Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

A place to greet and meet newbies to stage III

Options

Comments

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited March 2014
    Options

Art, I exercise every day, even if it is just a good, brisk walk.

I eat my meals at set times, more or less, and I do not skip meals.

My diet is high in veggies and low in sugar and refined carbs, so lots of salads and cooked veggies, no white rice, pasta, bread etc. For starch I have wholegrain bread or quinoa, lentils etc. From what I can read, it is important to eat a lot of fibre, some fatty fish, onions (fresh or dry, as well as garlic and leeks), cabbages (all kinds) and mushrooms. Go easy on fruit, as it has a lot of sugar, but DO eat some berries and apples.

• victoriasecret
    victoriasecret Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2014
    Options

Ok I will chime in and give my 2 cents lately because reconstruction is looming I have returned...If you go back to my early posts you will see I was in the shadow of the valley of death (love that line)thx big guy !!...

There was a book out back in the 70's or 80's..'At first you Cry"...which is so try but as time goes by you learn to live your "new life'...

Oh don't get me wrong you still return to that valley you just don't stay as long.

I remember a well meaning friend asking me "Stage three ..how are you coping with that diagnosis "

At my last rads appt. I was so happy to finally be done with treatment and again met a girl I had known at an excersize class ...1st freaking words out of her mouth ...What stage are you ...I'm stage 1...oh  really well good for you !!she totally deflated my morning but I figured her comments were coming from her own fear so let that go !! well sorta funny how it all boils up to the surface 4 plus years on...

So my point is LIVE LIFE !! I AM!!!

Hugs

Cheryl

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700
    edited March 2014
    Options

you go!,cheryl!

• lisa137
    lisa137 Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2014
    Options

Cheryl, if these posts had "like" buttons, I'd have clicked it on your post.

4sewwhat, you too. I love your attitude.

I'm still at the point where I go thru "omg IIIc!" moments and get depressed, but they are fewer and farther between. I'm sort of expecting to go thru a slump after radiation (I have one more chemo treatment) and worry over it more again for a while.... but I'm going to honestly try to allot myself 30 minutes at a time to worry about it and then MAKE myself go do something useful instead. We'll see how THAT works out.

• Tomboy
    edited March 2014
    Options

i am just wondering if anybody knows when they started dividing up stage lll into a, b, and c? i have done a lot of reading, and i havent ran into that anywhere. i mean, i had lots of positive nodes, and lymphovascular invasion and everything. which probably means, i had ctDNA in bloodstream, by the time of discovery. my own fault, i had stopped doing mammos, was reeeeally busy, and had some bad experiences at prior place of squashing. so i am believing that surgery removed all that, and radiation and chemo knocked out any remaining cells. i am willing to believe that it would be highly unlikely for my dna to make that mistake again. plus, breast surgeon told me herself, it was probably in there for eight years. and i did herceptin  even though i was equivocall. because. i am soo done with hormonals. they are a huge pain, and i cannot abide them. even after stopping tamox with oncs ok for two months, pain was reduced, but not gone. but the great part was, aside from that, i felt juicy, and happy, and creative! i felt stronger, and my endurance and energy level was skyhigh! i was getting so much done, and felt very much like my pre bc self. and i am only 3 weeks into femara and here goes: the hot and cold and back and forth. the back and rib pain increasing. and i have to start to wonder. when they gave women hrt, and then found out how harmful that was, how do they know stopping the estrogen from doing its job, isnt hurting us in other unforeseen ways? i mean, in other ways that we can't tell from physical symtoms yet. sorry, just a rant, i guess, and i didn't know where to put it. thanks.

• Deblc
    Deblc Member Posts: 154
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hello everyone, I was diagnosed in October, just finished AC and am now on the taxol/herceptin regimen. When I was first diagnosed (IIIC, node positive, HER2+)  I was very scared and depressed as I felt that, even with all the treatment, recurrence was very likely and I didn't know if I should suffer through all the treatment, with the stats being so dismal. Now that I am going through treatment there are days I still feel the same and wanted to stop (especially on the dreaded AC, it was awful !). Joining this board has helped so much with my outlook, so I just wanted to say THANK YOU to all the contributors who have educated me and given me hope and kept me going !!!!

• 4sewwhat
    4sewwhat Member Posts: 1,895
    edited March 2014
    Options

Debic!

The day they told me I was 22 nodes positive was the only day I thought the effing BC would be what took me out.  Even with chemo, rads, surgery and 10 years hormone treatments they say I still have 50% chance of mets. 

I say screw that. I'm done. It is NOT welcome back ever again!  I am coming up on the first anniversary of my diagnosis. I finished rads on 11/13 and I honestly don't think about it much. I did my time, served my sentence!  

It's a crap shoot. Someone with tiny cancer and the most aggressive treatment can lose the fight. Someone with a huge tumor and a ton of nodes can do less aggressive treatment and never have another problem. 

You just have to tell yourself that you did all you could and it worked.  Then comes the hard part. You have to believe it!  You can't dwell on it or you are letting it rob you. 

