Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

A place to greet and meet newbies to stage III

Options
1363738394042»

Comments

• kotchaj
    kotchaj Member Posts: 210
    Options

How are our Stage 3ers doing? I see that there has been no updates on this thread since last September. I'm stage 3C, Grade 2, 20/21 lymph nodes tested positive. I was diagnosed in June of 2021 and have been NED since finishing treatment.

I'd like to think that you all are out there so busy living your lives that you don't have time to drop in and update.

I'm working full time, just started a new job and I am struggling with a class that I have to take for the new position. Is it still chemo brain or is it my age, I'm 59. Things seem harder to do since diagnosis and I know part of it is mental. I also know that physically I'm slowly building my strength back up, but it's taking a very long time to do.

Hoping everyone else is hanging in there,

amanda

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,085
    Options

Amanda - my stage 3 IDC was a recurrence AFTER double mastectomy for DCIS in 2011 w/reconstruction. Finished all treatment in 2014 - so 10 years next year. I had a breast ULS yesterday - standard every 2 years. The radiologist says no signs of another recurrence & my implants look OK in spite being 12 years old. Fingers crossed I won't need those replaced anytime soon.

• kotchaj
    kotchaj Member Posts: 210
    Options

minustwo,

Oh my gosh, UGH. And with saying that, I'm so glad to hear that you had your ULS yesterday and that everything looks good! This gives me HOPE.

I've always been a "planner" and this shows me now that there's no way in h e doublehockeysticks that you can prepare yourself or plan. My goal is to just keep moving forward with the big BUT of if and when it happens, I will jump back in and do what I need to do to fight it again.

• thirdtime3
    thirdtime3 Member Posts: 2
    Options

This is my 3rd round with Breast cancer.

Right breast only. 1st time removed a 3mm spot with clear margins. Sentinel came back with a 14.

1 yr later found another rice sized lump on my scar. Also cancer. This time removed more with clear margins. Did 15 rds of radiation and 14 mo. of Anastrozole.

1 yr later find another rice sized lump. that later turned into scabs. Scabs started to multiply. Drs ignored for a yr as Mammo, US , PET and CT came bk negative. Had 2 punch biopsies that showed grade 3 IDC with Dermal invasion and can't find any Dr who does anything but the standard of care.

Now being told only Chemo with mastectomy and no reconstruction. Very frustrated.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,085
    Options

thirdtime - Sorry you're having to deal with this. I'm not sure where you are located but I would definitely get a 2nd opinion. Are you seeing a specialized breast surgeon? Have you actually talked to an oncologist yet?

First of all, a mastectomy at this point makes sense. And with IDC yes, you would likely be scheduled for chemo. It just depends if you are HER2 positive or negative whether chemo would be recommended Before or After surgery.

Second - I don't understand why no reconstruction. Maybe they can't save enough skin because of the dermal invasion? But I'd talk to another plastic surgeon too for a second opinion.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

come, @thirdtime3, we're so sorry you find yourself here. We can only imagine your frustration of having to go through all of this again. We're all here for you!

The Mods

• thirdtime3
    thirdtime3 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Follow up...I decided to do a q2 day alternative treatment that did dendritic, ozone, hyperbaric., stem cells and more. Have felt great but see my dermal invasion spread. Went for another 12 days round and it's still spreading however my oncologist says it's not showing anywhere except my right breast. He thinks that's because of my treatments but still recommends chemo. Mastectomy w no recon .

Am now in a special study for DNA and RNA Sequencing to tell me more about what type of tx my cancer will most respondcto. Also just had an RGCC study done and should have all the results back within 3 weeks. PET scans, CT and bone scan all showing only right breast but it clearly isn't well. Looks like i had a botched Mastectomy already and itches something fierce.

Sure hope some light shines soon.