which is a small padded pillow to place under the arm on the side you had your surgery for support. My hospital gave one to every breast cancer patient upon leaving, it was my saviour.
  • hartrish
    Options

thanks TaniaE. I will have to see if the hospital provides those pillows.

• jcfree
    jcfree Member Posts: 30
    Options

I have ILC so guess I am a Team ILC Warrior? Scheduled for masectomy next Tuesday on right side. Great posts on this thread of how to cope post surgery with good suggestions I will be following for sure. I just want it done and hope for a good recovery with no complications. Have not decided if I want reconstruction. Will decide that later. Just got through with chemo now surgery coming up. Such brave souls here, hope to be that too.

• Bec65
    Bec65 Member Posts: 84
    Options

jcfree, congratulations on good treatment so far! I'll keep good thoughts for you next week!

• suegr8
    suegr8 Member Posts: 138
    Options

Good news from recent MRI and mammogram - 3 years out from surgery and all is well. Tamoxifen is working for me.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    Options

ThumbsUp

• hipline
    hipline Member Posts: 72
    Options

5 years and NED. Here's to 5 more!

• Bec65
    Bec65 Member Posts: 84
    Options

Congratulations, Hipline!

• JerseyGirl22
    JerseyGirl22 Member Posts: 186
    Options

I have ILC, so I guess I'm a Team ILC Warrior! I always say we all need to warrior on, so I guess I fit in here.... 4 weeks out from BMX, no recon. Had 5/23 nodes positive, but more scar tissue than cancer in nodes and tumor... Heading for radiation Jan.18th - 5days week/6week and Herceptin will finish in July... BS says chemo and hormonal therapy worked, and that they got all the nasty out of me, so here's to everything else being mopped up by rads and moving forward...

Congrats to everyone out here!

Warrior on!

• Gohan1983
    Gohan1983 Member Posts: 34
    Options

Dear brave Ladies! I wish you health and luck! You are able to defeat this crabThumbsUpHeart

614 Member Posts: 398
    Options

I was diagnosed with pleomorphic ILC so I guess that I am a "Warrior" as well.  Good luck to everyone here and Happy New Year.

• kaydeesmiles
    kaydeesmiles Member Posts: 201
    Options

614, you are very welcome here. These ladies are so very kind and full of information that will hel help you make it through.

A very happy and healthier new year to you too and to us all.

• bluejeanne
    bluejeanne Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi Team ILC Warriors, As always when i start to read from others diagnosed with ILC I am so humbled, and grateful. Love to all of you courageous women.

614 Member Posts: 398
    Options

Thank you so much.

I have already completed my tx.  I just get very concerned because it is so hard to diagnose lobular carcinoma.  It worries me that ILC or LCIS may be present but may not show up on imaging tests.  It is a "sneaky" cancer. 

I finished my radiation in October 2014 and since then, I had an MRI guided biopsy in May 2015 and a core needle biopsy in November 2015.  May - 7 different benign findings.  November - ALH.  I have "busy breasts". 

I trust my Mo and my RO so logically, I know that I have nothing to worry about.  However, it is still hard to stop worrying.

Good luck to all of you and thanks.

• stellamaris
    stellamaris Member Posts: 313
    Options
    Hello Everyone - thank you for the posts and the opportunity to share. I was diagnosed with ILC in Oct 2015. I have been wondering if there are any stats on how often BCS fails to clear the margins when it is ILC. I know that hindsight is 20/20, but I think if I had known I would ultimately have 3 surgeries, I would have gone for MX from the outset. My MRI also failed to show the tumour.
  • stellamaris
    stellamaris Member Posts: 313
    Options
    Hi Chloesmom: Just noticed your post. My ILC is also PR- and my onco score is 27. My MO did not recommend chemo, and I am wondering if you have read anything specific about PR-ILC?
  • Chloesmom
    Options

No info on PR- My MO recommended the chemo but didn't insist. I decided if it was 25 or over I'd go for it as my family members typically live into their 90s and I wanted to leave no stone unturned.

• mmshea
    mmshea Member Posts: 1
    Options

I was diagnosed two days ago with ILC. In the information gathering stage and so glad I found this group of women. I meet with BS next week but trying to educate myself on what my surgical options will be. Just thankful to have found a group of women going through the same thing as I feel so alone right now. Be well.

Megan

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    Options

Hi Megan, welcome........