If. Big if. It shows up again we will deal with it. Kick it in the ass again and put it right back at the curb where it belongs!  Look how many times Fred put Dino back outside!!

Big hugs!  I know it's tough but where your head is plays a huge part in where your body follows. Remember, you had it, it does not have you!  Show it who is boss and move forward confident you did everything and beat it! No second guessing either. That was a tough one for me!

Awesome you are done with AC!  That's a huge milestone!  Onward and only upward!

• lisa137
    lisa137 Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2014
    Options

Oh, I should read here more often.

4sewwhat, I love love love your entire post and agree with and relate to all of it but this:

"Look how many times Fred put Dino back outside!!"

made me laugh for the first time in this entire day and it's almost bedtime. Actually well past bedtime.

Thank you so much for that. :)

• yogamama
    yogamama Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi ladies.  It's been both fun and disturbing to read these posts.  All of us, I think, are looking for a sign that we aren't all doomed by this.  I'm really looking for a success story to hang on to.  I want to be there for my kids at high school gradations, college, weddings, grand kids….but, I'm having a hard time seeing myself there, hanging by a thread to Stage III.  I want at least 20 more years!  Is it that we are all looking for this story, and those people aren't here on this site anymore?  Where do I find them?  

• fredntan
    fredntan Member Posts: 237
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi sisters,

just thought I would chime in, I don't post often. I've gotten everything I need from BC.org. so I don't come back much.

I am halfway through my treatment for stage four. Dr Dicke initially told me it would take a year to get me to NED. Am doing well. little anemic today. was supposed to get blood today, but they were booked. so tomorrow. I'm at Arlington cancer Center in Texas. I relocated myself here. he has excellent track record of mets survival if caught early. mine was.  will have several years of maintence chemo until the cancer just give the F up.

so it does make a difference when you find mets. I'm not afraid of it anymore. I am steel. 

you girls need IMO to have yearly scans-pet/bone scans. contrary to what east coast doctors say about the radiation. I was taking care of a lung patient last sept. she was 10 years out and got yeary pet scans, same with the bladder cancer patient. she had same doc as I had. lung cancer patients dont have that crazy protocol saying it makes no difference. that because most docs won't do anything.

I have much hope here at ACC

• 4sewwhat
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi Fred!  Nice to see you.  Glad to hear things are going pretty good.  I remember seeing your posts when you wend from 3 to 4.  That was a scary time me for you so I'm glad things are good!

Yogamama, you are in the scariest part right now.  Your head spins in the beginning.  So much, so fast it's hard to wrap our head around.  Do you have a treatment plan yet?  It's like I told my kids......I needed them to believe I was strong enough to fight this.

That's what you need to believe too. You ARE strong enough to kick this before you let it kick you!  You can do it.  The journey might suck but you will get to the good side of this again.  You just have to believe you CAN do it!

Lisa, I'm good for a laugh almost any time!!  You should check out the bonfire thread too. We have lots of laughs there.  Fun group of ladies!

Hey, do I see you are headed for that final cocktail drip soon too?  Congrats!!

• yogamama
    edited March 2014
    Options

Thank you, 4sewwhat!  I'll keep re-reading that often.  You and I are not far from each other….I'm in Columbus, GA.

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi Ladies,

Fred It's good to see you a doing well!

Kathec> The differential of Stage IIIB and Stage IIIC came right before my Dx may 2005, hence my Dx Stage IIIC .

DebIc: I am her 2 pos. stage IIIC and was dxed in May 2005. I am fine now. Hold on to that!

• 4sewwhat
    edited March 2014
    Options

Yogamama!  We should do lunch!!

• yogamama
    edited March 2014
    Options

4sewwhat- a meet up in Callaway Gardens, perhaps???  

• 4sewwhat
    edited March 2014
    Options

I'm sure we can figure out something soon!  I will be gone 4/7-4/12 and then we can plan something!

• art133
    art133 Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2014
    Options

hallo everybody... may i know how many chemo did you have? :)

• Tomboy
    edited March 2014
    Options

..i had six, but it depends on your diagnosis, as to what kind or how many.

4sewwhat; i keep meaning to tell you that i love your little fish avatar, and the meaning you gave , as to why you chose it! i read it on another thread, i think! youre a strong gal!

• Cannoli1
    Cannoli1 Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hello everyone. I am a "newbie" to Stage III BC. In January, I was actually diagnosed with what by breast surgeon thought was Stage II, but, in February, after surgery for a double skin and nipple sparing mastectomy and tissue expander breast reconstruction, my cancer was found to be Stage IIIa due to the involvement of 7/16 lymph nodes. I had my first of 8 rounds of chemotherapy about a week and a half ago, and I will follow chemotherapy with 25 rounds of radiation. I had a PET Scan 2 weeks ago that showed, thankfully, that I am currently cancer free, but I am still so frightened of everything I will need to go through the next 4-5 months in terms of treatment. My oncologist said that my prognosis is good if I follow her treatment plan, only about a 15% chance of my cancer ever returning during my lifetime, but I so just want to feel normal again. I have a very supportive husband; he is a blessing. My employer has allowed me to work part-time from home while I am on chemotherapy, which I am also thankful for. Can anyone who has completed treatment for Stage III breast cancer let me know if feeling normal will ever happen again? When will I stop being afraid? Will I ever feel like just a normal functioning human being again; like a beautiful woman again?

