Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

"Gummy Bear" Implants anyone have them?

Options
tangles
tangles Member Posts: 211
edited November 2018 in Breast Reconstruction

My PS just got the new what the call Gummy Bear implants in. He said it would be a good option for me. Anyone have them and have any opinions on them??

Comments

• bren58
    bren58 Member Posts: 688
    Options

I got them 3+ years ago as part of the clinical trial. Before that I had saline implants for 9 years. I like the "gummies", they are much better than the saline ones and will not leak like standard silicone implants can. The only negative I have about them is that they are always cold, meaning that my foobs always feel cold to the touch. But once you get used to that, they are a great option.

• 1openheart
    1openheart Member Posts: 250
    Options

Hi tangles....I have a cohesive silicon implant (gummy bears).  My UMX was in June of 2011.  So far, no real big problems.  When we did the lift on my natural breast 6 mos after my mastectomy, my doctor also removed the implant in the reconstructed breast and took some additional stitches along the outside edge nearest my armpit.  My implant was moving nearly into my armpit whenever I would flex my arm or pec.  It was driving me batty!! Since then the implant moves much less.   I do have some rippling along that edge, but everyone who has seen my reconstruction and lift (doctors, nurses, other women who have had reconstruction) seem to be very impressed with the job that my PS did for me.  It has stayed soft, has a nice drop and is an amazingly good match with my lifted natural breast.  I see that you have tissue expanders in place.  My PS did a direct to implant procedure.  I woke up from my mastectomy with my implant in place.  It was rough for a few weeks.  I took a lot of Soma (muscle relaxer), but I am glad that I was able to go that route.

Good luck as you move forward with your reconstruction and treament.  

• jaegergirl
    jaegergirl Member Posts: 24
    Options

Initially my PS was going to use the anatomical gummy bears. But as the expansion process when on and as she watched how my body reacted, she would go back and forth as to what she thought would give me the most natural appearance. She felt cohesive rounds would look to fake (which was not the look I wanted) so it was a choice between the traditional silicone rounds and the gummy bear anatomicals. When it came time for my exchange, she has both of them in the OR and tried them both. My chest ended up being too narrow for the gummy bear implant and she didn't like the way they looked so she went with the silicone. I have mixed feelings about it. I was really hoping for the gummies because they don't leak and I thought there was less chance of rippling but I trust my PS and she did what she thought would look best. So I am happy either way. =)

• mittmott
    mittmott Member Posts: 17
    Options

I had regular silicone implants about 6 years ago.  I didn't like the way one side looked.  (I had a lat flap and implant on the left, and just an implant on the right.) I went in for a revision, my doctor used the gummy  (also a trial).  Didn't see much of a difference, or feel much of a difference in the implants. I was not told they don';t leak.

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308
    Options

I have "gummy bears", Allergan 410's, I am in Canada where they are part of the standard choice.  I am very happy with them.  I've had them for a couple of years, they are a bit cool to the touch, but I'm used to it now.  I like the slope in the upper pole area & didn't want it to look like I'd had breast augmentation.

• tangles
    Options

My PS said with my thin skin it would be a good choice as the others have a chance of rippling. I have a friend with saline implants and she said she has rippling on her sides. The one sample I felt in the office felt heavy. That scares me. I already feel like I am hauling around BRICKS on my chest with the TE I want some relief from that for sure! I do like the fact they look more real and not like round balls stuck on your chest. Are they only cold to the touch or is it like when you go out in the cold your chest is cold. Im confused?

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,755
    Options

Just wanted to point out that all silicone implants are now cohesive gels, not just gummies, and do not leak. Gummies are considered true cohesive gels, thus firmer, but the liquid silicone that could leak, has not been used for many years in any silicone implant. That should not be a concern when making implant decisions.

• bren58
    Options

Tangles, I also had rippling with my salines due to thin skin. I have no rippling with gummies. I find that the gummies are only cold to the touch, I do not notice that they feel any colder when I go out in the cold. I also do not notice that they feel heavy and I am on the thin side, my implants give me about a 34C. Maybe if they were larger they might feel heavy. Good luck with your decision.

• tangles
    Options

so bren did you have tissue expanders? I am at 380 now and want to be a full C so he is thinking about 500. He said with the gummies you do not need to overfill which would be nice but not a deal breaker......

• cathyann
    cathyann Member Posts: 122
    Options

Tangles:

I had UMX and I'm nearing my TE exchange.  I'm going with the new "gummies".  There isn't very much info on these, but I'm trusting my PS.  Have you had a chance to hold one and see for yourself what they feel like?  They are supposed to be safer than the old silicone ones.  I originally was going with the saline ones until I saw the gummies.  When is your exchange?