• Tomboy
    edited March 2014
    Options

maybe not "normal" cuse diagnosis will color everything. but you will feel good enough, and you may funtion quite well, and i do feel like a beautiful woman! tomboy and everything1 but i do try a little arder to dress it up, make up, earrings etc. you will be fine, it may take some time, but it is like i have a new drive to get things done, that i care about, and enjoy the heck outta each day! please just give yourself time, and dont try to rush. you will just slowly notice..... good luck, and we are here for you!

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418
    edited March 2014
    Options

yoga mama, there are several threads in the lobular topic section that post 5 & 10 year cancer anniversaries. Stage 3 is scary, most of us had no idea when the first biopsy was done that it would turn out so advanced. 

Art, I had 8 dose dense chemo tx, 4 A/C & 4 Taxol...then 33 radiation tx...the A/C was the hardest for me, but everyone is different...

Cannoli, feeling normal is a slow process, and we are all different. I am 4 months post chemo, 2 months post radiation. Be gentle & kind to yourself. I know my expectations have changed so many times. Fatigue can be a real issue towards the end of chemo. 

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited March 2014
    Options

Cannoli - I'm a year out and my normal now is different than what my normal was before dx. 

Take it one day at a time - we are all different in the way we respond to dx and treatment.

Your beauty is within you.  

• peacestrength
    edited March 2014
    Options

Cannoli - just curious to what method your MO used to calculate the 15% you mention above?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 35
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi Cannoli,

Your story is like many of us Stage IIIers who orignally thought we were Stage II but found out we were Stage III after our pathology results following after surgery.  I initially thought I was Stage IIb after my diagnostic mammo and biopsy, but in reality my surgical patholgy showed more lymph node involvedment than previously thougtht.  I'm sorry you had to join the Stage III'ers, but we all get how you are feeling right now and hopefully you'll find the information and emotional support you need while on this scary journey.  So Welcome!

Oceana

marvelous-nicole-rodriguez.jpg (180×119)

• Cannoli1
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi peacestrength,

I am really not sure. When I went to see my oncologist, I asked her what the chances of my cancer returning were after treatment (chemo, radiation, and hormone pills), and she said that after looking further into the report that was generated from my surgery....about 15%. I am not sure what this is based off of. She did say that without treatment the odds of returning were 50 - 60%.

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418
    edited March 2014
    Options

Cannoli, I like your oncologist. I really am trying so hard not to focus on those #s...It is too stressful...but it is a slow process of acceptance.

• peacestrength
    edited March 2014
    Options

Thanks, Cannoli.  

Like Holeinone stated, stats can lead to stress.  My MO uses a database and enters bc grade, type, size, # of lymph nodes and the type of treatment.  Then, breaks it out per treatment and then finally all treatments used/received.  The result is several percentages.  It's just a database and I am not a stat so I take it with a cautionary ear.

• Diamond_lil
    Diamond_lil Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi all, staging is not an exact science in my experience. My node involvement would indicate a stage lll diagnosis, but my surgeon, onc and radiologist all say 2b. Their rationale seems to be based on the lymph nodes being "free" of one another and not adhered to each other or any structures. In saying that, the treatment is the same. 

Taxol # 1 of 12 weekly today..... I hope it goes as well as A/C did for me!

LIL

• Cannoli1
    edited March 2014
    Options

Holeinone,

From everything I have read, and everything I have been told by my doctors, I know I have every reason to stay positive. It seems as if all information leads me to the glass being much more than half full when it comes to a positive prognosis.

Has anyone had tissue expanders inserted at the time of a mastectomy? I am currently having my tissue expanders filled on my off weeks from chemo, but, the radiologist I will be seeing after chemotherapy has told me that my tissue expanders are in danger of being damaged from radiation.

Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks

• hopefour
    hopefour Member Posts: 104
    edited March 2014
    Options

Well Hello to our new sisters!!! You all are part of a great group of sisters who really get where each of you are..no loneliness here!!

Yogamama....Yoga is on my to do list...just never got to the top of my list..ugh!! There's lots of HOPE in stage III...............serious. yes, a fight. yes, life changing. yes...but many survive and live full lives!! Hold to Hope and research life style changes you may want to make to help you heal after treatment and regain your stamina!!

FRAN...love "seeing" you again!!! Girl please keep showing back up and up-dating us on all that is going on in your life!! Glad things are going well for you!!

Cannoll1...The change we all go through after treatment can make for a positive!! I learned not to but myself at the bottom of the list, to stop pleasing so many people and to take time to care of me...that is a good new norm for me and I bet you'll find that your new norm will be more positive too. Yes, the fear comes in waves and I really never know just when it will hit, but I don't let it take me down like it use to!!

DiamondIII...12 weeks will go by fast...maybe next each moment, but you'll get to the end of the taxol treatment and be surprised its really over!! Drink lots and walk...it helped me!!