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

The "old silicone ones" are not used any more. Those would be the ones filled with liquid silicone that could leak if punctured. All current silicone implants, gummies or not, are cohesive gels. If the shell is punctured, the thick silicone gel remains quite solid like a very firm Jello. They do not run like the silicone of yesteryear. So, concerns over leakage of silicone should not be an issue. The shells of all implants, silicone, saline or gummie are silicone.

Caryn

• bren58
    Options

tangles, I did have tissue expanders back in 2000 when I had my BMX. When I got the gummies, it was just an exchange of the saline ones.

• tangles
    Options

cathy my exchange wont be until I am done with chemo. I go for chemo #3 this coming Friday and then I will be half way done. If my blood work is good each month I should be done with Chemo on May 24th then I have to wait 3 to 4 weeks for the exchange. It sounds like forever!! I do have some time to make up my mind. I just keep thinking I found out I had breast cancer at thanksgiving which seems like yesterday, but is nearing 3 months now so hoping the next 3 months go as fast as I HATE these TE more then anything!!!

• cathyann
    cathyann Member Posts: 122
    Options

Tangles  It does feel like forever with the TE but it will be worth it in the end.  At least your going to be half way done soon.  My exchange is in the first week of April and I can't wait to get this "Turtle Shell" out..  I've had a long road too. I found out I had cancer last May, then went through all the test.. and had first surgery in July (Lumpectomy), which the margins didn't come back good, so in Sept I had the MX.  So for me, It's almost a year from start to finish.

• tangles
    Options

cathyann good luck with your exchange next month. PLEASE keep us updated on how it went. I have a countdown app on my smart phone and look at it everyday counting down the last chemo 9 more weeks. Then the TE out, then radiation, I wont finish treatment until Feb 1 2014 as I have a year of HER2, but Im sure after Chemo and TE exchange the rest will be all downhill!!!

• tangles
    Options

Well after many sleepless nights and lots of research I have decided NOT to go wit the gummy implants. I had a long conversation with my PS and because my chest only measures 13 the largest projection I can go would only be like 2" the largest for my 13 chest would be 475cc. I had 450cc of breast tissue removed. I am filled to 450 now. She said they have had several patients say please tell your patients getting these to go a little larger then you think as they come out looking smaller. Well I dont want smaller then I was, so therefore I will need to go with something else. We also discussed the firmness of them. That issue concerns me also. She said if you want the same size you were or larger not smaller you probably need to skip the gummy. I feel good that I have finally made a decision. I did address concerns of rippling and she said if that happens we can fat graft into those areas so dont worry about it. I still have until end of June but now I can put to rest what I am going to do!

• carries216
    carries216 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Did your sensation in your breasts and nipples return? After how long?

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

hi carries,

This thread hasn't been active in two years but perhaps I can answer your question. I have regular silicone implants, but the question of sensation is essentially the same. When you have a mastectomy, all underlying breast tissue, nerves, fat , blood vessels are removed.. All that's left is skin of the breast and nipple, if you've had nipple sparing surgery. You will regain some skin sensation, but not much else since the underlying breast tissue is gone. This can vary from person to person but it will never be the same as when the skin of your breast contained actual breast tissue.

• Horsefly
    Horsefly Member Posts: 4
    Options

I had gummy bear implants after a bilateral mastectomy in August 2018. I have decided to replace them with smooth rounds. Mine have never fit right, mainly bc the pocket was not large enough, and they’re firm and don’t look natural. I’m also concerned about the breast implant related lymphoma from textured implants. Anyone else have thoughts

• Horsefly
    Horsefly Member Posts: 4
    Options

Are you happy with your smooth round implants

• star2017
    star2017 Member Posts: 370
    Options

I thought my gummy bear implants were round/smooth. Maybe I’ve misunderstood.

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

Gummy bear was the term used to describe the tear drop shaped (anatomical), fully cohesive gel implants. Round implants can contain cohesive gel too, but they were not “fully” cohesive. This may have changed since my surgery, seven years ago

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,221
    Options

All silicone implants are made of cohesive gel - meaning that it doesn't leak out like liquid if the implant ruptures. If cut in half the anatomical implant will remain firmly intact, like a gummy bear - thus the name, and the round implant would behave more like a cube of jello. The difference is the density of the gel.

horsefly - when gummy bear implants are used the pocket has to be tight to keep the implant from rotating.

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261
    Options

Things have changed. Now the implants like Natrelle Inspira SC type implants have the fully cohesive gels. I have them and they are firm but I like the look.